cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated pricing on select 6 GB plans

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

We’re excited to share with you that effective July 24th, 2018, we are lowering the prices for the following plans:

Plan Calculator Details

Now

• 30-day plan
  • 6 GB + 500 MB BONUS data at 3G speed (per 30 days)
  • Unlimited Talk to Canada-wide and U.S.
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

$55 $50

• 90-day plan
  • 18 GB + 1.5 GB BONUS data at 3G speed (per 90 days)
  • Unlimited Talk to Canada-wide and U.S.
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

$165 $150

That’s a $5 price reduction per 30 days for both plans! Totally sweet right?

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the  the ‘Build your own plan’ option and choose the plan length, talk, text, and data options outlined above.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to ‘Plan and Add-ons’
  3. Select ‘Change Plan’
  4. Select the ‘Build your own plan’ option and choose the plan length, talk, text, and data options outlined above. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.
  5. To confirm you have the plan you want, go to Self Serve, Select the “Overview” tab and view your plan details under “My Plan” to see how much you pay per month.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I already purchased one of these plans. Will my plan’s price automatically change?

No, the plan price will not update automatically. To take advantage of the new price, you will need to follow the instructions outlined above in “How to get this offer” and read the “Current customer” section.

I chose to switch to one of these plans on my next renewal date. Will my plan’s price automatically change?

If you had requested to change your plan to one of these plans before this new pricing was announced, you will continue to pay $55 per 30 days /$165 per 90 days. The plan price will not update automatically. To take advantage of the new price, you will need to follow the instructions outlined above in “How to get this offer” and read the “Current customer” section.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date. We recommend changing your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for, making your money go further.

To learn more about the differences between these options, click here.  

91 REPLIES 91

youbme

@Dz11 wrote:

So if I’m in n an urban area and my phone is saying LTE it’s really 3G 3Mbit?

Not quite. It is LTE, but your download/upload rate is capped at around 3mbps. There are other benefits to LTE besides its download rates.

Dz11
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So if I’m in n an urban area and my phone is saying LTE it’s really 3G 3Mbit?

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@phn419 wrote:

Were these promo plans that's getting prices decreased on?

It sounds like a good deal for 6/18GB. 

I'm still at 12GB for 90 days at $120.

I go over near the end, thinking of switching plans.

Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure that $120/12GB/90 day plan are LTE data. Keep that in mind if you want to keep those speeds.

The 6GB plans are 3G. On your phone, if it's set to 4G, expect to be throttled to 3Mbit speeds. If set to 3G, expect 7-13Mbit speeds.

phn419

Were these promo plans that's getting prices decreased on?

It sounds like a good deal for 6/18GB. 

I'm still at 12GB for 90 days at $120.

I go over near the end, thinking of switching plans.

Any thoughts?

djmitch99

Yes, for me at this time, this plan hits my sweet spot.  Calls to Canada and USA, 6.5gb data (at a decent speed, usable for most things including streaming)  and of course international texts.  Data is what I use most so having more of it at a good value is what I would like.  Thanks!

T-Rex83

Sorry, I did switch to Koodo with their latest offer!

I liked the community idea and the potential rebates with PM, doesnt mean i wont come back at some point.

I got the offer of 40$/month for 6 GB at LTE speeds and unlimited nationnal calls and unlimited international text. I think it was JOINKOODO5406 but ended yesterday.

Effort

@Jorno wrote:

@sagarsoni wrote:

Hi. The 6GB/18gb plan, it doesnt specify if the last 500mb/1.5gb is at 3G or if the whole plan is at 3G

For both the 30-day plan (6GB + 500MB bonus data) and the 90-day plan (18GB + 1.5GB bonus data), the whole plan (base data plus bonus data) is at 3G speed.

To add on to this, 4G/LTE is capped at 3Mbit or 384KB/s. If you manually set your phone to 3G, expect it to be all over the place but download will be generally higher than on 4G/LTE mode. I tested it twice on 3G. First time I got 12.8Mbit and the second time I got 7.5Mbit.

Also my IP in 3G mode is ipv6. No idea why.

Jorno

@sagarsoni wrote:

Hi. The 6GB/18gb plan, it doesnt specify if the last 500mb/1.5gb is at 3G or if the whole plan is at 3G

For both the 30-day plan (6GB + 500MB bonus data) and the 90-day plan (18GB + 1.5GB bonus data), the whole plan (base data plus bonus data) is at 3G speed.

I hopped on the 2016 promo because it doubled my data at no extra cost when it came out 🙂

Plan feature improvements are almost as good as price drops 🙂

Acekiller

always good to see price drop on plans!

Clefort88
I've said it before, I'll say it again, and another 10k times - PM has the best service, and the best prices for their INCREDIBLE PLANS, that I've ever had or seen.
Koodo still can't being to draw level despite the constant promo calls and texts to switch to them.

My plan renewed today and I actually had it set to renew to the new pricing options of $50 for the unlimited everything/6.5gb data.
Amazing. It's this new price plan that has me convincing people to switch to PM.
Unrivaled service and prices.

Well done, per usual.
You've got a customer for life in me, and the new people I've brought over, for sure.

sagarsoni
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

These are not promos, but rather regular plans that are now a lower price.  No need to make them a promo, they’re just newly revised in market prices.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks for the update.

I know what to do if my $45 5.5GB plan is not enough for me.

youbme

@Jorno wrote:

@youbme, how did you manage to get from Montreal to Ottawa within a minute? 🙂

@Jorno, teleportation, obviously Robot LOL

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Alan_K Why aren’t these great 6GB plans in the featured or ready made plans on PM website? Would be easier to find for those on the website who are not browsing the forums.

Jorno

@youbme, how did you manage to get from Montreal to Ottawa within a minute? 🙂

brent_liza

looks good

youbme

To illustrate the differences, see attached:Network on 3g-onlyNetwork on 3g-only

Network on LTE preferred (auto)Network on LTE preferred (auto)

youbme

@smp99 wrote:

@Jorno wrote:

Pardon me, but I still do not understand.  Are you saying that a device on a 3G-speed plan, when connected to the 3G network, will achieve data rates higher than the advertised maximum of 3Mbps?

Yes, that is what many are reporting but not advertised anywhere. LTE is throttled. If you turn off LTE and connect to 3G you get full speed - of the 3G network.

It is important to note that while selecting 3G-only on your phone might increase raw download rates (doesn't seem to affect my upload rates), it can result in increased latency - which means everyday usage could be slower for certain websites, etc. What I find is in areas where LTE is spotty, I'm better off switching to 3G-only, as my phone will try to connect to LTE via a tower that offers low reception. Otherwise, there is limited benefit to staying on 3G-only.

horemansus
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The plan selector gets weirder and weirder with these discounts... Remove texting and the cost goes up. Remove data, same price as with 500mb.. provincial, Canada wide, and USA included, all the same price with the 6 gB deal!

Bargains galore. Turn on the blue light at Kmart. On top of that if you sign up a buddy, get 25 dollars... 

Where is the competition?

horemansus

The plan selector gets weirder and weirder with these discounts... Remove texting and the cost goes up. Remove data, same price as with 500mb.. provincial, Canada wide, and USA included, all the same price with the 6 gB deal!

Bargains galore. Turn on the blue light at Kmart. On top of that if you sign up a buddy, get 25 dollars... 

Where is the competition?

horemansus

If you catch the chance where they added USA calling to the 6gb plan...  For 5 dollars you get 2 extea gB and USA call...

A bit of a deal if you use it. Either or both cost a lot more $$$ elsewhere.

cvsanu

Is that working?

smp99

@Jorno wrote:

Pardon me, but I still do not understand.  Are you saying that a device on a 3G-speed plan, when connected to the 3G network, will achieve data rates higher than the advertised maximum of 3Mbps?

Yes, that is what many are reporting but not advertised anywhere. LTE is throttled. If you turn off LTE and connect to 3G you get full speed - of the 3G network.

Jorno

@will13am wrote:

@Jorno wrote:

@will13am wrote:

If you have a large download and need higher overall data rate, just switch to 3G only and you get the full capability of hspa+.

Please help me understand the above.  Public Mobile 3G plans are capped at 3Mbit/s while connected to the LTE network.  If the same plan is connected to the HSPA+ network, it can achieve up to 21Mbit/s* or 42Mbit/s*?

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility#HSPA+

HSPA+, HSPA, UMTS are all part of the 3G network.  In some circles, HSPA is referred to as 3.5G.

dtran3

That's awesome! Thanks Alan and PM! I'll be sure to let my my data-heavy user friends know of this great opportunity!

bondmi

Your current plan price won't change... You are likely on the the plan that does NOT include US calling. 

jeffster1970

This is a great plan if you don't need the LTE speeds, which probably most don't actually need. 

shaplamaple

Thanks Public Mobile, that's an WoW news, its a very good price on level of service & data. We will get good numbers of user coming by.

Need Help? Let's chat.