Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Speeds

unsub2this
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi All,

Quick questions:

1. Why are we stuck at 3G speeds in this day and age?
  2. Say I have 1GB/mo, is it download only or a combination of download and upload?
  3. Does PM have a plan to have data only plans?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello.

Hi there @computergeek541  I was saying thanks to hTideGnow  for the good advice that he gave to the user snmobile to contact us by sending a private message.

I hope all it is clear now.

Kindly, 
Clau- CS agent 

@CS_Agent Clau,

In case you haven't realized, you're posting in the message forum.  @hTideGnow wasn"t actually asking for help but probably trying to point that out. In addition, it's my understanding that new tickets to customer support are to go through SIMon rather than by private message. When prompting customers for information, there's a tendency for customers to post here in reply where everyone can see (which shouldn't be done).

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello.

Thanks  @hTideGnow , yes please send us a private message and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Kindly, 
Clau- CS agent 

HI @unsub2this   , 

Add to @CS_Agent  comment, please DO NOT post your answer here

Please just message them privately here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Then make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

H i@snmobile   how much data you want to add?  Data are either $15 for 1GB or $5 for 200MB.  

check if you see Available Fund  has $10 there.  If it has, go to Purchase addon page and buy 1 block of 200Mb data.  It will take money from Available Fund.  

Then just logoff, reboot the phone

snmobile
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hello, hope you're doing fine? I just add on data for $10 please help me  add it to my phone 

Thanks

Solange

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello.

I just wanted to check if everything is alright or if you have any other questions for me before this ticket will be closed in 24 hours! I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you might have! Also, you can check with our online chatbot, SIMon!

Waiting for your reply.

Kindly, 
Clau- CS agent

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello.

My name is Clau & it will be a pleasure for me to assist you today.

Sadly Public Mobile offers mobile data only at 3G speeds, for services with higher mobile data speeds you can take a look at our partners Koodo Mobile that has 4G or Telus Mobile who offers 5G.

Kindly, 
Clau- CS agent

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@unsub2this 

Data speed is dictated by your wallet.

Edit:

Telus has the fastest average download speed at 94.48mbps.

https://www.speedtest.net/global-index/canada#mobile

To contact customer support :

Submit a support ticket via Simple--Simon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you prefer or cannot submit a support ticket you may send a private message : Click here 

To pre-verify add in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # & 4 digit account pin #

unsub2this

I see it more as marketing than anything else.

I don't see how home internet has become a whole lot faster, yet the mobile speeds have yet to catch up.

I would understand if the network is overloaded, you would want to lower the speeds to provide connectivity to everyone.

I don't get the idea that one should use a tiered system to say has the right to faster internet speeds.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@unsub2this 

Public Mobile uses the 3G network for voice calls. Mobile data and texts work on both the 3G and 4G LTE networks. The 3G network is not scheduled for decommissioning in Canada until at least the end of 2025.

Edit:

Here's a few tests at 4G LTE throttled and full speed.

$15 plan throttled 4G LTE.$15 plan throttled 4G LTE.$15 plan at throttled 4G LTE speed.$15 plan at throttled 4G LTE speed.$30 plan at supposed to be throttled 4G LTE speed.$30 plan at supposed to be throttled 4G LTE speed.My main account...still throttled.My main account...still throttled.One last test still zippy!One last test still zippy!

Or if you prefer or cannot submit a support ticket you may send a private message : Click here 

To pre-verify add in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # & 4 digit account pin #

@unsub2this 

It's really a way to 'differentiate' between their 1st tier and lower tiers.  (i think all the BIG 3 do it - Bell & Rogers & TELUS)

TELUS 5G

Koodo 4G

Public Mobile 3G  (well, really 4G 'throttled' to 3G speeds)

unsub2this

Hmm, not overly familiar with CRTC regulations but I doubt that in 2022, any provider still running 3G cell tower/technology.

Also, why are upload speeds are asymmetrical? I would like to know if its possible to upload at rate of higher speeds?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@unsub2this wrote:

Hi All,

Quick questions:

1. Why are we stuck at 3G speeds in this day and age?
  2. Say I have 1GB/mo, is it download only or a combination of download and upload?
  3. Does PM have a plan to have data only plans?

Thanks

@unsub2this 

1. PM is a 3rd tier provider which is in place because of mandated CRTC regulations for a low-cost service - don't worry, it will eventually become defunct
  2. it's total data service - regardless of use
  3. no, they have no data-only plans.    however, they do have data-only USA roaming add-ons when traveling there

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@unsub2this 

Welcome to public mobile!

1. Your 4G LTE data is throttled to 3mbps. Your 3G speed can reach up to 20+mbps but typically reaches 10 - 12mbps but with higher latency.
  2. Data can be used for both download and upload.
  3. Once the CRTC dropped the requirement to offer a data only plan pm dropped their $30/1gb (full speed 4G LTE) data only plan.

If you are a new customer it can take 48 to 72 hours to throttle your data speed to 3mbps. Performing speed tests at unthrottled 4G LTE speeds can easily use 500mb in one test. Avoid this.

Need Help? Let's chat.