cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UPDATE] Last day to get our limited time 4GB / $40 promo plan!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Note: The promo plan has been removed from our website; however is still available in the activation portal and in Self-Serve. 

We will be honouring the promo plan for all customers who ordered their SIM card between October 25th-November 16th, but did not receive it before November 20th.

Why the November 16th cut-off date you might ask? SIM card orders take 1-2 business days to arrive at your home, and Canada Post does not deliver on the weekends. Knowing that there is a lead time for SIM cards to arrive, we have temporarily stopped SIM card ordering until after the promotion is complete. This is because anyone who would have ordered a SIM card after November 16th would not have received their SIM card in enough time to sign up for the promo plan. We didn’t want anyone to get your hopes up and then be disappointed.

If you get a SIM card at one of our pick-up locations this Friday and Saturday, you will need to sign-up for our promo plan on or before November 20th. The promo plan will not be honoured for these customers after November 20th.

Hey Community,

Yes, you read the subject line correctly! From October 25th to November 20th, we will be offering an amazing promotion where you can get 12GB of data, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text on a 90 day plan for only $120. This equates to 4GB each month for the low, low price of $40 every 30 days. If there was ever a time to get friends and family to join Public Mobile, now would be it!

Check out the full details below to see how you and your friends and family can sign up for this awesome plan!

Things you need to know

• This is the only promotional plan during this period. No other plans are affected
  • During the promo period, there will be two plans totaling $120: (1) the 6GB unlimited province-wide talk and global text plan and (2) the promotional plan, which has 12GB of data. Please be sure to choose the plan with twice as much data for the exact same price!
  • If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

Getting the plan

Pick & Pay Customers

If you are an existing Pick & Pay customer and are interested in taking advantage of the promo plan, you have two options:

1. If your plan ends during the promo period: You can sign up for the plan in self-serve, as you normally would to change your plan
  2. If your plan ends after the promo period: You can future date a rate plan change during the promotional period, and have the promo plan take effect after November 20th. For example, if you’re currently on a 90 day plan that ends on November 28th, you will be able to sign into self-serve anytime between October 25th-November 20th and future date the promo plan to take effect upon your existing plan’s completion. Come November 21st, you would no longer be able to future date the promo plan.

This means that everyone has the option to take advantage of this great deal, regardless of when your existing rate plan ends. 

Legacy Customers

If you are a legacy customer who is interested in having this promo plan, you will need to call into the call centre and upgrade to the Pick & Pay plan. Please note that, once you switch to a Pick & Pay plan, you will be unable to switch back to your old plan and will lose access to the call centre.

New Customers: You want to join because the grass is really greener over here

As a new customer, you can add the promo plan when you are prompted in the activation process. You will need to have your SIM card in hand in order to activate, so please be sure to order it first!

-Public Mobile Community team

1,415 REPLIES 1,415

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
No worries. For some reason, that notification isn't turned on when by default. You'd have to go into your community settings to enable it, and then you get emailed any time you receive a private message.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

bcsteeve
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@srlawren wrote:
@bcsteeve would you please check your private messages? I replied to yours a couple of days ago that I don't think you've read, and I just sent you another one a few mins ago. Cheers!

Oh?  I had no idea.  Certainly no notification.  I have to find them.  brb.

srlawren
@bcsteeve would you please check your private messages? I replied to yours a couple of days ago that I don't think you've read, and I just sent you another one a few mins ago. Cheers!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22
Welcome to the PM family @ronster 🙂

@jairolevi

lol

I totally agree.everyone feels intimidated by this at the start but at least read the first and the 5 last pages

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @bcsteeve

I dont expect people to read the whole thread, but I at least check at least the first and last pages before posting...

I think I will quit the forums unil the 25th of november, this is getting ridiculous.  Or at least ignore the same questions asked that are answered on page one.... 

A little bit of reading before posting would avoid 90% of the same old questions...

@bcsteeve wrote:
I get your frustration, but we have to ease up!  Look at this thread.  Would YOU be inclined at all to read through over 100 pages to get a tidbit of info that may or may not be there? 

@spetel

I did a temporary number as well, but after spending 7 hours reading other people's comments, not everyone did and not everyone read the instructions before which increases the risques of failures to activate. 

as of the loss; some people do care about it others don't. if it is your work phone you will have a lot of second thoughts.... if you lose your old number you won't be happy... ofc the nimber of those situations have been very minor compared to the succeseful ones but everyone agrees that this deal is a must get and especially if you are in Ontario where plans are juste overprices ... way overpriced. 

@bcsteeve, I am very sure a lot of people are very new to this self serve thing that's why this offer is just not for everyone that can't go search for info and do everything alone.... I know it's my first time ever dealing this kind of services and I don't mind it

ronster

Finally ended 17years of affair with Fido last night.  I signed up and ported both myself and my wife for this promotion.  The process was painless.  For both of us, from the moment clicking 'Activate SIM' button to fully functional PM SIM with number ported, it took each of us about 45 mins or less.  It does take some patience when moving from one step to another.  At one point, I was frustrated when stuck for 10 mins after I submitted the activation.  I waited and the subsequent steps got through in a breeze. 

So patience is a virtue...

Rockdaddy22
Fair enough 🙂

bcsteeve

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
Of course all you need is the number, you activate it online. The sim doesn't care where it is 🙂

I'm sure it is an "of course" to most people.  Unlike 99.999% of you... I've never had cell service before.

[edit: not quite true.  I had a cell in the flip-phone days but it didn't use a SIM]

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Indeed - it would be foolish to port your # in when activating the SIM if you didn't have the SIM in hand. 🙂  

I still have one spare sim left as well, incidentally.

spetel
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

for porting part - not true, open the account with a temp number, once you get the real sim then port your number. I did that, it is possible (I think I mentioned it in my original post).

As for paying for services you are not getting:

true, but if you get the sim next week, you only "lose" lets say 5 days.

for $40 for 30 days (120 for 90) that comes to a total loss of $6.6

That still comes to a great deal compared to the savings on this plan.

el56

That's what I did. I'm in Switzerland and I set it up from here.

I had the SIM card sent to a family member who then emailed me a photo of it; with that I had enough info to activate. The important bit is the 19-digit number printed right on the SIM.

I won't even be able to use it until I get back to Canada, but given that this deal is $40/month forever, a few weeks unused doesn't seem like a big deal.

(BTW, most European phones do just fine with LTE on the Telus network...)

@spetel

well if they do that, a lot of people will activate the account, pay the money but wont have the SIM card for days, and some other will get their phone # cancelled because they ported the number in the signing up process. So you are paying for services you are not getting... so it is even more messi-er-

spetel

yeah, it is true...

and not only that - you can also use "dead" sim cards for it.

If anyone have a sim card that when you put it in says "no sim", and they didn't activate it already - they can give you that sim number and you can use it to open an account and secure this promotion until you get a working sim.

Why didn't anyone think about it until now? good quesiton.

Better question: why won't public mobile give you the sim number in an email while it is being shipped, so you can activate before the snail-mail comes in... that should have allowed them to keep selling sim cards up to the minute the promotion is on, if they automate it and can email you the sim number right after you order it.

Seems even cheaper than speading sim-pickup-locations all around Canada.

@bcsteeve

all you need the SIM number. so it is not necessairy to have the physical SIM  or phone with you now

Rockdaddy22
Of course all you need is the number, you activate it online. The sim doesn't care where it is 🙂

bcsteeve

@spetel wrote:

You didn't miss out yet.

Ask someone that goes in person to pick up a sim to pick one up for you.

e-transfer him the cost of the sim, and he can email you the sim number.

you can activate this promo with the sim number, and order another sim online (even if it takes a week to get).

Once you get your sim, you can change sim card in the self serve to the one you physically have and you are done!

At that point, you can port your number to the exisitng public mobile account with the promo.

Boom!

Wait, what?  Is this true?!?  All these pages and nobody says that till now?  I thought the SIM had to actually be in hand (or rather, in phone) but all you need is the number?  

[or maybe it was mentioned and I missed it or somehow didn't put 2 and 2 together]

spetel

You didn't miss out yet.

Ask someone that goes in person to pick up a sim to pick one up for you.

e-transfer him the cost of the sim, and he can email you the sim number.

you can activate this promo with the sim number, and order another sim online (even if it takes a week to get).

Once you get your sim, you can change sim card in the self serve to the one you physically have and you are done!

At that point, you can port your number to the exisitng public mobile account with the promo.

Boom!

jboosti

Well shucks I just missed this promo..

I'm on the 5GB Koodo Manitoba plan and these 90 day plans look interesting for me.

If someone pokes me during the next promo I may switch and give them the referral

bcsteeve

@jairolevi wrote:

@cilbup91  duuuuude!

Read before posting please, this has been asked and answered 10.000 times.....

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Is-the-4gig-120-promo-gone/m-p/97283/hig...

@cilbup91 wrote:

I only see it as 2 GB for 40$ now too. Something's up

I get your frustration, but we have to ease up!  Look at this thread.  Would YOU be inclined at all to read through over 100 pages to get a tidbit of info that may or may not be there?  It is daunting.  There's no reasonable expectation (from a new person's perspective) that the info might happen to be a page or two back.

The question is going to be repeated and we're just going to have to keep answering.  If there is a STICKY that would be a good place to point them.

firstdataplan

just signed up today... everything was smooth.  Guys, make sure to set up APN according for data access

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@cilbup91  duuuuude!

Read before posting please, this has been asked and answered 10.000 times.....

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Is-the-4gig-120-promo-gone/m-p/97283/hig...

@cilbup91 wrote:

cilbup91

ChopstickHero
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks!!

@ChopstickHero, check out the announcement here !

vn33

@vn33 wrote:

Plan is no longer availble? I don't see it on the website any more, nor in the plan-selection grid

Just read above that if you activate the SIM, the plan will show up on activation.

vn33

Plan is no longer availble? I don't see it on the website any more, nor in the plan-selection grid

ChopstickHero
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Patiently awaiting your announcement of the pickup locations. I want to get in on this deal. Sick of Rogers high prices.

Popcorn

I'm going to be sad if my SIM doesn't arrive 😞

Need Help? Let's chat.