cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3g speeds throttled?

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I noticed in this posting https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/We-ve-Expanded-Our-Offerings-Introducin... that it's stated "Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 2.5 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network."  So I decided to test the 3g speed since 2.5Mbps is slower then what I got when I last tested 3g vs LTE speeds and I noticed that 3g speeds is a lot slower now. I still got faster then 2.5mbps but does this mean they will continue to slow it down?

16 REPLIES 16

choding
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As you have 3G, you get some stress about the speed of it.

you should go LTE plan because of download speed.

it is a funny story you have a newest phone but use the old techonology.

blessing.

B2 (1900 MHz) is still DC-HSPA in most markets.

jpar

@sheytoon wrote:

@lammer03 wrote:

@srlawren Well there is a difference between HSPA vs HSPA+ but they are both called 3g in Canada, just one is faster than the other in terms of receiving speed. What they give in Chatr is HSPA, what they give in Freedom mobile is HSPA+. It is not "throttling" its just how much speed they are offering, but if you call that "throttling" then thats what it is, but I don't call that "throttling" because they are not doing it purposely rather its "you pay for what you get" 

HSPA vs HSPA+ is a RAN distinction and there is no way for the 3G RAN to discriminate per subscriber to provide HSPA speeds. All subscribers have access to HSPA+ speeds, which should be up to 21 Mbps DL in marketing terms for SISO and 64QAM (realistic peak is 17-18 Mbps). HSPA (HSDPA) peak speeds are 14 Mbps DL in marketing terms for SISO and 16QAM (11-12 Mbps realistic). 42 Mbps is only achievable in Bell/Telus network by using dual-carrier or DC-HSPA, which is similar to Carrier Aggregation (CA) in LTE.

Now in terms of what @srlawren is saying, it's possible that Telus has created new profiles in their core network for new PM "3G only plan" subscribers where their speeds are limited to 2.5 Mbps.

Hasn't most of the DC-HSPA been decommissioned in favor of addtl LTE bands?

@lammer03

Your argument would be more valid if Public Mobile was a fully independent operator with their own infrastructure. This is not the case. They use the Telus core network and the shared Bell/Telus Radio Access Network. Any congestion on the network caused by PM subscribers would impact Bell and Telus (as well as Virgin and Koodo).

lammer03

@sheytoon @srlawren http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Smartphones_and_mobile_internet/What_is_HSPA_or_HSPA_plus

just because they advertise 21/42mbps download speed dont mean you get it, because of many factors that I listed above, I don't nesscessarily call it "throttle" either because like I said you pay for what you get. If you pay $100 you get the best network, you pay for $10 do you really expect to get the best network? Would you call this then throttling, I don't know because there is no such thing as free lunch and I know something cheap and top notch is rare to come by and usually would never be good. Kind of like spending money on a phone, the more expensive (iphone for example) the better faster faeatures vs cheaper budget phones like Moto series, dont mean they are "capping their resources" when they actually have the tool. It's who they are targeting their market towards. If you want faster network spend the money, if you dont care then don't. And if they do serve something so good for so little, everyone would jump on it and guess what, the speed is going to slow down a lot due to very high traffic.

@lammer03 wrote:

@srlawren Well there is a difference between HSPA vs HSPA+ but they are both called 3g in Canada, just one is faster than the other in terms of receiving speed. What they give in Chatr is HSPA, what they give in Freedom mobile is HSPA+. It is not "throttling" its just how much speed they are offering, but if you call that "throttling" then thats what it is, but I don't call that "throttling" because they are not doing it purposely rather its "you pay for what you get" 

HSPA vs HSPA+ is a RAN distinction and there is no way for the 3G RAN to discriminate per subscriber to provide HSPA speeds. All subscribers have access to HSPA+ speeds, which should be up to 21 Mbps DL in marketing terms for SISO and 64QAM (realistic peak is 17-18 Mbps). HSPA (HSDPA) peak speeds are 14 Mbps DL in marketing terms for SISO and 16QAM (11-12 Mbps realistic). 42 Mbps is only achievable in Bell/Telus network by using dual-carrier or DC-HSPA, which is similar to Carrier Aggregation (CA) in LTE.

Now in terms of what @srlawren is saying, it's possible that Telus has created new profiles in their core network for new PM "3G only plan" subscribers where their speeds are limited to 2.5 Mbps.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@lammer03 HSPA (non-plus) can get up to a theoretical ~12.5Mbps download speeds.  Are Chatr getting that full speed?  I apologize if I have this wrong, but I was under the understanding they were limited to 2.5Mbps. Maybe that's outdated info?  Or just wrong.  I do apologize if I'm wrong.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

lammer03

srlawren
Sorry @lammer03 but you are very wrong. For example Rogers caps Chatr users at guess what, 2.5Mbps. Their network can go way faster but not unless you pony up for Fido or Rogers. Now the same is true for new 3g pm customers. The HSPA network can get way faster but they are artificially capping speeds on the 3g plans.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

lammer03

Nothing is throttled, phone companies don't just cap your speed on purpose unless mentioned after going over a certain amount of speed like Freedom mobile (which is clearly stated in their poster, ads, contracts...etc.) speeds varies depening on the time of the hour (peak hours are like 12pm-2pm when everyone is on lunch break and using their phones most, 4-6pm when everyone is taking some form of transportation home expect huge amount of people using data) also where you are, I work in the basement of a office building so signal strength can only get up to 3g, even though I paid for LTE or what I notice is sometimes the phone can have "stuck signal" which for some weird reason so just reset your phone or put it in airplane mode and turn it back off. (the purpose is to reset the signal) but these are somethings I notice but thats with every phone company hence why data feels "throttled"

P.s. when you make calls, note that LTE becomes 3g if you didn't know, not sure what affects it makes but just something you all should also take note

srlawren

@Shutdown wrote:

Read the mod posts it clearly states that you will only get upto 2.5mbps with 3g now. However I am still able to get above that but slower then before so it's only a matter of time before it goes to 2.5mbps.

@Shutdown no.  Aagain, the 2.5Mbps limit is for customers on a 3G data plan.  If you are on a 4G data plan, it doesn't matter if you are connected via 3G HSPA+ or 4G LTE, you will get the full speed available to you at that moment, without any artificial throttling.  The 2.5Mbps limit is applied based on your plan, not based on which network technology you are currently receiving signal upon.

thapager

With 1 bar service in my basement I tested it...

3G -- 1.8mbps download -- 0.52mbps upload

I'm sure it will increase in speed based on a stronger signal strength.

It's nice to have the extra data, but nowadays, 90% of the population uses wifi most of the time anyways.

Shutdown

Read the mod posts it clearly states that you will only get upto 2.5mbps with 3g now. However I am still able to get above that but slower then before so it's only a matter of time before it goes to 2.5mbps. Note that I do have the fall promo so I can use LTE anyways.

srlawren

@Shutdown I have heard nothing of the sort.  Did you try a few tests and at different times/locations?  Speed tests really can fluctuate a LOT based on network load, signal strength, other processes running on your phone, etc.  I

Shutdown

Yes but what's stopping them from throttling LTE in the future when 5g comes out?

Nsk143
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Yes that's is true.
Check pm main website pm offering some new plans now with either 3g or 4g lte option according to users need.
And 3g plan speed will be 2.5mbps.
If you already have a lte 4g plan then its won't make any effect on us. It's a new optional plan.

It will be 2.5 mbps but steady reception I guess. Which is not good but not bad either as long if you get 2.5 mbps constantly.
Need Help? Let's chat.