Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,554 REPLIES 5,554

Stelawrat
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@marcnoel wrote:

One more time.

While I don't like this change any more than the next person, here's some food for thought.  It comes from ruminating on the whole thing over the last few days.

Approximately 18 months ago, the most expensive plan was $ 50 - 55.00 a month, and offered 20 GB, if I remember correctly.  Now, we can get 50 GB for $ 34.00 (for example).  We got more for less.  Separately, it used to be that everyone active with AutoPay got a $ 2.00 discount every month (Rewards system), independent of plan price.  With Points, the comparable discount is 5% back, which, if you have a $ 40.00 plan, equals $ 2.00 a month.  At that amount, both systems are the same.  Referrals remain the same, so that's no different.  Regarding Community contributions, I realized years ago that, if it takes ten minutes to post something that earns you a $ 1.00 (not guaranteed), you're getting $ 6.00/hour.  I begrudge nobody who does it, but it's not worth my time.   My point is that the Community Rewards/Points thing doesn't matter to me.  That leaves Loyalty.  Maximum $ 60.00/year through Rewards, now $ 10.00 via Points.  A $ 50.00 difference per year, which is $ 4.17 per month.  Currently, Fizz is offering 20 GB for $ 14.50/month for six months, then $ 29.00/month.  I just read reviews about reception and customer service, which were less than stellar.  Freedom has a one-year plan for $ 12.50/month, with an average of 2.5 GB per month.  In comparison, PM has 1 GB for $ 25.00.  I also keep forgetting that some of my referrals started out with Points, so they aren't impacted, which means they'll probably stick around.  I don't know if it would be better overall to switch to someone else, because, once I switch to points, I will get either 30.4 points/dollars per year (no referrals), or 126.4 points (currently 8 referrals).  It means that my discounted price for the $ 34.00 plan will be anywhere from ~$ 31.50 to 23.50 - for a 50 GB plan.  Is it worth it to move?

Only you can decide really. Honestly if I were you, then I would definitely stay until May, to take advantage of your current rewards. You have nothing to lose by doing that. Competitors aren't going away so... 

In the meantime, Telus / PM may make some more changes to their ideas, which might turn out to be positive. Again wait until May to see. 

In the meantime, you can continue to look around, ask family, friends, search the web for customer reviews of companies you think you might be interested in. 

Sometimes, it's better to stay with the devil you know, than to be cheeky with one you don't... or something like that?? How does that go again? Oh holy cow, it after midnight! 

Yogourt or no yogourt? Oh wth, yogourt it is! Goodnight all, stay safe, try to be good. o/

Lolo_1234
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

And here are the ToS for the rewards, updated in December 2023 : https://assets.ctfassets.net/xe7doznj0dju/5m6NPHsPnQ9G0FmwgB1qKe/0a574984c29f3a647172b43f9e550d68/Pu...

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Here are the ToS that were last updated May in 2023.  I am not sure if there are any archived copies of it

Public_WebPolicy_ServiceTerms_EN_April_2023.pdf (ctfassets.net)

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Here are the ToS that were last updated May in 2023.  I am not sure if there are any archived copies of it

Public_WebPolicy_ServiceTerms_EN_April_2023.pdf (ctfassets.net)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

They've also written that you will keep your referral and loyalty rewards as long as you remain an active customer, so they've contradicted themselves. The question is which part of the agreement takes precedence. I know when I signed up, it was made very clear that I'd keep these forever.

This information can also still readily be found right here on this very forum, and I've posted evidence multiple times throughout this thread.

Good information to use in a CCTS report at least.

@samako, yeah and I am pretty sure all the agreements started like the one I am sharing now

ShawnC13_0-1710216182897.png

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@OldNicknameGone Ok I did see this post yes unfortnately  the prices will be up for everyone.  As you are on the $40 plan you will be earning 2 points back each 30 days so you will have 24 points at the end of the year but like myself you will be out the $50 in the difference between 10 points and $5 for every 30 days.

samako
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks Shawn. As long as that is the same agreement as when I signed, then I have no stance other than vocal disappointment.

Thanks for your effort on the forum, and good luck.

marcnoel

One more time.

While I don't like this change any more than the next person, here's some food for thought.  It comes from ruminating on the whole thing over the last few days.

Approximately 18 months ago, the most expensive plan was $ 50 - 55.00 a month, and offered 20 GB, if I remember correctly.  Now, we can get 50 GB for $ 34.00 (for example).  We got more for less.  Separately, it used to be that everyone active with AutoPay got a $ 2.00 discount every month (Rewards system), independent of plan price.  With Points, the comparable discount is 5% back, which, if you have a $ 40.00 plan, equals $ 2.00 a month.  At that amount, both systems are the same.  Referrals remain the same, so that's no different.  Regarding Community contributions, I realized years ago that, if it takes ten minutes to post something that earns you a $ 1.00 (not guaranteed), you're getting $ 6.00/hour.  I begrudge nobody who does it, but it's not worth my time.   My point is that the Community Rewards/Points thing doesn't matter to me.  That leaves Loyalty.  Maximum $ 60.00/year through Rewards, now $ 10.00 via Points.  A $ 50.00 difference per year, which is $ 4.17 per month.  Currently, Fizz is offering 20 GB for $ 14.50/month for six months, then $ 29.00/month.  I just read reviews about reception and customer service, which were less than stellar.  Freedom has a one-year plan for $ 12.50/month, with an average of 2.5 GB per month.  In comparison, PM has 1 GB for $ 25.00.  I also keep forgetting that some of my referrals started out with Points, so they aren't impacted, which means they'll probably stick around.  I don't know if it would be better overall to switch to someone else, because, once I switch to points, I will get either 30.4 points/dollars per year (no referrals), or 126.4 points (currently 8 referrals).  It means that my discounted price for the $ 34.00 plan will be anywhere from ~$ 31.50 to 23.50 - for a 50 GB plan.  Is it worth it to move?

@samako wrote:

For any chance of the complaint being taken seriously, they would need a copy of the PM/user agreement at the time of any individual's signing.

Since PM has now changed agreements for new users and made it difficult/impossible for old users to find their agreements, it would likely involve legal action to obtain the originals.

ShawnC13_1-1710215480502.png

kenne221
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Forcing the change to the new rewards system is not right. Further compounded by PM trying to pull the wool over our eyes by trying to advertise it as being better. I would have been more likely to stay with the company if they just acknowledged that they're doing it as a cost-cutting mechanism than play us off as idiots. Please reverse or a CCTS complaint will be made.

Stelawrat

@OldNicknameGone wrote:

No HTML, no links, just plain text. I used a lot of dollar signs and slashes (for per month and per year), but still all just text. Maybe my high IQ move is grab a screenshot before I refresh and attach it as an image.

Edit: we were at 1474 replies when I last looked, now we're 1463 - someone is cleaning up.

Screen shot taken just now of a post a little bit above your own, so maybe you were being too fancy! 😋

Stelawrat_0-1710214785469.png

Irina_O

Here's a list of all Canadian providers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators_in_Canada

Keep in mind that PM, Koodo, and Telus, are basically the same company.

HarryF_604

I officially received my email notification today (March 11, 2024). I’m upset with Public Mobile's decision and hope you'll revise the position. I am a long-term customer (Loyalty Recognition—$5) and a refer-my-MOM ($1). I would have less incentive to stay and will be ready to port two lines away in May.

OldNicknameGone

You can find the post partway down this page. I finally got it posted by removing all dollar signs and slashes. It's pretty obvious where the punctuation would have been, with dollar signs before the numbers and slashes where I put per instead.

@OldNicknameGone wrote:

It seems they were really unimpressed with my posts, because I just tried twice to post my numbers again and it won't work. I hit reply and see the message as posted, but refresh the page and it's instantly gone. My posts are being filtered instantly. Maybe I should try posting it without all the dollar signs, in case that's what's triggering the filter! 😛

@OldNicknameGone I don't have the link but someone might have it to see if your posts are being picked up by the spam filter.

samako

Wow, banned from logging into my account to get my account number when I wanted to make the CCTS complaint... Now I can't even cancel. Thanks for the fuel for the CCTS complaint PM.

shafeec

Time cancelled public mobile and move to freedom

samako

For any chance of the complaint being taken seriously, they would need a copy of the PM/user agreement at the time of any individual's signing.

Since PM has now changed agreements for new users and made it difficult/impossible for old users to find their agreements, it would likely involve legal action to obtain the originals.

Irina_O

@J_PM wrote:

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

I am excited to provide your soon-to-be-ex-customers a link to submit a CCTS complaint on their way out.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/

I still remember that the last time that PM tried to pull a fast one and renege on their promises, the deluge of CCTS complaints resulted in the CEO posting a "we heard you loud and clear" capitulation message.

It would be nice if someone more articulate than myself posted a template of a complaint message for people to use.  I am pretty sure it is not against the TOS.

Lolo_1234

So many posts being deleted... Every time I upload the page, there are multiple new replies AND the total replies count gets lower... ! 

OldNicknameGone

I just did the complete comparison. I'm on a 40 per month plan, with full loyalty reward (5 per mth), the PAP reward (2 per mth) and two referrals (2 per mth), so I actually pay 31 plus tax a month (372 plus tax per year).

My PAP reward is gone completely, which is 24 per yr out of my pocket. My loyalty reward gets converted to the anniversary points, so my 60 per yr becomes 10 per yr, an increase of 50 per yr. My two referrals remain the same.

My new annual cost, before cash back, will be 446 per yr (an increase of 74 per yr). I then get 5 percent cash back on that, for 22.30 per year. Therefore, my new annual cost, even including cash back, will be 423.70, an increase of 51.70 per year. When you include the sales tax on the annual increase, I'll be out-of-pocket 58.42 per year because of this change (an additional 1.6 months worth of cost per year compared to my current pricing), with no increase in service. The numbers get even worse if my two referrals leave PM because of this.

Cnlola8322

Not Happy about this PM.  Not a good move.  250GB of free data for plans with unlimited data?.  Keep old reward program for loyal customers. 

Irina_O

@turkeyscanfly wrote:

Please someone show me how to file a CCTS Complaint. step by step. I am low skilled at computers.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/

Benfica71

What happens if you change to a 90 day plan now? How would the old rewards work then?

Soon-ex-PM-user

PM made to this website for the third time:

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/2024/03/11/public-mobile-users-protest-rewards-cut-ccts/

Personally I would be worried with future changes by PM.   They can easily eliminate $1 or 1 point per month for each referral or increase redemption to 2 points for $1 (instead of 1 for 1)

Lolo_1234

You're aware that mentioning a name or facts is not necessarily in every occurence advertising, right?

@computergeek541 wrote:

@public_999 wrote:

Wow, you guys are really working overtime removing posts!!

Members need to be aware that advertising for other companies is violation of the terms of service.

@Wolfcore wrote:

It's hilarious how we see most of the Oracles claiming that PM still has the best value even with the old rewards system being removed, while also removing any comments that showcase any of these competitors deals, while also saying that they're impartial, don't work for PM, and aren't protecting them 🤣

OldNicknameGone

No HTML, no links, just plain text. I used a lot of dollar signs and slashes (for per month and per year), but still all just text. Maybe my high IQ move is grab a screenshot before I refresh and attach it as an image.

Edit: we were at 1474 replies when I last looked, now we're 1463 - someone is cleaning up.

samako

Mods are deleting any comments regarding competition? Ruthless.... Goodbye

Need Help? Let's chat.