Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,513 REPLIES 5,513

RNk6xib2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Dunkman wrote:

@RNk6xib2 wrote:

The $15 PM plan is $15 per 30 days. Lucky Mobile has a $15 plan with the same 100 minutes, 250mb (with auto pay) and texting but it's per month.

I'm sure if you do the math, PM + new points system might still make up for the lost day here and there but I'll be moving to the lucky $15 plan out of annoyance if it goes though.

@RNk6xib2 

Lucky mobile is an option for sure.  However, their $15 plan does not include unlimited incoming minutes like Public mobile.  No US roaming options.  Just do your research before switching.  

Lucky mobile does have a 3rd month free promo and generous one time friend referral reward. 

The freedom mobile one year plan ($120) seems like a decent deal for customers in the Freedom coverage areas. 

Looks like I'm in the 4G area so this is where I'm going in May. Thank you.

CheddarMom
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

After being a customer for 8 years I'm moving my 2 accounts. The rewards was the only thing keeping me here but now PM will be just like all the rest. 

Michael6666
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Post removed. 

Not certain enough of what I found

@RNk6xib2 wrote:

The $15 PM plan is $15 per 30 days. Lucky Mobile has a $15 plan with the same 100 minutes, 250mb (with auto pay) and texting but it's per month.

I'm sure if you do the math, PM + new points system might still make up for the lost day here and there but I'll be moving to the lucky $15 plan out of annoyance if it goes though.

@RNk6xib2 

Lucky mobile is an option for sure.  However, their $15 plan does not include unlimited incoming minutes like Public mobile.  No US roaming options.  Just do your research before switching.  

Lucky mobile does have a 3rd month free promo and generous one time friend referral reward. 

The freedom mobile one year plan ($120) seems like a decent deal for customers in the Freedom coverage areas. 

Michael6666

I agree. 

But with a little research, unless you have large quantities of referrals, there's better elsewhere.

Fizz and freedom are great options. 

RNk6xib2

Actually, here, imagine this, a world after covid where some Restaurants still have QR codes for their menus. You go there to be told to scan it only to be forced into saying "I dont have data, do you have WiFi".

You're out with Friends/co-workers and something comes up where you need to look it up on your phone. We've all been here but I have to say "sorry man, no data".

Does anyone think this it's fun to publicly admit that you don't have data? It's not a far reach to say that they know you don't have enough money for it, is it? I don't choose this life, I'd love to have 100GB of data I can use on my phone, s--- I'm still using a nexus 5.... so I mean it's obvious anyway but **bleep**. I pay $5.65 after tax right now. 200% increase is crazy. my $120 a year won't hurt Entwistle at all but it makes a world of difference to me.

Apr 11, 2023Telus paid Mr. Entwistle $17.49-million in 2022,

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-telus-ceo-highest-paid-telecom/

So, if I'm paying someone, it's not going to be the evil trying to take an additional $120 out of my pocket.

hi @Michael6666 with PM removing the huge savings , everyone will have to reevaluate their needs and situation. People has reason to stay or to go, we just need to respect their decision 🙂

viral911

I only got 5GB as bonus data as 4 years of loyalty and for moving me over to a garbage points system. Where is my 240GB? Where are the 40 points for loyalty as well? You've removed it. 

Need a reply.

Michael6666

I can't disagree more. 

Once this change goes through, it's cheaper for me and one account I manage at fizz. It's not debatable, just a fact.

The other account at 15$ is slightly more inconvenient to move because they have multiple non expiring minute and data ad ons. But if ever freedom mobile comes to Quebec, the yearly plan is way cheaper with 0 concessions, only improvements. 

Stelawrat

For anyone interested in 5G plans, I posted what I felt was some interesting information in the lounge. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Some-Interesting-Facts-Regarding-5G-Plans/...

I realize that many of you are tech savvy & probably well aware of all the ins & outs re: 5G, but for the rest of us 😛 I thought some might be interested. 

Also, for the record, I received a text message this morning re: the change to the points system & advising I'd be receiving the 240GB bonus, but as previously mentioned, I'd already received the text on Tuesday, advising the data had been added to my account. 

So on the plus side, the texts are being sent out still, just a bit on the wonky side re: timing...

Kel1

How to access my account because of the pop up about retiring the old loyal program

hi @dabr I have to say PM system is glitchy.  Many still willing to tolerate it because of the savings, huge savings.  Now that the savings drop dramatically, PM better able to offer a better system to make it up

hi @edeepm please respect yourself by respecting others with different views. Your comment does not line up with the free speech Canadian value and is offensive 

ily
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@JennalynnFlesch wrote:

PM's answer to my refusal to be moved to their new points program was this, followed by my answer; (I am filing with CCTS )

Hello there,

We’re making these changes in an effort to ensure we’re providing the best possible value to our subscribers.

PM, I think you're completely confused as to what your subscribers actually value. It's plain and simple: dollars. We don't care about your points, contests, and what not. You had a real thing going and it worked. Now you're gonna throw everything out the window out of greed. It's outrageous, and dare I say, immoral.

@hTideGnow   Without knowing the exact reason why others will be switching to a different provider and pay the same, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume PM's deficiencies and better (live support?) might be the tipping point once PM removes the legacy rewards for those on budget plans needing a reason to stay.

RNk6xib2

@dabrThat's a good point.. Looking I have

• 554 Int'l LD bonus minutes left of 1000(two free 500 min from PM)
  • 380 canada wide minutes (paid for by me)
  • 7GB of data (free from X years of holiday bonuses)

for me to move to another provider I would give up these and they're really nice to have. I guess I'm the other side of the coin as you because I'm willing to give these up (I typically use voip.ms for international calls) to show Telus/PM that I'm serious. Short of that and complaining as loud as I can, they're going to think sticking it to the poor little guys on the cheapest plan is okay.

yes @dabr ,any just leave because they are upset, some not confirm if they in fact still have save money by staying 

@RNk6xib2    I don't want to pay the same price as I will be paying with PM after May.  In fact, I have plenty of data/international/domestic minutes (purchased/gifted) available in my plan already, so it doesn't make much sense to me to switch to another provider and pay the equivalent price and lose all that.  However, I'm willing to forego those add-ons if the cost is going to a lot less with another provider.

@Wolfcore wrote:

Crazy to see Oracles openly trying to guilt people into feeling sorry for the profits of a multibillion dollar company like Telus, while speaking to subscribers of a budget brand, who are probably struggling to pay rent, or even eat (like most of Canada), due to the exact same inflation being spoken of. Even if that's how they feel, they should probably sit this one out, just out of respect, as it's quite disrespectful.

I can assure you that a legacy rewards program of Public Mobile, isn't hurting Telus financially. Regardless of inflation, they're continuing to see profit from each and every legacy customer. They simply want more. 

Trust me, I am not shy to encourage people to shop with their wallets, I do it myself.  That said, I am here because of the shopping efforts, the rewards were a bonus on top.  I hate to see it go just as much as the next customer.  Please don't think I am in any way a paid shill.  

LTD2023

You hit the nail on the head with that one!!😀

RNk6xib2

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Crazy to see Oracles openly trying to guilt people into feeling sorry for the profits of a multibillion dollar company like Telus, while speaking to subscribers of a budget brand, who are probably struggling to pay rent, or even eat (like most of Canada), due to the exact same inflation being spoken of. Even if that's how they feel, they should probably sit this one out, just out of respect, as it's quite disrespectful.

I can assure you that a legacy rewards program of Public Mobile, isn't hurting Telus financially. Regardless of inflation, they're continuing to see profit from each and every legacy customer. They simply want more. 

@LTD2023 wrote:

@will13am wrote:  If people think they can find better elsewhere, have at it.  After cycling through the stages of grief, I suspect many will come to the realization that things are not so bad here. I have the 3G $15 plan with 250MG data 100 min Canada-wide calling unlimited texting. My referrals have already left PM and with my erwards disappearing, I have cycled through my grief. Another provider has a yearly plan with 15g data, unlimited T&T on 4G LTE for $119. I wonder where I'll take my business??

Unfortunately, I believe that's the whole point of this exercise is to reduce the number of customers on the $15 (or $13) plan/s and more than likely that's where a couple of our household lines (eventually) will end up.  I was previously with that provider and rarely had service problems but price wise, it'll be cheaper (enough) to make the switch.  I came to PM for the savings and will port out for the same reason.

thatISmyname

Apologies for replying here, this new setup is not intuitive to me at all.  I couldn't even use my old nickname (the form screen said it was already in use) so I'm stuck with this one I entered in anger.  ARGH. 

I haven't gone through all the posts (WAY too infuriating!) so I'm really just here because it sounds like I'm about to lose my remaining accumulated past reward bonuses of 5.49GB (NON-expiring data) and 1487 minutes of International Long Distance (also NON-expiring).  Can anyone definitively confirm that? 

Since I have internet at home, I rarely use it on my phone, but having nearly 6GB of backup available has been reassuring, especially for those times when the internet goes down on my modem!  (It's also been reassuring to have the International Long Distance minutes, though I'll grant my 93 year old mother gets more use out of them to call old friends in Germany.)

Honestly, without these Bonus minutes and data, I don't see any other reason to stay with Public Mobile.  The website is a joke, there's no more customer service, the list goes on.  It's too bad; I started with PM in May of 2014, and I was really impressed with it then.  In the ensuing 10 years, it has *not* improved with age. 

glimmercat - not "thatISmyname" 

LTD2023

I hope so, I don't want to leave PM but these days, you have to shop with your wallet.

@LTD2023 wrote:

@will13am wrote:  If people think they can find better elsewhere, have at it.  After cycling through the stages of grief, I suspect many will come to the realization that things are not so bad here. I have the 3G $15 plan with 250MG data 100 min Canada-wide calling unlimited texting. My referrals have already left PM and with my erwards disappearing, I have cycled through my grief. Another provider has a yearly plan with 15g data, unlimited T&T on 4G LTE for $119. I wonder where I'll take my business??

So you should.  Shop with your wallet, not your heart.  Maybe this will help to bring a similar plan option to this brand.  

hi @Aehmttw yes for the cheapest plan with the most data

btw, the new app now cam access rewards and check and redeem points, so it is easier than ever 😉

Aehmttw

Eh, it's fine really. There around xmas one of the agents helped me set up with one of those special offer plans and even if I don't use the point system (which I wont because I am forgetful and will never log in for it lol) or the old loyalty discounts. Still have the cheapest plan with the most data. 

LTD2023

@will13am wrote:  If people think they can find better elsewhere, have at it.  After cycling through the stages of grief, I suspect many will come to the realization that things are not so bad here.

I have the 3G $15 plan with 250MG data 100 min Canada-wide calling unlimited texting. My referrals have already left PM and with my erwards disappearing, I have cycled through my grief. Another provider has a yearly plan with 15g data, unlimited T&T on 4G LTE for $119. I wonder where I'll take my business??

Robbwell

My point was they can't make changes that affect our past behaviour. We've earned the $1/mo/yr forever.

They can put what they like in the Terms of Service and take their chances with external overseers.

Need Help? Let's chat.