cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Until January 1 - Get a $25 Credit for You and Your Friend by Referring them to Public Mobile

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

*This offer has been extended to January 1, 2019.

*This offer is online-only.

*Online SIM delivery may be longer than usual until Canada Post rotating strike has ended. For the time being, we recommend you pick up a SIM by visiting one of our retail partners. To find your nearest participating retail partner, click here.

Hey Community,

From November 15th, 2018 until January 1st, 2019, you and your friend can each get a $25 credit when you refer them to Public Mobile and they activate online.

Get the full scoop below.

Taking advantage of this promo is easy. Just follow these steps:

As a Public Mobile customer you need to:

1. Be a good pal and refer a friend to Public Mobile.
  2. Tell your friend that they need to successfully activate online on a 30 or 90-day plan during the promotional period and include you as their referrer in order to be eligible for the promotion.
  3. The one-time $25 credit will be applied to your Self-Serve account within 72 hours of your friend’s online activation. In addition, you will continue to be eligible for the $1 referral credit off your monthly bill for as long as your friend stays with Public Mobile.

Your friend will need to:

1. Activate a Public Mobile SIM card online on any 30 or 90-day plan at activate.publicmobile.ca.
  2. Enter your active Public Mobile phone number on the referral page during the activation process. Be sure they enter your number and not their own so you get credit for the referral.
  3. The one-time $25 credit will be applied to their Self-Serve account within 72 hours of activation.

FAQs and terms and conditions are below. Happy referring!

-Public Mobile Community team

FAQs:

Spoiler

Refer a Friend Promotion FAQs

1. If I am referred and then I refer a friend or family member am I eligible for both sender and receiver rewards?
    Yes, you are. This means that you would receive one $25 credit for being referred. Then, after activating with Public Mobile, you are eligible to take part in this promotion as a referral sender and earn $25 Refer-a-Friend credits during the promotional period. Learn more here.
  2. I am a Legacy customer. Am I eligible for these rewards?
    Legacy customers are not eligible for rewards. However, Legacy customers’ referrals are eligible for this offer, and can receive a one-time $25 account credit.
    To learn more about Reward eligibility and Rewards,visit publicmobile.ca/rewardrules . If you would like to take advantage of this promotional offer, our support team can help you switch your plan to one that is currently available.
  3. As the referral receiver, am I eligible for the ongoing $10 Refer a Friend Reward credit, as well as this $25 Refer a Friend credit?
    No, these credits are not stackable. Instead, you will receive a total of $25 via an account credit, rather than the ongoing $10 Refer-a-Friend Reward credit.
  4. When does this promotion end?
    This promotion will end January 1, 2019 11:59PM ET.

Terms and Conditions

Referral sender (current Public Mobile customer)

• All existing Refer a Friend eligibility requirements and rules apply. To learn more, visit publicmobile.ca/rewardrules.
    • While Legacy customers are not eligible for Public Mobile Refer a Friend rewards, Legacy customers’ referrals are eligible for this offer, and can receive a one-time $25 account credit.
    • You and your referee have to accept these terms to participate in the program.
    • You can only refer individuals with whom you have a personal or family relationship to ensure compliance with Canada's anti-spam legislation.  
    • You can’t refer yourself or an existing Public Mobile customer.
    • TELUS team members, contractors, sales representatives acting on TELUS's behalf and associates at retail locations who receive special pricing are excluded from this promotion.

Referral receiver (your friend)

• Must activate on a 30 or 90-day plan with Public Mobile.
    • You must input the referral information (referrer’s Public Mobile phone number) during your activation.
    • You and your referrer have to accept these terms to participate in the program.
    • After activating with Public Mobile, you are eligible to take part in this promotion as a referral sender.

OTHER

TELUS assumes no responsibility for lost, delayed, damaged or misdirected referrals or communications or for any failure of the website, for any problems or technical malfunction of any computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or referral to be received by TELUS on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to your (or any other person's) computer related to or resulting from this program. TELUS reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this program should a virus, bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of TELUS, corrupt the security or proper administration of the program or for any other reason. Referrals are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are illegible, unintelligible, falsified, altered or tampered with or unlawful in any way. Referrals submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that a referral has been made in a manner not sanctioned by these terms, you and all of you referrals will be disqualified from this program and any referral credits that have been awarded will be deducted. You agree to abide by the terms of this program and the decisions of the TELUS team, which are final. This program is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.

TELUS may end the promotion or change any of the terms at any time, without notice and without obligation to award any promotion.

PRIVACY

Your privacy is important to TELUS. We have a long-standing policy of protecting the privacy of our customers in all of our business operations. Please visit telus.com/privacy for more information on the principles that govern the collection, use and disclosure of personal information. These principles reflect our continuing commitment to protecting our customers' privacy.

343 REPLIES 343

Bodereck
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

OK that's fine. .as long as 1 of us got something. .thanks for your time 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bodereck wrote:

Yes she said the person at the store did...because he asked my friend if anyone refered her and she said yes and gave him my name and number  and email address. But I checked my email address and there's nothing like that in the inbox. ? 

She will get $10 referral credit for In-store activation (not $25).  You will get $1/30days cycle as long as her account is active.  But there is no one time referral credit for you unfortunately. 

shartomjam
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Bodereck wrote:

Yes she said the person at the store did...because he asked my friend if anyone refered her and she said yes and gave him my name and number  and email address. But I checked my email address and there's nothing like that in the inbox. ? 

She activated at a store.  Neither of you will get the $25 refer a friend promo.  It had to be online at home.  Sorry.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bodereck wrote:

Hello my name is Dereck M Paul and I didn't get the  $25 credit for referring a friend. ? I'm wondering what happened to it. . ? 

Login to your account.  

Is your referral count went up by one?

If yes, your friend entered your phone number correctly.  Now, if your friend activate in-store, your will not get $25 credit.  This promo is for online activation only. But you will continue to get $1/30days cycle.

Bodereck

Smlannigan

Hi did the friend register online and include your phone number for the referral?

Bodereck

Hello my name is Dereck M Paul and I didn't get the  $25 credit for referring a friend. ? I'm wondering what happened to it. . ? 

@fanfan wrote:

Just an update for others who may be in similar situations. I referred 3 new users and all were persuaded to activate in-store by salesperson as opposed to letting them just buy the sim and walk out. After 2 weeks of messaging moderators I was turned down on getting the $25/$25 referral offer. 

As a result, all 3 removed autopay, then removed their credit card on file, then changed their username to ???@???.com, and then cut up their SIM card.  Although they will most likely now sign up with Koodo, their dissatisfaction with PM left a very bitter experience.

Thanks for sharing...PM ( @Alan_K@Brooke_C, etc), are you paying attention and noticing this?  This is what I am talking about just above... PM could do well by extending good will and gain loyal customers by "making it right". A customer with a problem that gets solved properly is a better customer and a good candidate for long term loyalty and a potential word of mouth advertiser ... "PM will take care of you".

Think about it!

fanfan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just an update for others who may be in similar situations. I referred 3 new users and all were persuaded to activate in-store by salesperson as opposed to letting them just buy the sim and walk out. After 2 weeks of messaging moderators I was turned down on getting the $25/$25 referral offer. 

As a result, all 3 removed autopay, then removed their credit card on file, then changed their username to ???@???.com, and then cut up their SIM card.  Although they will most likely now sign up with Koodo, their dissatisfaction with PM left a very bitter experience.

to both @Anonymous and @stonechucker

first we have to recognize that there is no perfect system. And we certainly will not be able to fix any of the problems.

The price protection idea may be a good one. Many businesses use this. As for the issue of abuse, you have to recognize that relatively fewer people will be abusers. And also few will be bothered to come back to get that extra credit they feel they lost. 

But there is something about customer loyalty that is very powerful and often can outweigh the costs of a few abusers...because most cases will be legitimate...And  what of the abusers? PM would still gain an ongoing customer....this is one area where the benefits can far outweigh the risks. ..Just my thoughts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pm-smayer97 wrote:
After all, if the customer knows about the promo that led them to the store in the first place, the original advertising drew them in.

But there's no way to really know that is there?

I only heard about Public Mobile from some news article that mentioned them as another Telus property. I got to the site and saw the rates and said sign me up. Ran out and bought a SIM, brought it home, did all the sign-up, done.

It was only afterwards that I read about promos once I got into the community.

So a customer DOES know about promos. But what if they're just not very techy and can't be bothered to figure out how to do everything online and goes to a store and gets all going and THEN asks. I don't think that's right.

As I said after I signed up, I think there should be something like a 30 day price protection. Not competitive price matching. Something comes along from PM and you've just joined and "oh well hey I'd rather do that". Inside of that first pre-paid term. I think that would be reasonable.

But I think coming back for the ask is open to abuse. Come on. If you can't be bothered to or just aren't confident of your online skills then you shouldn't be able to ask for it afterwards. Especially something so fundamental as in-store or online.

Then there's the retailers....:)

@pm-smayer97, but why fix a problem with credit for an improper activation, when the person selling in-store isn't actually selling the card?  Fix the distribution model, by getting rid of third-party vendors, and put the cards in Telus owned/rented/leased spaces so it can be done correctly in the first place?

@lonegreyride wrote:

So, I'm new to the forum, and I can see that this issue of rewards being only available via online vs in-store activations is coming up quite regularly. I'm sure all the regular forum users are getting tired of this and look down on confused newcomers at least a little.

I just think that quite a lot of these issues could be solved very simply. When Public Mobile sends out the text with the offer, just put "(not in-store)" after "online". I know it's specifically stated, but one word is easy to gloss over. Also, as I've pointed out in what happened to me, when you go to Walmart for example, you'll see them type in activate.publicmobile.ca, which made me think it was the same as online.

Call me stupid, and I still know missing out on this offer is on me, but if PM really does want to help more people, those few characters could go a long way IMO.

Personally, I think that if PM really wants to see their business grow even more exponentially (not that their business is not growing, it is), they would credit users that ask, which have been duped/misled, or whatever you want to call it. After all, if the customer knows about the promo that led them to the store in the first place, the original advertising drew them in. So good customer service would recognize and acknowledge that and do somehting about it. This would create much stronger brand loyalty. And word of mouth is a very powerful form of advertising. Just MHO.

lonegreyride

@Anonymous wrote:

@

@

@

I agree with your suggestion. Anything to make things less ambiguous. I don't like the word "next" on the free month promo. I suspect that in marketing, one doesn't want to say the negative ie. "not" in-store. The positive side is "online". But I don't get paid to do marketing so what do I know 🙂

The rest of my post was my curiosity asking you what all you saw them do.

Ah, thought you were just being sarcastic lol. The guy did sign into a portal first, which was what I thought back on when I came home and started to figure out what had happened. It dawned on me pretty quickly at that point that whatever he signed into first allowed it to be tracked as an in-store sign-up.

And I know what you mean about the negative language. Maybe even preceed the text with "Online-only offer:..."? Something like that, I just think the way this offer was worded in the text I received, while explicit, still leaves the most room for confusion. We all screw up sometimes lol.

As the current subscriber, referring your friend(s) and family, you should be along for the ride, and insisting that your referee only purchases the SIM card.  Do not let them be refused by the store clerk.

Yes, Public Mobile should REMIND all vendors they are supposed to sell the SIM card when asked to do so.  The clerk is there to serve the customer, not persuade them to go a different route.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lonegreyride wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@lonegreyride wrote:

So, I'm new to the forum, and I can see that this issue of rewards being only available via online vs in-store activations is coming up quite regularly. I'm sure all the regular forum users are getting tired of this and look down on confused newcomers at least a little.

I just think that quite a lot of these issues could be solved very simply. When Public Mobile sends out the text with the offer, just put "(not in-store)" after "online". I know it's specifically stated, but one word is easy to gloss over. Also, as I've pointed out in what happened to me, when you go to Walmart for example, you'll see them type in activate.publicmobile.ca, which made me think it was the same as online.

Call me stupid, and I still know missing out on this offer is on me, but if PM really does want to help more people, those few characters could go a long way IMO.

The in-store activations are motivated by money. Why would they help you not give them money?

So you saw them specifically go on the online activation page eh? Did they log in to anything or was it all the same interface? If so then that would prove that there's some back side method of knowing that the activation came from a store (like an ip address). If they logged into something then that would be better.

It's alleged that even using store wifi that that would detect that the activation came from the store.

Not trying to argue. Like I said, I know the mistake is mine. I'm just saying that if Public Mobile wants to have less of this confusion, it's easy. I stand by my suggestion, I think it would decrease the number of confused newcomers.

I agree with your suggestion. Anything to make things less ambiguous. I don't like the word "next" on the free month promo. I suspect that in marketing, one doesn't want to say the negative ie. "not" in-store. The positive side is "online". But I don't get paid to do marketing so what do I know 🙂

The rest of my post was my curiosity asking you what all you saw them do.

lonegreyride

@Anonymous wrote:

@lonegreyride wrote:

The in-store activations are motivated by money. Why would they help you not give them money?

So you saw them specifically go on the online activation page eh? Did they log in to anything or was it all the same interface? If so then that would prove that there's some back side method of knowing that the activation came from a store (like an ip address). If they logged into something then that would be better.

It's alleged that even using store wifi that that would detect that the activation came from the store.

Not trying to argue. Like I said, I know the mistake is mine. I'm just saying that if Public Mobile wants to have less of this confusion, it's easy. I stand by my suggestion, I think it would decrease the number of confused newcomers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lonegreyride wrote:

lonegreyride

@Aimie wrote:

I referred a friend 3 days ago and I received a text on my phone from public mobile saying, congratulations! You have successfully referred a friend. If on a rewards-eligible plan, see the rewards tab in your Self Serve account. I checked and I don't have any referrale points. I was hoping that I would see -$25 on my bill, but I don't. I only see $2 rewards for being on an auto plan. Can anyone tell me how I recieve this referal offer and how do I qualify for a rewards eligible plan. Many thanks! Aimie

Did your friend activate online at home or in a retail location.  The $25 is only for at home activations.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Smlannigan

The friend that referred you has to register online, if they registered in store you will not get the $25 credit.

markb

i had the $1 show up first,  and about 1 week later the $25 showed up..     

@Aimie wrote:

I referred a friend 3 days ago and I received a text on my phone from public mobile saying, congratulations! You have successfully referred a friend. If on a rewards-eligible plan, see the rewards tab in your Self Serve account. I checked and I don't have any referrale points. I was hoping that I would see -$25 on my bill, but I don't. I only see $2 rewards for being on an auto plan. Can anyone tell me how I recieve this referal offer and how do I qualify for a rewards eligible plan. Many thanks! Aimie

Aimie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@smp99, this is not strictly correct - the Moderator_Team can now add a friend referral after activation, so @EMcG, you can send your phone number, account number and PIN to the mod_team via private message to get this addressed, but you may not receive the full $25/$25 reward as you activated in-store, but the regular $1 mo/$10 friend reward will apply.

smp99

@EMcG wrote:

Signed up through Walmart and they never asked if I had been referred by anyone. Looking to add it.

Sorry, too late. You need to enter the referral number during signup/activation. Also this promo requires activation at home, not in store. 

Smlannigan

You have to sign up yourself online to get the $25 credit

EMcG

Signed up through Walmart and they never asked if I had been referred by anyone. Looking to add it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EMcG wrote:

How do I get in touch with a mod?

Like the above post...what's goin' on? What do you think you need them for? Maybe the helpful folks here can get you sorted. Or we'll just send you there anyway 🙂

Carld123

@EMcG

Try here first..what issue are you having. ?

EMcG

How do I get in touch with a mod?

Need Help? Let's chat.