Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,591 REPLIES 5,591

fixin
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Wolfcore - They made a promise again - look at this ad a couple weeks ago: https://www.facebook.com/reel/2096107617407582 

@ShawnC13 wrote:

This thread has gone on a LONG time and understandably as new people are just finding out about this upcomng change and are upset.  When it comes down to it I do believe that PM has the ability to change the rewards system.  I know people are hoping for a reversal of this policy but I don't think it is coming and if it does I bet within days/weeks there would be a notice of price increases to plans.  THis would AFFECT everyone with PM and even more family accounts.  This legacy rewards change  is not great but a plan price increase would affect my family financially more.

I think that would only be the case if any such price increase was to be greater than $5-7 per cycle that all customers with legacy rewards will be losing starting next month.

edit:  plus I believe there will be price increases coming for most of the newer plans with big data buckets at $40/less prices sooner or later..

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

and if it does I bet within days/weeks there would be a notice of price increases to plans.

Maybe to a few select plans, but not across the board. They still have to be competitive with other brands at the end of the day, and the face-value of plans are most important for onlookers (advertising). If all of a sudden all of PM's plans were to cost $5 more than all of their competitors, it would only hurt PM more, as it'll not only cause a bunch of current users to leave, but would also dissuade outsiders from joining.

@ShawnC13 

Reminds me of Aesop's Fable, "be careful what you wish for".

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

This thread has gone on a LONG time and understandably as new people are just finding out about this upcomng change and are upset.  When it comes down to it I do believe that PM has the ability to change the rewards system.  I know people are hoping for a reversal of this policy but I don't think it is coming and if it does I bet within days/weeks there would be a notice of price increases to plans.  THis would AFFECT everyone with PM and even more family accounts.  This legacy rewards change  is not great but a plan price increase would affect my family financially more.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Tiffiny124 wrote:

This is a similar change to Starbucks devaluation of their points program or shoppers optimum. It’s a reward program and they can make changes whenever they want. It’s part of the fine print, terms and conditions. Like every other corporation they insist it’s a better program 🤣🤣🤣 yeah NO! I’m loosing $60/year. $42 for annual loyalty $10/year vs $5/month and if I read the referral correctly it’s now capped at 4 so an additional $24/year for that totalling $66 total annually. Plus the tax on the entire savings. 

@Tiffiny124 that is just how it shows.  You probably have 4 referrals.  I thougtht he same when I looked at mine as well.  THey say you can earn upto  $value = referrals that month as they aren't sure the referrals will continue

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mikasik2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Fair enough thanks for the clarification.  I wonder why I didn't get it.

"You're going to love public points!" 🤣 More false advertising!

Tiffiny124
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is reverse order but that’s the emailIMG_6479.png

IMG_6481.png

IMG_6482.png

mikasik2

@Tiffiny124 wrote:

Further to my above comment we got emails and texts in regard to this. Check your junk mail. 

Nothing in my junk unfortunately.  What did the email say?

I received the text about the bonus data, but it didn't mention any changes to the loyalty program.

Tiffiny124

Further to my above comment we got emails and texts in regard to this. Check your junk mail. 

Tiffiny124

This is a similar change to Starbucks devaluation of their points program or shoppers optimum. It’s a reward program and they can make changes whenever they want. It’s part of the fine print, terms and conditions. Like every other corporation they insist it’s a better program 🤣🤣🤣 yeah NO! I’m loosing $60/year. $42 for annual loyalty $10/year vs $5/month and if I read the referral correctly it’s now capped at 4 so an additional $24/year for that totalling $66 total annually. Plus the tax on the entire savings. 

@eyes wrote:

Sorry… didn’t know this - will immediately correct.

However to me it seems that according to the above PM offer. If one accepts the referral they would be oblivious that this offer would be very short lived. 

eyes_0-1712498277770.png

@eyes I think that portion will stay the same except the $1 will turn into 1 Point.  The referral bonus to the new customer can stay as a credit, and any new customer would be on the points system anyway

NoseyNick1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Interestingly, https://myrewards.publicmobile.ca/en/on/ is still telling me "Loyalty Pays $3.00  After staying with Public Mobile for 1 year, you will earn $1 off each 30 day period.  After 2 years, your Reward will increase to $2 off each 30 day period - it'll continue to increase every year up to year 5" - that last half sentence  seems now to be a hollow promise.  😞

mikasik2

@kb_mv wrote:

@mikasik2 Don't put words in my mouth. I have pointed out what the ToS say. The same ToS that 99.9% of PM customers probably haven't read either when they signed up or even recently as a result of this thread. Is that the fault of PM? I never said that they have done enough. I merely pointed out what you (generic you) agree to every time you renew your service.

Edit: I would suggest you seek real legal advice rather than relying on what's posted on this thread, either for or against.

LMAO what are you on about?

mikasik2

@eyes wrote:

Sooooo if for example one gets a bill in the mail and don’t bother to open it then they won’t have to pay it?

Grandma uses autopay and was told price wouldn't go up

@mikasik2 Don't put words in my mouth. I have pointed out what the ToS say. The same ToS that 99.9% of PM customers probably haven't read either when they signed up or even recently as a result of this thread. Is that the fault of PM? I never said that they have done enough. I merely pointed out what you (generic you) agree to every time you renew your service.

Edit: I would suggest you seek real legal advice rather than relying on what's posted on this thread, either for or against.

@NoseyNick1 I can't remember the last time I got a successful renewal text on either of my accounts.

mikasik2

@kb_mv wrote:

@mikasik2 You are purposefully ignoring the line about posting the change here. This announcement was posted March 6th. Whether or not the screenshot info was there in 2018 is a red herring in my opinion. When you renew your monthly service you accept any changes made to the ToS regardless of whether or not you choose to read them.

I'm not purposely ignoring anything, I'm vouching for the people who never log in here, or on the website and disagreeing with you that enough has been done to notify people.

@mikasik2 You are purposefully ignoring the line about posting the change here. This announcement was posted March 6th. Whether or not the screenshot info was there in 2018 is a red herring in my opinion. When you renew your monthly service you accept any changes made to the ToS regardless of whether or not you choose to read them.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@eyes You may want to edit out your referral code before the post is deleted. Posting referral codes is not allowed.

mikasik2

@kb_mv wrote:

@mikasik2 What about people who also don't check email? I think PM is covered by the line that says posting the change on their site will suffice. More interesting than that to me is the line that says if you purchase service after the change has been made you accept the change.

They said an email would go out, apart from that they could send a text message. We are 3 weeks till May which is less than the 30 days notice your screenshot assures customers would get if they faced any changes.

My point about that screenshot is that if it is new then we need to be sure they aren't making new rules years after the original rewards program was in place.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Posting referral codes is against the Community's terms of service @eyes 

You know ... that small print which everyone surely reads.   🙄

Just lettin ya know.

NoseyNick1

Not had an email. I HAVE noticed the pop-up when i happpenned to log in to check my remaining data (not previously something i would do very often)

Also just notice i have PM text messages "Congrats! Rewards have been applied to your account: $1 friend referrals, $2 AutoPay, $0 Community, $2 Loyalty. More info at https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca" for Nov, Dec, Jan, but NOT Feb or Mar. Then i have "Public Mobile here. Thank you for your payment. Your plan has been successfully renewed! Let's keep the conversation going" for Feb, Mar, Apr. Then "Public Mobile here, delivering on our promise. We've successfully added the 5GB of bonus data to your account as a thank you for your continued loyalty. This bonus data will expire in 150 days. Enjoy the extra data and thank you for choosing Public Mobile" which would have come as a complete surprise to me if i hadn't happenned to log in and seen the popup. THEN i found this post on these forums.

@mikasik2 What about people who also don't check email? I think PM is covered by the line that says posting the change on their site will suffice. More interesting than that to me is the line that says if you purchase service after the change has been made you accept the change.

mikasik2

@kb_mv wrote:

@mikasik2 wrote:

Has anyone received an email or official notification apart from this post of the upcoming changes?  I haven't..

@mikasik2 At the risk of being called a shill or raining on someones parade, see attached.

Edit: I can't imagine anyone who has posted here or filed a complaint with CCTS can then turn around and claim they didn't know about it. Having said that, when you sign into your account either on computer or through app a pop up notifying of the changes comes up.

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 9.57.09 AM.png

Is that screenshot from before 2018?  I don't doubt they had something like that in the fine print.  But is it grounds for false advertising?

What about the people who are on autopay and have no reason to sign into their accounts?  We were told an email would go out, and May is in 3 weeks.

@eyes wrote:

I can go on about this and other of your postings but this thread is not meant for this. 

@eyes Why do you keep engaging then?

@mikasik2 wrote:

Has anyone received an email or official notification apart from this post of the upcoming changes?  I haven't..

@mikasik2 At the risk of being called a shill or raining on someones parade, see attached.

Edit: I can't imagine anyone who has posted here or filed a complaint with CCTS can then turn around and claim they didn't know about it. Having said that, when you sign into your account either on computer or through app a pop up notifying of the changes comes up.

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 9.57.09 AM.png

mikasik2

Patrick_PM

If you open a ticket with Public Mobile, a customer agent will respond trying to push the benefits of the Points Program. If you don’t respond in a few hours, they’ll close your ticket since  it has been over 24 hours. The issue is it hasn’t even been 12 hours.

Bunnyhop

-First contact Public Mobile about this then file your complaints with CCTS,
New customers say that you have felt cheated by the 2-tier system and demand to have the old rewards system returned.
Old customers say that Public Mobile has broken their customer support promise to keep the old rewards system.
-Contact CRTC and to any more regulators that are available.
-Question the new changes under the announcement.
-Make a new post calling out Public Mobile in the forums.
-Write to your MP/MPP/MLA that you were taken advantage of in the Public Mobile false advertising situation and say that you want more competitive phone plans to match the Quebec and Saskatchewan markets.
-If someone has the means or is a lawyer please start a class action lawsuit against Telus.
-Contact the Press.
-Tell your friends and family about how Public Mobile betrayed the old rewards customers.
-Threaten to switch carriers that are not Public Mobile, Koodo or Telus.
-Use every tool in the box to fight against this unacceptable situation.

Need Help? Let's chat.