cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Legacy Charge

koalakid
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm currently with Koodo and they added a 3G Legacy Network charge of $3 to my bill because apparently my phone connects to 3G for voice calls because it's a few years old. Does Public Mobile also have this charge if I sign up for one of their plans?

6 REPLIES 6

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

As far as I know, there is no $3 charge. Everything is PREPAID, not postpaid. I see my phone go to 3G sometimes and I'm never charged $3

I hope the PM evil bean counters don't read this post !! 

change.png

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@koalakid  one of my plans with public mobile is a plan that is no longer offered.

$15 3G for 250mb and 100 outgoing minutes.

This phone is from 2015 and has no issues. I do not get charged any additional fees. 

$16.95 each cycle. 

Maybe they might introduce it later as a way to kick people off, who knows..

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@koalakid  This seems to be related to preparation to shut down the 3G network according to this Koodo article

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/explaining-koodos-3g-usage-price-increase 

I had a phone on Public Mobile that was not approved for VoLTE and there was no extra charge.  I switch to a newer phone that is PM approved for VoLTE but I have not seen anything about a $3 surcharge here.  If you really want to check with support then open a ticket at the chat icon bottom right of this page but since PM is prepaid as @Chalupa_Batman said perhaps it is already incorporated into the pricing.

As far as I know, there is no $3 charge. Everything is PREPAID, not postpaid. I see my phone go to 3G sometimes and I'm never charged $3

koalakid
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm not on a 3G plan either on Koodo. My phone is LTE and I am on an 4G LTE plan at Koodo as well. However, I think what is happening is when voice phone calls are placed, it is connecting to the 3G network for those voice phone calls (while LTE is used for data). I think it's because of this that Koodo has added a "3G Price Increase" of $3 to my bill.

I want to know if I bring this phone over to Public Mobile, does Public Mobile also have such a $3 charge if someone is using a phone that is 3-4 yr old and still has the capability to connect to the 3G network (not that I want to use 3G anyway).

Also, since I'm new to Public Mobile, I want to know, is there any way to get a Public Mobile agent to definitively answer this question? It seems like the customer service with this carrier is hoping that some other customer will correctly answer your question on this message board? But I don't think any customer could know for sure whether the $3 charge exists or not if they happen to not have it on their bill. How do I speak to an agent to ask this question, I can't find the option?

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @koalakid 

Public Mobile currently has customers on 3G plans still. However, they no longer offer 3G plans. All plans are now 4G or 5G.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/mb/plans?network=ALL

Need Help? Let's chat.