Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,339 REPLIES 5,339

upandadam
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A lot of disconnect from your post that you really need to reflect on.   It was literally called a LOYALTY discount.  They also built their brand while relying on community support as am online only service that had a LOT of issues back in the day. Also, loyalty customers bringing people over.  Friends/family bringing in friends, helping them get set up in the early days of PM when it was incredibly small.  It's a greasy practice that you are bending over for, regarding of their rights as a business.  I promise that without the loyalty discounts, many people would have left and the community would have never taken off the way it did. 

So please reflect, as your post comes across as incredibly disingenuous.

Community_QA_
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@J_PM 

Thanks for the announcement 

Like most people here, I don't like this change.   Personally, I  am going to loss  $84+tax  a year for my own account alone. Then I have couple more lines in my family and extended family, and friends.. the network goes on

I referred so many friends and I am their point of contact with PM support. Many called me in the past days. about this bad news. We all dislike more about the 150 days limited time data and the fact that we cannot downgrade our plan to try to utilize the data fully.

Tonight, I decide to come and read all the replies. There are a lot!! I have spent over 2 hours reading every posts here, 2218 replies the moment I start typing this

But I am not going to be like most of the 2000 posts here , coming here just to make a post to insult PM and those who work for PM, or those who try to share a more rational comment

I won't try to glorify myself like the other 2000 posts here saying I am "loyal" to PM and why PM betrays me. There is no betrayal here, it is just business. All these 2000+ posters (actually a lot less posters because the top poster alone already posted 190 times alone) should know better that the rewards would not stay that way.

People just try to use all the lame reasons in hope that PM will change its mind and they can continue saving the $7/month. Contrary to what they said, they have zero loyalty to PM, they are just loyal to the $7 saving. They moment they know the $7 gone, they turn away and start the search for a cheaper mobile provider. This is not loyalty to PM. They are just loyal to savings. I don't blame them. We all love savings. But don't say it so loud that you have been loyal to PM.

And to those who still think the rewards will give them the $7 saving forever, sorry, someone already posted on RFD the reason why PM can do that legally (so many has referred the support they got on RFD, but why no one talks about this particular post)?

Community_QA__0-1710389423237.png

And to those who don't usually read fine prints (and think a petition or 200 posts here are all they need to save couple bucks back a month), ALL REWARDS program have similar terms to allow them to make necessary changes.  This is not new, this is happening daily.  PM is just exercising its business right to make the necessary amendments to the rewards system.  

Skaliger
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just filed complaint with CCTS, because that's completely crazy, and they accepted it. We'll see how PM contacts me within 20 days to resolve this issue.

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. There is nothing objectively good about this announcement, not for the subscribers of this company at least. So those people are either bots, or closely related to people who work for the company. Other than that, it would make no sense to Bravo this.

HI @aarondalzot 

Whoever they are , you should respect. Different people sees thing differently

Like I don't like this decision, but I understand the view from the business.  And it is a nature that all rewards systems will change, and will change in favour of the businesses.  

aarondalzot

Who in their right mind would upvote this statement?

Mike-B

Bad move public mobile. This was the only thing keeping many of the legacy customers subscribed. The points system is much worse than the old rewards program, they're not even close. I'm sure the majority of your subscriber base are on the new points system, it would have been better to make it so if people switched plans then they would need to move to the new points system. This would have moved most people from $40 5GB plan to $34 50GB with USD included. Rather then insults everyone with data that you can't use or will loose in 150 days. Everyone needs to file a complaint and then vote with there wallet. 

Stelawrat

@HALIMACS wrote:

@JDBlue1966 wrote:

Same with me and the wife. It’s not the money, it’s the principle of being screwed for loyalty. 

I feel it IS about the money @JDBlue1966.   Just my opinion, for what it's worth.  

Otherwise, not as many would be commenting and outraged.

Some may say it's principle-based, and that's a commendable stance to take.   I, for one, will let the best combination of price and options and service guide my choice.   If that's here, then so be it;  if elsewhere, then that's what it will be.

I'm guessing Public Mobile would love to see a mass exodus of it's die-hard $15 and $13 monthly customer base to other providers as their ARPU is unlikely with that segment.

For those of us with many years of Legacy Rewards + gifts over the years, I believe it's definitely about the money. I only have to read through the replies to see that it's the loss of the monthly reduction to the cost of their plan, that has angered them the most, which is normal after all. 

The rallying calls to breach of loyalty are valid as well, but I would imagine most people are well aware that brand loyalty ended a long time ago & that's definitely a two way street.

Today's consumer has all the data at their fingertips & aren't as apt to stay with one brand the way their parents did, as evidenced by all of the comments by people who are ready to kick their own loyalty to PM to the curb. 

It's a bygone era that businesses are well aware of & will adjust their practices for accordingly. 

If that offends their customers' principles, such that they abandon the business, in most cases won't have much of an impact, especially so in the case of mobile service providers, as they're pretty much all linked, in one way or another. 

I  wouldn't want to see people hurting themselves financially, in a vain attempt to try to hurt a conglomerate like Telus, the effect like a grain of sand in a desert. 

Personally, I lose ~$120. per year as a result of the change, maybe a drop in the bucket for some & doesn't have a big impact on myself. If I can do better elsewhere, with good reviews, service etc. & recoup that $120. or near it, fine. If all I stand to gain is $10 or $15 per year, then it's not worth the gamble, or the hassle & I certainly won't feel that I've lowered my principles. 

upandadam

I have been a subscriber since 2016.  Loyalty was the reason for staying and bringing in other custmers.

This destroys that and now there is absolutely no reason to stay. 

PM just ruined the one thing that made them different and worth being loyal to.

SeniorCitizen

@Palaco wrote:

This is ridiculous. You will be losing many loyal subscribers if this change occurs including myself. Listen to the people and reverse this hypocrisy at once.

I agree BUT. If you have rewards now from referrals they can accumulate for the odd $15 off. But if no referrals and you find something similar…..go for it. 

SeniorCitizen

@computergeek541 

@Skin 

If there is no value (community reward) to get your old name back….don't  bother.  They messed all 3 of mine up. And one doesn’t work. 

Palaco

This is ridiculous. You will be losing many loyal subscribers if this change occurs including myself. Listen to the people and reverse this hypocrisy at once.

@Skin wrote:

Same here, put me with status ‘New in town’ 

Your old Community username is recoverable.  A ticket would need to be opened to make this request.

SeniorCitizen

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @dariovitale 

once you ported out your number, your account will be closed, there is no way to resume the account

but of course, you can always come back and reactivate as a new account with a new sim card or new esim

@hTideGnow 

That’s what PM says.  But I doubt it.  When I ported my Telus prepaid number to PM my Telus account remained for 3 months. I contacted them as to why, I  was told they kept it there in case I changed my mind. And I had a balance on my account as well, that I forfeited. 

SeniorCitizen

@Christian1981 

I think you are ineligible for the free data. 

SeniorCitizen

@Christian1981 

You can edit your original post. 

Yanny1

Yes, I agree. The old reward program is much better.

dariovitale
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thats what I meant, you can port out your PM number when signing up Koodo, Telus or any other provider even just for a month and if one decides to come back to PM after a month just to take advantage of a newer plan that was better than they had they can by creating a new account, might have to use a different email address, sign up for a PM plan and port back their number to PM, of course with a new sim or not even, maybe just use your esim in the same cell that was used before. 

HI @SeniorCitizen 

I hope PM understands that and willing to up or change the compensation offer

SeniorCitizen

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @Christian1981 

yes, no one like the change.  there is no way to get back the $7 with the new plan.

and i have to agree, to many of us, the extra data is really little use, especially it is only 150 days  😞

And…….and……not everyone gets an “extra”.  Should have been something every one could have used vs selective. An L.D. Add on……or some points. 

HI @Christian1981 

yes, no one like the change.  there is no way to get back the $7 with the new plan.

and i have to agree, to many of us, the extra data is really little use, especially it is only 150 days  😞

Christian1981

Sorry, I said Roger, but I meant Telus. It's hard to keep us with who is buying out who these days.

Christian1981

This is crap. I have been a loyal customer for several years and now you are telling me that I will be losing my loyalty points. I was saving $7 a month on my bill and with this horrible Points Program, it will take me 3 months to get the same savings. Then, to insult me even more, you are going to give me free data. What a joke! I already get 60 GB (more than I would ever need) and you are putting a time limit on your "free gift." You know you have us and can do whatever you want as phone plans in Canada are expensive and Roger owns pretty much every.

HI @dariovitale 

once you ported out your number, your account will be closed, there is no way to resume the account

but of course, you can always come back and reactivate as a new account with a new sim card or new esim

dariovitale
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

GUYS............if you are a current customer, still stayin after the points plan change and see a new plan that is better than yours only new customers can get and want to keep your number.....there is a easy way. 1) Min a day before a PM billing cycle ends you sign up and port your number over to another branded provider, even telus or Koodo with a cheap plan. 2) Then before that current billing cycle ends you sign back up with PM and port your number back. It should be that easy. Worse case, have to wait 90 days before goin back to PM. 

mitchnet12

This response is a bit overdue. It's very unfortunate that customers are being switched over to a rewards program on with sketcky skoke and mirrors tactics. It reflects the tactics of another PM that Canadians are familiar with.

The bonus data is not a genuine goodwill gesture. I will add to the chorus that it is a slap in the face. If there was any sincerity to soften the blow to long time customers, it would be much better to offer an exclusive subscription to switch to, be it 30 day, or 90 day, and better than current offers.

I have a sneaking suspicion when my 90 day unlimited data subscription switches to the Canada-US limited data in May that the "goodwill" data will magically disappear, along with the legacy rewards program.

SeniorCitizen

@PCIrish wrote:

So here’s what I see happening.  Big brother TELUS takes over A great company like Public Mobile because they (Public) showed that a company can make money AND honour their loyal customers.  They  (TELUS) screw over the loyalty based customers, royalty.  The customers all leave.  TELUS says Public is no longer viable and they decide to shutter the company..  Public is neutralized and TELUS once again bullies anyone who dares to cross them.  Sounds reasonable to me.  Let’s see how this unfolds.

In my opinion Telus is driving  force right now. That is sickening, to say it mildly,  as rates are increasing, customer service is at its lowest ever and they just don’t care. Over the next years when I see I have to pay more for a Telus product than what I can get the same for, from a competitor…..there is nothing holding me back. I rarely say this……but I HATE Telus. And Rogers is working very competitively, to sell service that is all sourced in Canada. I was talking to a rep last week and he had a few Telus customers on our block moving to Rogers. I would have too. 
I think that  PM thinks that most customers think about PM as PM and that we don’t relate PM to Telus. 🤔
So if the change of rewards is eventually to be  one big/same program amongst Telus, Koodo, Public Mobile and (and?), will Public Mobile be absorbed by Koodo or Telus Mobility? Will Public Mobile be more saleable, which I doubt it would be sold off  vs disappear? 
I doubt that anything said in this thread will change the course. But ideas may have been gained for future use. 
I’ve been here for almost 5 years and still find the website and customer to be mediocre. Not an APP girl, so cannot comment. And the obvious errors are brought to their attention and nothing happens. Is very frustrating! But if that’s what you get from a 3rd tier service…ok I buy it. But don’t act that it’s a Cadillac service and become a bully. Are the missed autopay payments still happening? That infection was brought to PM from the Telus prepaid  system. 

What’s next? 3G plans become dinosaurs and are changed to 4G or 5G? And what cost to the consumer?

Today, in my very aged opinion, Loyalty programs are a scam, no matter who is offering it, it’s just a nice shingle to hang on the sign. So many loyalty programs were really good and eventually become so so and lose their ability to attract new customers. And don’t be fooled at better rates if you have Telus Home Services, Koodo or Telus Mobility. You can do better by negotiating your rate for each individual service. 

Skin

Same here, put me with status ‘New in town’ 

Skin

We loyal PM customers need the equivalent for loyalty reward of $5 per month and $2 Autopay reward. Don’t fool us PM with the new and worst reward points

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Robbwell 

This place is no contract.  Not a breach of contract.  The only 'contract' here is each 30-day cycle, and even that can be terminated at any time, with no further charges or commitments.

It is a breach of trust, however.   In some ways, that's way worse.

Very true each 30 days is a new "contract" they are saying that starting in May there will be no Legacy rewards and it is only Points

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.