cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UPDATE] Last day to get our limited time 4GB / $40 promo plan!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Note: The promo plan has been removed from our website; however is still available in the activation portal and in Self-Serve. 

We will be honouring the promo plan for all customers who ordered their SIM card between October 25th-November 16th, but did not receive it before November 20th.

Why the November 16th cut-off date you might ask? SIM card orders take 1-2 business days to arrive at your home, and Canada Post does not deliver on the weekends. Knowing that there is a lead time for SIM cards to arrive, we have temporarily stopped SIM card ordering until after the promotion is complete. This is because anyone who would have ordered a SIM card after November 16th would not have received their SIM card in enough time to sign up for the promo plan. We didn’t want anyone to get your hopes up and then be disappointed.

If you get a SIM card at one of our pick-up locations this Friday and Saturday, you will need to sign-up for our promo plan on or before November 20th. The promo plan will not be honoured for these customers after November 20th.

Hey Community,

Yes, you read the subject line correctly! From October 25th to November 20th, we will be offering an amazing promotion where you can get 12GB of data, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text on a 90 day plan for only $120. This equates to 4GB each month for the low, low price of $40 every 30 days. If there was ever a time to get friends and family to join Public Mobile, now would be it!

Check out the full details below to see how you and your friends and family can sign up for this awesome plan!

Things you need to know

• This is the only promotional plan during this period. No other plans are affected
  • During the promo period, there will be two plans totaling $120: (1) the 6GB unlimited province-wide talk and global text plan and (2) the promotional plan, which has 12GB of data. Please be sure to choose the plan with twice as much data for the exact same price!
  • If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

Getting the plan

Pick & Pay Customers

If you are an existing Pick & Pay customer and are interested in taking advantage of the promo plan, you have two options:

1. If your plan ends during the promo period: You can sign up for the plan in self-serve, as you normally would to change your plan
  2. If your plan ends after the promo period: You can future date a rate plan change during the promotional period, and have the promo plan take effect after November 20th. For example, if you’re currently on a 90 day plan that ends on November 28th, you will be able to sign into self-serve anytime between October 25th-November 20th and future date the promo plan to take effect upon your existing plan’s completion. Come November 21st, you would no longer be able to future date the promo plan.

This means that everyone has the option to take advantage of this great deal, regardless of when your existing rate plan ends. 

Legacy Customers

If you are a legacy customer who is interested in having this promo plan, you will need to call into the call centre and upgrade to the Pick & Pay plan. Please note that, once you switch to a Pick & Pay plan, you will be unable to switch back to your old plan and will lose access to the call centre.

New Customers: You want to join because the grass is really greener over here

As a new customer, you can add the promo plan when you are prompted in the activation process. You will need to have your SIM card in hand in order to activate, so please be sure to order it first!

-Public Mobile Community team

1,415 REPLIES 1,415

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @bcsteeve,

@mharichu has been directed to send a private message and has already done so.  Its a stuck port request issue for the newly joined on the promo plan.  Cheers.  

mharichu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

bcsteeve
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mharichu wrote:
My friends and family and my boss cannot call me or text me since if change my network!!!

My signal says PUBLIC MOBILE

But whyyy they can't contact me???

Couldn't tell you... but this would be the  wrong place to ask.  your issue is a technical one that has nothing to do with this promotion, right?

mharichu
Its been 30 minutes that I send a private message to Mary still cannot receive incoming.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@Brooke_C Question for you

Seeing as Telus' main rival has now price matched this promo plan in your own backyard is there any chance Public/Telus may extend the promotion?

Would be very curious how well this promo went in the Bell areas (must be pretty good since rival carriers are now launching same plans...)

Any updates would be interesting

@srlawren well closest one to me is Dixie Park Centre. Little Chinese place (only 2 vendors for cell in mall) been selling SIMs for years 

1550 South Gateway Rd, Mississauga right off the 401

I know alot of places down on Dundas / Hurontario area as well

One of the main reasons I was upset at Public decision to charge for SIM cards as I know many small vendors prebought SIMs by hundreds to resell (remeber the thread where they were sad SIMs go to waste)

A better solution would have been to offer these vendors bulk SIMs instead of complaining about not every SIM activates right away

mharichu
Thanks

srlawren
@beebo305 since you are already on the plan, you are fine. You can change/port your number at any time without affecting your plan.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

beebo305

I've activated, registered and paid for $40/4GB promo plan.

Planning to port my number from Rogers over in a few days.

Just wondering, can I take my time to port the number?  Or I have to port my number by Nov 20th in order to be eligible for this promo.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mharichu wrote:
I called this number 855-478-2542 and this is the only customer service number they have, also there is no operator you can talk to..

Public Mobile does not have a customer service number for new customers (it's only there for legacy customers who signed up before PM changed their service setup).  It's online-only customer support.  And there are numerous people having the exact same issue as you (due to the popularity of this plan, there's been a WAY higher than expected number of new customers).  You'll need to be patient.

imm1304

@mharichu,  please send a private message to @Mary_M right now.

She will be able to help you fix this.  Provide the following info to speed things up:

- your public mobile sim card number 

- Wind phone number you ported

- Wind account number and PIN

- Name on the Wind account

Your number transfer request encountered some sort of error.  Thats why you are stuck without incoming service.  

mharichu
I called this number 855-478-2542 and this is the only customer service number they have, also there is no operator you can talk to..

mharichu
Citoyen
10:31 AM
I change it last night at 10:30 pm,
I can do out going calls and text. But no incoming calls and text.

If I call my number the operator says the number doesn't exist!

mharichu
I change it last night at 10:30 pm,
I can do out going calls and text. But no incoming calls and text.

If I call my number the operator says the number doesn't exist!

imm1304

@jairolevi, what good is her son Jairo!  😉

You be mom's techsavvy PM guy 😄

I end up being that guy often.. have to get on the computer and perform simple basic tasks for parents, uncle/aunts sometimes.  

imm1304

@mharichu, how long has it been since you switched?

It takes about half hour in most cases but can take up to couple of hours for the number to start ringing and receiving incoming texts.  While in the middle of a port request, its normal to experience what you are experiencing.  

If it has been a while, then you will need help from PM staff to re-submit the number port request.

mharichu
My number doesn't exist!!! Since I change to PM..

I really need help.

mharichu
Stay on WIND. I think I'm gonna cry right now...

Since I've change my network people around me cannot contact me ...

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@sportymi wrote:

People likes to interact with a real human.

Then PM is probably not for them... PM is a virtual community, aimed for self sufficient, tech savvy people.  

Mom if you are reading this, stay with Wind please 😛

mharichu
My friends and family and my boss cannot call me or text me since if change my network!!!

My signal says PUBLIC MOBILE

But whyyy they can't contact me???

sportymi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

lol, I totally understand the repeated questions.

But then I want to say getting a direct answer feels very more personal then reading a faq. People likes to interact with a real human.

ibnikhamis
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

idid the same thing steel is not working

McLaren

@ibnikhamis  Click the I am authorized box first before entering your number when porting.

WearySky

@srlawren I agree - the fact that there have been hundreds of people in this thread asking questions that are answered in the very first post is proof that people often don't bother reading.  Working in web development, I've seen numerous cases where despite HUGE BRIGHT RED messaging right on a website's homepage, we'll still get people calling our customer service line asking questions that are answered right there in the huge bright red messages.

srlawren
@jairolevi yeah I agree, and I've proposed that very idea (a guided posting process/dialog) in a conference call with the oracles & some PM staff. I do hope they build it one day!

@el56 those are some good ideas too that would help somewhat, but I still think many people would not read that first.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ibnikhamis
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

my porting chatr mobile number problem please help to port my number from chatr to pm iget message you must authorized this phone number and the chatr number is active.what ihave to do.

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Or a bot that replies back to the user when creating a new thread.

Something like reddit does ( I am a bot, have you checked the sub reddit rules?)

It could say something like... " Hey @jairolevi, have you gone through the FAQ yet?  90% of the questions have already been answered.... "

@el56 wrote:

In the ideas area I have proposed a detailed and prominent area for Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQs); that would be the READ HERE FIRST BEFORE ASKING

el56

@srlawren wrote:

@mgi you got curt answers AND this thread is over 100 pages long BECAUSE people don't take the time to look first. Literally the two posts DIRECTLY above your post from yesterday that you are mentioning are pointing you at the answer to your question.  Sorry if this comes across as a jerky reply but this cycle has been going on since Oct 25th. Anyway, this is all moot since you have already taken your business elsewhere.  Fido is a great provider and I'm sure you will be happy there.  PM's model isn't for everybody, and it sounds like it wasn't for you.  I wish you all the best.

Yeah, it's a jerky reply. You have the benefit of having gone through the whole thread, and figure that this method of finding answers should be good enough for everyone. The problem is compounded as time passes and the thread expands beyond a thousand posts, in some cases offering confusing or conflicting advice from different people.

This is a preventable error that needlessly turns people away from both the promotion and the PM model. It need not be so hostile to newcomers.

In the ideas area I have proposed a detailed and prominent area for Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQs); that would be the READ HERE FIRST BEFORE ASKING area that would be the definitive and intuitive  place for answers to questions that are repeated over and over and over in threads like this.

It need not be expensive or difficult to create. Use of a Wiki-type system would enable PM staff, mods and other participants to add and update the FAQ in real time as answers evolve and new frequest questions are discovered. The community gets to answer common questions there, once and definitively. That leaves the discussion thread open and ready to answer the uncommon questions that may require more personal attention.

srlawren
@mgi I agree that the UX has been, let's say, less than great. Okay, it's been awful! For new customers, existing customers, community members trying to help both of the above, and for pm staff trying to support all of the above. I do hope there are a number of takeaways and lessons learned, and as a community oracle, I promise I will continue to try to drive that message with the community staff. I've already been pretty vocal with them and don't plan to let up. The thing is, they recognize it things need improving. I hope they are sincere in their statements they are working hard on the issues.

I am curious about your banner point, that you have brought up a couple of times. My apologies as I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. You wanted a banned that did what? And you saw one that instead did something else? Maybe I'm tired but any chance you could elaborate a little, please?

mgi

@hopetindall wrote:

Hi @mgi

@srlawren is right - Fido is a great provider too.

I moved from Rogers (26+ years) to Fido in September (3GB Data/$15) and PM in October ($40 Fall promo).

I plan on keeping both services.

I've been lucky and haven't had any problems like some with PM activation and porting. I'm happy to accept a different channel to get support from PM in return for an awesome deal.

I'm sorry PM didn't work for you - but in all honesty - if it wasn't for PM - the Virgin and Fido promos wouldn't be offered. 

Competition baby!

🙂

PHT

I agree 100%. The only reason the other offers are available is because of PM, and for that I thank them. That is also why I'm so annoyed that I'm not with another carrier.

I spent part of last night figuring out a way around not being able to call a half dozen people living outside the 18 countries PM lets you call long distance to.

While I'm not a huge fan of any of the options, I was excited when I found mulitple work arounds so I could support PM.

I really wanted to support PM. Had they supplied a simple banner or link to where I could, I would be.

Hopefully they will sort a few things out and I will be able to come back and support a company that competes for busniess, unlike most of the rest.

Need Help? Let's chat.