cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated pricing on select 6 GB plans

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

We’re excited to share with you that effective July 24th, 2018, we are lowering the prices for the following plans:

Plan Calculator Details

Now

• 30-day plan
  • 6 GB + 500 MB BONUS data at 3G speed (per 30 days)
  • Unlimited Talk to Canada-wide and U.S.
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

$55 $50

• 90-day plan
  • 18 GB + 1.5 GB BONUS data at 3G speed (per 90 days)
  • Unlimited Talk to Canada-wide and U.S.
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

$165 $150

That’s a $5 price reduction per 30 days for both plans! Totally sweet right?

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the  the ‘Build your own plan’ option and choose the plan length, talk, text, and data options outlined above.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to ‘Plan and Add-ons’
  3. Select ‘Change Plan’
  4. Select the ‘Build your own plan’ option and choose the plan length, talk, text, and data options outlined above. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.
  5. To confirm you have the plan you want, go to Self Serve, Select the “Overview” tab and view your plan details under “My Plan” to see how much you pay per month.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I already purchased one of these plans. Will my plan’s price automatically change?

No, the plan price will not update automatically. To take advantage of the new price, you will need to follow the instructions outlined above in “How to get this offer” and read the “Current customer” section.

I chose to switch to one of these plans on my next renewal date. Will my plan’s price automatically change?

If you had requested to change your plan to one of these plans before this new pricing was announced, you will continue to pay $55 per 30 days /$165 per 90 days. The plan price will not update automatically. To take advantage of the new price, you will need to follow the instructions outlined above in “How to get this offer” and read the “Current customer” section.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date. We recommend changing your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for, making your money go further.

To learn more about the differences between these options, click here.  

91 REPLIES 91

youbme

@maychiu wrote:

will my 12G 3 months $40 plan expiry any time ?

@maychiu

Not that we know of.

There was talk of a price increase back in February, but it was blocked by significant customer complaints - as far as we know, the promo plan you are on will continue into the future, until PM decides to increase prices. Per the terms, you will receive advance notice before a rate change occurs. I would check the forums regularly for new promos that are emerging and might work better for your needs - BUT your current plan is pretty awesome since it is LTE.

maychiu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

will my 12G 3 months $40 plan expiry any time ?

They did revise it to 4G since was too confusing for many people and they wanted to market it

We can thank the Americans for that since they were the major issue and Canada went along for the ride

Heck even CDMA is a true 3G technology

It's funny carriers avoided the term 3G like the plague and now everyone uses it to market their 4G services

@will13am wrote:

HSPA+, HSPA, UMTS are all part of the 3G network.  In some circles, HSPA is referred to as 3.5G.

@Jorno wrote:

@will13am wrote:

If you have a large download and need higher overall data rate, just switch to 3G only and you get the full capability of hspa+.

Please help me understand the above.  Public Mobile 3G plans are capped at 3Mbit/s while connected to the LTE network.  If the same plan is connected to the HSPA+ network, it can achieve up to 21Mbit/s* or 42Mbit/s*?

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility#HSPA+

HSPA+, HSPA, UMTS are all part of the 3G network.  In some circles, HSPA is referred to as 3.5G.

@JL9, I saw that too, but it's not on all plans.  Right now, from what I can see, it's only on the 6+500mb 3G plans, and the 90-day equivalent.

The plan builder used to be simple to understand - now with all these options that are not specifically 'premade' plans, the plan builder is clunky, and deals which are there are hidden if you don't look at everything.

So there is no difference in price anymore between having province-wide, Canada-wide and Canada/US calling? All would be 50/ 30 days with 6.5 GB? 

Why would anyone pick provincial or Canada-wide? Lol

horemansus
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Jorno wrote:

@will13am wrote:

If you have a large download and need higher overall data rate, just switch to 3G only and you get the full capability of spaPlease help me understand the above.  Public Mobile 3G plans are capped at 3Mbit/s while connected to the LTE network.  If the same plan is connected to the HSPA+ network, it can achieve up to 21Mbit/s* or 42Mbit/s*?

That is correct.

I get 3gbits in LTE

Typically 10 or 11 gbits with the phone set to WCDMA {3G}

@kav2001c wrote:

Freedom Mobile's biggest issue is RELIABILITY

Network speed is fine

That's why I think this Public offering is a huge win

Better network than Freedom

Better quality than Chatr (and far better price protection)

With Both Lucky and Public both offering zone free plans, specically the ones priced at $40, it baffles me why anyone would want to put theimselves through something that I and friend  have been calling for years, "The F-in Wind experience" (she still uses Freedom Mobile and I still have a backup/secondary line).  We call it that because of the amount of times we've been on the phone and start saying expletives when it would disconect multiple times during a single conversation.    The LTE speeds just aren't worth needing to put up with the awful network.  

aman99

Awesome price for 6gb data. 

aman99

Totally agree that 3g speed is enough for everyday use.

Honestly

3G speed is more than sufficient for basic stuff video wise (Google Play and Youtube)

It works with every game out there I have seen (even dreaded Pokemon Go)

Freedom Mobile's biggest issue is RELIABILITY

Network speed is fine

That's why I think this Public offering is a huge win

Better network than Freedom

Better quality than Chatr (and far better price protection)

Jorno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am wrote:

If you have a large download and need higher overall data rate, just switch to 3G only and you get the full capability of hspa+.

Please help me understand the above.  Public Mobile 3G plans are capped at 3Mbit/s while connected to the LTE network.  If the same plan is connected to the HSPA+ network, it can achieve up to 21Mbit/s* or 42Mbit/s*?

@makkahn28 wrote:

I am at least glad PM is offering Bolder Plans, the $150 for the 18GB+1.5GB Bonus and Can-Wide US LD and Global Txt is wonderful, BUT, 3G Speeds as is, CERTAINLY Non-sufficient, at 2-4MB U/D Speeds, IF it was at least 10-15MB U/D Speeds, then perhaps it might be tempting

I wish that PM can have a 4G Promo, like take mine, $150 for 6GB, Unlim Can-Wide US LD and Global Txt

IF they offered, example, 6GB+2GB Bonus, or 9GB+2GB Bonus, and the Can-Wide US LD Global Txt on 90 Day for, $155-$160 for 6GB, and $165-$170 for 9GB, perhaps this may entice PPL.

Imagine, what catches the attention of Mice?

Cheese, and sometimes more luxurious

Perhaps PM setting the Lure to entice PPL for Greater Plans

Lock-Stock_and Barrel

Sorry I am thick, what does mice and cheese have to do with this?  I looked through the plan builder and I see a 3GB full LTE speed plan with Canada/US calling, text for $62 per month which is not far off from the numbers you are throwing around.  Get a few rewards and we are there.  Alternatively, you can save about $15 a month by sacrificing a bit of data speed.  Lose the US calling and save another $5 per month.  Unless you call the US all the time, the calling add-on might be the way to go.

@youbme wrote:

@computergeek541, even if the "3G" max (on LTE networks) was bumped up to 6mbps that would change things significantly.

And yes, the main change is adding US calling to the plan, which will entice some users.

In the end of the day, all of these promotions and adjustments to pricing appear to be Telus' way of determining where PM fits in the Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile trilogy...

If you have a large download and need higher overall data rate, just switch to 3G only and you get the full capability of hspa+.  I maintain that the single most important factor for data plans in Canada is the amount of usage then the speed, never the other way around.  What is your home internet speed and what is your typical usage?  There are many with dsl home intenet having download speed in the order of 10-25 mbits/s.  These customers happily consume hundreds of gigs of data each month.  3 mbits/s is not enough to consume a few gigs? 

I am at least glad PM is offering Bolder Plans, the $150 for the 18GB+1.5GB Bonus and Can-Wide US LD and Global Txt is wonderful, BUT, 3G Speeds as is, CERTAINLY Non-sufficient, at 2-4MB U/D Speeds, IF it was at least 10-15MB U/D Speeds, then perhaps it might be tempting

I wish that PM can have a 4G Promo, like take mine, $150 for 6GB, Unlim Can-Wide US LD and Global Txt

IF they offered, example, 6GB+2GB Bonus, or 9GB+2GB Bonus, and the Can-Wide US LD Global Txt on 90 Day for, $155-$160 for 6GB, and $165-$170 for 9GB, perhaps this may entice PPL.

Imagine, what catches the attention of Mice?

Cheese, and sometimes more luxurious

Perhaps PM setting the Lure to entice PPL for Greater Plans

Lock-Stock_and Barrel

Hubertzh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Great!

pakmode

Good deal.

cmatassa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am glad to see that Public Mobile is very competitive with their deals!

youbme

@computergeek541, even if the "3G" max (on LTE networks) was bumped up to 6mbps that would change things significantly.

And yes, the main change is adding US calling to the plan, which will entice some users.

In the end of the day, all of these promotions and adjustments to pricing appear to be Telus' way of determining where PM fits in the Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile trilogy...

@kav2001c wrote:

Everyone is falling over themselves over the data I think missed an important point

These plans also include USA calling (if you choose province wide, Canada wide, or US calls price is still the same)

I have to say that has a wow factor

You're right - that's what it really comes down to.  There isn't even any change in the data.   Public Mobile is calling this a price decrease, but I don't see it that way.  I see this change as just being a plan that they had before now including more, the difference being that I'm not sure how many people were actually paying the extra $5 for U.S. calling.  But offering more for that $50 price than before is definitely good for the customer.

Everyone is falling over themselves over the data I think missed an important point

These plans also include USA calling (if you choose province wide, Canada wide, or US calls price is still the same)

I have to say that has a wow factor

@youbme wrote:

However, could we see a bump up in data transfer rates in the future - something between 3G and LTE?

The current maximum of 42Mbps in't enough for the 3g plans?   I mean that as a joke and think  that some users will understand it.

Jokes aside, if the 3g plans had the official speed raised to about 10Mbps, enough for 1080p video in most cases, I don't people would be thinking twice as much about taking the 3g plans.

I know that some people won't agree with me on this, but if the 30 and 90 plans are going to be priced at $50 and $150, why not just eliminate the 90 day plan?   The argument can be made that data is more flexible (which it is), but I would also argue that can be a bad thing because people can accidently use of their data in  a very short data of time, have to renew early, and have even a longer amount of time of the plan go to waste.  I beleive that the 90 plans just confuse people, and when there's no cost savings, why bother?

On that note, it's good to see the price being lowered.  I'm actually a little surprised that it didn't happen sooner.  With Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile, and Chatr Wireless matching most things move-for-move, both Lucky and Chatr have been including U.S. calling at the $50 price point for quite a while.

dna2016

@Shazia_K, appreciate all your efforts and hard work you and your team does on a  regular/daily basis.  Unfortunately not all customers understand there is a first come first serve triage.  Hoepfully your awesome response sunk in for this customer.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Why not 4G LTE ?😀

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@wolfhex24 wrote:

hello i cant get into my account and also im trying to change my plan to the 6gb plan

If you’re locked out you can shoot @CS_Agent a DM with your info and they can get you back into your account. 

Once back in you can future date a plan change for your next renewal date via self serve. 

I just read in a thread that the 3G plans may not reset their data usage counter once in awhile as well. So guess we will see 

wolfhex24

hello i cant get into my account and also im trying to change my plan to the 6gb plan

@JL9j, as you know I did cancel my change for the 4.5 deal.  I'm still waiting for at least $12 in rewards to be credited correctly (it's in the process) as I'm renewing my current 90-day plan in September.

I see that on the ALL the current 3G plans for 19.5 GB 90-day plans (unless my eyes are playing tricks on me), it doesn't matter what calling package you select, they're all $150.  Maybe that's what you need to do??

@stonechucker wrote:

@brent_liza, sadly, not a winner for all of us.

I'd love 18.5 GB (if I needed it), the Canada and US calling (if I needed it).  I can't can't pay a $30 per 90/day increase for things I will not use while losing the ability to have unthrottled LTE speeds.  Sure, I don't see the speeds most of my day as I'm in buildings that are made of materials that block the signal, it's the principle that matters.

Yes, this will work for many, but sadly it won't work for me.

Yeah. Its a great option for many but don't think I need the added data or US calling. Although I'm still battling with the 4.5 promo and will probably all the way until the due date...then most likely will keep status quo 🤣

Need Help? Let's chat.