cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3g(2.5) vs 4g what is the real world difference

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

hey all I know many of us are a little shocked at the new plan changes. but what is the real difference? Jeremy stated images might not be a clear or something similar.  

• will youtube work 
  • how is web browsing affected
  • emailing should be fine

where will i notice the difference  are there any real world examples ? of 2.5 vs lte?  the video in Jermeys post shows a significant slowdown  but it was a cartoon so no way to know the reality.

44 REPLIES 44

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Make sure you select 3G not just turn off LTE (giving you 4G)

mimmo

@Luddite wrote:

You can get a sense of the difference by going to your cellular settings and turning off LTE. That will restrict you to PM's 3 G network.

As we understand the current offer it is actually LTE capped at 2.5 mbps.

Is 3g 2.5mbs or is it quicker.  Only one way to find out.  speedtest here i come.

lammer03
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I was using Iphone 6 on Freedom mobile for 3 years, I would say quality of youtube with 3 bars is like equivalent to  360-480p depends on where you are, spotify no problem even with 2 bars. In other words, apps that relys on heavy data usage like streaming video (netflix, youtube..etc.) would provide average quality you can still see the video with 4-5 bars without buffering because the youtube app adjust to the speed of your data and data speed depends on signal. But less data usage apps such as spotify or games like Fifa mobile that requires 3g to use seems to be fine without network disconnection or anything. So I hope I can give you what equivalence to a 3g public mobile is offering you and what Freedom mobile is giving you. 

You many wonder why I swtiched, since i talked so many postive things about Freedom mobile data speeds, is due to their network coverage which still needs a lot of work, but when your in an area that give full freedom mobile signal its worth your money but without the coverage your phone is basically 'stalemate'

guinness22
We are on fixed incomes most of us have Pm for that reason . The LTE plan was good before today. The legacy clients should have been give a notice of this in order to switch to LTE plan for 4O a month 2 GB. Most are on 1 GB LTE now for 43 . And 3 g is more now that 43 a month . Does Pm survey there clients

You can get a sense of the difference by going to your cellular settings and turning off LTE. That will restrict you to PM's 3 G network.

As we understand the current offer it is actually LTE capped at 2.5 mbps.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Yes I have heard that fm 3G is 2.5mbps at minimum or worst. 

If there are signal issues with 3G it can kill your battery real fast and in the long run your nice phone with non-removable battery won't last long. 

Wonder_why

FM don't even offer 3G plan anymore, I couldn't believe PM would offer 3G Cat LOL

Wonder_why

3G (2.5) watching YouTube most of the time buffering, battery life sucks fast

Regular browsing will be a bit slower, but not by too much. When i was with wind about a year ago i did noticed a bit of a time difference loading webpages. But also depends how much is on the web page. I went on amazon, and i guess with all of the images it took a bit longer

mimmo

Any former FM members want to chime in on the speed difference.  How will regular web browsing  be affected?  

@Mana wrote:

This can easily be answered by a fromer freedom mobile user on a 3G plan. 

At least With Wind when it was crappy it was giving a 2.5 Mbps, under normal optimal circumstances Wind was offering 6-7 Mbps so it sounds like a speed under the one offered with Wind 

guinness22
At least give us 5 Mbps speed on 3G. And it should be 35 a month for 1 GB

Mana
Mayor / Maire

This can easily be answered by a fromer freedom mobile user on a 3G plan. 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Jeremy noted the video streaming is where you would notice quality difference.  Anything big really.

FHD, HD video will probably be choppy in my mind, and possibly high quality audio streaming too (like Spotify and the like).

Need Help? Let's chat.