Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW $70 for 15GB Plan

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

Starting June 17, 2021, we are introducing a new $70 15GB plan!

What does this mean for you? 

For a limited time, existing customers can change their rate plan to the following:

• $70 per 30 days
  • 15GB + 500MB BONUS data at 3G speed (per 30 days)
  • 500MB BONUS data when you sign up for AutoPay (per 30 days)
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk and U.S minutes
  • Unlimited International Text

Important things to know: 

• Bonus data will expire if account becomes inactive or the rate plan is changed.
  • Previous promotions that have been applied to the account that have been indicated as ‘non-stackable’ will be removed when you switch to this plan. To see if a promotion you currently have applied to your account is ‘non-stackable’ please check the terms of that specific promotion.

How to get this offer: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$70 for 15GB + 500MB AutoPay Bonus”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile plans, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

142 REPLIES 142

it's fine...

Koodo is offering $80/15gb

it aligns with all the other plans with a $10 price gap. 

@LurganIeUk wrote:
  • Bonus data will expire if account becomes inactive or the rate plan is changed.

Does inactive mean if account is suspended?

AutoPay would have to fail for the plan to become inactive. And of course no AutoPay means no bonus data from AutoPay.

@barndoor 

A much higher data plan has been a wishlist request for a certain percentage of pm customers. I think it should be priced at $60/15.5gb it be more in line with the 5gb for $10 more when switching from the $40 plan to the $50 plan. Maybe pm will rethink its's pricing for this plan after testing the waters for interest. Or possibly they have researched their demographic of subscribers likely to switch and have discovered they are mostly reward earners in the $15+ range?

As far as @Luddite 's list of bugs and quirks there is really only a couple of glitches on that list. Whereas two years ago when I joined there were 6 more that have now been "fixed" and are either not on the list or exist in their "quirky" state. It's more of an FYI list now....with only a couple of things that still need fixing. Lol....I had to search thru my screenshots to find the original list that our fine senior oracle member kindly provided to me to have a leg up when helping others before I was able to file away all the bits and pieces of pm info in my onboard computer.

While pm is still searching for the cause, the fix or the cash to fix things like autopay failures (which happen at every provider) a lot of things here don't need to be fixed but customers simply need to learn how to manage their accounts. Its about education and yes as you like to point out better messaging and marketing of the meaning of online support and account self management. Customers need to know they are shopping at Home Depot not Crate and Barrel.

barndoor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

To cut to the chase here though  ... what is the purpose of new plans like this one ? ultimately is it to bring in new customers ? maintain old ones ?  fill an empty void and make a more complete plan list for the retail page ?  

If it is any or all of the above  I think they would get more bang for their buck if they acted on Luddite's ? list of known PM glitches .  Fix a bunch of them and I would actually feel comfortable recommending PM to a friend .  

stevenanto

Im happy that they are introducing new plans but it doesnt seem that competitive as compared to other carriers who offer more data at a lower cost and faster speeds. I think it would have been smart to introduce a promo when they launched the plan like getting X amount off if you switched over from another PM plan (as you're spending more) 

911 fees are set by each jurisdiction providing 911 dispatch services I believe. I think the most basic fee is from the Telco to cover off their cost of delivering calls along with he needed support info to identify locations etc. But I believe that the option is there for more fees to be tacked onto the Telco 911 fee including some of the costs of operating the dispatch facility. Various areas determine where the funding comes from. Why my Telus landline charge is 8c, my parents prepaid cell plans are 75c and some of the VOIP providers up to $2 is a mystery other than the fact that they can probably charge what they want and may have wide variations in the amounts they may have to forward to the 911 jurisdiction.

<edit> “Why are my in-laws and my mom on Telus Prepaid still?” 

Because I managed to get them on $3/30 day plans (plus 911 fee).

AE_Collector

@softech wrote:

911 charge is an interesting fee.. PM can call 911 but we don't have to pay

anyone remember the "good" old days of System Access Fee?  Mobile Giants made lots of money out of this.

Sure do. $6.95, $7.95, $8.95 a month on top of plan cost and the taxes. For quite awhile we thought it a “Government Fee” but eventually word got out that it was a Provider Fee to recover Government costs … which is huge. Eventually they rolled it into the plan cost…. To save printer ink no doubt. 🙂

AE_Collector

Yes, I understand that it's "included" in our plan.. "Lucky us"..

But I think charge like this should be all included.  To me, Surcharge is  just a fancy term of saying price increased.

911 fee is basically "Included" with your PM plan.

On Rogers wireless in SK, it was $1.95 I think up until I left ~1.5y ago... voip.ms charges about $2/mo as well...

There was a sask provincial mandate I think starting 2021 to increase 911 rates for the province...

Not that I don't want to pay, but I bet theres some 911 budget concerns with the increase in landline cord cutting....

911 charge is an interesting fee.. PM can call 911 but we don't have to pay

anyone remember the "good" old days of System Access Fee?  Mobile Giants made lots of money out of this.

The Telus prepaid plan 911 fee is 75c every 30 days. I don't know if that is the same as the postpaid plan 911 fee. My two Telus landlines each have an 8c / month 911 fee. 

AE_Collector

@srlawren 

Yeah yeah, all true. 911 fee is small peanuts, and probably true most fees can be avoided when done online.

Otherwise you have the usual "incidental" usage risks with postpaid service outside of "peace of mind" is premium texts, long distance calls to destinations outside your plan, 411, accidental international roaming (ie when close to US border)...

Basically the stuff I'm happy to be free of worrying about with PM....

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Nezgar wrote:

@softech wrote:

and as other discovered, Telus has better plan for $60 or $65.. LoL

Along with Telus' connection fee, 911 surcharge, risk of overages if not on an "unlimited" plan, etc...

@Nezgar sort of.  I believe they still waive the connection fee if you activate online. Do they even offer plans without the "peace of mind" feature any more, particularly anywhere near this $70 price point?  I can't speak to the 911 surcharge--how much does that add to your bill?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I appreciate the availability of this plan for reasons previously mentioned. While it may not be a typical PM bargain plan I don't mind paying a little too much for a month or two here or there to avoid having to go elsewhere to get more data. My only other option is the $15/1GB data add-on which could be much more expensive still. 

If this plan remains a regular offering I wouldn’t be surprised to see it become a little more competitive in the future. Maybe $60 or $65. 

AE_Collector

@softech wrote:

Along with Telus' connection fee, 911 surcharge, risk of overages if not on an "unlimited" plan, etc...

@prairiedogbob wrote:

Geez I haven't poked my head in for awhile and there are new plans. I suppose those young folk need all this data so public mobile is filling a need with this plan.

.. it is more like PM is dragged into this because both Lucky and Chatr have this plan.

This plan isn't for me as I have pretty much never needed more than 500MB a month, but if I was going away from Wifi for a month for an extended road trip, vacation or whatever it might be nice to know this is available to switch to for one month then back to the usual again afterwards...

prairiedogbob
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Geez I haven't poked my head in for awhile and there are new plans. I suppose those young folk need all this data so public mobile is filling a need with this plan.

barndoor

@Bilnok wrote:

I think for less you can have more with some plans. 

That all depends on your circumstances  doesn't it ?    As has been pointed out ..if the plan is what you need  and you are stuck on PM due to your rewards ..it may be the best way to go . That was one of the points that was  lauded about this place ... no contract ,lots of flexibiltiy . LOL..  all goes out the window when you get a bunch of accumulated rewards you may lose if you leave . 

Bilnok
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I think for less you can have more with some plans. 

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Slap on autopay/referral/ loyalty bonuses.. not a bad plan.. as the saying goes.. the more you get the more you want..sure beats the old days.. when you got a 1500$ bill for using your state of the art bag phone..or your blackberry Z10.. lmao

@Seawatersoul 

So you do have the 2gb of promo data...so then yes getting the moderators to renew your plan early is the way to go on that one. A little hiccup on the road but its a lesson learned. What is the make and model of your phone so we can set up that password. Then your data will last you 30 days without the bf having access.....lol I would love to watch him try to gain access again only to suddenly discover its password protected! With something clever too...w84itNeXtimea$$wipe!!

Hopefully you will get approved for the $9.95 internet then you can tell the bf you are hooking it up and his half of the bill is $40.

@Seawatersoul 

Well you have made my day with that reply! 

Seawatersoul
  • Mysterious 6 GB of data?!?! For real??? You a most kind, gentle and the most generous goddess 👑 I have met here by far and sound like the best kind of fabulous soul sista I'd def love to keep in my corner...I have just read your private email btw ...will reply and thank-you for reaching out... I wouldn't even know how to do that on my own so I truly appreciate it because I do have paralyzing anxiety and guess what...you calmed me down immediately and this feeling just came over me that everything was absolutely going to be alright and I just had to breath. 👍😉🙏 Did you know that they can just renew the 50 dollar plan so I could keep the the bonus promo data? Well that's what they did for me...lol atleast I frikkin hope that's what he meant lol...you have been absolutely a blessing today and I truly hope you receive the blessing tenfold miss darlicious!! Love the name by the way 🙌💛🌻💛🙌 I just wanted to make sure I replied here first y'know....💰🐒🪙💲💴💵 Lol sounds like you and I come cut from the same cloth.  I didn't want to have to sign another contract and had very little data to do the checking around but I believe this is the best way for me right now. I've turned off all my notifications looked at the  bunch of different ways to save on data like you suggested and boom....I'm feeling better and pretty good about it. And yes the bf (yesssss....that is what we shall call him for the time being grrrrr 😡😬🧐🤨🤐🤬 is he ever bout to hear about it 🥱😱. Lol. I feel like I'm about to go get a new place now lol. He still doesn't know that I know what he did. Apparently it's very easy to tether into and attach yourself to someone else's data. Lads and ladies...don't be a me lol. Learn about as much as you can before you end up in a pile of 💩 not having a reliable and dependable source of internet. The internet has honestly and literally saved my life so many times...they should really have more options out there for the most vulnerable members of our society. Thankyou my new friend and new favorite person hehe. You made a difference and impact in someone's life today ☺️

@Seawatersoul 

We have to keep that sneaky bf away from your data. Did you activate in store or online? If it was online did you enter the promocode 2GBBONUS to get the 2gb of bonus plan data? If not then a moderator can add it. In store activations don't qualify for it but you might qualify for the mysterious 6gb of bonus data I have been hearing about.

Seawatersoul

Actually thank-you. I was just about to do the same thing because I'm currently out of data and obviously need more like yesterday because I am completely without wifi. So far this experience has not been a good one. I only got the 50 dollar plan a week ago. My data warning shouldn't be on already. 😬

Seawatersoul

I meant nope to your question in regards to the the extra 2 G's

Seawatersoul

Nope. I'm dealing with it currently 🥺

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@A1ex wrote:

Hum, aren't pm's 15$ and 35$ plan objectively better?

You get exactly the same service, but you can also accumulate rewards and have an easy 2$ off each months right off the bat. The 25$ one is not offered either, which is subjectively the best.

Yeah, especially considering that the $15 and $35 plans actually start at $13 and $33 with just autopay... and by doing nothing else after 5 years they reach $8 and $28. A few referrals and the $15 plan is easily made free (My wife and I -- CHECK! - working on my dads now) It will take a  Lot to beat that value!! LOL

A1ex
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hum, aren't pm's 15$ and 35$ plan objectively better?

You get exactly the same service, but you can also accumulate rewards and have an easy 2$ off each months right off the bat. The 25$ one is not offered either, which is subjectively the best.

But then again the last one is according to my own needs. I mean I've done nearly nothing to reduce the cost and the plan now costs me 20$ per month which is not something I've found anywhere else.

Perhaps our chat is slightly unrelated to the  original subject though 🙂 .

Need Help? Let's chat.