Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,595 REPLIES 5,595

Robbwell
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Before you complain to CCTS you need an argument (and you need to deal with PM first). This forum provides those arguments. Just complaining is not enough for CCTS to decide anything.

Lucster

The title of this post is truly misleading or it's propaganda driven.  There are NO changes planned to the old reward program.  The title should have been "The elimination of the old reward program".  

PM has the right to modify/eliminate their reward/points program any way they want.  What I disliking is the lies (listed below) and the fact they are breaking a promise (also listed below).

Go ahead PM, do what you want and the customers we'll demonstrate our ability to respond to your choices.  However, consider the impact of your reputation because typically unsatisfied customers share their experience with co-workers, friends & family members. 

List of lies (paraphrased):

1. Only new customers will be forced to the points program.  Lie, you're forcing us to the points program May 2024.
  2. You'll love the new points program.  Lie, we'll end up paying more so I'm not sure what we'll love about it?  The new lottery with points you're implementing?  I'm not a gambler so I'll pass!
  3. We're changing to the old reward program.  Lie, you're eliminating it.  Be blunt and tell the truth.
  4. We're grateful for your loyalty, here is a gift of data.  Lie, gift do NOT expire.

I could continue, but like I wrote before (and it was reported on iphonecanada.ca), I'll wait until May 2024 to make my final decision as I'm still hoping PM might change its mind.  If they do not, I already have selected PM's replacement for my 6 lines (I'm a good son who takes care of his parents).

Renzha

I don't understand why people keep arguing here. It is useless. Only way is to complain to ccts and switching to other carriers.

Again, I will switch all my 4 PM lines and 1 Koodo line to others even pay morr, no more telus

mikasik2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Oh man I just woke up from a terrible dream where PM took our rewards away and forcibly replaced them with something inferior 😫

@G_Pomzz wrote:

Good point but I would like things to remain the way they are. As a good corporate citizen, PM should grandfather those of us who have been loyal customers. New recruits can be put on the new and improved points system and they will love it. 

@G_Pomzz, we all want that and that is what PM has been doing for the last 2 years, but I do beleive that is coming to an end as I don't see PM reversing this decision (still have hope but not holding my breath).

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ridgeline, J_PM was probably providing us with the information they had at the time.  The comment of "There is no plans to migrate customers" was 2 years ago.  In a business based on technology that is a HUGE amount of time for things to change as plans and strategies do in any business.

As for the member who spoke with a higher up at Telus and was told the points program was in Transition period but there was no solid timeline determined to move everyone over.  Senior Managers are working on timeline plans of longer range.  Lower level Managers will be working on timelines of months to a year.  I don't think it should be considered to be contradicting what was heard from a "Higher Up" when PM managers are just acting on the information they have at the time.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

G_Pomzz

Good point but I would like things to remain the way they are. As a good corporate citizen, PM should grandfather those of us who have been loyal customers. New recruits can be put on the new and improved points system and they will love it. 

Legacy_Rewards

At the end of the day PM could reverse its decision on the legacy rewards but it would still not help us. Public Mobile would still be able to increase the price of their plans. Long time customers have had it very good here at PM. There has rarely been any price increases. Their tier 1 and tier 2 companies have increased plan prices significantly. Just the other day their tier 2 company increased their BF promo from $29 to $34 after 4 months. Taking our loyalty and autopay rewards away from us is a way for PM to increase plan prices without increasing plan prices.

@Public_Cust_17 wrote:

@ShawnC13  I must admit, I find your honesty and openness to address comments in a fairly unbiased manner is refreshing compared to some of the others.  Cheers

@Public_Cust_17, thank you for that.  These changes affect everyone including my family. You do mention how you think it probably affects Oracles less,(assuming because we get $20) but we are still losing the same amount or Legacy Rewards.  You could say the same for everyone that receives community rewards.  Saying that I totally know where you are coming from when you say that this affects the vulnerable the most.  I have read about many good plans for low use/low cost ($119 for 12 months)from other providers and unfortunately many may have to port out to find the best deal for them. Everyone must always be ready to follow what is best for their finances, that is a good thing about PM that we aren't locked into long term contracts and are very flexible when better deals come up.

ridgeline

@softech wrote:

as @ShawnC13 explained, Oracle have no insight in the decision making process and obviously has no influence at all.  

Personally, the moment PM introduced the new rewards program (2022), people should understand one single rewards system is the part of PM's plan., it will come one day, just a matter or timing.  Many businesses would simply introduce new rewards system and move everyone over (Starbucks, Aeroplan, credit card rewards/cashback program, etc).  With PM, they have kept the 2 rewards system in parallel for 2 extra years.

Yes, it's not a decision we like.  It affects everyone and we all lost $4-$7 every cycle.   Many thought Oracles are exempted, but keep in mind , Oracles are customers like everyone else and we lost the same rewards amount like everyone else

@softech When the announcement about Public Points was made in early 2022, Public emphasized that joining Public Points was optional for existing subscribers.  One customer (killer23d) posted in the Introducing Public Points Rewards forum that they had inside information from a higher up at Telus that everyone would eventually be migrated over to the points system as part of the corporate strategy@J_PM contradicted that customer's inside information and replied that joining points was optional and that there were no plans to migrate customers into the new program.  Please see screenshots of those posts below.  I believe this is why there is a feeling by many legacy rewards customers of broken trust and broken promises by Public.

ridgeline_0-1710473008948.jpeg

ridgeline_1-1710473280544.jpeg

Public_Cust_17

@softech  I completely understand... Shawn also stated that you get $20 / month plus god know how many people you have for referrals. I would imagine that is not the case for most people on the $15 plan which would cost you nothing if you get $20 month credit for being an Oracle. So not so much the same right! Read some of the posts.. these are people that have the plan as it can be cost justified and not multiple accounts as you seem to believe "most others" have.. this hurts the most vulnerable customers disproportionately. That's the point I'm making but you're just dismissing because you'll have to pay as well.

@Public_Cust_17 wrote:

@softech  I will again point out (as I did to ShawnC13) that I believe the impact to Oracles will be far less impactful than it will be on the most vulnerable of PM's customers...  Hence the opposition and anger in peoples comments. 

@Public_Cust_17 then let me point out clearly, your "belief" is wrong

I think ShawnC13 has explained and you just never want to see the truth, the change in rewards system impact to Oracle as much as any customers.  Like most others, I have multiple accounts with PM and all are affected.  For example, my $15 account used to have $7 savings like anyone with the $15 plan.  And of course, like all others, I will be paying full $15+tax on that line and humbly earning 0.75 points per renewal and 10 anniversary points once a year.  

So, Oracles dislike the decision as much as you.  There is really no need to put Oracles under the spotlight 

Public_Cust_17

@ShawnC13  I must admit, I find your honesty and openness to address comments in a fairly unbiased manner is refreshing compared to some of the others.  Cheers

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Well, I don’t agree that people should have understood one rewards program was PMs plan. I can’t speak for others but I’m not a clairvoyant. Also, PMs marketing department decided to communicate the opposite by stating we could stay on the Legacy Rewards program. My issue is I’m now on a $34 plan and cannot move down to a 4G plan at $24/$29 at this time (I’m not interested in a 3G plan). Had PM given an indication it was their intent to move to a single rewards program along with an estimated date of implementation for doing so, then I could have positioned my current plan for that date to effectively allow me to offset the increase in cost (from losing rewards directly applied on my bill) by moving down to a lower-priced plan. Now I have to wait (and hope) the 4G plans are opened to all in May.

Public_Cust_17

@softech  I will again point out (as I did to ShawnC13) that I believe the impact to Oracles will be far less impactful than it will be on the most vulnerable of PM's customers...  Hence the opposition and anger in peoples comments. 

Public_Cust_17

@wetcoaster  fair enough... I was only attempting to show that there is a way to gather information in able to make an informed decision.  Cheers

Public_Cust_17

@hTideGnow  Criteria means.. area, phone, time of day, driving or walking around, inside buildings or outside, acceptable results, etc..  I didn't say specific resulting data that could identify anyone. In my experience use case and testing criteria are necessary to validate results.. not just some b.s. answer that it's not good enough because that is a subjective statement that means nothing without "SMART" goals ie. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-Bound.  Your statements regarding a competitor not being very good mean nothing without establishing the testing criteria you are basing your decision on.

Public_Cust_17

Hahahahaha... yeah okay, sure!!  🤣😂🤣

as @ShawnC13 explained, Oracle have no insight in the decision making process and obviously has no influence at all.  

Personally, the moment PM introduced the new rewards program (2022), people should understand one single rewards system is the part of PM's plan., it will come one day, just a matter or timing.  Many businesses would simply introduce new rewards system and move everyone over (Starbucks, Aeroplan, credit card rewards/cashback program, etc).  With PM, they have kept the 2 rewards system in parallel for 2 extra years.

Yes, it's not a decision we like.  It affects everyone and we all lost $4-$7 every cycle.   Many thought Oracles are exempted, but keep in mind , Oracles are customers like everyone else and we lost the same rewards amount like everyone else

sorry @Robbwell , the Loyalty  reward is part of the legacy rewards program and basically PM is ending it and hence the loyalty rewards is going away with it

Robbwell

What I mean is there was a deal that if I stayed for 5 years I'd get $5 off forever. I did my part. Now PM have to honour that deal.

As for the $2 for AutoPay. They can end that because I can choose to end AutoPay.

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

As an Oracle, do you have any insight on why PM takes this approach though? I’m having difficulty understanding the logic of why existing customers need to wait to get on a plan that is cheaper but is available to a new customer right away (I’m not referring to the 3G plans but the fact that no 4G plans are available for existing at this time). This is particularily bewildering if the existing customer has brought in referrals to help build the base whereas a new customer has not. Regardless, I hope the aspect of “greater flexibility” with regard to the points program will extend to plan selection as well. Cheers.

@RetiredGuy1  I don't, we don't hear when new plans are even released they just show up on the plans page and we hear from the community when they discover them.  We all know the points are worse for the customer compated to Legacy Rewards, so it will be interesting to see what they do to try and make it more attractive.  It will never match the Legacy Rewards though.

@Robbwell wrote:

My complaint is that they cannot remove a benefit already earned. They can make changes going forward where subscribers can accept or reject.

@Robbwell 

for "earned" rewards, they already credit them as Available Funds monthly on your account.  The "earned" rewards were used for renewal or if any leftover, those "earned" rewards will stay as Available Fund and will not be "taken away.

it's "how to earn reward" will be changed.  There will no longer be loyalty rewards and autopay rewards on the new rewards systems.  Instead, you will earn 5% in points of any spending with PM and you will get a 10 points anniversary rewards annually.  For Friends referrals you made, you will still receive them the same, just receive in points

JDBlue1966

Thats my thinking. Change things going forward, but don’t change what Loyal customers have got in the past.

Robbwell

My complaint is that they cannot remove a benefit already earned. They can make changes going forward where subscribers can accept or reject.

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Why are you spreading misinformation here? Claiming that there are many more examples of me belittling people? While conveniently claiming that many of them have been deleted, knowing that people wouldn't be able to see them anyway? You know that's untrue, so that's quite a low blow. You should be ashamed of yourself for resorting to that, especially considering you were just claiming that I was spreading "misinformation" in the message before that.

JDBlue1966

Guess they lied to you. Maybe they should change the name from Public Mobile. Was a time i thought it was a phone provider for people who just wanted a basic phone plane. 

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Nobody is spreading "misinformation". I've been reading your posts for a week now, and just like this one, you're often very much coming to the defense of the company. Whether or not you consider these posts to be many, I guess that would be subjective.

No need to even respond to all of your other comments individually, because it's just you disagreeing with me, without offering reasoning. But, a guy says he's a shareholder, works for the company (as an Oracle), continues to go on writing multiple messages in defense of said company and their decision, and talks about how inflation is hurting them and calls it unsustainable himself, but you don't see this as trying to get somebody to feel guilty. If that's not an attempt at trying to get somebody to feel guilty, I don't know what is. But fair enough, we can agree to disagree.

You don't feel like saying "you will keep x as long as your account remains active", and then taking it away, is lying, or breaking a promise?

It's objectively breaking a promise, that's not even a question. Whether or not they were allowed to do it, that's a different story. Unless your argument is that it's not technically breaking a promise because the ToS existed at the same time, thus nullifying their original statement, but that's a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Even is this is true, at the very least it's considered highly misleading. They know that 99.9% of people won't read the ToS, so why write that statement at all in the first place, if not to mislead? It's an untrue statement, so why write it?

Scamp
  • Why are taking away my bonus 1GbB T the end of this month? It looks you guys are about profit margins now instead of offering a No Frills network. Does this mean there is going to phone customer service with your profits now?

JennalynnFlesch

So much for their promisesSo much for their promises

Need Help? Let's chat.