cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW Knowledge Base Articles + Vote on Help Videos

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update: Thank you to everyone who took the time to vote for the top 3 KBA videos they think would have the biggest impact in making our customer experience better! The final results are in and…

DRUM ROLL PLEASE…

……

….

The top 3 videos we will focus on first, in order, are:

1. How to Get Help
  2. Self-Serve Account Management
  3. How to use your Phone & Plan Features

Hey Community,

You’ve given us feedback that the Knowledge Base (Help) Articles, our go-to guides for help and all things Public Mobile, needed some updating/improvements - so we’ve made some big changes to refresh the look and content. We’d love for you to check them out!

Here are some reasons why we think you’ll like them:

1. It can save you time. All the information on a particular topic is in one place, with answers that have the Public Mobile stamp of approval. They’re organized so that you can find the answer to your question in no time!
  2. They can help you, help others. Did you know our Community Rewards have increased, and now you can get up to $20/ 30 days? There’s never been a better time to sharpen up on your Public Mobile knowledge and start helping Community members!
  3. Learn how you can get your plan down to $0! These articles have all the information you need to know on how to take advantage of our 4 different Rewards so that you can get your plan down to $0!

To check out the full list of articles, click here. We look forward to hearing your feedback.

Now we need your help to go even further!

We’re so excited about the new Knowledge Base Articles that we decided to take it a step further and turn some into videos!

Earlier this year @will13am had brought up the idea of converting some of the Knowledge Base Articles into videos to make it easier for customers to learn more about Public Mobile. This idea came up again in the workshop we held in June and, now, we’re excited to begin bringing this idea to life.

Before we get started on creating the videos, we’re looking for feedback from YOU! Of the below KBAs, which 3 would you recommend we work on first? Please vote in the poll below. Additionally, please comment below if there are other elements to the videos that you think MUST be included. We have an initial list we’ve put together, but would appreciate hearing your thoughts as well. The last date to vote and share your feedback will be July 27th. Stay tuned for an update after then!

-Public Mobile Community Team

31 REPLIES 31

nishufan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Good idea. Already voted. Hope to see videos soon.Smiley Very Happy

@Alan_K for the poll, what's the difference between choice 2 and 5, Self-Serve Account Management and Community and Self-Serve Accounts? If you or one of the oracles (or someone else knowing the answer) could give more details, that would be helpful. I don't think there's enough of a distinction between the two to make an educated choice! Robot wink

dna2016

@Alan_K 

I have this suggestion based on my experience when I first started.  A video showing users how to change the Access Point on their cell phone to Public Mobile's credentials.  Not many users are user friendly and sometimes people don't know what to do, or where to go to get this information.  I think a short 1-2 minute video showing where to go in the phone settings (maybe one video for android users, and another for apple users) and then what information to input. 

When i first switched i wasn't able to receive texts or receive calls, and my data was not working.  As soon as I updated the credentials they started working, so maybe this will be useful for newcomers.

dna2016

Great to see PM reaching out to customers to find out what is best for us.  Unlike many companies that just assume what is best, nice to see a company that wants to truly hear from it's core customers.  Feedback is always good.  

@will13am awesome suggestion with the video, many people are visual learners, and providing this option is only going to make things that much simpler.    

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm excited to see this happen as I believe this will help some of the common questions that keep getting asked multiple times. I can't wait to see this launched in the future.

@Luddite:

Band numbers are not mentioned, which leads to confusion, especially for Band 4. People don't know if 2100 and 1700 are referring to one band or two. They also don't know that B1 is incompatible.

B7 and B30 are not mentioned at all.

The 700 MHz bands are not identified precisely. They are actually comprised of 4 different bands: B12, B13, B17, B29.

Minimum band requirements are not clearly identified. Obviously a lot will depend on user's location, but pretty much every site has at least one of the following bands per technology, so having them all on your phone would be my recommendation: UMTS B2, B5; LTE B4, B5, B12/17.

Mentioning the functionality of each technology would be beneficial as well. For example, 3G is mandatory for voice calls. SMS and data can be on either technology, but data is faster on LTE.

@sheytoon wrote:

@Alan_K, can we have an accurate and detailed explanation on phone compatibility with the network?

This is a question that comes up over and over again in the forums, but the official info from PM is out of date and inaccurate.

I'd be happy to contribute or review it for technical accuracy if it would be helpful.

I think the area needing proper detail is the LTE bands.  Saying that Public Mobile runs on 700 Mhz is not sufficient.  There are many LTE bands on so called 700 Mhz.  If you have useful information to share, I am sure it will be incorporated.  They are listening to us. 

@sheytoon Not sure what is out of date here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Getting-Started/ta-p/162?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Alan_K, can we have an accurate and detailed explanation on phone compatibility with the network?

This is a question that comes up over and over again in the forums, but the official info from PM is out of date and inaccurate.

I'd be happy to contribute or review it for technical accuracy if it would be helpful.

@makkahn28 wrote:

@will13am@Alan_K, I also do 100% agree, and I did say that when the Public Labs were in play, how Video would make the most sense, that would cut down on confusion and direct ppl in correct direction to correct or reassure ppl 

For once, we are in 100% total agreement!  For something like this, I totally believe that a video is worth 1000 words.  The new knowledge base updates are a huge improvement.  Still, there are lots of things that just don't lend themselves to discussion.  Yet in a video, they would be self evident.  We will find out soon enough how helpful they are to customers. 

@will13am@Alan_K, I also do 100% agree, and I did say that when the Public Labs were in play, how Video would make the most sense, that would cut down on confusion and direct ppl in correct direction to correct or reassure ppl 

Shaheer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Making videos is an awesome idea! 

Additionally, why not create a "Starter Guide" set of videos that are then embedded in an e-mail sent to all new Public Mobile members upon sign up? These videos can address the changes they will face in a non-conventional service provider like PM, how they can handle them effectively and with ease, and the benefits of doing so.

The videos should first outline how to solve low level problems (ex., porting a number) by explaining the Mod System. New customers won't be able to just dial *611 anymore, so properly explaining to them to not worry because there is a group of authorized and adept individuals that can handle their issues in a timely manner will definitely be an important first step. Secondly, maybe the videos can explain the whole self-serve system and how to manage data (plus data notifications), add-ons, etc. Thirdly, it should outine the Public Mobile community by explainig that there exists a group of community members and trusted members of that community (outside of mods) that are incentivized to positively contribute and that have positively contributed to that community. The final video should be about the Reward System; what it is, how it works, and why, they, as new members (and the community as a result) will benefit by taking part in it.

Ultimately, the point of these "Starter Guide" videos should be to first allay any fears about a self-serve service provider like Public Mobile, instill in new members that it isn't hard to handle things yourself or to have your problems solved, and that there is an awesome positive reinforcement system in place that creates a net benefit to the community making sure that any problems will always receive the best effort in being solved.

In my honest opinion, you want to market the 4 foregoing videos as much as possible. I still have friends that ask me if PM just like Freedom. The perception is still there. Maybe make the "Starter Guide" videos on the landing page along with some other essential videos instead of in the embedded e-mail. Maybe do both? This would probably convert a tonne of on-the-fence users to join PM. Obviously, then just fix the structural issues (by creating a mobile friendly self-serve page as just one example) and don't jack up plan prices and I honestly belive no one will consider it even slightly logical to be on any other network besides Public Mobile.

TLDR? Diminish customers' fears in a self-service provider through good marketing via your videos, consolidate website structure engendering ease of use and reduction of new problems in the first place, and keep the plans as competitive as they are now! I know this post was all about videos but all these aspects tie in to the greater experience. Regardless, good luck with everything! Can't wait to see how it's all implemented.

jt17g
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

voted ! 🙂

FeeFieFoe
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It's great that the knowledgebase experts are adding in videos and spiffing up the content. Kudos! A suggestion - add a table of contents for the topics and videos, with icons to show which items are video. 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Just took a spin through the new and improved knowledge base and have to say it is great AND easy to get where you need to go. Thanks PM 😁

doe
@Alan_K wrote:

Hey Community,

You’ve given us feedback that the Knowledge Base (Help) Articles, our go-to guides for help and all things Public Mobile, needed some updating/improvements - so we’ve made some big changes to refresh the look and content. We’d love for you to check them out!

-Public Mobile Community Team

@CS_Agent

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/tkb-p/knowledge_base - 10 pages of links to topics? do you believe that's efficient? As soon as I opened this I understood I would have to spend a lot of time reading through all that should I ever like to do that.

There is at least huge duplication there, and some topics are not obvious.

Duplication in names:

1. How to get help

2. How to contact moderators

3. PM Moderators team

4. How to contact PM

5. PM Community

6. How to use Community

7. Becoming Community member and posting messages

8. Community and Self-Serve accounts

9. Self-Serve account management

10. What is PM, why PM

11. Getting started

Why not having just 2-3 topics instead of that mess?

Customers are not interested in tools, they are interested in meeting their needs.

So topics that are not obvious don't worth to exist, they simply increase mess. That said, customers are not interested in Moderators, they are interested in getting help, so I believe KB topic should be named as "Getting help" not "Contacting Moderators" etc. Only inside topics it worth describing "you can get help: 1) through community 2) by contacting moderators. Here's how:"

CherylKirby

I LOVE the idea of videos! Sometimes reading seems to put the emphasis in the wrong direction. Being able to see is so much better than reading for me and probably many others, especially those who aren't tech savvy!  This will drop customers already low frustration to almost nill! Thanks!

JL9
Mayor / Maire

This sounds amazing and should streamline everything....can you say efficient 😁

@mtfolksdoes have a point

It might be too technical for some, but the 3G plans are so misunderstood they would make a great video to watch for new clients

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Someone_here Ah, thanks! So it’s there but kind of buried. 

@will13am wrote:

@mtfolks wrote:

Any reason there isn’t a post on the differences between 3g and LTE plans? Or is it buried somewhere?

It is worthwhile to tag @Alan_K and ask that it be put on the to do list for inclusion in one of the knowledge base articles.

See me previous post 😉

EDIT

Actually, it's right here (Plans & Add-Ons): 

In this article you will learn all about our plans and Add-Ons, including:

• The differences between 30-day and 90-day plans.
  • 3G versus 4G LTE speeds, and which one’s right for you.
  • Common data speed questions.
  • How Province-wide calling works.
  • How ‘limited’ Talk and Text plans work.
  • Our Add-Ons and how to purchase them.

@mtfolks wrote:

Any reason there isn’t a post on the differences between 3g and LTE plans? Or is it buried somewhere?

It is worthwhile to tag @Alan_K and ask that it be put on the to do list for inclusion in one of the knowledge base articles.

@mtfolks wrote:

Not sure about the knowledge base itself, but you may find some information about it here.

If you are not looking for information but rather pointing out that the info should be more obvious, I do agree 🙂 

--------------------------------

EDIT

Actually, it's right here (Plans & Add-Ons): 

In this article you will learn all about our plans and Add-Ons, including:

• The differences between 30-day and 90-day plans.
  • 3G versus 4G LTE speeds, and which one’s right for you.
  • Common data speed questions.
  • How Province-wide calling works.
  • How ‘limited’ Talk and Text plans work.
  • Our Add-Ons and how to purchase them.

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with @Someone_here. It's all very well to update all the information. But to still have fundamental issues outstanding unfixed is not entirely the best use of resources in my opinion. ie. automated password resets.

I believe these kinds of structural issues are not being displaced by this effort.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Alan_K, great to see my suggestion being turned into reality.  The advantage of video is the opportunity to include a narrative discussion of such things like tips and tricks, etc that would require a wall of words to describe.  I just saw a customer post about successfully purchasing an add-on but he was unsure whether the right add-on was registered to the account.  A video can do more than just go over the actual add-on purchasing process.  It can illustrate what the screens look like so customers can see the screens look like, before, during and after.  The Public Mobile YouTube channels is probably the best kept secret.  This will bring it back to life.  The combination of the the words in the knowlege base and the video should be a slam dunk.  We will have nothing left to do in the community forum but talk about the weather.    Smiley Tongue

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with @Someone_here. It's all very well to update all the information. But to still have fundamental issues outstanding unfixed is not entirely the best use of resources in my opinion. ie. automated password resets.

Good news and goo idea, thanks for updating the articles!

(but don't forget to also update the system, that will help even more, eliminating problems instead of finding better ways to solve them afterward 😉 )

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

This is a great idea, nice to see public mobile is always looking for ways to improve.

Need Help? Let's chat.