cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Get 6 GB at 3G speeds for $45! OR Get 8 GB at 3G speeds for $50!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of October 16, 2018: These plans are now expired.

Update: Effective September 4th, 2018, the $50 for 8 GB at 3G speed plan includes Unlimited Talk to Canada-wide and the U.S. See FAQ for details.

Hey Community,

Now, for a limited time only, get 6 GB at 3G speed for $45 or get 8 GB at 3G speed for $50!

Plan details:

$45 for 6 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 6 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

$50 for 8 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 8 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Talk to Canada-wide and the U.S.
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$45 for 6 GB of data at 3G speed” or select “$50 for 8 GB of data at 3G speed”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$45 for 6 GB of data at 3G speed” or select “$50 for 8 GB of data at 3G speed”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happened to the previous “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan?

This plan has been expired and is no longer available in our Self-Serve and activation portals. If you’re currently on the “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan, and would like to stay on this plan, no change is required.

I already purchased the previous “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan. Will my data limit automatically change to 6 GB?

No, the data limit will not update automatically as these are two distinct plans. That said, if you want to change to the $45 for 6 GB plan, you can do so in Self-Serve and the plan will change on your next renewal date.

I chose to switch to the “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” on my next renewal date. What will happen?

If you have changed your plan to the $45 for 5.5 GB plan and choose not to make any changes now, on your next renewal date, you will have the “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan. Your plan will not automatically update to the new “$45 for 6 GB at 3G speed” plan.

What happens if these plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$45 for 6 GB of data at 3G speed“ or to “$50 for 8 GB of data at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to the selected plan even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

I already purchased the previous “$50 for 8 GB at 3G speed” plan. Will my plan automatically update to include Unlimited Talk to the U.S.?

No, it will not update automatically as these are two distinct plans. That said, if you want to change to the new $50 for 8 GB plan, you can do so in Self-Serve and the plan will change on your next renewal date.

231 REPLIES 231

jace829
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes, the throttled LTE is fast enough for what I need to do.

MrMonk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Personally I would welcome the $30 offer being lowered to $25, unlimited text and talk with 500mb of data. I pretty much use data on wifi, but for those times when i’m Out and about the cellular data could come in handy from time to time.

Shapla001

despite people speculating about the speed, I get same spped as that of Koodo which is LTE, good plan indeed

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@planeshift wrote:

You cant get Freedom data here in Saskatchewan 😞 Here in Sk public is the only way to go-- Sasktel towers!!

At least with Public around, you aren't being made to go for a big 3 where it gets very expensive.

HeatherHowe

Public Mobile IS a great way to go.   They offer excellent plans...something for everyone!  $50 8gb. Great deals!

planeshift

You cant get Freedom data here in Saskatchewan 😞 Here in Sk public is the only way to go-- Sasktel towers!!

@kuyakubaga, historically, there has not been an immediate change to plans at the end of the first pre-pay cycle.  Not saying it couldn't happen, but you should be good for at least a year.  I'm currently on a plan from the Fall 2016 Promo, still paying the original price, however in March of 2018, they wanted to increase the price - major backlash eliminated that increase.

@kuyakubaga wrote:

Does anyone know if we get charged another rate when plan price changes ?

Just like any other cellular provider Public Mobile can increase pricing with 30 days of notice.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

kuyakubaga
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does anyone know if we get charged another rate when plan price changes ?

tamzid1999

@will13am wrote:

I gave a bravo to the OP on the principle that it is always good to see promos even if it is not a great offer.  It is the nature of the beast, sometimes the offers are great, sometimes not so much.  Seeing that this is a low cost alternative, the hot promo would be something of a lower price, say $25/1.5GB, $30/2.5GB or $35/3.5GB which fits nicely with the current $40/4.5GB deal.  Is there any job openings at Public Mobile marketing department?  Smiley Very Happy

30$ for 2.5GB at 3G speed would make me happy. 🙂  ... even 30$ for 2GB would make me want come back to Public Mobile from Koodo. 

bakayaroh

my other line is zoomer 6 month loyalty plan

36 per month

4 gigs of lte data

unlim canadawide calling

unlim global texting

voicemail etc

s92mauwaterloo

Thank you, computergreek541, for your advice. And yes, I will consult Fido customer service. Will update about what I get as a result in support of anyone else who reads this post chain.

@s92mauwaterloo wrote:

Thank you, computergreek541. I just tried my Fido SIM card and it now appeared No Service. However, when I logged into my Fido account, the bill is still there and the due date is Oct 2nd, 2018. Although it is just a billing display on the mobile app, I am afraid that they will still charge me on the due date from my credit card. How can I avoid this? Or, I am actually overthinking because I am not with Fido anymore and Fido will not charge me in the future? But the billing display is really confusing since I was imaging upon the transferring got finished, the billing should disappear. Last but not least, thank you for the patience of staying with me.

If your Fido service is no longer working, that would mean that your phone number has transfered to Public Mobile. Make sure of this by calling your cell phone number.  If your phone rings when you have your Public Mobile sim card inside the phone, you are good to go.

As for receiving a bill from Fido, of course you are receiving one.  You are still responsible for paying your Fido bill for any charges up until the point that you transfered out.  The final bill is Fido way of closing out the account by charging you for anyting that you owe. 

If you are on preauthorized billing, Fido will charge you for whatever amount it says on that bill.  If the bill was generated recently by Fido, they would have charged you for another full month.  This is not avoidable. This is the way postpaid billing works. Since you have ported out, Fido will owe you a credit on the next bill because you probably didn't use up another full month.  Because of that, you may receive another bill with a negative balance.  if this happen, this will mean that they will owe you a refund.  As for questions about your Fido bill, you are best to ask Fido customer service about that.

s92mauwaterloo

Thank you, computergreek541. I just tried my Fido SIM card and it now appeared No Service. However, when I logged into my Fido account, the bill is still there and the due date is Oct 2nd, 2018. Although it is just a billing display on the mobile app, I am afraid that they will still charge me on the due date from my credit card. How can I avoid this? Or, I am actually overthinking because I am not with Fido anymore and Fido will not charge me in the future? But the billing display is really confusing since I was imaging upon the transferring got finished, the billing should disappear. Last but not least, thank you for the patience of staying with me.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@smp99 wrote:

Nice.

I'm waiting for $35 4GB  - just a suggestion

Well there may be hope yet - Zoomer is now offering 4GB (2+2 bonus) for customers on the $36 plan.

There is a contract there for new customers and overage charges do exist, so not for me, but the price point is almost there.

jclaydon2018

i for one don't mind the current options, my only concern is once i sign up for a certain plan, and it is no longer offered to new customers, do i get to keep that plan as long as i keep paying for it.

I am more about the long term.  If i stay long enough *and currently i don't see why not, the help you get around here is pretty good* i should be able to earn enough rewards to cut my 4.5G plan down to $30/month  which would make me an EXTREMELY happy camper *assuming it doesn't go away before then*

-James

@s92mauwaterloo wrote:

Thank you, computergeek541. Now I have another weird problem to deal with. So, I just activated and successfully ported my old number into my Public Mobile account. Upon testing, I am now pretty sure that it is with PM as the network provider. However, I can still use my Fido SIM card to do whatever it was able to do. The situation now is that I have the same phone number with dual network provider! I don't want to be charged twice because of this. Can you please rescue me? Thank you so much! Anyone who knows how to deal with this is welcomed to say something. I just want to end my relationship with Fido! But how... T.T By the way, the issue is happening now and the time now is 12:52 am, Sep 11th, 2018.

Quite simply, this means that your number has not transfered to Public Mobile. The fact that your original number shows on  the other end means nothing about the status of the number transfer.  That is just how Public Mobile does it.  All incoming calls.will continue to go to your Fido serrvice, at least for now, and Fido will continue to charge you.

If it's been more than a few.hours, your number portability request has failed.  Make sure  you have your Fido account number available and then contact Moderator_Team to have them try again for you.

Jasinda-lee

I agree...i kinda felt miss led when 2 days after switching from chatr phone provider to Public mobile because i was blown away at the amazing pre paid plans they were offering... i thought to myself only an idiot would pass that up; so with no hesitation i became i new public mobile cutomer😁  i was so proud of my new service and all the amazing perks that came with my prepaid plan that i was telling everyone i knew to switch to Public mobile before i even knew anything about the rewards "referring a Friend" perk which is really sweet by the way....all the ways to earn $$ off your bill is the saving grace at this point ...because as i was mentioning at the beginning before i got lost in a ramble is 2 days after i was an active public mobile customer i get this text message with an even better and cheaper prepaid plan...6G data and all the other bells and whistles my new plan has but it was an extra 1.5G of data and that does go a long way considering an add-on for 1G of data is $30😲😣😖  so getting an extra 1.5 G of data for no cost difference of what i am able to afford in my budget has had my thoughts going up and down the a seasaw and back and forth as is if my brain was pacing within my head. Since that text message promotion with  better plan rates and a way more 💥💥💥 For your 💲💲 and way more of the Awww factor!  Since that day these exact words run through my head

"uuuoooo...ahhhhhaah...wwwoooww... i think i wanna switch 👣👣to Koodoo's cause i can kadoodle way more with Koodoo's for even CHEAPER 💲💲PRICE!😃😛🤑🤑💱💱🎉?  

Maybe Public mobile will match them ...?? Probably not...lol...so i will probably switching to Koodoo's

Jasinda-lee

I agree...i kinda felt miss led when 2 days after switching from chatr phone provider to Public mobile because i was blown away at the amazing pre paid plans they were offering... i thought to myself only an idiot would pass that up; so with no hesitation i became i new public mobile cutomer😁  i was so proud of my new service and all the amazing perks that came with my prepaid plan that i was telling everyone i knew to switch to Public mobile before i even knew anything about the rewards "referring a Friend" perk which is really sweet by the way....all the ways to earn $$ off your bill is the saving grace at this point ...because as i was mentioning at the beginning before i got lost in a ramble is 2 days after i was an active public mobile customer i get this text message with an even better and cheaper prepaid plan...6G data and all the other bells and whistles my new plan has but it was an extra 1.5G of data and that does go a long way considering an add-on for 1G of data is $30😲😣😖  so getting an extra 1.5 G of data for no cost difference of what i am able to afford in my budget has had my thoughts going up and down the a seasaw and back and forth as is if my brain was pacing within my head. Since that text message promotion with  better plan rates and a way more uuuoooo...ahhhhhaah...wwwoooww i think i wanna switch to Koodoo's cause i can kadoodle way more with Ko

s92mauwaterloo

Thank you, computergeek541. Now I have another weird problem to deal with. So, I just activated and successfully ported my old number into my Public Mobile account. Upon testing, I am now pretty sure that it is with PM as the network provider. However, I can still use my Fido SIM card to do whatever it was able to do. The situation now is that I have the same phone number with dual network provider! I don't want to be charged twice because of this. Can you please rescue me? Thank you so much! Anyone who knows how to deal with this is welcomed to say something. I just want to end my relationship with Fido! But how... T.T By the way, the issue is happening now and the time now is 12:52 am, Sep 11th, 2018.

s92mauwaterloo

Thank you, krazykiwi. Now I have another weird problem to deal with. So, I just activated and successfully ported my old number into my Public Mobile account. Upon testing, I am now pretty sure that it is with PM as the network provider. However, I can still use my Fido SIM card to do whatever it was able to do. The situation now is that I have the same phone number with dual network provider! I don't want to be charged twice because of this. Can you please rescue me? Thank you so much! Anyone who knows how to deal with this is welcomed to say something. I just want to end my relationship with Fido! But how... T.T By the way, the issue is happening now and the time now is 12:52 am, Sep 11th, 2018.

cmoorthy

Great plan! Cant get better! 

I think they buy into it for the great hardware discounts (where else can you pay $250 and get an iPhone 8 or a Samsung S9?)

But yeah signal over there is horrible / unreliable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

When one considers the closest alternative the other orange brand is offering ($55 for 5GB or $65 for 10GB) one really needs to wonder why anyone would stay on that shoddy network

The only feasible reason I can think of is that people buy into the hype about the maximum possible speeds.  Potential customers probably see it as Freedom offering more based on that.  However, that thinking focuses on quanity of services offered while ignoring the quality of the service.  I'd rather have 1Mbps speeds than 100Mbps but have to wonder if I'll have signals even outdoors, even in Canada's largest city (population-wise).   Yes, Freedom's network was really that bad (and still is: first hand experience).

@kav2001c, I continue to text both those short codes.

szymon247

Freedom is getting better, but they are still rather spotty. 

I'm still waiting for the first carrier (other than Koodo's limited offer) to drop the bar for all-included packages (calling, texting, usable amounts of data) below $40. The margins the networks are getting at $40 per customer for basic smartphone usage are insane, as it doesn't cost more than a few dollars per user to provide those services, with a gigabyte of data costing cents at worst.

It's also all-or-nothing for calling and texting in Canada, and paying for unlimited calls and texts just to get usable amounts of data and the ability to make those few calls or texts per month is really frustrating. I miss the cell phone plans of.. well, pretty much anywhere else.

@kav2001c wrote:

When one considers the closest alternative the other orange brand is offering ($55 for 5GB or $65 for 10GB) one really needs to wonder why anyone would stay on that shoddy network

The only feasible reason I can think of is that people buy into the hype about the maximum possible speeds.  Potential customers probably see it as Freedom offering more based on that.  However, that thinking focuses on quanity of services offered while ignoring the quality of the service.  I'd rather have 1Mbps speeds than 100Mbps but have to wonder if I'll have signals even outdoors, even in Canada's largest city (population-wise).   Yes, Freedom's network was really that bad (and still is: first hand experience).

@stonechucker

Old post but just saw this

Not using data does not effect your being included for offers

I have an extreme example of someone on the Fall 2016 promo plan

0 minutes, less than 100MB per month

Really all they do is TXT and they get offers all the time

PS last Koodo migration offer was 5129, not 5130

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am, I am sure.  I've attempted multiple times sending the offer text to 5130 - no response.

I've typed my number into the Koodo Promo website - not eligible.

I'm not the only Promo 2016 customer not getting the offer txt... Maybe I just don't use enough data to be considered.

Maybe I complain too much.

8GB Data + North America calling for $50 per month?

Great deal Public Cat Very Happy

@Shapla001 wrote:

Great plans. I opted for $50 plan and renewed on Sep 7. Got 8 GB, but didn’t get US talk. How to solve it?

I would.just future-date.a plan change to the new version so that it takes effect at the start of the next billing cycle.

planeshift

So stoked for the new 50$ plan. 8gigs!!!!!!

Need Help? Let's chat.