cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G vs LTE

Geoffrey
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Everyone,

Im on a 90 day plan that is supposed to have LTE data. Ive notice more and more recently that my data is only 3G. I have LTE maybe 5% of the time, the rest its 3G. Does anyone else have this problem. Is there any way to ensure I get the LTE coverage since I am paying for it with my plan?

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@migisanny wrote:

Just to clarify do you have the $30 internet plan only with LTE if yes you can enjoy the LTE experience. But, if you have the other plans basically there they all are 3G even if sometimes it says LTE the speeds are just 3G speeds.

Just to clarify...they said they're on a 90 day plan which is only selectable from the BYO which so happens to also have LTE data options.

migisanny
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just to clarify do you have the $30 internet plan only with LTE if yes you can enjoy the LTE experience. But, if you have the other plans basically there they all are 3G even if sometimes it says LTE the speeds are just 3G speeds.

@Geoffrey 

Go to Settings -> Cellular Data Options the toggle should be green

Settings -> Cellular Data Options -> LTE ToggleSettings -> Cellular Data Options -> LTE Toggle

Settings -> Cellular Data OptionsSettings -> Cellular Data Options

Everyone has access to the LTE network. Are you in a poor coverage area?

Keep in mind your phone will always be on 3G during an active voice call.

Geoffrey
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an iPhone.  On my account it  shows I have LTE and pay for LTE but I rarely ever get that service.  How do I check that on an iPhone ? 

@Geoffrey wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Im on a 90 day plan that is supposed to have LTE data. Ive notice more and more recently that my data is only 3G. I have LTE maybe 5% of the time, the rest its 3G. Does anyone else have this problem. Is there any way to ensure I get the LTE coverage since I am paying for it with my plan?

I would say that there really isn't a way.  You could force your phone to only use LTE, but doing that would also disable the ability to make and receive phone calls.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Geoffrey wrote:

Hi Everyone,

@Geoffrey  If you have an Android phone dial *#*#4636#*#* under Phone information what does it show for preferred Network Connection? It should be LTE.

Which plan are you on?  The 3G Speed plan(s) are actually LTE throttled to 3000mbps.

If you force your network connection to 3G, you may actually get quicker speeds.

*IF* you're on a FULL SPEED 4G LTE plan, you may have your network setting forced (or prefered) to 3G.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If this is an Android phone then check to see if you have a setting named "Preferred Network Type" (might also say "Mode") and that it's set correctly. Unfortunately every phone manufacturer seems to use different wording but you'll want one that includes "LTE" or "4G".

iPhones should have a similar setting if that's what you use.

If that's correct then you'll need to make sure your APN settings are right:

Public Mobile APN Setup

Need Help? Let's chat.