cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Province-Wide Calling Plans + Limited-Time Offer on Canada-Wide Calling Plans

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

[Edited: Feb 16, 3:45PM EST]

Hey Community, 

Public Mobile is introducing some changes to our suite of rate plans. Effective February 16, 2021, we will offer two types of plans: plans that include Province-wide minutes, and plans that include unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The Canada-wide calling plans will be priced at an additional $5/month, compared to the Province-wide calling plans.  All of our plans will continue to offer Canada-wide data and unlimited international texting.

We never take the decision of changing our plans lightly.  That's why, for a limited time, we’re offering our Canada-wide plans at a $5 discount. That means customers who value Canada-wide calling can still access these plans at the original prices before they change. 

The introduction of a Province-wide calling plan comes as a result of our commitment to give you more options on features and provide savings to help you create and customize the plan that’s right for you.  If you don't value Canada-wide calling, you can still access our plans starting at $15 per month.  If you value Canada-wide calling, it will continue to be available for an additional $5 per month. 

See below for more details on our new plans: 

New province-wide calling plans: 

Province-Wide Calling

Monthly Rate

Province-wide Minutes

Data (*with 500MB Autopay)

$15

100 Minutes

250MB

$25

Unlimited

1GB*

$35

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$40

Unlimited

5GB*

$45

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$50

Unlimited

8.5GB

For more information on how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article.

Concurrent with this launch, we are offering $5 off all Canada-wide rate plans for a limited time. 

Canada-wide calling plans:

*Current promotion: $5 off Canada-wide plans for a limited time

Canada-wide Calling

Monthly Rate

(*Promotion price)

Canada-wide Minutes

Data (*with 500MB Autopay)

$30 $25*

Unlimited

1GB*

$40 $35*

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$45 $40*

Unlimited

5GB*

$50 $45*

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$55 $50*

Unlimited + U.S. Talk

8.5GB

How to change your plan: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select your preferred plan. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

FAQ’s:

What happens to existing customers’ plans?

There is no impact to existing customers' plans. All customers’ plans will be grandfathered, including those who had scheduled rate plan changes before this update. Note, if you change your plan you may not be able to go back to your previous plan if it is no longer available on our website. 

What is happening to the $15 plan?

All plans in the Canada-wide suite have unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The $15 limited talk plan will remain in the Province-wide suite and will have 100 Province-wide minutes with 250MB of AutoPay data bonus.

Can I buy an add-on with Canada-wide calling?

Yes, we currently have a $5 for 500 Canada-wide minutes add-on available which you can purchase in Self-Serve.

How does Province-wide Calling work?

For more information on province-wideon how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article

To learn more about Public Mobile plans, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

641 REPLIES 641

@Anonymous 

Then I gaze upon your Big Data with admiration and respect. A purely Platonic and non-envious gaze, of course.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth : I'm a very low usage customer. Like many people, these days even more so. My main account has about 21gb of data. I bought 2 - 1gb's and 1 - 200mb. The rest are gifts or compensation.

My "data" account started out with 6gb and then I dropped it down to the $10 plan and then through gifts and usage I still have 7gb there and still have some of the original 5gb that I got the account for.

My "dormant" account started out on the $15 plan and then I dropped it down too but it still has 6gb all from gifts.

I'm not hurting for data.

Bragging rights...yup 🙂

@Korth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

$10 plan baby!! Add-ons galore! Full 4G LTE speed!  🙂

But is that "Full 4G LTE speed" really worth anything more than bragging rights?

$10 plan has no data.

Or maybe it has 250MB bonus data with AutoPay? If so, Full 4G LTE speed could burn through it in less than 5 minutes then leave you dry for the rest of the 30-day billing cycle.

The $10 price plan does not include data, with or without the use of autopay.

@Anonymous wrote:

But is that "Full 4G LTE speed" really worth anything more than bragging rights?

$10 plan has no data.

Or maybe it has 250MB bonus data with AutoPay? If so, Full 4G LTE speed could burn through it in less than 5 minutes then leave you dry for the rest of the 30-day billing cycle.

It might also have data add-ons attached. The free/gift data add-ons are always awesome, but once they're gone they're gone. While purchased add-ons are $15 per GB, not cheap if you consume your GBs at Full 4G LTE speed, a "3G speed" plan with more GB would cost less.

@Korth 

Now that's somethin' I didn't know about....

@Anonymous 

Yes I've gots me one of those....

@darlicious @LurganIeUk 

/ My Settings

// Preferences

/// Linear Layout

//// Linear Format: Posts per page when viewing a topic

... max value is 50 ... much less clicking between Previous/Next pages on a large thread.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

Weird it won't let me go to page 44....lol!

I guess you need a Mac. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 9.00.26 PM.png

@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

Come to think about this....pm might lose some money on this.....

1. $15 plan +$5/500 min add on+$15/1gb=$35                                                                                        Free incoming/outgoing texts, free incoming calls, 100 province-wide outgoing calls, 250mg of plan data+over 8 hours of canada-wide (roll-over)calling add on +1gb (roll-over)data add on
  2. $25 plan - Unlimited incoming/outgoing texts, province-wide calling +1gb plan data
  3. $30 plan - Unlimited incoming/outgoing texts, canada-wide calling + 1gb plan data

Since most people don't even come close to using that much talk unless you use most if not all of your plan data you would be way better off using the #1 plan suggestion.

It really all depends what you need:

Talk 

Text 

Data

$15 plan with:

100 Min Canada Wide $5/500 min adding along with freebies

Unlimited texting which I rarely use

250 mb of Data which I am lucky to use 100MB with a 1gb add-on along with freebies

And one old LD for USA plus along with freebies. 

I am set!!!! I am Happy!!! 

I guess it depends on age and/or gender maybe. 

@LurganIeUk 

Weird it won't let me go to page 44....lol!

@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

1000 min ÷ 60 min = 16.6666666 hours + 100 plan minutes the same cost of of the $15 plan + add ons to equal the $25 unlimited province wide plan and "on sale" canada wide plan 'til it goes to $30.

@darlicious go back to page 44 last post. 

@darlicious wrote:

@59 

Does your mother have unlimited incoming and 100 outgoing canada wide minutes? The plan @dabr mentioned was only available briefly 2 years ago. Unless your mother talks for more than 16 hours on outgoing minutes in a 30 day period there is no reason to change plans. Just buy the $5/500 min add on 2 maybe 3 times a year depending on how much she likes to talk.

Log into your account and read your plan details from the overview page to determine what plan you are on and how much you are paying to see if you should change plans.

@LurganIeUk 

Come to think about this....pm might lose some money on this.....

1. $15 plan +$5/500 min add on+$15/1gb=$35                                                                                        Free incoming/outgoing texts, free incoming calls, 100 province-wide outgoing calls, 250mg of plan data+over 8 hours of canada-wide (roll-over)calling add on +1gb (roll-over)data add on
  2. $25 plan - Unlimited incoming/outgoing texts, province-wide calling +1gb plan data
  3. $30 plan - Unlimited incoming/outgoing texts, canada-wide calling + 1gb plan data

Since most people don't even come close to using that much talk unless you use most if not all of your plan data you would be way better off using the #1 plan suggestion.

Michael6
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thank you, but doesn't make it less nonsense.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. 

I see Telus Prepaid plan still has Canada Wide Calling. Did Telus ever announced that they are moving to provincial calling??

@LurganIeUk 

1000 min ÷ 60 min = 16.6666666 hours + 100 plan minutes the same cost of of the $15 plan + add ons to equal the $25 unlimited province wide plan and "on sale" canada wide plan 'til it goes to $30.

oh no... prepaid still provincial calling.. sad.. Koodo thoughtful review didn't think enough...

@Michael6 

As @farmbot stated in another thread all prepaid plans at Koodo still have the Provincial option.

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_PrepaidPlans

now, we are waiting for PM's thoughtful review... LoL

Michael6

“After thoughtful review, we have reintroduced unlimited Canada-wide calling and international messaging into all of Koodo’s in-market rate plans, in addition to having one set of price plans for Tab and BYOD. We are committed to developing products and services that provide customers with more choice, flexibility, and opportunities to save while maintaining simplicity, and we will continue to listen to customer feedback to deliver solutions that meet their needs.”

Read more at MobileSyrup.comCanada-wide calling returns to Koodo’s plans after ‘thoughtful review’

@Michael6 
really?? that would be good news.. how Kodoo says it?? saying due to the mass protests.... Lol, you have the link??

Michael6

Koodo backtracked on this ridiculous province wide non sense. 

Is public going to do the same? 

@darlicious wrote:

@59 

Does your mother have unlimited incoming and 100 outgoing canada wide minutes? The plan @dabr mentioned was only available briefly 2 years ago. Unless your mother talks for more than 16 hours on outgoing minutes in a 30 day period there is no reason to change plans. Just buy the $5/500 min add on 2 maybe 3 times a year depending on how much she likes to talk.

Log into your account and read your plan details from the overview page to determine what plan you are on and how much you are paying to see if you should change plans.

@darlicious 16 hours or 1.66?

@59 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@59 wrote:

I am looking for more current posts about this change and can only find posts from 3 weeks ago. I am still very confused. I have the 30 dollar plan which is now on sale for 25 dollars.

Should I cancel my account and get the same plan for 25 dollars? Will I keep unlimited canada wide.

Another question, I had my 90 year old mother subscibe to PM after she received her first cell

phone. Her plan is from NB and she only gets 100 canada minutes. That was all that was available a year ago. Can I have her account changed to an unlimited canada wide as she is a already a PM client?

@59   Sounds like you are on an older discontinued version of the $30 plan.  Yes just log into your account and select Change Plans and make sure to change to $25 Canada wide minutes plan (not $25 provincial).  Also select change at next renewal as PM doesn't offer refunds or proration and this will schedule a change of plan at your next renewal cycle.  This "sale" price can change anytime so you should act fast before the price increases by $5.

Which $15 plan does your mother have...does it include unlimited incoming mins or just 100 mins in/out?   You can definitely change her to the $25 plan too (Canada wide) or depending upon how much calling she requires, you can purchase the $5/500 mins add-on (which is Canada wide calls) to her plan.  That gives her calling mins when she has used up all the plan mins and any remaining mins from the add-on roll over every cycle until depleted like all domestic add-ons.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am looking for more current posts about this change and can only find posts from 3 weeks ago. I am still very confused. I have the 30 dollar plan which is now on sale for 25 dollars.

Should I cancel my account and get the same plan for 25 dollars? Will I keep unlimited canada wide.

Another question, I had my 90 year old mother subscibe to PM after she received her first cell

phone. Her plan is from NB and she only gets 100 canada minutes. That was all that was available a year ago. Can I have her account changed to an unlimited canada wide as she is a already a PM client?

@LurganIeUk 

Paying your bill in full means you accept the charges but you have 60 days to dispute the charges as long as you inform them or short your payment but that leaves you on the hook for any interest or late charges . Dammed (sp) if you do and dammed (sp) if you don't!

@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

Back in 1999 I had a spat with telus over my landline after a roommate rang up a $600 phone bill a few days before moving out. Unable to pay it all off at once I asked if I could pay $200 on my next 3 paydays and they refused. I told telus what I thought of them and promptly got a clearnet cell phone plan at $70 per month w/ 300 anytime minutes, free evenings and weekends and per second billing. All was good even after telus bought them out 'til 6 years later and some industrious up 'n comer found the outstanding bill from years before and they threatened to cut off my service. Lucky for me they only realized this 6 years and 29 days later.....28 days too long to legally make me pay it.

In about 2008/9 the $70 bill was ridiculousy high for my services so I phoned up telus and told the CSR I wanted to cut my bill in half. He laughed at me and sent me over to the loyalty deartment

Interesting they have 6 years to force you to pay up but I have heard that if there is a mistake that you over looked ie an over charge that they only give you 3 months to make a claim. (I think I heard 3 months). 

@LurganIeUk 

Back in 1999 I had a spat with telus over my landline after a roommate rang up a $600 phone bill a few days before moving out. Unable to pay it all off at once I asked if I could pay $200 on my next 3 paydays and they refused. I told telus what I thought of them and promptly got a clearnet cell phone plan at $70 per month w/ 300 anytime minutes, free evenings and weekends and per second billing. All was good even after telus bought them out 'til 6 years later and some industrious up 'n comer found the outstanding bill from years before and they threatened to cut off my service. Lucky for me they only realized this 6 years and 29 days later.....28 days too long to legally make me pay it.

In about 2008/9 the $70 bill was ridiculousy high for my services so I phoned up telus and told the CSR I wanted to cut my bill in half. He laughed at me and sent me over to the loyalty department. Well I emerged with by bill cut in half but I had to give up my per second billing and they would charge me $0.50 per minute for calls outside my local calling area. It remained like that til August 2019 when I agreed to change my plan for the same price and the same features but wih free provincial calling. When my bill came in it had gone from $35 to $50 a month ( with no data!) Combined with the loyalty department flat out refusing to give me my usual $10 a month credit for 12 months so I could upgrade my flip phone and instead wanted to charge me an extra $10 a month for two years for a new $89 phone I ported out to pm the next day.

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I have been wondering how well controlled PM is with:

Old Plans Grandfathered

Old Old Plans Grandfathered

New plans with Provincial only

Old/New plan with Canada Wide

Multiple plan prices

Old Add-Ons that are grandfathered. 

There's really only two kinds of plans.

The ones they offer now - which any new or existing customer can choose at any time.

And the ones they used to offer - which are all legacy plans nobody can choose anymore.

As far as I've observed, Public Mobile has always "grandfathered" all legacy plans. If you have a legacy plan then you can keep it indefinitely. Although eventually, after years, you'll likely switch away from it towards a better plan (whether it's offered by Public Mobile, or Telus/Koodo, or someone else).

The only "grandfathered" plans I've ever seen discontinued were the Pioneer plans. Which were basically inherited from pre-Telus Public Mobile. Even then, these circa-2012 plans were "grandfathered" until early-/mid-2018. And Public Mobile gave about three months notice before cancellation. And Public Mobile made efforts to migrate (ex-)Pioneer customers onto roughly equivalent newer plans.

Public Mobile could suddenly change their policies at any time. Our pre-paid "contracts" only obligate them to provide 30 days notice. Though I expect they would never do something so drastic after so many years, they'd seriously damage the brand and lose far too many customers. It seems reasonable to expect any plan available now will eventually be discontinued and "grandfathered" as a legacy plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.