cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UPDATE] Last day to get our limited time 4GB / $40 promo plan!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Note: The promo plan has been removed from our website; however is still available in the activation portal and in Self-Serve. 

We will be honouring the promo plan for all customers who ordered their SIM card between October 25th-November 16th, but did not receive it before November 20th.

Why the November 16th cut-off date you might ask? SIM card orders take 1-2 business days to arrive at your home, and Canada Post does not deliver on the weekends. Knowing that there is a lead time for SIM cards to arrive, we have temporarily stopped SIM card ordering until after the promotion is complete. This is because anyone who would have ordered a SIM card after November 16th would not have received their SIM card in enough time to sign up for the promo plan. We didn’t want anyone to get your hopes up and then be disappointed.

If you get a SIM card at one of our pick-up locations this Friday and Saturday, you will need to sign-up for our promo plan on or before November 20th. The promo plan will not be honoured for these customers after November 20th.

Hey Community,

Yes, you read the subject line correctly! From October 25th to November 20th, we will be offering an amazing promotion where you can get 12GB of data, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text on a 90 day plan for only $120. This equates to 4GB each month for the low, low price of $40 every 30 days. If there was ever a time to get friends and family to join Public Mobile, now would be it!

Check out the full details below to see how you and your friends and family can sign up for this awesome plan!

Things you need to know

• This is the only promotional plan during this period. No other plans are affected
  • During the promo period, there will be two plans totaling $120: (1) the 6GB unlimited province-wide talk and global text plan and (2) the promotional plan, which has 12GB of data. Please be sure to choose the plan with twice as much data for the exact same price!
  • If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

Getting the plan

Pick & Pay Customers

If you are an existing Pick & Pay customer and are interested in taking advantage of the promo plan, you have two options:

1. If your plan ends during the promo period: You can sign up for the plan in self-serve, as you normally would to change your plan
  2. If your plan ends after the promo period: You can future date a rate plan change during the promotional period, and have the promo plan take effect after November 20th. For example, if you’re currently on a 90 day plan that ends on November 28th, you will be able to sign into self-serve anytime between October 25th-November 20th and future date the promo plan to take effect upon your existing plan’s completion. Come November 21st, you would no longer be able to future date the promo plan.

This means that everyone has the option to take advantage of this great deal, regardless of when your existing rate plan ends. 

Legacy Customers

If you are a legacy customer who is interested in having this promo plan, you will need to call into the call centre and upgrade to the Pick & Pay plan. Please note that, once you switch to a Pick & Pay plan, you will be unable to switch back to your old plan and will lose access to the call centre.

New Customers: You want to join because the grass is really greener over here

As a new customer, you can add the promo plan when you are prompted in the activation process. You will need to have your SIM card in hand in order to activate, so please be sure to order it first!

-Public Mobile Community team

1,415 REPLIES 1,415

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@engelsg wrote:

Does the province wide calling apply to the province I'm in, the home province of my phone number, or the province of my billing address?

It will apply to your phone number.  For receiving calls, you'll need to have a LD add-on if you're not in the province connected to your phone number.  To make calls, though, I believe you should be able to make outgoing calls to the province that you are currently located in (cell phone long distance rules are weird)

@engelsg wrote:

Does the province wide calling apply to the province I'm in, the home province of my phone number, or the province of my billing address?

I believe its based on your number and towers you connect to. 

engelsg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

This is unbelievable!

More so because my plan renews today as well. So I did a plan change on renewal and hopefully it will kick in tonight.

Thanks PM!

WearySky

@imm1304 wrote:

Hi @WearySky!

You are correct.  PM is only required to give a 30 day notice for any price changes.  So, you will be notified at least 30 days in advance before your next payment date.  

However, the history speaks well for PM.  They have allowed customers to hold on to old plans on both the occasions that I know about when PM changed plans.  Grandfathered customers are still around and enjoying their plans from 2014.  

Thanks!  Yeah, I've heard good things about the grandfathering, so I'm not overly concerned.  I was more curious than anything else, it's definitely not going to keep me from moving over (and recommending to several of my friends and family as well)

JaK

Hi @smp99;

Yes, that will work, as long as you activate the promo before Nov 20th, my understanding is that you will still be on it coming out of suspension. In this case you will have to still pay the initial $120, but with the plan and the suspension time that could delay thier move by as much as 180 days

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@smp99, you are correct there.  If you sign up on the promo plan, it expires after 90 days.  And then, the account stays in "Suspended" status for 90 more days.  That technically buys you almost 6 months.

Just remember to reactivate the suspended account before 90 days pass and you will keep the promo plan that you were already on. This was asked by @Luddite recently and confirmed by Brooke_C to be the case.  

smp99

@JaK wrote:

You are correct @ute1978, this will not work, you need at least 1 feature, the system will reject otherwise. (Been discussed on these forums a number of times, confirmed by @Shazia_K)

Thanks for the update. 

Another possibilty

Sign up for new promo $120 from the start. After 90 days let my plan expire. I understand I have 90 days from the time it expires to renew or reactivate or account is canceled for good. So before the final cancelation, I reactivate. Will I be on this new promo plan that I was orignally on?

I asking for someone else who is locked in and wants to delay cancel fees for as long as possible.

imm1304

Hi @WearySky!

Welcome aboard.  Let the savings begin!  😄

You are correct.  PM is only required to give a 30 day notice for any price changes.  So, you will be notified at least 30 days in advance before your next payment date.  

However, the history speaks well for PM.  They have allowed customers to hold on to old plans on both the occasions that I know about when PM changed plans.  Grandfathered customers are still around and enjoying their plans from 2014.  

WearySky

Hi PM community!  This plan is amazing, and has resulted in me finally ditching Rogers after nearly 15 years.  I just have one question - I know that we keep the plan after the promotional period, as long as we keep our accounts active... But what are the Wireless Code requirements for notifications if the plan price ever *does* change, some time in the far future, for those of us who are on pre-auth payments?  Is it a 30 day notice requirement?  I can't see anything about this for prepaid in the Simplified Wireless Code.

JaK

Hi @Drice;

First, no you can't call even after you are an activated customer, PM is a community/email support only company, (except for some legacy users from before that was implimented.)

Second, no unfortunately this promo is limited to the province wide calling plan, you can't sub in Canada wide and get the promo discount. You can, however, get the province wide plan and then use long distance add-ons. These come in bundles of 200 min ($8) and 400min ($15), and do not expire. Depending on how much you call out of province, that still may be a viable way to go.

Hope this helps.

@Drice wrote:

It appears that I can only call to contact this company if I am an activated customer.

I am wondering if any of the people who work her can answer my question.

I see that this plan for $40 is limited to province wide calling.

My mom lives in Manitoba, my sister in Nunavut and myself in Ontario.

The difference from all the plans when going from province wide to nationwide is $5. Would I be able to have the discount applied but add the additional $5 per month and have the nationwide calling added instead of the province wide if I were to switch to PM?

It would be $135 per 90 period instead of the $120 but i would have nationwide callign instead of province wide.

If this is okay, I would be bringing my entire family, (those out of province and a few more within the province) over to PM

Thank you for your response

JaK

You are correct @ute1978, this will not work, you need at least 1 feature, the system will reject otherwise. (Been discussed on these forums a number of times, confirmed by @Shazia_K)

ute1978

@smp99 wrote:

To be clear regarding upgrading my current pick&pay plan.

Lets say I am in the middle of a 90day, No Talk, No Data, No text, $25 - just to have an active account. Sometime before Nov20, I can change this no-everything plan to the 90day $120 plan and the new plan will not start until my current $25 plans runs out.

Is this true? In effect I am just trying to delay the start. 

I am sure this won't work. You have to have at least one of the features (either talk, or text or data) activated for a plan to be an "Active Plan" to be able to change it. No activated feature means you only paid for the SIM-card. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Drice

It appears that I can only call to contact this company if I am an activated customer.

I am wondering if any of the people who work her can answer my question.

I see that this plan for $40 is limited to province wide calling.

My mom lives in Manitoba, my sister in Nunavut and myself in Ontario.

The difference from all the plans when going from province wide to nationwide is $5. Would I be able to have the discount applied but add the additional $5 per month and have the nationwide calling added instead of the province wide if I were to switch to PM?

It would be $135 per 90 period instead of the $120 but i would have nationwide callign instead of province wide.

If this is okay, I would be bringing my entire family, (those out of province and a few more within the province) over to PM

Thank you for your response

smp99

To be clear regarding upgrading my current pick&pay plan.

Lets say I am in the middle of a 90day, No Talk, No Data, No text, $25 - just to have an active account. Sometime before Nov20, I can change this no-everything plan to the 90day $120 plan and the new plan will not start until my current $25 plans runs out.

Is this true? In effect I am just trying to delay the start. 

JaK

Hey @majsiddiqui, welcome to Public Mobile! (You're going to love it here... 🙂 )

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

for people who are on a 90-day plan and renew date is not in the promo period, are you planning to upgrade?

edit: just found out you can change on renewal date 🙂

That's great @majsiddiqui!

Just to clarify when moderators are available...

From the post All you need to know about our Community Moderators

• Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am(EST) to 9pm(EST) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(EST) to 5:30pm(EST)

To anyone thinking of porting to PM, you should probably do it during the hours listed above just in case you have any issues like majsiddiqui did.

majsiddiqui
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I got my line activated on the new promo and ported my number from WIND Mobile last night. Everything happened so fast. I mean I did order my SIM on Saturday and found it in my mailbox Tuesday (it was shipped on Monday).

Once I got connected to LTE the first thing I did was a speed test. Then another simultaneous test on multiple devices to compare WIND Mobile and PM results. Obviously I don't have to tell you who won the race 😉

Then played a YouTube video on both devices to compare load speed. And finally stream Hotel Transylvania on Netflix for a minute or two to compare speeds. The results were pleasing.

I then decided to move forward with my port request from WIND Mobile. Had an issue submitting the form so I sent a message to @Shazia_K and she responded within 5 minutes. She jumped in to help and within 30 minutes my number was ported over to PM. I was relieved that a PM rep was available to help out immediately.

Overall, I'm pleased with PM and I've been a customer for less than 12 hours 🙂

Thank you PM.

@monkeytacos For data, yes, you can use it anywhere in Canada and the plan does include voicemail, call forwarding, and caller display.

You can learn a lot in the Knowledge Base or simply by searching (although you may need to dig through). Here are some discussion threads that'll answer your other questions:

Voicemail features:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/VoiceMail-features/m-p/46507/highlight/t...

Everything you need to know about add-ons is in this post under What Add-ons can I purchase?

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/All-about-our-Plans-and-Add-ons/ta-p/22...

monkeytacos

Non subscriber, but am interested in switching.

For this promo, data is canada wide, unlike calling, which is province wide?

Does this plan have voicemail / call forwarding / caller display?

If there is voicemail, how long can we keep messages / how many messages can we keep?

Also, I can't seem to find the add-ons available.  Got a link?

@Scottou wrote:
Hi as you said, If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer

Do you mean I need to set up an auto renewal and auto payment to be able to have the same promotional plan after 90days?

Thanks.

I don't think you have to use AutoPay to continue on this promo plan. If you can manually add payment and renew on the due date than that's fine. But, i don't know why you would not want AutoPay since it gives you $6 additional discount.

Scottou
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hi as you said, If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer

Do you mean I need to set up an auto renewal and auto payment to be able to have the same promotional plan after 90days?

Thanks.

Rockdaddy22
Unfortunately you have to wait until renewing your plan, I have to wait until the middle of December.

jmnp

Aw man, I just made the switch and ported to Public Mobile Monday (October 24th) with the 2GB / $40 plan. Is there no way of getting this promo now without having to pay for the plan immediately or waiting for my next renewal (January)? Smiley Sad

ryanwoo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I don't need it either. I switched from 3GB plan to this just because it's such a good deal I will regret if I don't take it. I will force myself to use more data in the future:)

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

wow that's a lot of data! but I don't use that much... 

to upgrade or not... that's a question 

for most data-heavy users, act fast! 😄

hj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

cannot help loving PM. Is this correct??

@kav2001c wrote:

@Brooke_C if we changed an existing plan does the credit still apply? 

No, they are not offering that option with this promo. Saray_O confirmed earlier. 

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@hj wrote:

I can't love PM! Great deal!!!

You can't??? C'mon try to love them again Cat Wink

Need Help? Let's chat.