Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,051 REPLIES 5,051

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@fixin1 

Yes, I saw that in the Mobile Klinik thread and I gave a bravo to @will13am who succinctly described that as “The total addressable market for this offer is off the chart low.  Nothing to see here.”

p.s. If anyone feels motivated enough to bravo that reaction, please head over to that thread and give it to @will13am as it is his original input, I’m just echoing it here. Thanks.

no_thanks
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So the main distinguisher of PM's product benefit compared to other providers– discounts for continued loyalty– is being removed and it's being framed as being beneficial to me? No thanks, time to look for a new provider.

fixin1

@RetiredGuy1 - Right now us points users get $130 rebate on 4 CPO phones with mobile klinik (Though you should be cautious) and a $30 repair rebate on all except Apple official parts.

RetiredGuy1

Within the Points Program Terms and Conditions is the following statement:

”From time to time, Public Mobile may add possible ways to earn Points, offer additional Points, Points-earning accelerators, bonuses or promotional offers (collectively “Offer”).”

I realize the use of the word “may” rather than “will” is significant from a legal perspective. However, notwithstanding that, it is reasonable to believe that PM has researched/brainstormed/discussed or even drafted proposals to this end. Given the fiasco they’ve created and the fact we’re now just 2 weeks from May, I believe there is a golden opportunity for PM to at least try to regain trust and demonstrate that what they say can be taken in good faith - provide an update that articulates how they will make enhancements to the Points Program. If they’re truly serious about it, whats the harm? 

JollyOwl

I'm not only pleased, I'm honored to be provided that! 

ManikalBC

Extraordinarily disappointing to see Public Mobile completely go against one of their biggest selling points and brand philosophy, and more than a little insulting with how this is worded like it's an improvement when it is not. I don't need more data, the 240 GBs of bonus data for 150 days (111 now because I only JUST got informed of these changes two weeks prior to them happening!) is an awful excuse for a "loyalty reward" and completely valueless, and I certainly don't need to pay more every month and then cash in points annually for money back. 

I had a LOT of trust in PM up until now, but this move has shown that trust is now broken and was not backed up by PM. I cannot in good faith continue to recommend PM to anyone, without a major disclaimer anyway. 

I do not wish to have my rewards program changed. 

Matty1234
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Would you prefer greater saving and less flexibility? Or less savings and more flexibility?

Remember though, as the Oracles said Public said they would keep the legacy program open for long term subscribers but they didn't explicitly say promise, so it doesn't matter 

RetiredGuy1

@Synobun wrote:

I would be interested to know how going from saving over $70/yr to saving less than $25/yr offers me "greater flexibility" and a "more rewarding experience."

“Greater flexibility”

You’ll be able to kiss your points goodbye by entering contests for prizes like gift cards, electronics, and more!

”More rewarding experience”

If you subscribe to PMs most expensive plan ($55) you’ll get 5% back in points (2.75 or $2.75 equivalent) which blows the previous $2.00 auto pay reward out of the water. /s

NRH2024

I did not agree to these changes and I do not want them to be made to my account.

eyes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Ha ha ha exactly… they are insulting us with no shame. 

Synobun

I would be interested to know how going from saving over $70/yr to saving less than $25/yr offers me "greater flexibility" and a "more rewarding experience."

RetiredGuy1

@kb_mv wrote:

@JollyOwl wrote:

I'm with Public for over 10 years. Will I get  points in the new system for those years?

@JollyOwl Unfortunately no, you will get 10 points ($10) once a year on your anniversary date.

But @JollyOwl you should be pleased to know that PM is excited to continue providing you, one of their valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward. /s

eyes

I’m not but I did help my daughter.

NoseyNick1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

FINALLY Got a text message from PM telling me I'm being force-moved. I got none of the emails, no previous texts  apart from the surprise 5GB/150d, so until today, the only notification i had was the popup if i happenned to log in. Now, a text:

Public Mobile here. In accordance with our Service Terms, we are reaching out to inform you that we are making changes to our rewards program and these changes impact you. No sooner than 30 days from this notice, we will be moving you to our new Public Points™ program as we are retiring our old Rewards program. To learn more about this change, how it impacts you and how the new Public Points program works, please visit https://msg.publicmobile.ca/rjlt

@JollyOwl wrote:

I'm with Public for over 10 years. Will I get  points in the new system for those years?

@JollyOwl Unfortunately no, you will get 10 points ($10) once a year on your anniversary date.

@eyes wrote:

Whaaat - what about existing customers that pay for that plan????

@eyes No need to worry, if you are already on the Can-US plan or scheduled a change to it prior to them removing it from the plans page, you are good to go.

@eyes wrote:

Hi @eyes 

you are here long enough to know when you are in the plan, you are in.  The plan is grandfathered but you will keep the plan as long as you want 

JollyOwl

eyes

Yatti4201

I still think I am heading to Freedom come June. 

@Yatti4201 wrote:

I just got an sms. So may 15 for my transfer?

@Yatti4201 I read that as no sooner than 30 days (15 May)

Yatti4201

The spiced coke? Nowhere near as bad as this. 

CNLundy

This change is incredibly unwelcome. It's just a cash grab from loyal customers.

When I lose my loyalty and autopay bonuses I'll be immediately jumping ship. I hate switching providers, but this change is enough of a middle finger from PM to prompt it.

The bonus data is such a joke! I have so much more data than I use, and the limited time makes it less than useless!

Yatti4201

I just got an sms. So may 15 for my transfer?

Public Mobile here. In accordance with our Service Terms, we are reaching out to inform you that we are making changes to our rewards program and these changes impact you. No sooner than 30 days from this notice, we will be moving you to our new Public Points™ program as we are retiring our old Rewards program. To learn more about this change, how it impacts you and how the new Public Points program works, please visit https://msg.publicmobile.ca/50qx

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

I just received the SMS on both of my accounts. With the wording they used, PM has locked themselves into at least no sooner than 15 May now for the change. I might get lucky and manage another renewal on both accounts before being forced to the new program.

HI @jhhead 

that is a proper update.  Company only needs to try all the possible ways to notify the users and they have done their part.  In this case, they tried email, text, and posting it on the site and announcing on the forum.  Some people might have blocked the email and text but that is not a valid reason for saying they were notified

Need Help? Let's chat.