cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Public Mobile response to COVID-19

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of May 1, 2020: This offer (US Roaming Credit Back) is now expired.

Update as of March 31, 2020: As of April 1st, online SIM purchases will no longer be discounted and will return to their regular price of $10. 

Update as of March 26, 2020: The $5 discount for online SIM purchases will only be available on purchases through publicmobile.ca. Please note that Amazon deliveries may be significantly delayed due to COVID-19. Make sure to check your estimated delivery date before ordering through Amazon.

Hey Community,

At Public Mobile, the health and safety of our customers, team members, and partners are paramount to us. That’s why, with COVID-19 concerns top of mind and rising uncertainty surrounding the extent of disruptions to day-to-day activities for our customers, we will be committing to make it stress-free to stay connected with friends & family. How are we doing that?

US Roaming credit-back

Public Mobile will be crediting back the full cost of US Roaming Add-Ons as account credits.

• Eligible customers: Customers who have purchased and used any US Roaming Add-On from March 13 to April 30th, 2020. Note that usage of a US Roaming Add-On is mandatory.
  • Account credit will be applied to accounts within 7 business days of usage, beginning March 23. No action is required. Customers will receive a SMS when credit is applied.

$5 off SIM card when you buy online

During this challenging period, we want to ensure that our customers are staying as safe as possible and purchasing SIM cards online, if you need to. 

• For a limited time starting from March 20th, get $5 off when purchasing a SIM card online from us via Amazon or Publicmobile.ca.
  • No promo code necessary.

Any changes or updates to these items will be shared on this page. We encourage you to view further details on what we’re doing to help keep you safe and connected by visiting this help article for more information.

We thank you for being a Public Mobile customer, and hope that this helps make things easier during this difficult time. 

Thanks,

-Public Mobile Community Team

296 REPLIES 296

nguifombeoh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wonderful efforts.  Is there any discount or more data promotion since we are now stocked at home. The internet is a useful resource now but limited data

nguifombeoh

Good job

nguifombeoh

Great. Thanks for the consideration 

@Jonavin 

I tend to think yeah I would be fine with the extra low speed data as better than nothing if I ever ran out of plan data. But I also know that there is a point where things dont just load slower but time outs start happening and nothing loads and then even getting back to where you were previously is going to be a time consuming ordeal.

AE_Collector

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It’s enough for texting apps like whatsapp or email. If you run out of data it’s nice to know you can still use this. It’s practical for browsing most web sites but it has uses.

Lucky... 128kbps/64kbps (download/upload)

Chatr... 64kbps/64kbps

Freedom... 128kbps/64kbps 3G (only in Freedom Zones), 256kbps/128kbps LTE (only in Freedom Zones)

Telus, Bell, Rogers... 256kbps/256kbps (most areas) or 512kbps/256kbps (some areas)

SaskTel... 2000kbps/512kbps

Koodo, Virgin, Fido, Public, Ice... no "unlimited" or "endless" or "infinite" data

Don't expect PM to offer unlimited data before Koodo does.

Don't expect PM to exceed the unlimited data rates offered by Telus. Or even the unlimited data rates offered by Lucky.

So if PM added unlimited "Really Throttled Data" to their limited "Throttled Data" it might be 128 Kb? Lots of fun!

@AE_Collector yeah they bring it to like 500kbs which is really slow....

The big guys hang up seems to be around the 10G mark...

Screenshot_20200419_204231.jpg

Many of the big guys and some others had added "unlimited data" to their plans recently BUT before Covid really started. This unlimited data is unlimited throttled data, not full speed. Other than this I dont know If any Covid related unlimited data has been granted.

AE_Collector

II agree @LinneaMantha PM should do a little more ie another free 1 gig of data and 400 international minutes like the holiday bonus.  My dad got 2 gigs of additional data too from Freedom. But like him , I would venture to say they are all on postpaid plans. Not prepaid like PM.

LinneaMantha
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have friends with Roger's, telus and virgin mobile that have all been granted unlimited data on their cell phones for the duration of the #stayathome order.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Anonymous...........tic........................toc

😷

Are you hinting that I need a mint while reading the table of contents? 🙂

But I don't get it. gblackma is almost always fastest these days. I said other things. Not really quite a ninja.

@Anonymous...........tic........................toc

😷

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BENOIT39 wrote:

Hello I need help my phone says no service but my bill is paid.

When you log in to your self-serve does it say Active? Or calling 611 does it ask for money right away?

What kind of phone do you have?

@BENOIT39 what's the make and model of your phone?   Thanks. Try a network reset and restart your phone. Let us know if this doesn't work. Stay safe. 

BENOIT39

Hello I need help my phone says no service but my bill is paid.

@LinneaMantha  Other canadian companies waving data limits are for home internet and some business customers. Mobile companies have mostly waived roaming and long distance charges within Canada. Public mobile doesn't need to do this because they don't charge for long distance  or roaming within Canada on current plans. They are crediting back US roaming packages.

LinneaMantha

While this is great. Why are you one of the only companies not offering unlimited data during this time? Being stuck at home alone would be a lot easier if I could atleast stay in touch with my friends and family.

@callmequin wrote:

I ordered a sim card on march 22

Canada Post Xpresspost (expect delivery in 3 to 7 business days)

It still has not arrived 23 days later

While the website says Canada Post Xpresspost, Public Mobile doesn't always ship by that method.Sometimes, they ship it as regular letter. If that is done, the shipment will not be trackable.  That can cause delivery to take longer than standard Xpresspost transit times. Canada Post might also be running at reduced capacity is some locations which could cause things to take longer. I will say that since you ordered on March 22, you should have the sim card by now.

The amount of time spent trying to figure out where the original sim card went probably won't be looked into. I would imagine that that a moderator would probably want to double check the address with you and would likely just send a replacement, but that's up to them.

@callmequin the order number on the pm shipping is your Canada post tracking number. You can cjeck to see where it is. If it's lost, contact the moderators directly through private message here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Ask them for replacement SIMS.

Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

Stay safe 

@callmequin  Did you receive an email with an order number? If yes, then submit a ticket to PM and include the order number and ask them to investigate.

To submit a ticket to the Moderator Team, please start a conversation with the Public's virtual assistant, SIMon by clicking  here or the icon (bottom right of your screen).

s.JPG

If you are still having problems contacting Public Mobile then click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

@callmequin wrote:

I would contact a moderator to see what the problem is with the delivery:

Please use the chatbot  SIMon to help you solve your issue. If SIMon cannot solve  your issue then you have the option to contact a moderator.

Step 1: Choose the ? button at the right bottom corner of this page or choose “Get Help” at the top of the page and then choose the “Chat with SIMon” button.

Step 2: Tell SIMon what the issue is and see if he can find a solution for you.

Step 3: If Simon cannot find a solution then type in “moderator” to connect to a Public Mobile customer service representative.

Step 4:  Simon will present you with two choices. Choose “Account-specific question”

Step 5: Then choose “No, I want a human”

Step 6:  Create your ticket

Check the sent folder to make sure your ticket was sent (envelope icon, top right) and the inbox for a reply from the moderators.

“To ensure the safety of our team members during the COVID-19 pandemic, our Moderator team is working at reduced levels. During this time, you may experience longer than normal wait times when contacting our Moderator team for help.”

Moderators are available:

Monday to Friday from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time.

Saturday and Sunday from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time

callmequin

r_chehade

Thank you Public Mobile. I'm happy to have switched with you. I get so much more for so much less. Also, with this crisis going out, you're still generous enough give more back.

Thank you again.

R

@John12 wrote:

Hi there,

I am stranded out side canada due to COVID-19.  Can I kerp my number on hold? Thanks 

Use the chatbot SIMon to contact a moderator to explain your situation due to Covid. They have accommodated several customers with different situations due to the pandemic. They maybe able to grant you an extension on your plan.

Please use the chatbot  SIMon to help you solve your issue. If SIMon cannot solve  your issue then you have the option to contact a moderator.

Step 1: Choose the ? button at the right bottom corner of this page or choose “Get Help” at the top of the page and then choose the “Chat with SIMon” button.

Step 2: Tell SIMon what the issue is and see if he can find a solution for you.

Step 2: If Simon cannot find a solution then type in “moderator” to connect to a Public Mobile customer service representative.

Step 3: Simon will present you with two choices. Choose “Account-specific question”

Step 4: Then choose “No, I want a human”

Step 5: Create your ticket

Check the sent folder to make sure your ticket was sent (envelope icon, top right) and the inbox for a reply from the moderators.

“To ensure the safety of our team members during the COVID-19 pandemic, our Moderator team is working at reduced levels. During this time, you may experience longer than normal wait times when contacting our Moderator team for help.”

Moderators are available:

Monday to Friday from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time.

Saturday and Sunday from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time

@John12, I strongly suggest getting the cheapest plan as possible which is the $15 a month. Then let it sit there for about 10 weeks or 80 days, and then re-activate the plan, and repeat the process. 

If you decide to keep the plan inactive after 90-days, you will lose your phone number, and you will need to get a new number and do the process again. If the phone number isn't a big deal, I would cancel the plan altogether. But, if the phone number is a bit like a family heirloom and you had this number for so long, you do what you have to do to keep it. 

If your suspended plan and number are worth keeping then it seems unwise to wait until day 89 of 90.

Self-Serve is sometimes cantankerous or malfunctional. Mods usually need a couple days to respond under the best circumstances.

If you leave it until the last day(s) and there's any "unexpected" problem which delays it past the limit then you lose anyways.

If you think you will be out of the country for awhile, switch down to the lowest price ($15) plan for your next renewal. You can schedule it now to automatically happen at your next renewal. or remove payment method so it fails to renew but if you leave it for more than 90 days it will be closed. Then you need a new sim to start over and Lise your number as well as any rewards you gave for loyalty or referrals. If approaching the 90 days simply make a payment and reactivate for 30 days then you have another 90 days after that expires.

AE_Collector

@John12 wrote:

Hi there,

I am stranded out side canada due to COVID-19.  Can I kerp my number on hold? Thanks 

Without autopay activated...as soon as your most current plan expires...you have 89 days to renew it. At day 90, your suspended account will close for good...you'd need to start over with a new sim.

@John12  first off that's terrible! where are you stranded? Maybe we can make a call into our MP's office to get you home!

Secondly, I think if you just cancel your service right now you can sign up again. I wouldn't let it go delinquent. 

Need Help? Let's chat.