cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 digits of SIM not visible on SELF SERVE?!

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Okay, so I think Public Mobile is trying to increase security and help prevent fraudulent SIM swapping - great!

But do they have to take away the visibility of the last 4 digits of the SIM card on our Self Serve account?

I know these digits by heart and would like to be able to see them when I want to.

I would prefer not going to the Moderators to confirm it.

esjliv_0-1615336313979.png

@CS_Agent 

39 REPLIES 39

@gpixel.. PM won't like it.. I think.. I seriously believe..  Activation, Fraud and SIM change should have a hotline.. and might even be done only via the hotline..

Activation is the first impression with new customer.. you dun want to make them upset the first day (some ppl actually found it trouble enough and left..)

Fraud is serious stuff involving money.. potentially causing more damages because of multi form authentication..

SIM swap can lead to Simjack/fraud 

@gpixel, but most ppl won't change SIM because they want a new SIM (it's not like upgrading a phone lol).

Most ppl change SIM because they lost the phone or the SIM somehow something wrong and not connecting to the neteork.. both cases they might not be able to reply YES to an SMS

@softech yeah...

I like what PM did on removing the change sim function, but there needs to be something more to protect the customer

there needs to be some sort of way we can approve the sim swap. if they can't confirm through text then they have to confirm through the email on the account

@softech 

Nice find....I only read the update edit this morning. I was on almost the entire day yesterday. I only found out about it after being corrected by other members that I was erronously giving those same instructions to a suspected sim swapped customer.

@darlicious 

i just re-read  the original announcement  quickly, Catherine original post still has this line

3. Confirm that the last four digits of the SIM card in Self Serve match the one in your device. If the digits do not match, you may have been targeted by a SIM swap fraud.

Maybe there is an update post after? (sorry, i didn't re-read the whole thread with all the replies after.)   If so, they should change that line.

I think a live hotline for Fraud issue is important.  Our whole procedure is based on ticket with mod and mod private message and ask you all the account details.

I still remember when I first joined and asked them to change some account issue.    I was new to the community and  I feel so uncomfortable someone private messaged me that and ask me all the verification questions.   Most people coming here for Simjacked help are not activate participants on the community.. and  i don't be surprise they feel uncomfortable, too.  I think just today or yesterday, someone made a post asking if it is safe to give out the pin to a mod who private message him. 

Lucky page.. it's a long read.. it is good info, but maybe too much info.. 

And i like they have a 1-800 number, assuming someone will pickup  .. actually, PM does, too.. except that goes directly to voice mail and voice mail already said "within 2 business days" (so, could be > 48hours)   😡

lucky mobiles fraud page is a good to read

https://www.luckymobile.ca/support/phone/protection-from-fraud

earlier post here said they did inform us.. did they?

honest an interesting move to remove the 4 digits.. i guess, before you fix something.. break it first .. LoL

@softech 

Ummmm....yes. Maybe @Melinda_H and @Alan_K  need to stay apprised of the discussion of what we think about this change. There seems to be a lot more brainstorming of practical fixes in the community than there is at head office.

just start reading this thread..

So, they removed the last 4 digits check on Self-Serve.. so, what should we do if we suspect we got Sim-jacked?  We can't check SIM # on file now ourselves. the only way to tell is to open ticket with mod?    

If it is just our phone not work and we just suspect if Simjacked, then we need to open ticket with Mod, isn't that Mod would get lots of work now?

@Anonymous 

As long as its a good okanagan vintners reserve. Can I assume its a red?

I'm sure there are many more millions of pm sim cards out there seeing as I have about 20 in my drawer waiting for the next time the bf loses his phone....and I have to contact the moderators to change the dang sim card! Good thing I know his pin#.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually I take my goofy scenario back. There are apps that can show you the SIM #. But you'd still have to fiddle around to dig it out of the app for those times you need to verify with it.

The wine is unfortified unlike ol' dave. 🙂

Hey @darlicious: more fodder for the univac...my SIM # of my first account is 288.2M after the zeros. My third account is 291.8M

But I seem to think the SIM # may not be sequential as they use check digits and whatnot in them. But whatever. 🙂

@Anonymous 

Are you sure you're not drinking fortified wine?

@gpixel wrote:

I hope pm is going to use this an authentication method. because without it the perpetrator still has the personal info. but they won't have the last 4 digits of the sim to verify to mods. I think that will be their best defense against sim changes 

The fraudsters may not have them nor will you if you don't have your phone. If a fraudster finds or steals your phone now they do have access to your sim card and a whole host of other things and if you don't know your pin# now what are going to do?

Pm has tried to fix one thing but has created a whole new slew of other issues along with it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : How am I not communicating properly. I've only had 1/8 cup of wine. 🙂

gpixel4 was mentioning using the SIM for verification....I interpreted that all the way out to...for whatever...not just needing to change SIM for whatever reason.

@Camera4617 

Unless its your personal card registered for autopay many customers don't have access to any of the other credit card info and that does not help anyone who does not have autopay.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious  hehe. Great.. Well, then we have to hope they do validate your identity. Some magic.. 

@Camera4617 

Moderators do not have access to the other numbers of your credit card only the last four digits.

@Anonymous 

So how do you use your sim card # to verify with a moderator so you can change your sim card after you lose or your phone is stolen? Or am I missing something here?

Camera4617

@darlicious  Or they could ask for 'masked credit card numbers' as it is not fully visible in profile.. There are 4-5 digits missing and that could be an option. But that's just my guess what they could ask.. Either PIN as you mentioned or 'CC' numbers. Not much else and this is beauty of 'pre-paid' service as there is not much info there like you have to do for 'post-paid' service. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

How do you access your sim card if you have actually lost or had your phone stolen?

I thought we were talking about verification...not _just_ change SIM.

@Camera4617 

Seeing as they have eliminated your dob from the new activation portal I believe the only thing not visible is your pin # and we know how many people forget that!

Camera4617

@darlicious Sure and I did not say this is a solution, but step to it. But till PM comes up with something, it is better (in my opinion) that you have to go through mod. I'm not sure what mods will do to ensure your identity but I assume (and hope) that will not be just info visible in the profile cause then there is no point. Except, maybe that will discourage them to do 'Sim Swap' which I doubt. 

@darlicious good point! hmmm

@Anonymous 

How do you access your sim card if you have actually lost or had your phone stolen?

@Camera4617 

Really this changes very little....if a fraudster can access your account to change your sim card then they have access to all of the info contained within. That means they can still convince a moderator to change the sim card in your account. Public Mobile needs to prevent fraudsters from accessing your account. As I've said before stopping the thieves at the door is your best defense! Just because they can't access your safe doesn't mean you can't rob you blind....

All pm needs to do is allow customers to change their log in credientials from their email to an actual username which makes it nearly impossible for someone to guess. This is not rocket science the ability to secure our accounts already exists pm just needs to enable it. Adding a verification question would take a little more work but a very reliable deadbolt is just sitting there waiting for pm to give us the key!

if they decide to proceed with using the same method as my last post, it should nullify all attempts of sim swaps. the only person who will have that number is the rightful owner. these sim swaps are caused by security breaches. from here on, there should be no mentions of sim swaps. if there is then mods aren't using it as verification and it will make this change very bad...

Camera4617

I think this is all temporary. While I don't care about last 4 digits if we are 100% safe from 'SIM Swapping', personally I'm not convinced that's the case. Time will say what PM will come up to solve this problem. If they do it right, I don't need to know what SiM is on their file. I never checked it when I was with Fido.. Never for 10 years as I did not have need nor I knew it is there. I get that 'SiM swapping' is fairly new issue but there are ways to solve it.

So, for time being, I'm happy that they removed 'sim change' while (if) they are working on some better solution. 

@HALIMACS wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@esjliv I asked them the exact same question. Unfortunately, there is no way for them to show the last 4 digits of the current sim card. However, sim swap fraud is very less likely to occur if this feature is not available to anyone.

We were pretty much on the POST button simultaneously there, @NDesai 

So I've never used the "Change Sim" function before so I can't attest to what the screens would have looked like - there's absolutely no functionality within that field to simply allow users to just view their SIM card?  

I cannot believe it cannot be done.  

I can't believe it either. Considering the sim card change feature linked to their systems would not be so easy to separate a piece out of the whole module. They preferred to add a simple text instead without an hyperlink to chatbot.

Need Help? Let's chat.