Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,539 REPLIES 5,539

Public_Cust_17
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@SeniorCitizen   is there a guarantee that a point will always be worth $1?

I've always held the belief that if someone would screw me over once they'll do it again.. if I give them the opportunity! 

JDBlue1966

Funny thing is that i moved me and the wife up to the 40GB 5G plan. Just incase we need more data one day. We are thinking of buying a trailer. Would probably need more then. For us it’s not about the money. It’s loyalty.

G_Pomzz

@JDBlue1966 

With your limited need for data you could go with the Fonus low priced Can/US plan for about $10/mth.

It seems that those on the lowest priced PM plans are the ones being hit the hardest with the new changes. 

Y4J259

Two ways PM is choosing to hurt its customers:

I'm on a $34 plan, have been with PM for more than 5 years.

Old rewards: $5/mo off for loyalty, $2/mo off for auto-pay, and $1/mo off per friend referral. So $7/mo off plus referrals.

New points: $1.70/mo (5% back) points back, $10 annually loyalty, $1/mo friend referrals.

So I'll be paying $4.47/mo MORE under new points system.

Additionally, I'll have to log in EVERY SINGLE MONTH to cash in my referrals. And that's a choice PM is forcing on us. They have chosen to not make it auto credit. Why? Probably because they know people won't sign in regularly and so will be paying more, not using points, each month, again boosting their bottom line over rewarding loyal customers. This choice to force logging in, not auto pay, is very cynical and seems to be the disgusting practices that PM is now choosing to employ. 

JDBlue1966

I had a 1GB plan for years. Never came close to Using it. So the extra data is useless to me. 

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

danielj_0-1711209336670.png

150 to use the data the give to "attempt" to appease us for making financial moves that hurts all of us Public Mobile customers. While Public Mobile gave other family members significantly less data. All when multiple customers are like me on 120 day plans.

Notifying me that they added the data to my account around 12:30 yesterday and having the 150 already marked down to 149 days before 12pm today.

On top of it, the very cherry on top having the data not even be compatible at all with my plan.

With any attempts to change to a plan that is compatible running the risk of triggering a clause to have the offer be rescinded from my account completely.

Surely hope the "enhancing" of the Points program actually enhances to relatively matches the "retiring" program.

In at least in this context Public Mobile gesture for loyalty progam changes, it is so far thanks for nothing Public Mobile.

SeniorCitizen

@fixin wrote:

@zeldannabee - Yeah, and why did they remove that you get 1 point for every month you stay with PM RIGHT before the announcement???

That would have made it 100% better and less CCTS complaints. Even if making the bonus data no expiry, then we may be a little happier than before.

Exactly leave it in place, forget the free data that’s only for some and not all, and enhance a bit. I never researched that 1 point per month and wouldn’t have known the difference. So due to being forced give 1.25 or 1.1 points per month. And make sure you get your dollar value for the month and “then” change you account to the new rewards.
AND is there a guarantee that a point will always be worth $1?

RetiredGuy1

Monetary impacts aside, its fair to say most posters are expressing - in any way, shape, or form - dissatisfaction with the ethical ramifications with the changes. Specifically, with regard to loyalty.

Merriam-Webster defines loyalty using different nuances including “meaning faithful to something to which one is bound by pledge or duty” and that “it implies a faithfulness that is steadfast in the face of any temptation to renounce, desert, or betray”

It is clear that legacy rewards subscribers have remained loyal through continuous renewals of their plan month after month and year after year. PM? With the removal of legacy rewards it appears they feel no longer bound to maintain that “pledge” and are not remaining faithful to remain steadfast in the face of the temptation to “renounce” those very same rewards.

Perhaps the Telus executives are beginning to feel the effects of inflation. It just might be getting harder for them to continue to buy their Kiton suits, Beluga caviar, and fill up their Lamborghinis.

fixin

@zeldannabee - Yeah, and why did they remove that you get 1 point for every month you stay with PM RIGHT before the announcement???

That would have made it 100% better and less CCTS complaints. Even if making the bonus data no expiry, then we may be a little happier than before.

zeldannabee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This change on PM's part to the legacy reward discounts is a joke. No one will be saving money like we used to. What are the reasons to stick with PM? The loyalty is definitely not one of them now with PM points. 

The 240GB for 150 days is a joke. Most people do not even come close to using their paid for data, so this promo data is just a empty "token" to make the change sound better. How will I ever use the extra bonus data if I never come near my data usage. Why would extra data for 150 days even sound interesting. This is more like a slap in the face. It almost seems like the message is: Thanks for your support, don't let door hit you on the way out."

Sad sad move on PMs part. A better gesture on PM's part would have been X amount of bonus points on the new system. At least then we could use the bonus. 

mikasik2

Charity donation from corporations is not out of the ordinary.  Its pretty much off topic

upandadam
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It looks like PC mobile has wifi calling.  That is interesting for sure.

Cheers.

ValeryD1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have to wait 2-3 days until they send a SIM card, then I can recommend it or not.
But it will be either Fizz or PC mobile or both.

upandadam

Hey, what provider you thinking.

Got myself and a few ready to switch on principle alone. 

Hoping for wifi calling too. 

ValeryD1

Of course, you can cry and fight with “windmills”, only those who are involved in these changes can read here what we think...
I’m doing it simpler, the first line has already gone to a new, very interesting provider, at least I’ll pay 2 times less for it. The second line is next in line, but to a different provider, and I will also pay 1.5 times less than now, plus they have a bunch of bonuses.
The third line will wait for the month of May and testing of other providers. 😁

MandyJS
@computergeek541 wrote:

I saw the 240GB add-on being listed under the working add-ons for a $40/60GB Canada-only plan that includes unlimited data at reduced speeds.  I agree that up until now, the Canada-wide data add-ons have never worked with any of the plans that include unlimited data. This is something that I have brought up in discussions with Pubilc Mobile.  I know that most will say that the this bonus data serves little purpose for most users (and I would agree with that), but to add an add-on to an account that doesn't do anything while claiming that it's a bonus is something that needs to be corrected.

Definitely, it should be corrected, and if it makes a difference, the plan that I'm on is the:

currentplan.jpg

I have it scheduled to switch to the $34 CAN-US plan that was offered shortly after purchasing this one, but once it switches, the bonus data disappears anyway, so....

@MandyJS wrote:

I have looked into this and have personally seen a 240GB add-on in an account with an unlimited data at reduced speeds plan.  The 240GB add-on didn't get listed as incompatible.

It must not be working on them all then, because I just checked mine again, and it's still incompatible. The bottom one is the "loyalty bonus".

Incompatible DataIncompatible Data

I saw the 240GB add-on being listed under the working add-ons for a $40/60GB Canada-only plan that includes unlimited data at reduced speeds.  I agree that up until now, the Canada-wide data add-ons have never worked with any of the plans that include unlimited data. This is something that I have brought up in discussions with Pubilc Mobile.  I know that most will say that the this bonus data serves little purpose for most users (and I would agree with that), but to add an add-on to an account that doesn't do anything while claiming that it's a bonus is something that needs to be corrected.

MandyJS

@computergeek541 wrote:

@golfball wrote:

@ShawnC13 Is it true that it works on unlimited plans? The linked page makes it sound like it doesn't. 

IMG_3428.jpeg

I have looked into this and have personally seen a 240GB add-on in an account with an unlimited data at reduced speeds plan.  The 240GB add-on didn't get listed as incompatible.

It must not be working on them all then, because I just checked mine again, and it's still incompatible. The bottom one is the "loyalty bonus".

Incompatible DataIncompatible Data

golfball

Yes I've seen a few people express surprise and excitement when they get the data text not realizing the full context. PM should have been more upfront with the stipulations and specifics of what's going on.

upandadam

Name calling? I'm just calling a spade a spade.

You're bending over and shilling for a company that flat out lied and you don't even get paid for it.  Anyway, there's no point in replying anymore to someone who can't see the hipocracy when it stabs them in the back.  Or it your case jabs it.  Peace!

@upandadam wrote:

You're a corporate shill, and you know exactly what I am talking about.

You "mods" are literally bending over for them...for free too haha

@upandadam what are you talking about you started saying a mod called you unintelligent,  I have not seen a mod call you anything.  But reverting to name calling and saying the  same thing over and over doesn't help the cause.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

aliceng

Not only is the change ridiculous, there was NO mention in the SMS that I would lose the bonus if I change my plan. I switched unknowingly and now I don't even see the bonus. What's the point of adding 240gb extra that expires in 150 days, AND requires the same plan. I was on my old plan because that's all the data I need. The 240gb is useless on my old plan. Public really tries to screw over loyal customers in all ways possible.

@golfball wrote:

@ShawnC13 Is it true that it works on unlimited plans? The linked page makes it sound like it doesn't. 

IMG_3428.jpeg

upandadam

You're a corporate shill, and you know exactly what I am talking about.

You "mods" are literally bending over for them...for free too haha

DBergs

I am disappointed. The old rewards system was one of the main reasons I switched to Public in the first place and recommended it to my friends and family.

golfball

Technically it's a lot easier, but light users have lighter usage. I still have 2GB holiday add-ons from years back so it would be just as useless for me, and I'd imagine for many others who are on a light usage plan to use in such a short time. I usually am on Wi-Fi, one of the times I went over my 250mb and into the holiday data was during the countrywide Rogers outage.

What PM probably wants to happen is for people to change their usage habits and then pay to upgrade to a higher plan.

fixin

@Kevin6432 - Yeah, why does it expire??? Would have to use 2GB every day just simply on the Loyalty Bonus. Over 3GB if on the 50GB plan.

They better be adding Wi-Fi calling functionality before 30% of us port out.

hi @golfball 

I under people with 50GB already might not use 240Gb in 150days, but people with 250Mb can really make use of the 5GB.

golfball

I disagree. As someone who was on the $15 plan until a few days ago I still have a couple of the holiday data add-ons on my account. You'd have to go out of your way to use the bonus add-on up in time. If you can get by with 250mb it's unlikely to happen within 150 days unless you try to download big files or watch videos which often buffer and lag on the 3G speed.

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That expires in 150 days*

Need Help? Let's chat.