Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,469 REPLIES 5,469

OldGal
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Agree!

I'm a senior who's been with my legacy acct since 2016.  That's about 80 or 90 months, btw. I loved the no fuss, always works, never have to log in, trustworthy system of paying in advance, no surprises or overages. I never use more than the 4 gigs of data, have unlimited wifi at home. I will not hang online to read forums (except this one time!) and the youngsters do a good job of that. Like many, people are getting fed up with the whole subscriptions, points, and redemption nonsense. I am phasing out of points with PC Financial and shopping at my local small grocer. Galen Weston is hated now for his disingenuous marketing in the name of profit hidden in points. PM will go the same way. It's as if big business doesn't have room, need, or tolerance, for people with small needs. All I need my phone for is dependable calls to fam and doctors offices (maybe 10 calls a month), and a tiny amt of data to check email or a map or store location when I'm driving. I don't want or need unlimited data and don't want to pay for everyone else's. I will never game or watch movies on a phone plan. I don't want to buy anything else. I bring my own phone. Public Mobile was the one reliable monthly bill I never sweated about. Why'd PM mess with that? Seniors are gone.

Aehmttw
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Telus, Bell or Rogers, didn't check didn't care, just saw something cheaper. And since I could get the same plan I have now for cheaper, I did. It's like when I switched from Koodo to PC a few years ago when all the good plans were for new customers. 

Just leaving a link for anyone who wants or needs it. At the end of the day who cares what company or sub company you're paying, just matters how much. Cheers! 

@golfball wrote:

It wasn't that. It said that people would get a point for each month, for example a two year customer would get 24 points on the switch over to the new rewards. I don't recall where it was written.

@golfball It used to be on the points page but it was removed a day or two before this announcement.

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It wasn't that. It said that customers would get a point for each month, for example a two year customer would get 24 points on the switch over to the new rewards. I don't recall where it was written.

asiaminor2k

Absolutely terrible deal for longtime loyal customers on the lower-cost plans ($10, $15, $20).

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @Yanny1 

I see we’re essentially saying the samething! I was typing my post just after you posted so I didn’t see yours. Cheers

MrKirby

1st disappointed that you don’t grandfather us loyal and network distributors of your brand for the $1 off a month promotions. (Did us dirty)

2nd very  VERY upset with the fact that my courtesy 250gb expires.  I have a50gb plan and use maybe 5gb a month.  

at the very least the courtesy should be transferable. 

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Without any further communication from PM since the initial announcement, its unknown what “enhancements” are in store for the Points Program. There are 3 tweaks they could make where two are cost-neutral to PM and the other isn’t tied to rewards but would actually make more $ for them in the long run:

First, in May for all 1+ year subscribers, spread the 5% of plan price and $10 anniversary reward directly against each monthly bill. This application is like a discount that the old program used instead of like a rebate that the new one uses. Second (and to go with the first), make it automatic instead of the need to play “digital whack-a-mole”with Ever”annoying-and-incessant-use-of-6-digit-codes”Safe each month.

Third, remove the new activation only aspect of some plans and allow all plans to all customers. I’m no business tycoon but I’d rather receive lesser $ from a client than nothing at all by forcing them to leave and go to a competitor who offers a plan better suited to meet their needs.

Public_Cust_17

@HALIMACS  WOW, that's the first time I've ever been lucky enough to peek behind the curtain.. Once, years ago, I got a community reward but I didn't have a clue what I did to deserve it...interesting, Thanks!

Yup @kb_mv , it's all @Sophia fault 😂, ....  along with the rest of us who decided being LOYAL to a company has it's benefits.

Gosh - were we ever fooled!

Yanny1

While I acknowledge the rationale behind introducing new programs to improve customer experience and offer greater flexibility, I must express my concerns about the transition. As a long-standing subscriber of Public Mobile, I have greatly appreciated the value provided by the old Rewards program, particularly its money-saving opportunities through loyalty rewards.

As an upstanding and loyal subscriber, the monthly savings and convenience offered by the old Rewards program have been a primary reason for my continued loyalty. Unlike other rewards programs with extensive point accumulation or redemption processes, the old Rewards program seamlessly rewarded subscribers with monthly bill credits, automatically reducing their bills.

This aspect of the old Rewards program not only offered tangible monetary benefits but also contributed to a hassle-free experience for subscribers like myself. The ability to enjoy monthly savings without the need to actively track or redeem rewards significantly influenced my decision to stay with Public Mobile.

While I appreciate the introduction of the Public Points program and the increased flexibility it provides, it's crucial to recognize that the automatic bill credits from the old Rewards program are unmatched. For subscribers valuing consistent and predictable savings, the retirement of the old Rewards program may lead to a loss of confidence and satisfaction with Public Mobile's offerings.

Therefore, I strongly urge the Public Mobile team to reconsider retiring the old Rewards program and allow subscribers to continue benefiting from monthly bill credits and the convenience they provide. By maintaining this aspect of the old Rewards program alongside the Public Points program, Public Mobile can ensure that subscribers receive the best of both worlds – financial savings and flexibility in reward options.

Thank you for considering my perspective. I remain hopeful that Public Mobile will prioritize the interests and preferences of its loyal subscribers as it evaluates its rewards program.

It's the top 50%, top 25%, top 10%, top 5%, and top 1%.

Values are $1, $2, $5, $10 & $15 (soon to be replaced with points of equal value)

The Oracles get $20 (soon, points) every month.

Public_Cust_17

@HALIMACS  I was just saying, in my cheeky way.. it's probably only the top 10% or something like that who would get rewarded.

liuxinbing

It doesn’t matter. We don’t stick /be loyal to one provider, we don’t hate one either. We go who ever gives better deal, keep moving around. 

There was a Telus plan, $20/m for 200min weekday time, unlimited calling the rest of the week, free phone for the three year contract. I tried to get this, but Telus said “there is something wrong with your SIN”, which confirmed to be a lie, after I called HRDC. So came to Telus again asking to be on the $20 deal, this time Telus wants $2500 deposit. Twenty five hundred dollars deposit to secure a 20x36 contract? Am I insane or Telus is?

I told myself to never touch Telus. Then came PM which is the subsidiary of Telus, I simply jumped on because it was a good deal, as long as they only need $25 prepayment, not $2500. 

actually I did try Rogers, because it was the only GSM provider (soon after Rogers bought Fido). I have been with rogers four times, they piss me four times. So I will never be back to Roger’s or Fido, this is for sure. 

@Public_Cust_17 wrote:

They absolutely do @JDBlue1966 .   The most likely metrics when assessing monthly rewards for community involvement are Solutions authored and Bravos received.   It's debatable whether Bravos given, screen views, commenting, starting threads go into the 'top-secret formula' they use.

@JDBlue1966  I'm going to chime in here that most likely Bravos received is also used in a ranking manner where something like only the top 10% or some super-secret number along with the other super-secret factors are used in deciding who the PM gods bestow their rewards upon...  they may even use AI to disqualify sarcastic comments like this one.  lol

Huh @Public_Cust_17 , that’s what I wrote.🤔 

Perhaps you meant, bravos given?

They may also be included, but it’s never been officially known.

Public_Cust_17

They absolutely do @JDBlue1966 .   The most likely metrics when assessing monthly rewards for community involvement are Solutions authored and Bravos received.   It's debatable whether Bravos given, screen views, commenting, starting threads go into the 'top-secret formula' they use.

@JDBlue1966  I'm going to chime in here that most likely Bravos received is also used in a ranking manner where something like only the top 10% or some super-secret number along with the other super-secret factors are used in deciding who the PM gods bestow their rewards upon...  they may even use AI to disqualify sarcastic comments like this one.  lol

Public_Cust_17

@kb_mv  Okay, that's funny... thanks for the laugh this morning!  😆

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Sophia wrote:

Ugh. So much for loyalty. I was paying $6 and now I have to remember some garbage redeem thingie. I have already signed up with someone else - as soon as the SIM card arrives, I'm porting out. Thanks for nothing Public Mobile!

Not to take away what you rightfully earned by being a loyal customer @Sophia , but I suspect it's because they were only earning $6 from you every 30 days is the prime reason they're doing this.

@HALIMACS So this whole fiasco is @Sophia 's fault????? J/K

Public_Cust_17

@ninjastar  I think you missed my point. If I decide to leave PM and after trying out other plans, if I can't find something that works better for me I can always come back to a Telus provider and maybe on a Koodo plan instead as they have the same $15 plan that might have better support than PM offers.

Nevermind, I saw that in my emails and thought it was in response to one of my posts... ugh, I need more caffeine this morning.  😴

@JDBlue1966 wrote:

Have a question for everyone. These Bravos things. Do they get you $ rewards? If so, I suggest everyone clicks on everyone they see. 

Saying that, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that PM may be excluding metrics from the Announcement section (as they do with the Lounge section) from counting toward this monthly reward.

Still - definitely go ahead and bravo as many users as your heart desires, it's the polite thing to do, after all!!!

@ninjastar , it's possible some (i'd go so far as to say, many) have no idea that Public Mobile and Koodo are subsidiaries of TELUS.   Indeed, if those folks want to move based on principle alone, avoid any of them.

In the end, it's really all about choice, and like many others, I'll let the wallet decide since NO mobile service provider is gonna be loyal to their customers.

They're all in it to win it.

IanP

It might not be today

It might not be tomorrow 

It might not be may

But if loyalty is gone ?

So am I when something equivalent come on offer.

@Sophia wrote:

Ugh. So much for loyalty. I was paying $6 and now I have to remember some garbage redeem thingie. I have already signed up with someone else - as soon as the SIM card arrives, I'm porting out. Thanks for nothing Public Mobile!

Not to take away what you rightfully earned by being a loyal customer @Sophia , but I suspect it's because they were only earning $6 from you every 30 days is the prime reason they're doing this.

By no means am I justifying their move, just stating the obvious.

JDBlue1966

Have a question for everyone. These Bravos things. Do they get you $ rewards? If so, I suggest everyone clicks on everyone they see. 

Super_man4471

So I am just piling on to the comments. Not a good move to change the program for loyal customers that earned it. We have four family lines with PM. Yes the loyalty program was an influencing perk. Sorry …. bad move by PM to change loyalty definition for those that thought they earned it. 

ninjastar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So you're leaving Telus to go to...Telus. That's not how it works, lol. This was their plan....

liuxinbing

Six lines, that’s a lot. There must have been hundreds of customers left after the announcement, even before May conversion. PM, please do something to retain the current loyalty customers like me, and lure those who left back 

TrentJ4

I have my whole family on PM, including in-laws, 6 lines total all because of the auto pay and loyalty rewards,

have $34 plans with more data than anyone uses but stay because with referrals and other discounts they are all in with tax for the most $30.  

I will have to shop elsewhere because any low cost PM plan comes with almost no data.   It’s been 10 years now, sad to say goodbye.  Hopefully they offer some more compelling plans to keep us like some competitors - $29/25gb 5g data and unlimited US and Canada calling. - that’s where ill be landing.

JDBlue1966

I feel the same. Everyone I talked to about phone plans, i praised PM. Not anymore though. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure that none of the other providers are 100% loyal to their customers. I will just go with another provider and keep chopping and changing for the best deal. 

Dunkgirl1

I have been with public mobile over 5 years I don't know why they got rid of my username and changed this forum.

I was told I would stay on the old rewards system as long as I remained a customer. I will be leaving public mobile once my remaining balance is used up. It is unfortunate just how strongly I have felt love for PM and have advocated their service to everyone anytime I spoke about cell phones / service with everyone.

I can assure you, I will do my absolute best to let everyone know to stay away in the future.

Need Help? Let's chat.