cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$34/month 90 day Subscription

Ashley_98
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’m currently on the $40/month 15GB plan with the old rewards system - $3 loyalty, $4 refer a friend and $2 autopay. I’m interested in switching to the $34/month 90 day subscription but I noticed it says “Earn $1.95/month in points value with our Public Points” so I’m just wondering if I choose this subscription will I automatically switch over to the points system or can I keep the old rewards system? 

If I can continue on the old rewards system will I just save $9 off the $102 or will the rewards triple since it’s a 3 month plan? 

Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21

HI @obd 

the 3G plan is actually just about speed, everyone can use 3G, 4G and 5G network to connect and just the speed is capped at 3Mbps

And you are now still on a 3G plan ?  Try connect to the 4G network and try again, or even 5G network if your phone supports

obd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm switching for the speed. It's a 3G plan and lately I fond the speed varies a lot. Sometimes it's so so slow that pages don't load. Can't even complete a Speedtest at times. I know 3G is being phased out eventually, so I wonder what's going to happen to all the existing 3G customers.

The plan under discussion is $34 per month less rewards.  Of course the cost is higher than a $30 with the same rewards.  I would assume you are switching for the larger data bucket.  

One could argue that this is only happening on the first cycle of the transition.  On the next cycle you will have 3x w worth of rewards to offset the payment.

You have to think of the rewards as being earned. The only odd one was autopay. We used to be able to toggle on autopay and we would get an immediate $2. We could then toggle it off we liked. Then the day before renewal we could toggle it back on and we would get the reward at the renewal.
Loyalty and referrals have always been from prior. Still the same. Community has changed. Now they just deposit that reward sometime in the month...for the past calendar month (as always).

Then those deposited rewards are in your balance and the renewal payment starts with what it can find there and then goes to autopay. As always.

obd

I'm switching from a grandfathered $30 per month plan with $9 per month rewards. What's my incentive to switch under the the new rules. It may cost you less but it will cost me more. 

obd

So if I'm prepaying via auto pay then why are my rewards retroacive?

@obd , you are not getting like reward, just different timing for the rewards.  

Ashley_98

Makes sense. Thanks for you help!  Even with only $9 in rewards coming off my first 3 month payment the total cost for 3 months is exactly the same as I’d pay on my previous plan over 3 months and I’m getting more data so it’s still a win! 

obd

I've switched back to my old plan and will look for another provider. So sad that Public after has deviated so far for it's original mission. I've been with them from the beginning and sadly the recent changes don't appreciate loyalty.

@Ashley_98 

rewards are pretty much still added to My Account monthly and will stay in My Account as Available Fund. Since you likely won't used them (unless you buy add-on), after the 90 days, the 3x rewards will be there in Available Fund and your next payment will see the bill amount reduced by the 3x rewards ($27 in your case)

@obd wrote:

I'm waiting for the exact same clarification but am unable to reach customer support.

Obviously you can get the feedback from the horse's mouth.  As a long term customer who has been through the old 90 day plans and the new ones, I have first hand experience of how the rewards were issued back in the day and how they are issued today.  I am not trying to feed you with opinion here.  

@obd wrote:

So if I'm prepaying for a 90 day plan shouldn't I get the full rewards for 90 days?

@obd 

Remember, rewards are earned at the end of a plan cycle.  PM will credit rewards to your account on the last day of the plan cycle.  These rewards will then be used towards your renewal on the following day.

Since you are moving from a 30 days cycle, you have only earned one month worth of rewards, and the 1 month worth of rewards will therefore be applied on your new renewal, in this case, the plan change for your 90 days.    

After you changed to the 90 days plan, you will be receiving the rewards as follow:

• sometime during the 90 days plan cycle, you will get $6 Autopay in one payment
  • every 30 days, PM will credit you the loyal rewards, friend referrals rewards and Community rewards, ie, you will get 3 separate payments in the next 90 days

@Ashley_98 wrote:

So what I’ve gathered is that for the first 3 month payment I will only get the $9 in rewards that I’ve earned in the last month but for the second and subsequent payments I will get $27 off in rewards ($9 a month x 3). Someone please correct me if I’m wrong! 

The rewards will never be issued at x3, always x1 spaced 30 days apart within the 90 day plan cycle.  It is totally confusing, somebody decided this is how it is going to be done.  

@obd wrote:

So if I'm prepaying for a 90 day plan shouldn't I get the full rewards for 90 days?

I generally agree with this statement.  In the early days, that was how rewards were issued for 90 day plans, 3x at renewal time.  When the 90 day plans were shuttered for a number of years and brought back recently, the rewards payment scheme was revamped and not in a way that favors the customer.  At time of payment you get 1x rewards, at 30 days you get 1x reward and at 60 days you get 1x rewards to complete the 3x rewards.  Of course at 90 days it is the star of a new cycle...  I don't like it as much as the next affected customer, but what are you going to do?  Apart from timing, the rewards have not changed.

obd

I'm waiting for the exact same clarification but am unable to reach customer support.

Ashley_98

So what I’ve gathered is that for the first 3 month payment I will only get the $9 in rewards that I’ve earned in the last month but for the second and subsequent payments I will get $27 off in rewards ($9 a month x 3). Someone please correct me if I’m wrong! 

obd

@obd wrote:

I had the same question Ashley because that's what I was planning to do too. Yet when I check my nest billing date it only shows that I will receive only one month of rewards for the entire 90 day period. I've been trying to send a private message to customer service for over and hour for clarification on this issue and haven't been able to do so. So I went back into my account and cancelled my change. Price may be good but customer service is abysmal here.  

In a 90 day plan, you should receive 3x the rewards as a 30 day plan due to the 3x duration.  However, the rewards are issued every 30 days during the 90 day plan, thus 1x each time rewards are issued.  The numbers should work out.  

obd

I had the same question Ashley because that's what I was planning to do too. Yet when I check my nest billing date it only shows that I will receive only one month of rewards for the entire 90 day period. I've been trying to send a private message to customer service for over and hour for clarification on this issue and haven't been able to do so. So I went back into my account and cancelled my change. Price may be good but customer service is abysmal here.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Ashley_98 no worry, changing plan won't affect your rewards system.  So, you get to keep your legacy rewards even you changed plan.  This is also confirmed by the Community Manager here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/FAQ-amp-Troubleshooting/td-p/986594

Will I be moved to the new rewards program if I change my plan?
Changing your plan won’t automatically transfer you to our new Public Points rewards program. If you’re currently on our legacy rewards program, you will continue to stay on it. However, we encourage you to explore Public Points, as it opens up even more opportunities for savings.

Need Help? Let's chat.