Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Issue Resolved] Dropped calls issue

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Most Recent Update

9:30 PM ET - May 8, 2019

Hey Community,

We can confirm that the solution our team implemented earlier today to address customers’ voice calls periodically dropping has been resolved.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this service issue may have caused and thank you for your patience as we worked to find a resolution over the past few days and we recognize the frustrations you have felt. To that end, in the case of a technical glitch like we experienced, we want to be certain that the information we are sharing with our customers is accurate and helpful. However, as you have voiced, we too believe that updates should be timely as well. We have heard you and we are committed to improving our processes so we can keep you informed as much as we can going forward.

-Public Mobile Community team

Updates

Please click the spoiler for a full history of this service issue to date.

Spoiler

4:30 PM ET - May 8, 2019

Hey Community,

We have implemented a solution to resolve the issue causing customers’ voice calls to drop during peak times. We are actively monitoring the Community and our systems to ensure there are no further inconveniences to our customers. If you’re still experiencing this issue, please contact our Moderator Team by sending them a private message here and we can assist.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your continued patience. We will provide a further update as soon as possible.

12:00 PM ET - May 7, 2019

Hey Community,

We are aware that some customers continue to experience dropped calls during peak hours and our team is working to address this immediately. If you’re still experiencing this issue, please contact our Moderator Team by sending them a private message here and we can assist on a case by case basis.

We apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your continued patience as we work towards a resolution. We will provide further updates as soon as we know more.

12:00 PM ET - May 6, 2019

Hey Community,

We have identified the source of the technical issue causing select customers to experience dropped calls during peak hours. We've implemented a solution that we believe has resolved the dropped calls issues. However, we are monitoring and ask customers to reach out if you continue to experience any issues.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience. We will provide an update first thing tomorrow morning.

May 3, 2019

Hi Community,

We have heard your concerns around some calling and service issues and we thank you for flagging them to us. After investigation, we have identified the cause of the issues some of you have been experiencing and want to share an update.

1. Dropped calls - We’re currently experiencing an issue in which select customers may experience dropped calls during peak usage times (approximately 4 to 7pm ET time). Text/data capabilities remain unaffected. Our team is diligently investigating the source of this issue and is fully committed to restoring normal functionality as soon as possible. Until then, we appreciate your understanding.

• What you can do if you want to connect with someone during peak usage times:
      • Use texting, wi-fi, or data to stay connected
      • Use wi-fi calling apps

2. $15 Plan - We’ve successfully fixed an issue that affected the service for select customers who signed up or changed to the $15 100 minute plan beginning April 30. This issue arose at 12:15 AM ET on May 3rd, was identified by our team, and was fixed as of 1 PM ET May 3rd. We understand that staying connected is important, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

• If you’re on this plan and are experiencing any issues other than dropped calls, please contact our Moderator Team by sending them a private message here - don’t forget to be as descriptive as possible and to include your account information so that we can assist you as quickly as possible.

We apologize for these inconveniences and the delay on our end in updating you officially. We always look to identify what the issue is and the impact while gathering as much information as we can before announcing, as we want to mitigate any concerns or questions you may have. However, we understand that those of you affected directly, want an update right away. To that end we are working on improving our internal processes in order to get in touch with you as quickly as we can.

Stay tuned as we will update you on the first issue as soon as we can.

Public Mobile Community Team

314 REPLIES 314

It has been a while now.  Wondering if they can find the fix yet.  Smiley Happy

Mollster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I really am starting to wonder if they know what they are doing and if their will ever be a proper solution. This is getting ridiculous where the calls are being dropped at different times. My longest call lasted 20 mins then was 10 mins and 6 mins.

Please resolve this issue soon. It really is not good service that PM is proving. We are all good paying customers and deserve a better service then this.

Psygineer

@biosh0ck3d wrote:

Having an issue where my iphone x keeps on restarting when on phone call. is anyone else having this issue? 

There was an issue with iOS 12 that was causing that to occur. I recall seeing a post about that a few days ago on I believe Reddit. There are a few fixes you can try, some of them more drastic than others. I don't have the solution link available at the moment, but there were 5 or 6 things they suggested trying.

Edit: https://www.ikream.com/2019/05/how-to-fix-your-apple-iphone-x-that-suddenly-keeps-restarting-by-itse...

myyykkee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My fiancé and I are both with PM. We’ve been experiencing a lot of dropped calls over the past couple of weeks. Yesterday we had 3 dropped calls at 4:15, 4:21, 4:39. 

@will13am wrote:

So much for a solution.  Back to the drawing board.  

Prepare for a boatload of Community complaints tomorrow !!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

So much for a solution.  Back to the drawing board.  

kjaalbers

I've continued to have technical difficulties throughout the day. I was on the phone multiple times while driving across Alberta and Saskatchewan. Calls have been dropped as short as every 7 minutes to the longest I've been able to have a call is 35 minutes before it dropped. At all times of the day. 

@jaredord wrote:

My wife and I are both on the $50/month plan and have both been experiencing dropped calls for the past week at least.  Our last dropped calls (both of us independently and also while on the phone together) were earlier today.  Very frustrating and embarrassing.  My last dropped call with my wife was at 5:22pm MST... 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Resolution-In-Progress-Dropped-calls-is...

jaredord

My wife and I are both on the $50/month plan and have both been experiencing dropped calls for the past week at least.  Our last dropped calls (both of us independently and also while on the phone together) were earlier today.  Very frustrating and embarrassing.  My last dropped call with my wife was at 5:22pm MST... 

Lor

i had 2 dropped calls one after another tonight.  My friend at the other end said a man got into the conversation said "Hello" and then hung up, just as i was talking to her.  I did not hear the man, she did.  This has been quite annoying recently and the worst part is, i cannot rely on my phone for business meetings.

Lorin

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I've been experiencing dropped calls for the past few weeks, it's been very annoying for me, as the only calls I make that are long enough for them to be dropped are important calls while I'm trying to deal with something.  It's very annoying for them to be dropped in the middle of saying a sentence!

shaknben

I have myself and my spouse on pm. Both dropped calls between 2pm and 8pm. It has been any time of day for quite some time.

Benkang87

1693B048-84A4-4091-841F-345762C5CB4E.jpeg

Hey I’m kinda new to public mobile. As you can see from my picture I’ve experienced ALOT of dropped calls today. Is this going to get fixed or am I gonna need to pull out of this company with my wife?

scotshad

Two dropped calls again today both around 5pm in Ontario.

sonician
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Dropped call tonight.

Called at 8:02pm Atlantic Time, call dropped at after 21:01 again tonight.

I've had one single call over 20 mins in length *not* drop in the past few weeks. 

WTF Public Mobile? This is unreal!

biosh0ck3d

Having an issue where my iphone x keeps on restarting when on phone call. is anyone else having this issue? 

tdinnage

My calls have been dropping constantly for the last week, its extremely frustrating, we are on the $40 a month plan, what is going on

koukaly

Hi;

I just got the PM weeks ago; and I find it very frustrating in the middle of a short call and important one I got 3 to 7 dropped calls.

it is embarrassing that with today great and advance technology PM company cannot resolve the problem.

PM need to find a solution to it before clients switch to a different provider     

Vancouver location

ammdas

Hi Mods,

I've been experiencing dropped calls for about a week.  Last weeked it happened 2-3 times and it happened today, around 7pm.

Location is Ottawa.

ambkms

Three years with Koodo, not one drop call.  The few weeks I have been with PM, probably 100 (not joking)!  When advertising a cheaper price, PM should advertise subpar service.

Psygineer

@JoeBush wrote:

So if you're in the middle of an emergency call because a rapist is chasing you down the street and you lose the cell phone service, but you saved ten dollars, that's okay?

Yes! Because I saved $50 this month I could afford better shoes to run in! Plus emergency calls don't even need a SIM or active cell service to work. But you did make your point!

Sad thing is paying extra for the service doesn't guarantee stable service though. I can tell you that the $70 a month 1GB plan my Aunt was on with Rogers dropped decently regularly when she would talk to my mother (landline). She would always call right back, so it wasn't just a creative way to get out of the conversation.

@Sales_guy wrote:

Still having major dropped call issues.  Over 17 on Friday, and 5 in the last hour alone.  I'm terrified to call clients only to have the call drop mid-sentence.   I'm starting to worry that I made a mistake switching to Public Mobile...

As happy as I am with the service level to price ratio I am getting with PM, I think if I honestly cared about having a cellphone in the first place and not just carrying one because work is forcing me to, I probably would go with a more proven brand than PM if I needed it for my livelyhood/business. If you take a look through the forums you will see PM has always been a bit problematic.

It's kind of like trying to watch a stream hosted by someone who is stealing wifi from their down the street neighbour. Sure it works usually, but it isn't always going to be the best experience for the end user.

It also might be helpful for Public mobile to know where in the country your drop calls are occurring as well as times.  

Very frustrating issue.....  hopefully, will be fixed soon.....  

Hi @Alan_K ,

I had at leat 3 dropped calls today, two of them at 4:03 PM and 4:10 PM eastern time, after 6 min 42 s and 2 min 56 s.

@Sales_guy wrote:

Still having major dropped call issues.  Over 17 on Friday, and 5 in the last hour alone.  I'm terrified to call clients only to have the call drop mid-sentence.   I'm starting to worry that I made a mistake switching to Public Mobile...

With all due respect...if you making a living depends on you having a stable cell phone at all times then Public Mobile may not be the best option for you.

Wesm0nd

Hi Mods,

I had 3 dropped calls today at 12:50pm, 1:01pm and 1:10pm.

The calls lasted 11m1s, 7m03s, and 6m4s respectively.

Sales_guy

JoeBush

So if you're in the middle of an emergency call because a rapist is chasing you down the street and you lose the cell phone service, but you saved ten dollars, that's okay?

Psygineer

@JoeBush wrote:

How can PM stay in business with this monumental problem of dropped calls?

Technically, being low cost will attract people even if there isn't the best stability. Since it is no refund prepay, even if people leave after a month is paid, the revenue will still flow. Also there are people who just need a phone (work forces them) so they don't care about the quality. Case in point myself, I am used to dropped calls and have accepted the fact I'm paying about 1/3rd the rate I would with the big guys. As long as I get at least 1/3rd the service I am happy enough. With that said, if they can clean up these dropped calls, that would definately make me happier. Been here a year now.

JoeBush

How can PM stay in business with this monumental problem of dropped calls?

@ambkms wrote:

Issue not resolved. I have had at least 10 dropped calls today, 5 being in the last hour.  Crazy service!

Hope it helps to know that they are working on this known problem. Hang in there.

Need Help? Let's chat.