Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G data on a 4G plan?

FMW
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your help.

I am a long time Public Mobile Customer. I recently changed my plan to the one below, effective August 16, 2022.

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 9.43.01 AM.png

Since then, I have never seen 4G or LTE on my phone (when I previously did have LTE). It's always 3G. According to my usage history, I am using the data....

I've tried putting the phone on airplane mode, restarting it, etc. I also checked Public Mobile's coverage map to make sure I didn't happen to be in a place with limited coverage. 

I'm sure it's a really obvious answer and I am just missing it 😅 but I am hoping someone can give me some advice...

Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4

FMW
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You all are gold, thank you. IPhone 13Pro is the phone.

Solution was to go into Cellular Data options and change “Voice and Data” from 3G to LTE. 

Thanks so much! This community is the best! 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@FMW   it only takes 48 hours for PM to change the speed on the plan, so it is not right you don't see the speed or not connecting to it

But first, check your Preferred Network Type settings, make sure it is LTE or you have selected some option that included LTE (or 4G) there.  If it is on Automatic, you can try to manually pick LTE if it is on the list

And what brand and model is your phone?  Just in case it is your phone issue, you have another phone to test it?  

If none of those work or you don't have another phone to test further, open ticket with PM support:

1. If you have access to My account: At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@FMW 

It usually takes a few days to be switch over from 3G to LTE speeds.  Since you already did the switch on August 16, the transition should be done.  Did you check your data speeds?  Public mobile will still use 3G for talk.  

A few basic troubleshooting advice:

Reboot phone

Network reset of phone

Maybe try SIM card in another working phone. See whether same issue.  Determine whether hardware issue versus PM service. 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

It usually takes up to 48 hours for speed to reach 4G limit.

Need Help? Let's chat.