Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
@CSPB I don't know where you got that impression but it is 100% incorrect. If you are one one of the older plans that included 4G data then you get to keep it as long as you want. You will NOT be dropped to 3G speed or have your plan cost changed unless you explicitly decide to change plans. Your current plan and cost is grandfathered indefinitely.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CSPB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you for the reply.  However, yes plan proces wont increase but services will automatically decrease.

On renewal of your current plan it will drop to 3g speeds for the advertised lower price. everyone then has an opportunity to decide what is best for them. For me, slower speeds isnt good, and the increased cost for what i used to have now is nearly the same as other providers. At least for a couple dollars more i can immediately pick up a phone or walk into a store for support.  

Luck everyone with your desicion to come. 

justmag
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yeap! Thats it right there, its too much hassle".... I have been with public mobile for about a year and half. I think I missed one reasonbale promo. I have been waiting patiently for the next one, but they just made things worse in my opinion. I am currently exploring my options.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

@WearySky well sure, but it's a bit of a hassle.  It does go to illustrate the issue with these targetted promos as well, where they haven't actually taken an FM customer (your mother), they've taken a Rogers customer.  Seems silly to make your customers or prospective customers jump through that extra hoop.  

Yeah, definitely a bit of a hassle, but I have a feeling the other 2 players in the big Canadian Oligopoly were pissed at the last $40 4GB promo, so PM had to promise their daddy Telus that they were going to more directly target Freedom the next time around if they brought it back.  I can't say for certain that this is the case, but it fits the overall narrative that many people believe about the Canadian mobile market (that Rogers, Bell and Telus are colluding to keep prices high for most of Canada where there isn't a strong 4th competitor).

srlawren

@WearySky well sure, but it's a bit of a hassle.  It does go to illustrate the issue with these targetted promos as well, where they haven't actually taken an FM customer (your mother), they've taken a Rogers customer.  Seems silly to make your customers or prospective customers jump through that extra hoop.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

WearySky

@srlawren wrote:

@WearySky wrote:

Why didn't you just sign up for that plan during the Freedom promo?

@WearySky maybe @justmag wasn't a Freedom Mobile user prior to moving to Public Mobile?

That wasn't really a barrier for anybody that wanted the promo.  My mom was with Rogers, I signed her up for a temporary Freedom account and ported that number over to PM to get the promo, then ported her Rogers number over later.  Current PM customers could have done the same thing as well, the only issue would be that they would have lost any referral/loyalty discounts because they would have had to port their number out, then back in again into a new account.

srlawren

@WearySky wrote:

@WearySky maybe @justmag wasn't a Freedom Mobile user prior to moving to Public Mobile?

WearySky

@justmag wrote:

Yeah, I am considering leaving Public Mobile because of this, I currently have 2gb (30 days) - 55$ after loyalty and Auto pay, I have been waiting for them to re-introduce that $40 for 4gb plan again, but it seems thats not happening soon. I dont want to downgrade to 3g ever.

justmag

Yeah, I am considering leaving Public Mobile because of this, I currently have 2gb (30 days) - 55$ after loyalty and Auto pay, I have been waiting for them to re-introduce that $40 for 4gb plan again, but it seems thats not happening soon. I dont want to downgrade to 3g ever.

Rockdaddy22
Are you guys complaining about the new bonus data with LTE?

Janterry
Right? I really don't understand these changes. I switched to PM and told everyone about it because of the great value. Thank goodness my plan is grandfathered. I don't see anyone new signing up because the value just isn't there anymore. I'm very disappointed 😞

gmd

Plans have changed again?

3G minimum = $42/month

LTE minimum = $50/month

Really PM?

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mobifree wrote:

I think TELUS has accomplished its goal.

Totally kill Public Mobile, and try to force clients onto Koodo.

Anyone on a grandfathered plan is safe for the time being.

The  public sentiment seems to be:

- PM isn't what they used ot be.

- Definitely not worth the price for the lack of customer service.

- No longer referring any friends or family to PM.

I just hope angry customers go to Bell (Virgin, Solo) / Rogers (Fido, Chatr, Zoomer) or even WIND instead of another TELUS brand (Koodo) for this BS.

Greedy Telus

srlawren

@LeSong @Rockdaddy22 I used it for Google Maps early on in the testing, without issue

Rockdaddy22
I've been testing the new 3G plan, I haven't noticed any problems with FaceTime audio calls or the few FaceTime calls I tried were fine. I'll have to test out google maps for you. Post back in a couple days and I'll try and have some test results for you. @LeSong

LeSong

I'm just wondering what would the 3G ( 2.5 Mbps ) speed be like for services such as whatsapp call , hangout call or even google map ?
Is it good enough to make a video call over FaceTime or whatsapp ?
The current 3G speed on my current plan with PM is about 7 Mbps and i have no issues with any of the phone services or apps, but the 2.5Mbps is the only concern as I'm down to change my plan if i can confirm whether services and apps would work as fine as its working with the current 3G speed i have on PM or not !!

Hopefully ill get to know whats the true answer before its too late ..

Wow, gone for a couple days and lot of new things going on here...
New "promo" plans aren't too bad, but still doesn't beat competition...

For people living in provinces where cheap Koodo plan aren't available, could be worth to take a Quebec/Manitoba/Saskatchewan Koodo number and save, especially since their plans includes Canada-wide... Only if most people you know also have Canada-wide to call you of course...

Rockdaddy22
So we could come down a little more. We need to definitely beat the advertised prices of Koodo/fido/virgin

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
I'd love to see a list of the best 6GB plans. I'm pretty sure PM is competitive here

Well, at least during the promo. Robot LOL Unfortunately, Fido's regular price for this is $85/month with Canada wide.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Rockdaddy22
I'd love to see a list of the best 6GB plans. I'm pretty sure PM is competitive here

srlawren

@mobifree wrote:

They'll still keep PM for the uninformed and general masses.

They've killed it for the informed/conscious consumer (the RFD types).

@mobifree I don't feel like an uninformed mass.  I'm pretty happy with my grandfathered 2016 Fall Promo plan!

WearySky

@mobifree wrote:

Well, it depends what RFD type you're talking about.  PM used to be an excellent value proposition for the 2GB/$40 provincial plan, but lots of RFDers tend to be looking for loads and loads of monthly data, where PM isn't really competitive any way.

Rockdaddy22
Most people have no idea what rfd is, so that's fine. I was with PM before it became the darling of rfd lol

mobifree
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Rockdaddy22
Trying to kill PM? That's why 2 new deals with retailers to supply sims 🙂

mobifree
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I think TELUS has accomplished its goal.

Totally kill Public Mobile, and try to force clients onto Koodo.

Anyone on a grandfathered plan is safe for the time being.

The  public sentiment seems to be:

- PM isn't what they used ot be.

- Definitely not worth the price for the lack of customer service.

- No longer referring any friends or family to PM.

I just hope angry customers go to Bell (Virgin, Solo) / Rogers (Fido, Chatr, Zoomer) or even WIND instead of another TELUS brand (Koodo) for this BS.

Pmarcovi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So they can ask a higher price for the normal service...

CalvinW
I'm still flabbergasted why you are trying to sell 3G data. The last time I used 3G was with my iPhone 3GS 8 years ago.

CalvinW
I wonder why you are extending the promo, maybe because nobody is buying it?

justmag

Yeah! I think I saw that already. Thats more expensive. I maybe have to settle for less speed but more GB to save $$ or get the 6gb+3gb (bonus) with the 90 days plan. I dont know yet. Thanks for sharing that though. 

Need Help? Let's chat.