cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: $10 ready-made plan staying for a limited time only

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of October 7, 2019: This plan is now expired.

Update as of September 24, 2019: This offer will expire on October 6th, 11:59 PM ET 2019.

Update: Due to popular demand, the $10 ready-made plan will be available for a limited time starting July 16.

FAQ

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms. Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

Past Updates

Spoiler

Hey Community,

As of July 15th 2019, 11:59 PM ET, the following price plan is being expired:

• $10 Ready-Made plan

If you’re interested in taking advantage of this ready-made plan while it’s still available, learn how you can set up a future-dated plan change on your next renewal date by clicking here. By doing so before July 16, your plan will automatically change to the plan that you choose on your next cycle. 

To check out our other plans, go to publicmobile.ca/plans

Have some questions about this change? Check out our FAQs or post below.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Spoiler

Question

Answer

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

My current plan is one that’s set to expire. Is any action required from me?

If you would like to continue on your current plan, no change is required.

I currently have this plan. If I switch to another plan, can I switch back?

You can switch back to this plan up to July 16th. After that, these plans will no longer be available.

249 REPLIES 249

@Bell3 Lucky?

Bell3
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

We have only few more hours to get the advantage of one of the best deals in Canada.  

Who will give talk and text for $10?

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@wetcoaster wrote:

@sa7375 wrote:

@Alan_K 

I also don't see the $20 plan any more — the 30 days plan with unlimited Provincial talk. Did I miss an announcement? The snapshot below is from a member of my family who subscribes to this plan.

$20 Plan.jpg

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Select-ready-made-plans-expiring-May-21...

Indeed I had missed it. Thank you for the link to the update.

sa7375

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@sa7375I think that plan no longer exists as a premade plan.. it has been supplemented by other plans. You can always build your own though (still there as $20).

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 11.39.01 AM.png

Exactly...it was not discontinued...just no longer presented as a pre-made plan but rather as a regular base plan. Still good in the end but you have to look for it.

That said, if all you want is talk and you know you will not go over 1050 mins/month, the $10 plan + 2 x 500min add-on gives you a much better deal for the same price, because unused minutes carry forward. (Of course this is time limited now and is going away...we shall see if it gets replaced with something better or not).

Or if you want some data, and you know you will not go over 550 mins, getting the $15 plan with one 500 min add-on also might be a better option.

Thank you for this research. Yes, I didn't know that these options exist as you explain and the $20 plan still available albeit in a roundabout way. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dogbert  that plan is not even purchasble, neither is the 10 day version of it.  you need at least one feature.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Many people used the $10 plan to park their phone number while away.

I wonder if we could use a very base package like the screen capture below to park a phone number while away?

90_Day_Nothing_Plan.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well...we'll see what, if anything, they come up with as a possible replacement.

I'm on this plan on my primary account. The "wifes" phone will, coincidentally, be changing to it on that night so we'll see what happens. Already scheduled before this announcement.

How about $5 for the privilege of using the network. Then get add-ons for calling and data and maybe finally adding a standard SMS add-on. $5 for 500 texts. Done. The data's a little pricey but I don't use a lot of it either.

I much prefer the add-on method rather than plan features. I quite liked a pure pay as you go service I once had in the states on a vacation. The mothers in my life both happen to be on the internal Telus $3 pay as you go. But "new" customers can't get into that plan. That might be a little slim for me though. I dunno.

I am one of those people that barely uses the phone. No kids and retired. Not old! But I'm a techy kinda guy and so I like having a little pocket computer with me for when I'm out and about for wifi or some data. Calling a company or texting the spouse a few times is about what I use it for. On the odd occassion I max the 50 texts and minutes. But not very often.

So I'm sorry to see this go. But I remain optimistic that they'll replace it with something else. We'll see.

Anyway...that's my take if anybody cares.

dna2016

@Alan_K NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

But I understand from a business standpoint you're definitely not making enough with a plan like this available. 

Jeez man, at least give us until the end of the month. 

There is part of me who says that I don't even blink an eye at this plan disappearing since it doesn't suit my needs.   Another part of me thinks that this could be a missed business opportunity.  The low use market is a unique in that people don't necessarily use this phones but carry them around just in case they need to make a call.  I realize that there are certain ways for such consomers to keep a plan active for less money, such as paying a competior $25 per year to pretty much keep a phone number active. However, these $10 customers, as I said, sometimes rarely, and some almost never use these phones, so there is no strain on network, and it costs Public Mobile practically nothing to keep these customers, meanwhile still collecting a plan fee every 30 days.  And in some months/30 day periods when these customers do have more usage than usual, they would also be more likely to need to purchase add-ons. I do realize that this plan will be grandfathered for existing customers.

Master2000

Otherwise some new business will be lost to that horseshoe brand.
They are still offering $10 plan and $25 referral credit for both parties.

Lucky Mobile $10 plan is not the same: incoming text count toward 50 texts included, data option is not available, no $2 AutoPay credit, no $1 loyalty every 30 days after one year, $2 after two years, up to $5 after five years.

Public Mobile $10 plan has unlimited incoming texts. $5 for 500 minutes with no expiry date if you go over your 50 minutes, etc.

Master2000

@sunflowershine  a écrit :

Originally I will have my mom cellular switch to PM after her prepaid plan finished. Seem I have to use Speakout instead...

You should activate a new line with $10 plan now without AutoPay (with a new number) to freeze the plan. You will have up to 120 days before having to renew it.

If your mom cellular prepaid plan finished in more than 120 days, just renew before 120 days ($10 to keep the plan for 120 days, $20 for 240days, $30 for 360 days).

When you ready to switch you mom, activate AutoPay than transfer her number.

I did it today for my parents (activated two lines). Their prepaid plan are due to renew in October.

@GinYVR wrote:

@sa7375I think that plan no longer exists as a premade plan.. it has been supplemented by other plans. You can always build your own though (still there as $20).

Exactly...it was not discontinued...just no longer presented as a pre-made plan but rather as a regular base plan. Still good in the end but you have to look for it.

That said, if all you want is talk and you know you will not go over 1050 mins/month, the $10 plan + 2 x 500min add-on gives you a much better deal for the same price, because unused minutes carry forward. (Of course this is time limited now and is going away...we shall see if it gets replaced with something better or not).

Or if you want some data, and you know you will not go over 550 mins, getting the $15 plan with one 500 min add-on also might be a better option.

@sa7375 wrote:

@Alan_K 

I also don't see the $20 plan any more — the 30 days plan with unlimited Provincial talk. Did I miss an announcement? The snapshot below is from a member of my family who subscribes to this plan.

$20 Plan.jpg

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Select-ready-made-plans-expiring-May-21...

sa7375

@Alan_K 

$20 Plan.jpg

danielj

At least they give the people that look at the community a bit of a heads up. It is only a coulpe of days and not everybody looks at the community page.

MacMe

This is a great plan for those who need a low to medium usage phone.  The talk and data add-ons made it amazing.  Grab it while you can!

@mimmo wrote:

@selva1 wrote:
All good things come to an end. Looking forward to new plans in the future.

Just look at chatr, pm tends to play follow the leader. 

Not so flattering indictment of Public Mobile.  Maybe this change will not last when the leader doesn't follow.  I hope so as I am for maximum choice.  It's interesting how so many think there's something better in the horizon.  

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

good to have some new plan

mimmo

@selva1 wrote:

Just look at chatr, pm tends to play follow the leader. 

@Triguy wrote:

Probably popular plan used by families and people who use their phones only as a backup or emergencies.  Hopefully, PM has some new plans in the works.

I too hope they are dropping this because they have something better.

This plan hits a sweet spot for my up-and-coming family just getting started into cell phones. The $15 is too much for our needs, especially multiplied many times over, since we have to get multiple plans. I guess I'll have to hold on tight to those $10 plans for the time being.

Will be missed: (

@sunflowershine wrote:

Originally I will have my mom cellular switch to PM after her prepaid plan finished. Seem I have to use Speakout instead...

I think it's worth getting now and when hers is about to expire port her number. If she never use phone it's a great plan, but it is for emergencies only, and a family member has that one in my household used only to tell us where is the pickup or to call a cab if nobody can drive to pickup. 

best value is still with 15 plan in my opinion, as you can turn it to unlimited with VoIP and everybody I know who went for 10 ended up switching to 15 eventually.

It is a great plan to get people to try it and I'll miss it.

I just hope it gets replaced by even better one. I know if at least one person who switched over only due to 10 plan. She doesn't have it of course anymore but if I didn't get it myself and let her use the sim and she could see it's just fine and that cheap and get plan was two times less with better coverage. I will miss it: (

@stonechucker No need for apologies here. I definitely make my fair share of mistakes.Smiley Happy

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize you were referring another carrier.

@LovesToPM wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

I trust @Alan_K will be revealing surprising news for us next week

Don’t you mean the $15?

They have both Smiley Happy

horseshoe plans.jpg

SD08

@stonechucker wrote:

@Alan_K wrote:

Hey Community,

As of July 15th 2019, 11:59 PM ET, the following price plan is being expired:

• $10 Ready-Made plan

If you’re interested in taking advantage of this ready-made plan while it’s still available, learn how you can set up a future-dated plan change on your next renewal date by clicking here. By doing so before July 16, your plan will automatically change to the plan that you choose on your next cycle. 

Spoiler

I am surprised it lasted this long.  Without the ability to purchase an add-on for more texts, this plan would stop sending after 50 outgoing sMS messages.

The $15 plan has unlimited text in and out, unlimited incoming calls, and 100 Canadawide minutes and 250 mb. Of data.  This is a much more useful plan.  The new 500 minutes for $5 is a sweet add on!

$13 after AutoPay discount, this is a steal at twice the price.

I have a couple of relatives who like to keep this $10 plan as an infrequently used backup/emergency phone.  At $8/mth after autopay, plus loyalty rewards eventually dropping it to as low as $3, it suits that purpose.  They don't need the data that comes with the $15 plan.  Well, at least they'll be grandfathered.

selva1

@stonechucker wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

I trust @Alan_K will be revealing surprising news for us next week

Don’t you mean the $15?

They have both Smiley Happy

horseshoe plans.jpg

funpig

I just signed up my Dad for this plan yesterday.  Huge savings over his previous $30 plan with Telus.  My Dad uses less than 50 minutes a month.  Just in case I bought him a 500 minute add-on.

@RobertQc wrote:

Hey, thanks for giving us a heads up!

$10.png

Will the home page of publicmobile.ca will say "Plans starting at $15/mo" ? Since the plan builder $10 30 day 0 text, 0 data, 0 calling is not able to be selected?

15.png

The $10 is even an option in the plan builder.  It has never been a plan, and can’t even hold a telephone number.  I’ve not tried to activate it as it would be a waste of $11.30 if I tried.

Need Help? Let's chat.