cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan updates + new $10 limited talk and text plan!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update as of June 19, 2018: This post has been updated to provide additional clarity that leaving a voicemail message uses minutes. 

Update as of June 11, 2018: This post has been updated to rectify that call forwarding counts toward your plan’s minutes.

Update as of May 4, 2018: This is no longer a limited time offer. 

Hey Community,

We recently completed a pricing review and wanted to let you know that you will be seeing some changes to our 3G pricing, effective today.

Our goal is to provide our customers with simple plans that provide great value. You can check out all the new pricing on our website, but at a high level, the big thing to note is that our Canada-wide talk, text, and 3G-speed data plans are now more competitive. Great news for anyone traveling within Canada this summer!

Additionally, we are introducing a new limited time $10 30-day limited talk and text plan.This plan is available for new and existing customers and includes:

• 50 minutes of Canada-wide Talk
  • 50 International Outgoing Texts and Unlimited Incoming Texts and Picture Messages
  • Voicemail and Call Display

Note, checking your voicemail will use your minutes. Since this is the first time we have offered a ‘limited’ plan since we re-launched the brand, we’ve included FAQs on how this will work  in the spoiler below.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Spoiler

FAQs

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

What does and does not use my minutes?

Uses Minutes

Doesn’t Use Minutes

• Making a call
  • Answering a call
  • Retrieving or leaving voicemail messages
  • Using call forwarding
  • Calling *611 (the IVR)
  • Making or receiving calls from 911
  • Using calling apps when connected to Wifi

What is the maximum length of one text message?

A text message contains 160 characters; longer texts are broken down into 160 character segments. Each segment is counted as one text message.

Will you notify me when I’m almost out of text messages or minutes?

Yes, you will get an SMS message from Public Mobile when you have 10 outgoing texts left or 10 minutes left in your plan.

If I don’t have any minutes left, but I have a voicemail message, how do I check my voicemail?

There are two ways you can check your voicemail.

1. From a landline or another mobile phone, dial your 10-digit phone number and press the * key to interrupt the system greeting. From here, you may need enter your voicemail password.
  2. You can purchase a long distance Add-On such as the 200 minutes Add-On that allows you to call to Canada and the US for $8. Note, the minutes in the Add-On will rollover to your next billing cycle.

Do I have to purchase a Long Distance Add-On to get more than 50 minutes?

Yes, you need a Long Distance Add-On to get more minutes added to your plan. If you often use more than 50 minutes per 30 days, we recommend one of our plans with unlimited talk.

I’ve run out of outgoing text messages included in my plan. What are my options to keep sending text messages?

We do not offer an Add-On for text messaging. We suggest you try one of our plans with unlimited text messages included. You can select any of our other Ready-Made Plans or build your own plan using our calculator.

If you like your limited talk and text plan, you can wait until your next billing cycle or you can renew your plan early.

Why is a text Add-On not being offered?

This is the first time we have introduced a plan with limited Talk and Text, so, to-date, there hasn’t been a need for a Text Add-On. Depending on demand and market changes, we may introduce a Text Add-On in the future; however this is not available at this time.

If I purchase a Long Distance Add-On, will my calls use up my Add-On minutes or my in-plan minutes?

Making a Call to someone in Canada

Making a Call to someone outside of Canada

Answering a Call from Anywhere in the World

In Canada

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes.

Requires Long Distance Add-On. The Long Distance countries we support can be found here.   

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes

In U.S.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. Aside from calls to Canada, you will only be able to make calls to people in the U.S. and its territories.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. You will only be able to receive calls from people in Canada or the US and its territories.  

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling in Canada, your call will use your in-plan minutes first.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling outside of Canada, your call will use your Long Distance Add-On minutes (as long as the location you’re calling is accessible through your Long Distance Add-On).

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans. 

302 REPLIES 302

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

good low end plans

While I understand that Canada wide is there (currently) for those who use it/want it, I do not use it.

As there is still currently a cheaper option, I would go for that.  If Provice wide disapears, then I will have to decide if I upgrade or downgrade (here or elsewhere) when I choose to leave the promo.

*IF* Public Mobile were to automatically upgrade the promo to Canada wide when/If they remove Province wide... then I'd probably keep the plan.

@will13am wrote:

I believe so, it might have been an oversight.  It would be a lot of work to program out this function for just this particular plan.  Recognize that forwarded minutes are chargeable. 

On this new minimalist plan there is no charge for call forwarding. Check the FAQ.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@smp99 wrote:

Hi 

The spoiler makes reference to Call Fwd does not count towards your minutes. But the plan details only refer to VoiceMail and call dispay. So is Call Fwd included?

@smp99 wrote:

Hi 

The spoiler makes reference to Call Fwd does not count towards your minutes. But the plan details only refer to VoiceMail and call dispay. So is Call Fwd included?

I believe so, it might have been an oversight.  It would be a lot of work to program out this function for just this particular plan.  Recognize that forwarded minutes are chargeable. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is great to see some new offering to bring some life back into the community and renewed interest in this service.  Moving towards Canada wide calling is a good thing whether customers need it or not.  This is the internet era, long distance is not part of the new urban dictionary like it used to be.  No point comparing to legacy plans with province wide calling. 

denkom
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

While this is not a plan that I am interested in, it's nice to see PM coming up with some new, creative plan options.

@stonechucker, I am not leaving my fall promo either.  Almost my whole family is in BC so that calling feature works for me as does the rest of the plan.  I just don't see the additional cost associated with being able to call Canada wide?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Until I'm forced off my current Fall Promo, province wide is all I want for calling, texting is still overkill because I do not text outside my local calling are, and well 4G data.... you know.

I would accept Canada wide calling if it were just added to my current plan at no cost, however, I'd also support a local-dialing area voice option, and add LD minutes as required (for a reduction in my price).

I do like the $10 offer here... for those who do not need a lot of service.  But that's not what I'm looking for.

I still like to see a Provice calling feature available - it's a choice we don't see almost anywhere else.

@mimmo wrote:

If i could get a provinical plan $3-5 less than a canadawide, (it was $5 before the changes)  then i would be all over it.  I had the provincial plan and ld addon and i used 100 minutes of 400 in 1.5 years. no use to pay for something i don't need.  

@ShawnC13 wrote:

.  All plans should just move to Canada wide.

The new pricing has the Canada wide at the same price for the 3G so there is no longer a discount for Province wide.  That is why I am thinking it might be the new way ahead

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

CalvinW

@smp99 wrote:

@CalvinW wrote:

Please adjust the 90 days plan pricing. There is next to zero incentive to get a 90 day plan now 

Disagree. 6GB over 90 days is better than 2GB over 30 days. But that's really the only benefit

I said "zero" for emphasis, but you're right, "minimal" would have been more appropriate. I expect more when you're paying 2 months of service in advance. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

If i could get a provinical plan $3-5 less than a canadawide, (it was $5 before the changes)  then i would be all over it.  I had the provincial plan and ld addon and i used 100 minutes of 400 in 1.5 years. no use to pay for something i don't need.  

@ShawnC13 wrote:

.  All plans should just move to Canada wide.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Awesome price $10 for Canada Wide talks and International textings, go PM go 

I like the new plan, and hope this new pricing format to go Canada wide will spread to other plans and is the start of eliminating the Province wide plans.  All plans should just move to Canada wide.

@smp99 wrote:

@CalvinW wrote:

Please adjust the 90 days plan pricing. There is next to zero incentive to get a 90 day plan now 

Disagree. 6GB over 90 days is better than 2GB over 30 days. But that's really the only benefit

I agree that the flexibilty is better with the 90 days plans but I do think you should get a financial benefit for signing up for 90 days as well.  You are "fronting" PM 90 days payment so they have this money without having to provide the service right away.  There should be a discount on the 90 days as you are making a larger committment to PM then a 30 day plan.

pakmode

Good plan. 

Jorno

@stonechucker wrote:

Also noticed, 90 day 'data info' has the LTE at the top, while 3G is now at the bottom.

Keep an eye out!

Do you see this reversal on the plans page or in the self-serve account?  For me, when selecting "Build your own plan"

- the plans page lists 3G options first and then LTE options for both 30 and 90-day plans

- self-serve, 30-day plans lists LTE options first, then 3G options, then one final LTE option

- self-serve, 90-day plans lists 3G options first and then LTE options

smp99

Hi 

smp99

@CalvinW wrote:

CalvinW

smp99

From what I can see, the 3G plans, Cda wide = Prov Wide calling. So I assume all of the Prov Wide rules (what province am I in, etc ) are gone. Finally. 

2 people I know on $135/12GB 3G plan are switching today (on next renewal) 

I wish they would just make all plans Cda wide. Small steps. In the right direction as well

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

@luckee7, Hi there! 

No you won't! 🙂 

youbme

@luckee7 wrote:

If I change to the Canada Wide $90 1.5gb (from Provincial) plan will I lose my 400 minutes addon?

No, your addon will carryover.

luckee7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If I change to the Canada Wide $90 1.5gb (from Provincial) plan will I lose my 400 minutes addon?

youbme

@Jonavin, that is a good point and why I still prefer the 90 day plan.

I think this is a good move to make the price points the same for 30 or 90 day plans as it will draw in more customers who can't afford to pay up front and were put off by paying higher prices due to that. I already have at least two friends might now be interested in PM because of this change (and the Canada-wide calling).

Jonavin

If you can afford to pay in advance, the 90 day plans are still better because the data rolls over for 3 months. It gives you more flexibility in how you use your data if you don't always use the same amount every month.

youbme

@mimmo wrote:

@Brooke_C Great to see some changes with positive feedback.

It seems ( that the /30days prices are the same for 30 and 90 day 3g plans) 

the 30 day plans appear to have been reduced by $2/30 while the/90day plans remained the same price.

90 day provinical, international text + 1gb data = $35

90 day provinical, international text + 1gb data = $105 /3 =$35 

there is no incentive to get a 90 day plan.  Is this by design?

Note that the $35/30day plan includes autopay reward (actual cost is $37), so the 90 day plan is actually $99 after autopay or $33/30 days.

EDIT: Nevermind! I spoke too soon - you are correct @mimmo, very bizarre indeed.

Jonavin

Great option for emergency and low use phones for kids. I just added a new line because of this plan.

I do want to say that a text add-on option is desirable. Please bravo this post if you agree.

@mimmo, I noticed this too, and wonder if all changes have not been put through yet.

Also noticed, 90 day 'data info' has the LTE at the top, while 3G is now at the bottom.

Keep an eye out!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Brooke_C Great to see some changes with positive feedback.

It seems ( that the /30days prices are the same for 30 and 90 day 3g plans) 

the 30 day plans appear to have been reduced by $2/30 while the/90day plans remained the same price.

90 day provinical, international text + 1gb data = $35

90 day provinical, international text + 1gb data = $105 /3 =$35 

there is no incentive to get a 90 day plan.  Is this by design?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Always great to see more promos. Can't wait to see more LTE offers 🙂

Just want to point out that the changes made with the 3G plans are mostly with the Canada-wide talk. Take a look at the 1.5GB province-wide plan on 90 days costs the same when you pick Canada-wide talk. 

Need Help? Let's chat.