cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Get 4.5 GB at 3G speeds for $40! OR Get 5.5 GB at 3G speeds for $45!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update as of July 3, 2018: These offers will expire on July 9, 2018 at 11:59 PM EDT.

Hey Community,

We have expired our $40 for 4GB at 3G speed plan, and are offering two new promotional plans that are even better! Now, for a limited time only, get 4.5 GB at 3G speed for $40 or get 5.5 GB at 3G speed for $45!

Plan details:

$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 5.5 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

How to Get one of these Offers:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed” or select “$45 for 5.5 GB of data at 3G speed”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed” or select “$45 for 5.5 GB of data at 3G speed”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

If you are currently on the “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” plan or selected to be on that plan on your next renewal date, please note that the data amount will not automatically update. You will need to change your plan to get one of these offers. See FAQ in the below spoiler for more details.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Spoiler

FAQs

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happens if the “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

What happened to the previous “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” plan?

This plan has been expired and is no longer available in our Self-Serve and activation portals. If you’re currently on the “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” plan, and would like to stay on this plan, no change is required.

I already purchased the previous “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” plan. Will my data limit automatically change to 4.5 GB?

No, the data limit will not update automatically as these are two distinct plans. That said, if you want to change to the $40 for 4.5 GB plan, you can do so in self-serve and the plan will change on your next renewal date.

I chose to switch to the “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” on my next renewal date. What will happen?

If you have changed your plan to the $40 for 4GB plan and choose not to make any changes now, on your next renewal date, you will have the “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” plan. Your plan will not automatically update to the new “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” plan. 

What happens if these plans become unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed“ or to “$45 for 5.5 GB of data at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to the selected plan even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

267 REPLIES 267

@smp99 wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

I'm on the Fall 2016 promo.  The LTE that everyone wants, with prov calling, etc....

The new 4.5GB for $40 is tempting with the Canada Wide calling, and the extra Data, even if at lower speed, as it's throttled LTE.

I don't require LTE (it is nice to have).  I don't require Canada-wide calling (would be better if/when I go out of Province, but I have 183 add-on minutes still).  I don't use the 4GB data / 30 days as it is, so more data isn't required either.

However, it's the same price point exactly as my Fall Promo plan, which is exactly the same price as the 'regular' plan I was on prior to Fall Promo for only 2GB / 30 days.

Still do not think I'll  switch, unless of course PM tells me my current plan is going up in price.

Same boat as you  - Fall 2016. I may switch now. Cda wide would be nice, and the extra 500mb,  both for 'free'. 

Asking for a friend - They have already future dated a move to the $40/4GB promo that kicks in next week.  Can they just future date this promo today and it will in effect cancel the first request and apply the 2nd request? Thanks

Yes, a new future dated plan change supersedes the previous one. I've just done that a couple of minutes ago.

SIM-phony
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

10/10 PM! Thanks so much for your continued awesomeness; I knew switching to you lot was a good idea! 😄

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker wrote:

I'm on the Fall 2016 promo.  The LTE that everyone wants, with prov calling, etc....

The new 4.5GB for $40 is tempting with the Canada Wide calling, and the extra Data, even if at lower speed, as it's throttled LTE.

I don't require LTE (it is nice to have).  I don't require Canada-wide calling (would be better if/when I go out of Province, but I have 183 add-on minutes still).  I don't use the 4GB data / 30 days as it is, so more data isn't required either.

However, it's the same price point exactly as my Fall Promo plan, which is exactly the same price as the 'regular' plan I was on prior to Fall Promo for only 2GB / 30 days.

Still do not think I'll  switch, unless of course PM tells me my current plan is going up in price.

Same boat as you  - Fall 2016. I may switch now. Cda wide would be nice, and the extra 500mb,  both for 'free'. 

Asking for a friend - They have already future dated a move to the $40/4GB promo that kicks in next week.  Can they just future date this promo today and it will in effect cancel the first request and apply the 2nd request? Thanks

GreatCanadian

I'm going with 4.5 GB as well. However, my daughter was on the $50 6 GB plan. I switched her to the 5.5 GB plan for 45 bucks. She loses only half a gig, and I save 5 bucks! If she doesn't like it she can fork over 5 bucks a month to me!  🙂

GC

Anonymous
Not applicable

In response to @daredogg and unused data:

I had 6GB for $30 back at Telus. Then the rest of the costs of course. I used to use hotspot a lot but I only once barely went over 6. I examined all my usage and found that just handset usage only ever got up to maybe 400MB. I won't be doing much hotspot anymore so I don't need the space. So I switched over to PM and got 500MB 3G.

I was really looking at Koodo for the rollover with their required "boosters". PM also has rollover with their add-ons. But the build-my-own base plan has me covered for what I need so if I do leave some unused data on the table...which I almost certainly will then oh well...it's only 500MB.

That's the way I see it.

@daredogg wrote:

Glad my plan hasn't renewed yet... I keep future dating these better deals! lol

Did the math...

$8.88 per GB with the $40 plan

$8.18 per GB with the $45 plan

The pricing is generally better on a per unit of data basis as the usage goes up.  Be careful not to buy into a buffet if you are on a data diet.  How do you price the cost of unused data?  4GB per month is already pretty good.  The extra 500 megs provides a "free" 10% buffer.  I am going with the 4.5GB option. 

@will13am with my current plan of 3GB over 90 days, I'm essentially paying $37 per GB... so you're right, basing it just on data can skew the numbers. I like how @wetcoaster broke it down, taking the basic service costs out of the equation. That'll give you the true data cost... but I agree with you, how do you price in unused data if you're only using a small portion of what you have?

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Actually, i'd like to slightly better package on a text-only plan or be able to add a bundle of text for that AMAZING new $10 plan for my teenager. 

PM's is $20 for text only or $25 for text & calling (which is tempting) but kind of like something like Koodo's pre-paid text only plan ($15 or 13.50 with auto prepay) where one can add minutes or data bundle. My spouse doesn't want her to have data to discourage or cut back on phone use (not sure if that would work but we'll see).

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for sharing some thoughts on cost and relative data cost.  

While i often just go for the lowest cost of what i need, sometimes it saves time if someone already looked at new special plans for ideas/ cost for next level up. 

dna2016

Wow, really nice to see PM shift and really try to be competitive.  Glad to see it's for both new customers and existing ones.  Nice job @Brooke_C.

@daredogg wrote:

Did the math...

While I know that we are effectively only paying for data these days, my math works slightly different... In my calculations, what I absolutely need on my cell phone is the talk & text plan at $25 (It's, essentially, what I have right now, combined with a data add-on, data right now costs me about $3/100MB/30days for the rare times I'm out of WiFi range. However, I will need quite a bit more data on the go this summer. *). The data bucket of a talk/text/data plan is added on top of my base price.

So when I did the first future date plan change it was to $40/2.5GB, which made it an additional $15 for 2.5GB. Which would be $6/1GB... Based on that here is my up-to-date table:

"Regular $40 plan" -> $15/2GB -> $7.5/1GB

"Add 500MB" -> $15/2.5GB -> $6/1GB

"4GB for $40 promo" -> $15/4GB -> $3.75/1GB

"4.5GB for $40 special" -> $15/4.5GB -> 3.33/1GB

"5.5GB for $45 special" -> $20/5.5GB -> 3.63/1GB

So, for me the 4.5GB would be most cost effective. But - does it make sense to go for the slightly less cost effective 5.5GB and plan for a WiFi independent movie night on the last day of the plan, in case I have left over data? Have to ponder that one for a bit.

* I also a have data only plan from a competitor in my tablet which gives me a $5/1GB rate.

** All pricing in this post before discounts or rewards and based on the assumption that the whole data bucket is used up at the end of the plan duration of 30 days. **

damenace

I just switched my wife's $30/30days/1Gb plan to $40/4Gb plan 2 days ago (effective today, June 25), but I was going to be charge $45 if switch to 4.5Gb now.  I opted for new billing cycle for the new 4.5Gb plan.   I did PM mods team to see if you can modify the new switch today.

@CalvinW wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CalvinW wrote:

Just need some promo plans for LTE as well now. The old PM will be back, stronger than ever

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.  I don't think Telus wants PM To be super competitive with LTE plans.

Yeah, I was just being hopeful. Pretty sure PM will try to increase the price for those on the Fall promo very soon again, so they can get people to switch over to Koodo if they want LTE or stay with PM if they want 3G. The recent Koodo promos for PM customers are crazy enticing 

Come on, we just went through this all of 3 months ago.  I just put away my pitch fork and torch.  There are other customers who haven't been targeted yet. 

@slpless wrote:

Ok. I will withdraw my request to make $40 4GB plan permanent. 

Please don't keep this plan permanent. Instead, keep offering better plans like this time hahaha.

Lol, the terms of service will ensure that nothing is permanent.  This being a prepaid service, the best approach is to keep your travel bags packed.  This way expectations will be better aligned with reality.

slpless

Ok. I will withdraw my request to make $40 4GB plan permanent. 

Please don't keep this plan permanent. Instead, keep offering better plans like this time hahaha.

CalvinW

@Anonymous wrote:

@CalvinW wrote:

Just need some promo plans for LTE as well now. The old PM will be back, stronger than ever

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.  I don't think Telus wants PM To be super competitive with LTE plans.

Yeah, I was just being hopeful. Pretty sure PM will try to increase the price for those on the Fall promo very soon again, so they can get people to switch over to Koodo if they want LTE or stay with PM if they want 3G. The recent Koodo promos for PM customers are crazy enticing 

meocon

Public Mobile is getting more perfect plans ever. Bring 4.5GB at 4G speeds for $40 PLEASE.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CalvinW wrote:

CalvinW

CalvinW

Ordered a sim card for my sister last week. Now she gets another 500mb for the same price. That's pretty sweet

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Wow even better deal. This just can't be beat. 

Darlenegood
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

the site is say my new sim card is invaild i ahve not active i talk to agemnta mnd i am thing they active but nver gave me the number

@daredogg wrote:

Did the math...

The pricing is generally better on a per unit of data basis as the usage goes up.  Be careful not to buy into a buffet if you are on a data diet.  How do you price the cost of unused data?  4GB per month is already pretty good.  The extra 500 megs provides a "free" 10% buffer.  I am going with the 4.5GB option. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13 wrote:

WOW plans are getting better more data same price!!!

Its great to see PM keeping up with chatr data offer (or maybe Chatr keeping up with PM). PM comes out on top becasue of no zones and rewards  🙂

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

Did the math...

cork99

yes awesome just switch it to the 5.5 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

WOW plans are getting better more data same price!!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.