Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,401 REPLIES 5,401

@Wolfcore Our duties include keeping a clean forum.  A tag repeated 47 times is SPAM either way you look at it.  If it was the same message posted that many times it would be removed just as I move duplicate posts.

Remember this is PM's site they can actually do anything they wan't and could so many filters on the site that it wouldn't allow you to mention so many things that have been in this thread.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ily
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Customer: I would like to stay on old rewards system

Agent: If you would like to opt-out of the Public Points program entirely...

Unbelievable! smh

Nothing against Carol per se, she's probably just doing what she's told but come on PM. What is this?

hi @CalvinW 

I think couple members here broke it.  it is not supposed to be putting offensive words and so, some did it repeatly.  Also, those people are just Telus staff, it is not fair to attack them. 

We all dont like the old rewards system to go, but our lost of couple dollars a month should not be used as an excuse to disregard the limit for free speech.  

yes, some posts and tags I saw have gone too far

Zahir_h

The oracles are protecting their payday every month to troubleshoot/ damage control protect the image of PM

The removal of tags is also unjust.  As they were true, and gave us all a quick way to see how bad this announcement was so they removed the option to add tags.   They said it was spam, but anything which was being posted there was being removed. 

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm not talking about others. I'm only referring to you, as it was your action. You will not be losing your $20 reward (or other Oracle benefits), and your duties include actions that involve protecting PM. That's all we're saying. Spam is also highly subjective, and I'm sure if those tags were lovingly praising PM, they'd stick around much longer.

Btw, you're one of the more reasonable (and helpful) Oracles, and it's clear that you don't like this decision either, but you're still choosing to perform duties that benefit PM (and yourself) above all, and make them look better. That's just a factual statement, and there's really no ways around it. As a result, the community are the ones that are losing their voice in this matter.

ily

Why is the announcement post being edited? PM, I don't think the issue is in your writing style. It's the core subject, aka forcefully tacking an extra $4-$7 on everyone's monthly bill, that we're protesting. No matter how you phrase it, we just can't accept it. The only way out is complete reversal of this forced migration.

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Mapleleafer wrote:

This is the canned response I got from CS_Agent after I asked to remain on the old rewards system.  Needless to say I am filing at CCTS complaint, so are my two immediately family members, and then all the many people I referred who are on the old rewards system are going to as well.  Maybe Public will get the point for every CCTS complaint they have to pay for.  This decision was a bad one for their bottom line:

Re: I would like to stay on old rewards system

We understand that the old Rewards program was enjoyed by many of our loyal subscribers. Starting May 2024, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program.

These changes will impact existing customers that are not currently on the Public Points™ program. However, you are not required to make any plan change in your Public Mobile account.

If you would like to opt-out of the Public Points program entirely, you may do so with an agent, however you will forfeit any points you’ve earned up to this point (earned credits will remain) and will not be able to re-enroll in the program in the future. Opting out of Public Points does not keep you in the old Rewards program.

We genuinely value your commitment to our service, and while we are unable to modify the terms in this particular scenario, we’re here to explore the new Public Points program benefits.

You can use the following links to learn more about our new Public Points program:
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles?category=_articleCategory_rewards

Click here for 
Public Points™ Terms and Conditions

Let us know if there is something else we can help you with.

Thanks
Carol
Customer Support Agent

Wait, so either you can go have rewards or have no rewards.  B.S!!!

auk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just found an email of mine that says the following:

We want to emphasize that joining Public Points
is optional for all existing customers.
If you decide not to join, your current Rewards will remain the same.
You’ll continue to earn in the same ways, and save the same amount.

Can't believe that Public Mobile is hurting so much from my 10 calls a month, 25 texts a month, and ~400MB of data used per month that they need to charge me MORE.

Mapleleafer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is the canned response I got from CS_Agent after I asked to remain on the old rewards system.  Needless to say I am filing at CCTS complaint, so are my two immediately family members, and then all the many people I referred who are on the old rewards system are going to as well.  Maybe Public will get the point for every CCTS complaint they have to pay for.  This decision was a bad one for their bottom line:

Re: I would like to stay on old rewards system

We understand that the old Rewards program was enjoyed by many of our loyal subscribers. Starting May 2024, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program.

These changes will impact existing customers that are not currently on the Public Points™ program. However, you are not required to make any plan change in your Public Mobile account.

If you would like to opt-out of the Public Points program entirely, you may do so with an agent, however you will forfeit any points you’ve earned up to this point (earned credits will remain) and will not be able to re-enroll in the program in the future. Opting out of Public Points does not keep you in the old Rewards program.

We genuinely value your commitment to our service, and while we are unable to modify the terms in this particular scenario, we’re here to explore the new Public Points program benefits.

You can use the following links to learn more about our new Public Points program:
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles?category=_articleCategory_rewards

Click here for 
Public Points™ Terms and Conditions

Let us know if there is something else we can help you with.

Thanks
Carol
Customer Support Agent

fixin

@joe_df wrote:

I think this news should be shared publicly and as loudly as possible.

Go to MobileSyrup, CBC, CTV, Global, all of em. Maybe even the Vancouver Sun (Where Telus HQ city is located) and the Toronto Sun (Where Public Mobile and eastern Canada part of Telus resides.)

Zahir_h

It's already posted publicly on redflagdeals and on iphoneincanada.  Hoping this will gather some media attent to bring bad press to Telus/PM

joe_df

I think this news should be shared publicly and as loudly as possible.

Zahir_h

I believe they deserve to be financially penalized with CCTS fees.

I am sure they have worked out the financials to losing subscribers, and feel that they will be better off.  And likely many will not leave .. but I also believe that they have broken the trust with us, and I am ok paying the same amount (post change) or even slightly more (the $10/ year is nothing to keep me here) as I've already lost all my refer a friend's as soon as this announcement has come out.  

So hopefully everyone files a CCTS claim so that we can have some sort of payback to Telus in fees owed to CCTS!

fixin

@CalvinW wrote:

Why can't we tag now? It was all relevant tags. Is Public Mobile restricting our freedom of expression too?

You can use the Lounge to express your thoughts & others thoughts.

fixin

@Handy1 - It just suggests that you gather a contract with the provider.

Once you click start my complaint it will ask you for what phone provider are you using and then since it it'll show Public Mobile. And since PM has no contracts, they aren't going to ask for the contract.

It is only a warning for people who are on Local Carriers with a contract like Freedom, SaskTel, Eastlink, etc. and 2nd tier and 1st tier carriers like Telus, Koodo, etc. to provide the contract to have a high chance of winning the case.

auk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Wait, we were supposed to get an email? I just got a large amount of data suddenly that I have to spend within 5 months, which isn't ever going to happen because I don't really use my data all that much. I had no idea what it was for, and had to stumble upon this thread thanks to the nice people on Reddit, how am I supposed to complain about having my service that I've paying for years changed without my acknowledgment or consent?

ily

Here are the steps I'm taking in response to this horrific announcement:

1. Contact customer service expressing my deep dissatisfaction and asking to opt out of this forced migration. This is basically my attempt to resolve the issue with the provider, as per CCTS guidelines.
  2. Mark March 18th on my calendar: if the issue isn't resolved by then, I will file a CCTS complaint.
  3. Mark May 1st on my calendar: if I'm forced to the new points system, I will immediately port out!

Leela3

This is because it's just so bloody greasy and PM needs to be made clear on the subject.

Wolfcore

Their belief is that all of these people complaining about the announcement, aren't actually going to leave. They believe that they are false threats. And even if some do leave, they know that they have lots of wiggle room in terms of profit, because they'll be saving a ton of money by getting rid of this old program.

What I don't think they're truly respecting though, is the sheer amount of negativity this move will bring to their reputation, and how much it may cost them in terms of CCTS fees. Ultimately, between the people that do leave, the CCTS fees, and the destruction of their reputation, I personally believe it'll end up costing them far more than if they were to just grandfather these people in with the old system. I've seen brands destroyed over far less.

Zahir_h

Yes they are.  

Oracle @ShawnC13 removed the option to silence the truth 

@Wolfcore wrote:

You're not losing your $20 credit per month, as far as I know. You'll be affected in terms of other rewards, as will people you know, but that doesn't change anything I said. You're still continuing to do the tasks of the Oracles BECAUSE you're trying to protect your benefits. Which ultimately requires you to protect PM.

If not, why did you remove tags? The answer to this is all that matters.

@Wolfcore , The other community members who always participate are not losing those rewards either.  For all of my other lines this affects those  and most of them are maxed out at $7 a month so this is a big financial hit, but still the place that works best for us.

The tags were just spamming the community.  The same message over and over is spamming

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

CalvinW

Why can't we tag now? It was all relevant tags. Is Public Mobile restricting our freedom of expression too?

Yes it seems it one of the very firs things of 4 things to start the complaint 

Handy1_0-1710007827917.png

Leela3

Well said and thanks to the community for helping me troubleshoot over the years! I appreciate you all unlike PM.

Zahir_h

I too have not received any email communication.  Their post stated by March 8th.  As this time as passed, they did not comply with their duties to notify us. And as such we have a slim case to also leverage with CCTS.   

fixin

@Handy1 - Yes, most likely that.

There isn't one though with PM, but is it asking you for one? 

@fixin  Do I just send in a screen shot of my payment page . Where I find a service contract for the CCTS 

Leela3

They definitely would not be able to manage all of the calls   from furious folks tired of the ruthless greed we are experiencing in this country!

joe_df

Here's the actual info page if anyone whats to read about it:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/move-to-public-points

They boast that it will be "more rewarding" and it's to provide "the best possible value"...

A huge problem with this, is that I didn't even receive a proper email notice for this. Many users don't even use the forums, so they would never know till it's too late... This is a true lack of integrity. When they announced the new points system, I could not avoid seeing news about it. They sent so many emails and posted the announcement everywhere on the website...

Wolfcore

You're not losing your $20 credit per month, as far as I know. You'll be affected in terms of other rewards, as will people you know, but that doesn't change anything I said. You're still continuing to do the tasks of the Oracles BECAUSE you're trying to protect your benefits. Which ultimately requires you to protect PM.

If not, why did you remove tags? The answer to this is all that matters.

Need Help? Let's chat.