Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture and Group Messaging End Date | Feb 14

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

Starting February 14th, 2024, select customers may be required to update either their settings or upgrade their device to continue using Multimedia Messaging Service, better known as MMS without interruption. 

Who is affected by this change?
Customers may be affected if:

• The most recent software update from the manufacturer has not been installed
  • Devices are no longer supported by the manufacturer’s software updates
  • Devices are purchased outside Canada

You will be contacted to upgrade their device. 

For more information on how to update your settings (IOS & Android) or device recommendation to ensure compatibility, review this Help Article. 

What is MMS?
Multimedia Messaging Service is the way mobile devices send and receive pictures, videos and group conversations across networks.

MMS is supported across phone manufacturers and operating systems on nearly all phone models that have data capabilities. MMS messages are sent through your normal messaging app that sends and receives text messages. 

Note: Third-party messaging services, such as Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp, that have picture, video and group message features are not affected by this change.

What do I do if I get an email saying I need a new or replacement device?
As our network evolves, older devices (usually from 2015 or earlier) may require replacement. Rest assured, your voice, SMS, and data services will not be impacted by this change. We regularly make network updates to ensure our customers are kept up-to-date with the latest security and software updates from manufacturers. 

If you’re interested in continuing to use picture and group messaging services we have partnered with Mobile Klinik to bring you top-quality Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) phones that are tested and inspected by expert technicians to work like new at a fraction of the cost. With over 150 store locations across Canada, and an online website, Mobile Klinik offer's convenient access to a wide selection of refurbished devices that are backed by a 1 year warranty.

- The Public Mobile Team 

98 REPLIES 98

mcdougal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you for this notice. I got the email as well. Mine said I just needed to update settings, which I've done at length- updated, double checked entries, rebooted, tested, deleted all settings and made new from scratch, rebooted, tested, etc., and cannot get MMS to work with the new settings. Still working fine on the old settings, but I need to sort this out before Feb 14.

I use a Oneplus 5T. I use this because it works with my operating system, Ubuntu Touch, and would (with sadness) switch mobile service providers before switching to iOS or Android.

As a business owner, I don't see not having MMS as an option so long as people can send me a photo message that I'll never see, and that they'll never know I didn't see.

keepasa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would assume switching MMS to RCS would then cause data to be counted towards your monthly limit?  I know that data used by MMS shows up on the usage history but isn't actually counted towards your data limit.  However with using RCS, it would be a different story .  Unless there's a special way to configure the RCS app to use similar IP's and ports as in MMS?   For example in Android's Google messages app (supports MMS & RCS)?

Whiskeyruncrew
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Apple have been vague as to when in 2024 and it doesn’t appear they are supporting the same version of RCS as an android 

hi @PhoneHome8932 trouble is not everyone use RCS and it is only within Android 

PhoneHome8932
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Public Mobile members can enable RCS in our android messages app. This would replace MMS. It uses a bit of your Data or Wifi but works over the internet around the world. Away from the Telus network both parties would need to have RCS enabled.

https://nativemsg.com/resources/what-is-rich-messaging/

https://support.google.com/messages/answer/9487020?hl=en#zippy=%2Cwhat-are-rcs-chats%2Cwhat-happens-...

Apple is going to support RCS in 2024 too.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-is-rcs-messaging/

abtest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The list of supported devices doesn't even include the Samsung S20 series.  They were released in 2020.  How can they not be supported?

@computergeek541 wrote:

I don't see this as changing anything.  Many devices not purchased from Telus still have to have the APN settting manually entered, regardless.  In the vast majority of cases, the settings are very easily adjustable.  I believe that the way that Public Mobile forces custoemers to use the app is a much larger issue as that app won't work on older phones (even though the device actually works on the service itself).  I do believe that many of the affected devices that would need have the APN settings change for MMS likely are no longer in use as the batteries would no longer be holding a good charge.

Agreed, since joining the community in 2016, I have seen many customers coming here to get advice on APN settings.  The takeaway should be that new APN settings are being rolled out and some devices might need manual intervention.  Buying new hardware is a pretty brute force solution.  

I don't see this as changing anything.  Many devices not purchased from Telus still have to have the APN settting manually entered, regardless.  In the vast majority of cases, the settings are very easily adjustable.  I believe that the way that Public Mobile forces custoemers to use the app is a much larger issue as that app won't work on older phones (even though the device actually works on the service itself).  I do believe that many of the affected devices that would need have the APN settings change for MMS likely are no longer in use as the batteries would no longer be holding a good charge.

Need Help? Let's chat.