cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$25 plan | April 1st, 2021

CanadianPerson0
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It's $25 and says you get 500MB (3G. 500MB more if you use autopay) and Unlimited Canada-wide minutes, Int’l Text & Picture Messaging.

So I can only call people in Canada? Also, on Android or iOS you can send and recieve internationl texts and images? Or only send?

40 REPLIES 40

@CanadianPerson0 

I'll just add one more thing......Canadian Cell Supplies was able to extend their stackable promotion until April 4th which offers up to 50% off your first 30 days and a free sim card. If you live in the Toronto area you could pick up the sim card otherwise they would have to activate and ship the sim card via canada post ( normally takes 5 business days.)

If you activated on the $50/8.5gb plan you would pay up front $25+tax (13% in ontario 5% elsewhere). After recieving your 30 day credit from pm ($50) but before your next renewal you would schedule a plan change on next renewal to the $25 plan benefitting from the extra credit. Your savings would work out as follows:

$50(30 day credit)+$10 ( bonus referral credit)=$60 +$2 (autopay reward)=$62-$25(1st renewal) =$37+$2 (autopay)=$39-$25(2nd renewal)=$14+$2(a/p)=$16+$9(you add$$)=$25-$25 (3rd renewal)=$0 For $25+$9=$34(+tax) you will get 4 months of service with public mobile ($8.50 +tax per month). After that your 5th month will be $25+tax or $23 with autopay. 

If you need a referral code just private message anyone who helped you today and ask for one.

Oh, and while you're at it, @CanadianPerson0 , don't forget to sign up for the 2nd month free promotion.   Just click on the below announcement thread and click where indicated to pre-register your e-mail, then activate using the same e-mail address.

Here's the details:

(1) [EXTENDED] FLASH SALE: Get your second month FREE ... - Community (publicmobile.ca)

@CanadianPerson0 wrote:

A referral code is needed? Or just a "why wouldn't you use one?' type thing?

Referral code is not needed.

It just saves you $10 on your 2nd month.

CanadianPerson0

A referral code is needed? Or just a "why wouldn't you use one?' type thing?

Awesome!!!   Now when you have the PM SIM card, and a friends referral code, you're good to go!!!

Just click Activate at top of page and get going!!!

CanadianPerson0

Sounds good! Sounds like it works for what I need it for!

@CanadianPerson0 wrote:

Ok, so just as a last "hurrah" of questions/summary/clarification.

With the current $25 Canada-wide plan (normally $30):

• I'd be able to make an unlimited amount of calls to others in Canada, and recieve an unlimited amount of calls from others in Canada.
  • I'd get 500MB of 3G (+500 if I turn on autopay)
  • It's a month to month, so there's no long-term contract
  • No cancellation fee
  • Unlimited text (SMS) and MMS (images and video) to "anywhere" in the world (probably doesn't support North Korea or anything like that. But nobody needs that)
  • The $25 is honoured "forever" assuming I get into the $25 plan before the deal goes away
  • If I travel to the US I'd need any of the roaming add-ons
  • If I'm trying to make calls to people to outside Canada I'd need applicable add-ons
  • I can recieve an unlimited number of calls from people outside Canada

One new question, let's say in 3 months they offered a '$25 2GB deal' or something, I could just cancel and get that new offer?

Very close, @CanadianPerson0 

It's 30 days to 30 days.   Not quite month to month, but basically the same.

YES, you can also change plans as often as you like (NOT cancel, just Change Plan option under your self-serve account).   You just need to make sure you're changing the plan on the next scheduled renewal as if you change mid-cycle, you "lose out" on what's remaining from the current cycle.

@CanadianPerson0 wrote:

• I'd be able to make an unlimited amount of calls to others in Canada, and recieve an unlimited amount of calls from others in Canada.
  • No cancellation fee
  • Unlimited text (SMS) and MMS (images and video) to "anywhere" in the world (probably doesn't support North Korea or anything like that. But nobody needs that)
  • The $25 is honoured "forever" assuming I get into the $25 plan before the deal goes away
  • If I'm trying to make calls to people to outside Canada I'd need applicable add-ons

One new question, let's say in 3 months they offered a '$25 2GB deal' or something, I could just cancel and get that new offer?

@CanadianPerson0   Yes!  Edit:  unless the new plan is a promo for new activations only which requires that you get another SIM and activate a new account.

CanadianPerson0

• No cancellation fee

@CanadianPerson0 wrote:

Ok, so assuming my SIM arrives before the deal goes away I'd be good at $25/month "forever" unless they change it, which they'd have to give a 30 day notice.
Yeah, lots of questions haha. I want to know what I'm getting/not getting. 🙂

Nothing last forever. Public Mobile could change the prices on existing customers. The good news is that they usually don't.

@CanadianPerson0 wrote:

Ok, so assuming my SIM arrives before the deal goes away I'd be good at $25/month "forever" unless they change it, which they'd have to give a 30 day notice.

That's OK - good to know what you're getting into.

Yup, that's about it. 

Here's the good thing, you're not locked into anything - it's prepaid so you can leave anytime if another provider has something better.

If you need a Public Mobile SIM card earlier, you can also pick one up at a local mobile dealer who sells mobile services/supplies.

Check out this store locator for locations which may sell them:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/store-locator

CanadianPerson0

@CanadianPerson0 wrote:

What does grandfathered mean?

You've got a lot of questions - that's good.

Grandfathered essentially means exempt from change.  In the "mobile" world, it means you retain your existing plan for the price point you're getting that plan at.   New people getting into the same plan would be subject to the higher price point.

CanadianPerson0

What does grandfathered mean?

You will be grandfathered at the $25 price point unless Public Mobile makes change to their plan pricing.

I can't imagine they will necessarily do that in the next while given the recent plan changes - and if they do they're required to give at least 30 days notice of such plan changes.

CanadianPerson0

> You will be grandfathered at the $25 price once you sign up.

Does that mean if I signup before the deal ends I'd get $25/month until I stopped "subcribing" to PUBLIC mobile?

The add-ons remain on your account until they are consumed.

The only exception is the roaming add-ons while in the US. They only last for 10 days once purchased. 

CanadianPerson0

Ok, and I haven't looked at the add-ons, I heard they carryover, is that "forever"? Or just one month to the next?

Like, if I spend $5 on 500minutes I'd get those 500minutes until I've used every last one of them?

It wouldn't matter if I bought the 500 minutes in April 2021 and only used like 50? I'd still have 450 remaining until I've used all 450?

@CanadianPerson0 wrote:

So:

add-on for calling outside of Canada while in Canada

and

Roaming (calling someone while outside Canada)?

Yes, but as stated earlir, long distance calling is only avaialble to certain countries.  Also, roaming is only offered in the U.S. 

The sooner you get in at the $25 price point, the better. You will be grandfathered at the $25 price once you sign up.

And yes, you're correct about the difference between the add-on for long distance and the roaming.

CanadianPerson0

So:

add-on for calling outside of Canada while in Canada

and

Roaming (calling someone while outside Canada)?

@CanadianPerson0 

For you the $5 500 minute Canada Wide add-on would be the ONLY one you would NOT ever buy. 

@CanadianPerson0 wrote:

Ok, so if I don't travel outside Canada that add-on would be pointless? (Just wanting to clarify so I understand correctly).

The plan only includes usage while you're in Canada.  The service won't work in any other coutnry other than the U.S., and for that, you'll need a roaming add-on.

CanadianPerson0

So if I signup tomorrow I'm paying $25 (not counting autopay, etc). But come May I'd be paying $30/month (not counting autopay, etc)

@CanadianPerson0 

The add-ons would only be useful if you are looking to call someone in another country while you're in Canada

CanadianPerson0

Ok, so if I don't travel outside Canada that add-on would be pointless? (Just wanting to clarify so I understand correctly).

@CanadianPerson0 wrote:

That's disappointing. Just getting into the service and it's already gonna bump up $5?

The plan that you sign up to will be honored, at the price advertised. 

@CanadianPerson0 

You can call anyone in Canada, or receive calls from anyone in Canada, andreceive calls from anyone in the world.

In order to call outside of Canada, you need to purchase the applicable add-on for that specific area or country.

@CanadianPerson0 wrote:

So wait, if I phone somebody anywhere in Canada it's covered with this plan, but I can't call those outside Canada? But lets say Person A calls me from United States, or Europe or something, would that be covered? Or would I have to pay extra?

For outgoing calls, Canada-wide calling means that you can call Canadian phone numbers.

It never matters where the other person calls you from.

Either way, Public Mobile doesn't have pay-per-use charges. If something hasn't already been paid for, it just doesn't work.

Need Help? Let's chat.