cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Pilot] Certified Pre-Owned Phones Now Available at Public

Jess_D
Customer Support Agent

Hey Community, 

Over the years, Public Mobile has committed to providing affordable wireless service for Canadians on the country's best network. We’ve primarily focused on providing wireless service, but now we are excited to announce that we are piloting Certified Pre-Owned phones! Each phone is backed by a 1-year limited warranty and includes a $0 Public Mobile SIM. This launch is a direct result of the feedback you all have shared with us over time around how we can make the Public Mobile experience better. Over the next few months we will be testing this out to see what customer response is like and how we can optimize our processes.

Starting today you’ll be able to purchase a Certified Pre-Owned Phone online only. Our Certified Pre-Owned phones are refurbished phones that are tested, inspected, fixed, cleaned and re-packaged to look and function like-new. Because of this, we are able to offer our phones at a price you and your wallet will love. Please note, we do not offer financing on these phones.  

Inventory of these devices is limited, so if you’re interested make sure to act fast! We’ll constantly be adding new devices to the catalogue as they become available and removing those that are out of stock.

These phones are available for purchase only on our website so make sure to check it out! There are only a handful of Samsung Galaxy S10s as a launch special - be sure to act fast before they are gone.

For more information on Certified Pre-Owned phones, please visit our Help Articles

Are you going to be purchasing one of our Certified Pre-Owned phones? Let us know below!

-The Public Mobile Team

172 REPLIES 172

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Enjoy those certified pixel's 😂

Screenshot_20210116_160850.jpg

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv  ya you're right! Some people either don't care about their wallet or just in la la land. Some likely (not all) are probably the ones that sign up for telemarketing offers 😂.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

Shame on PM for these crazy prices.

@Jb456 I think it's more shame on the people who pay those prices. If they are willing to pay it why shouldn't PM charge it?

@computergeek541  the prices are horrible lol. Refurbished G7 for $500. Ya ok!

Costco currently has brand new G8X thinq. 128 gig phone. For $430. Not refurbished junk.

Screenshot_20201222_060303.jpg

PM prices as just as inflated like their sister Koodo. Koodo still has the Moto G fast marked at $275. When at Costco it's $149.99 most of the time.

Shame on PM for these crazy prices.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

The ebay ones weren't rebrands really either, that's the thing. It was a clone but with lousier quality parts. But at first it looks like a duck and smells like a duck so you think it's a duck. Only after some playing around with settings and stuff do you realize anything might be off. For example this one I got was supposed to be oled but it wasn't. But it takes a while to see all these little things

Clones/counterfeits have cheaper parts but they also have the wrong software. If wrong parts are used like CPU, the software from the legit model won't work.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The ebay ones weren't rebrands really either, that's the thing. It was a clone but with lousier quality parts. But at first it looks like a duck and smells like a duck so you think it's a duck. Only after some playing around with settings and stuff do you realize anything might be off. For example this one I got was supposed to be oled but it wasn't. But it takes a while to see all these little things

@Korth wrote:

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Question...  is there a way of proving that the main flagship models, like say the Samsung s10, are not in fact fakes?

These phones are refurbs from Telus.

They're not rebrands from eBay or Alibaba.

And they have a 100-day warranty.

Along with the non-negotiable return/refund/exchange period required by Canadian Consumer Law.

The warranty period of these phone is 1 year.  Also, stores/businesss/retailers do not have to take back merchandise and issue a refund unless there's something wrong with it.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Question...  is there a way of proving that the main flagship models, like say the Samsung s10, are not in fact fakes?

These phones are refurbs from Telus.

They're not rebrands from eBay or Alibaba.

And they have a 100-day warranty.

Along with the non-negotiable return/refund/exchange period required by Canadian Consumer Law.

Lorca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

These phones are old returns from Koodo and Telus. Definitely genuine.

The phones are certified pre-owned and have been inspected and tested.  Also they have a one year warranty.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/certified-pre-owned-phones

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Not meaning PM would knowingly fake us out, but more referring to accidentally. 

My last one, s7, I bought direct from the manufacturer, but the one before that from eBay... And in time noticed more and more signs of cheaply made parts and worse performance than another device I had with worse stats... but naturally by the time I put this all together it was way too late for the refund window

Just wondered how they are being weeded out, which I'm hoping  they are 🙂

@Korth wrote:

I now notice, almost two months later, that PM's selection of phones has changed up a little.

And I notice that some of their prices seem more reasonable than before.

The only phone that has dropped in price is the Samsung Galaxy S10 by $15. The Samsung Galaxy S8 has actually went up in price by $20, and the LG G7 One price, in my opinion, is simply terrible. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I now notice, almost two months later, that PM's selection of phones has changed up a little.

And I notice that some of their prices seem more reasonable than before.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@yen  you're very welcome! 

yen
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thank you for helping me!!!

I did change SIM card and now it is working... I cut the old one unfortunately but never mind.

You guys are awesome!!! 

I am still waiting moderator and you solved my problem in a flash!! 🙂

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@yen then follow my instructions on my other posts to you to change your sim card number to the new sim you have.

yen

too late I did it....:-(

No service now

@yen  don't start cutting things to much of a hassle. You have a new sim card. Click change sim card on your account.

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

Throw old one away. Put new on in the phone. keep the pieces of new one incase you need to go to a bigger sim in future.

easy peasy 🙂

NO don’t cut it. 

Check this out. https://youtu.be/xwNoIXxPDDg

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@yen wrote:

It is what I thought to change one chip to the new phone. But it seems I cannot punch the old one to get a nano. Just wondering if I can cut it with a scissor? I am scared I damage it.

If you cannot punch out follow @Jb456 instructions and go into self service and choose Change Sim Card.

yen

It is what I thought to change one chip to the new phone. But it seems I cannot punch the old one to get a nano. Just wondering if I can cut it with a scissor? I am scared I damage it.

@yen 

The new SIM card that came with the phone is your new SPARE. As said put your EXISTING/CURRENTLY ACTIVATED  SIM in your new phone. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@yen  You still have your old sim from old phone? It is likely 3 hole punch. Which means if sim card is to big slightly push on the card and it will pop out to the smaller nano SIM.

Put in new phone and you're good to go. Use the new sim to give to someone else as it's not activated.

If you want to use the new sim. Log into your account and click change sim card.

Green arrow on picture below. 

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@yen wrote:

Thanks for replying but that is not a problem

I got the nano chip card with the phone included. The issue is I need to have my line transfer to the Certified Pre-owned phone. My line is still associated to the previous "old phone". How can I transfer my line to the Certified Pre-owned phone?

All you need to do is take the PM  sim card out of your old phone and put it in the new one phone. If you are going to nano size can you punch out your original sim to get to nano?

Other way is to go into self service and choose Change Sim Card.

yen

Thanks for replying but that is not a problem

I got the nano chip card with the phone included. The issue is I need to have my line transfer to the Certified Pre-owned phone. My line is still associated to the previous "old phone". How can I transfer my line to the Certified Pre-owned phone?

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@yen wrote:

I bought a phone with PM, I have my service with you since many years. Both phones have different chip card size. I reached a moderator and asked how to get the service transfer to my Certified Pre-owned Phone but no follow up so far. 

You just need to put your sim card into the new phone. To go to a smaller size can you punch out?

Current PM sim cards are 3 in one size. If going to a bigger size buy a sim adapter or go to a mobile shop and they should be able to give you an adapter for free.

144EF3A5-FF95-4059-95F7-C8FCBA06C5E2.png

yen

I bought a phone with PM, I have my service with you since many years. Both phones have different chip card size. I reached a moderator and asked how to get the service transfer to my Certified Pre-owned Phone but no follow up so far. 

rliu1993
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The phones are so-so, not too attractive.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I do not understand why the LG G7 One is $500 when the Samsung S8 is being sold for $380 they both share near identical specifications and if one must argue which is more favourable the Samsung S8 would win.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv 

Battery status was discussed in a few posts on page 2 of this thread.

Short version is that battery electrochemistry degrades over time, it gradually holds less power each time it's fully charged, it has a practical lifespan based on how many charge/discharge cycles it can endure. These refurb phones should have at least enough recharge cycles left on the battery to provide another year of use - and if they don't then they should be repaired, replaced, or refunded within the one year warranty.

Users (and refurb technicians) can use battery monitoring software to examine detailed battery specs. The batteries themselves have an onboard regulator chip which stores this information.

Users can order replacement batteries (even for "non-replaceable" batteries) from DIY services like iFixit. Although this extra $25-$50+ cost often offsets the appeal of discounted refurb prices.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/the-refurbished-tech-products-you-should-avoid/

Need Help? Let's chat.