cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online SIM delivery may be delayed until Canada Post’s service backlog has cleared

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

While the Canada Post rotating strike has ended, delivery continues to be delayed due to their backlog of mail and parcels. This means that any SIM cards you purchase online with us may take longer than the typical 3-7 business days.  With this in mind, you may want to purchase your SIM card at  one of our participating retailers that is closest to you. To find out where our retail partners are located, click here.

As more information becomes available, we will be sure to keep you in the loop!

If you have any questions, let us know by posting below.

-Public Mobile Community Team

69 REPLIES 69

Poogzley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I can't believe this is still an ongoing issue 🤦‍♂️ 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kenifana- I think you are out of luck.  When a promotion ends, it ends.  There is currently no way to lock in the promotional rate unlest the account is set up and active. There are always new promotions.  Hopefully the next one will be to your liking, and you can take advantage of it.

kenifana
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I ordered 3 sims cards a while back to get the deal for me, my roommate, and my girlfriend... just got them yesterday.

So no deal for us now?

animal41

no i am not in remote area  no big deal i went in to london drugs and bought a couple more they will show up some time in the near future i hope 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@animal41, that works out to about 4 working days.  Are you in a remote area?  If it doesn't show up within the next few days, I would contact the moderators via private message and see what the next step is.  From what I have heard, Canada Post is pretty much caught up with their backlog.

animal41

i ordered 2 sim cards dec 26 got email dec 27 said they were shipped but still no sim cards 

still waiting 

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This thread can probably get taken off of the main front community page

mrnordino

Not sure if this would relate to my issue at all, but I ordered a sim card back in november and I still haven't received it. I got an order confirmation in an email, I have a receipt and everything, but no sim card. I even tried phoning Public Mobile which was no help as I need a public mobile phone number to speak to somebody. pressed 0 and everything, no help. this might just be a big confusion and maybe the canada post strike affected my order? not sure. But I can't do anything until I have an account, which I can't create because I don't have a public mobile phone number....

Thanks!

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Zhuoyu wrote:

My friend's card is delayed. She got it today and the $25 promotion is over. Sad.

@Zhuoyu if your meaning the online 25$ referral it is still ongoing until jan 1 2019

Zhuoyu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My friend's card is delayed. She got it today and the $25 promotion is over. Sad.

@BobS, stand up to them.  Public Mobile states you are to be able to purchase a SIM at any of the retailers.

If Wal-mart flunky (the 3rd party I understand) won't let you do it, get management involved.

Public Mobile has been clear about the retailers. Originally, they were only to sell them.  Activating them is now a bonus for them, so the are reluctant to do so.

BobS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Thanks @Brooke_C, hopefully people won't run into issues at Walmarts if they are just wanting to purcahse a sim and activate at home online

I tried buying a SIM card from Walmart because I knew that I wouldn't get my Sim in the mail before the $25/$25 offer expired.  The guy at Walmart said I was unable to purchase the SIM.  I would have to get them (Walmart) to switch me over.  So no $25 credit for me.  I also switched over 2 family members as well, but Walmart insisted on setting them up to!

@GracePrime wrote:

Hi! I'm new to the community post but have been a customer of Public Mobile for some time.

I would kindly like to know if I retain my cell's original number when I purchase a new sim card? If so what is the process or the steps I must take to keep my number?

Here's some general information about number portability from a phone service industry association that you might be interested in:

https://www.cwta.ca/for-consumers/wireless-number-portability/

GracePrime

Thanks so much for prompt reply ab Test Mayor/Maire! I appreciate it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GracePrime- If you need to get a new SIM because the old one you have doesn't fit in a new phone, or if the old phone was lost with the SIM in it, you definitely KEEP your number when you change your SIM.

Just log into your self serve portal,  then choose the change SIM option(its under the Plan and Add-Ons section).

GracePrime

Hi! I'm new to the community post but have been a customer of Public Mobile for some time.

I would kindly like to know if I retain my cell's original number when I purchase a new sim card? If so what is the process or the steps I must take to keep my number?

britmotley

🙂 great thread

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Cinjin  you can always buy one at  a retail locatiions (walmart superstore, wow mobile kmobile, london drugs( if you wnat to leave your current provder  sooner than later, that way you can also take advantge of the 25+25 promo and use teh one in the mail to refer other people.

Cinjin

I got it yesterday and got everything setup 🙂

lukealex121
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I’m sure it’s on the way, I just ordered another SIM to add another line to my account and it’s taking much longer than my first because of the CPC strike. 

And not getting a tracking number is normal, you never get one, even though it’s sent with one 😛

Cinjin

Ok thanks I assume it's enroute then. I also assumed they just email you the tracking number once it was shipped. I am eager to switch from my current expensive provider.

@Cinjin wrote:

I can understand that but I don't think it's even been shipped yet and it's been like 4 days. Since they haven't sent me a tracking number.

Sim cards are shipped with a tracking number on the envelope but there's no sense in waiting for a tracking number because Public Mobile system is not set up to provide it to you.  I'm sure you could get it from the moderators, but tracking isn't something that's automatically provided. 

Even with the tracking number, I highly doubt anyone at Public Mobile is going to file an insurance claim over $10. Depending on how long Public Mobile would be on hold to file that insurance it claim, it could actually cost the company more to get than $10 to get that processed, never mind the fact that sim cards don't cost Public Mobile anywhere close to $10.  If your sim card doesn't arrive within a reasonable amount of time, send a private message to Moderator_Team, and I'm almost certain that they'll just take your word for it and have another sent.

Although it’s sent by CanadaPost ExpressPost, there is no tracking number.  It’s more or a priority first class mail.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cinjin, I would give it a few more days, and after that, PM the moderators and ask about it.  That said, there are always promos going on.  Many of the in-store promos include free SIM.  Might be worth your while, depending on what plna you are interested in.

Cinjin

I can understand that but I don't think it's even been shipped yet and it's been like 4 days. Since they haven't sent me a tracking number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cinjin, considering the Canada Post strike, I would guess that deliveries would be delayed.  See this article from about a month ago:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Online-SIM-delivery-may-be-longer-than-...

Cinjin

On November 26th I got an email saying my order is being prepared. After that I got no email or tracking number for the simcard. Any idea if it shipped or when it's going to ship ? 

@kav2001c wrote:

Canada Post has basically said no regular delivery and no backlog clearout until around Feb 2019 (ASSUMING the workers do not mess around, lots of news stories about civil disobediance)

Really at this point get the SIM in store and save yourself the headache

We need to start a thread about how useless unions are in todays world.... Cat LOL

Canada Post and the uniion have been arguing about how bad the backlog is, with the union saying that it is exxagerated.

I have no idea of the inner workings of the post office, but I can say that at least as someone who receives mail and packages, and occassionally sends packages, I haven't found the delays to be that big of a deal.

Receiving mail, I've found that that bills are coming in a little late, but we're talking maybe about 4 or 5 days or so later than normal, but still within enough time to be able to pay on time (assuming I haven't already checked on any balance owing myself already). 

For packages, I've noticed maybe only a 1 or 2 day delay.  We're talking about packages that are supposed to take 1 day taking 2 or 3 instead.  But, I would say that I don't believe that's entire because of backlog, but rather just because that some of the Canada Post plants were closed for 2 days at a time.   One outgoing package that I sent from Toronto to Vancouver took 8 business days instead of the normal 4 business days (so about a week extra). 

Even if the projections of backlogs not being cleared until January or February are accurate, that does not necessarily mean that you are going to receive your mail or packages one or two months late.  The amount of delay could be only a few days (as what I'm experiencing), but it's just that Canada Post expects that it will only be in the new year that the few day delay will be cleared.  That assumes that workers aren't doing anything silly such as throwing the new mail and packages on top of the old stuff, and the stuff is still being processed in order received.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kav2001c wrote:
We need to start a thread about how useless unions are in todays world.... Cat LOL

How about here.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Canada Post has basically said no regular delivery and no backlog clearout until around Feb 2019 (ASSUMING the workers do not mess around, lots of news stories about civil disobediance)

Really at this point get the SIM in store and save yourself the headache

Need Help? Let's chat.