cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guess What?! (Hint: We had to update our Terms of Service to do this)

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

We’ve got another BIG and EXCITING announcement to make!

US Roaming Announcement_ENG_Final.gif

We will be launching US roaming in November this year! Many members have been patiently waiting for this to arrive and we are ecstatic to be making this announcement. Members like @robbytwotwo, @carloscmd, @ckndr47, @nishufan, @McLaren, @makkahn28, @imm1304, @Cookin, @srlawren and many more have been submitting or promoting ideas about US roaming on our Public Lab, saying things like:

The plans offered here are great. I am waiting for some sort of roaming to be offered though...

And

First of all kudos to PM for such an amazing service...Now that we are growing, would love to see a ...”    

We would like to extend a huge thank you to those that submitted the idea and to those who supported the idea by giving it a bravo. We have listened to your feedback and recommendations, and are excited to be bringing this idea to life.  

Think about the convenience…the freedom… No longer will you need to purchase a different SIM card when you travel to the States. No longer will you need to travel to the States without any service at all. No longer will you have an excuse to not respond to your parents/ girlfriend/ boyfriend etc. (Whoops- that was a good thing.)

Anyway, we veered off topic just a tad. Soon you will be able to connect to AT&T and T-Mobile networks when you travel to the states. AT&T and T-Mobile’s coverage includes all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. So, whether you are travelling to the snow-capped mountains in Alaska or to Florida's sunny beaches, we will have you covered.

In order to roam, you will have the flexibility to choose 10 day Add-ons that include talk only, text only, data only or a bundle of all three services. We are still finalizing the Add- on price points and the exact launch date, so stay tuned for more information. We have also updated our Terms of Service to incorporate US roaming, so please be sure to read it here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

180 REPLIES 180

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Top of the morning @hummuschips and @slandgirl

You are able to see some of the U.S. Roaming Add-On features in Self Serve, but the functionality is not fully working yet. I'll  be making an announcement once everything goes live, so keep an eye out for that! Thanks for your patience Smiley Happy 

hummuschips
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Wow @slandgirl, you've already tried using this on the first day!  Hopefully one of the mods can help you! 

slandgirl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I am in Orlando now. I was unable to get it to work. I've added it to my account successfully. But I still get no service on the phone. I tried rebooting the phone multiple times.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slandgirl have a great trip, and I hope this works out for you!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

slandgirl
Almost perfect timing if so. I am on a flight to Orlando tonight. Hope I can activate it over hotel wifi tomorrow morning.

Ali125
Thanks for inside. I'm waiting unpassionatedly to get it. Thanks

Ali125
Thanks for inside. I'm waiting unpassionatedly to get it.

ChameleonX

This is great news!  Looks like I picked the perfect time to join PM.  

jigginsmcgee
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Currently in the US and my Roam Mobility 30-day plan expires on the 12th – SO CLOSE! I guess I can top up for another week. Really looking forward to this if true (that it's coming on the 14th).

Eug
Rumour has it US roaming on Public Mobile is coming Monday, November 14.

This is according to a post from RFD. The poster claims it was told to him by a Telus exec.

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Maintenance on November 13. Hopefully this includes new roaming features.

eyunie

Awsome news! I guess I joined at a right now. It will be nice to have roaming in the states when I go on vacation. 🙂

theresident
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Add me to the list of people waiting for this announcement. I've always just swapped SIMs to T-Mobile during previous visits to the States but would use a roaming add-on if it was attractively priced!

W0507636
I have 2 family members we are waiting to port if the US roaming comes out and is decent, they can't commit unless they are sure it works as they are snow birds and are gone for a couple months of the year. They need their number just because we have some older family members which the family needs to be easily reached,none of this swapping different sim cards. Hope it comes out but if not that's OK some plans don't work for everyone if they did we wouldn't have switched in the first place.

@ShawnC13 I suspect won't see anything until promo plan is over and all issues resolved

How is thius coming along?  Any projected date for announcement or confirmation of add-on packages/pricing?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Would be nice IF PM had 1, 3, 5, 7, and 14 Day incriment cycles to choose from, and aside from choosing which we want, like Talk, Txt or Data, or Talk + Data, or Txt + Data, or Talk + Txt,

BUT Also some considerable Data sizes, between 250 MB-1.5 GB, w the option of Data Roaming Add-On, if possible.

Perhaps if PM did this, it may offer some niceties that PPL want, requested, pleaded, begged and muchg much more

hummuschips
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I'm looking forward to hearing more about US roaming.  I don't go to the US often so it would be great to have something where I don't have to swap SIM cards in my phone like I have done in the past because roaming rates were a lot more expensive than getting a TMobile SIM in the states.  Just as long as the rates are competitive lol.

Alpaca

Ditto, I've got holdouts due to US and also International Roaming. A lot of people like to travel. But at least US Roaming will be a reality now.

gurpsidhu1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I be so happy if you do add the roaming. I will stay with Public Mobile forever.

Jonavin

No matter how thye do it, as long as it's competitive, I hope it's announced before this 12GB promo ends. I have a few holdouts because of US roaming. 

@Tvisforme I doubt it will be similar; Public has gone on record many times saying they are against slow data once cap hit. So a 1GB roaming plan is possible but once cap hit the service would stop.

They also seem against minute limits so I doubt that will happen either. More likely a roam like home style plan (eg pay +$X and use phone with your normal features for time in USA)

Wind's style is hardly a standerd; more carriers and flankers are adopting the Rogers style roaming plans noone has bothered with Wind.

Tvisforme

@srlawren wrote:

@ottawa good suggestion of using an offline nav app.  I believe Google Maps lets you download specific areas for offline usage also.

Yes, more recent versions do allow you to choose areas to download. The app will even suggest that you download map data for sections of a trip known to have weaker or non-existent signal.

Tvisforme

@Jonavin wrote:

The easiest way to price it would be just to say that your LD addon minutes can now be used in the US. For data, it comes out of your addon data bucket. $30/GB for roaming wouldn't be too bad.

!!!

I'd suggest that Public should model their roaming package after Wind, especially given the way that they appear to be targeting Wind with this promotion. Wind's $15/month for 2400min/unlimited SMS/1GB full-speed data/unlimited slower data has cerated a new standard for US roaming.

VK

This will be a good move by PM. But, please keep options similar to or better then Roam Mobility. Please note that we normally go a day or 2 during long weekends to meet & greet friends.

Please try to get this before US Thanksgiving weekend.

SRS

Looking forward to the US roaming details

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Ok - Wednesday Nov 30 is the announcement date Smiley Very Happy

And if they announce earlier, treat that as a bonus Robot Happy

ottawa

Maybe they're waiting for Nov 8 results to see how many people are actually going to keep crossing the border. 🙂

[Note: not suggesting which result will make what difference, it seems no matter what the result, thousands of Americans claim they're moving here - potential new customers every one! 🙂 ]

=aw

homer

It's already November! Time flies! 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@smp99 sometime in the next 28 days.  😉

I think PM is not wanting to announce a date they cannot make, so they are holding back until it's all ready for use.  You've made it this long--not much longer to wait!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.