cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONTEST NOW CLOSED- Let Your Inner Nerd Out, It’s Embrace Your Geekness Day!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

7 - JulyEN (1).png

Somewhere along the line being labelled as a geek became a bad thing. We don’t agree with that and that’s why we’re honoring Embrace Your Geekness Day! Take today to celebrate those hobbies and interests you’re absolutely obsessed with. Whether it’s comic books, computers, romance novels, or bird watching, today is the day for you to do you. Here are a few reasons we think being a geek is great:

1. It Means You’re Passionate About Something

Some people have no hobbies to obsess over! It’s beautiful when you find an interest you could spend endless hours on. 

2. It Means You’re Being True to Yourself

Ever seen those people doing an activity just because it’s seen as the “cool” thing to do? That’s not you. You’re not afraid to stick to your guns and say, “Who cares if I collect socks that were worn by celebrities?” 

3. Geeks Build Amazing Things

The world runs on products that geeks create. Every time people use their phones or laptops they should have to whisper a thank you to the geeks who invent them. 

4. Geeks are Dedicated

If you can put time into your hobby, it shows that you can put time into other areas of your life like work or school. Dedication is the first step to success and geeks are brimming with it.  

So take time today to shout your geekiness from a mountaintop. Plus, if you comment below by 12:00 pm ET on July 19 and tell us what you geek out about the most, we’ll randomly select three winners who will receive a $50 eGift card to Amazon. Hobbies need funding too right? Now go and get your geek on! Contest runs July 12 to July 19, 2019. Read Contest Rules before entering.

Contest Rules

Spoiler

Public Mobile Embrace your Geekness Day Contest
CONTEST RULES

1. HOW TO ENTER & ELIGIBILITY
    No Purchase Necessary.  To enter entrants must share what they geek out about the most on the Public Mobile Community post. Only one entry per person accepted.  No other form of participation is accepted.  In the event of a dispute on the entrant identity, the person who is the holder of the email address specified on the online form will be deemed to be the entrant.

If your entry contains a person, other than the entrant, by entering the contest, you state that you have obtained consent from everyone in the photo. If your photo contains a minor (under the age of 18) parental or legal guardian consent is required.

Contest runs July 12 to July 19, 2019 at 12:00pm ET.

An Entry will be considered void and removed from the Community post if it contains subject matter that, in the opinion of the contest administrators, may violate community standards or is otherwise of questionable taste.

To be eligible, an entrant must be an existing Public Mobile customer and entry must be received on or before end of contest closing date and time. Entrants must be a Canadian resident who are 13 years of age or older and must be a member of the Public Mobile online Community. Contest not open to employees of TELUS Corporation, its affiliated companies or subsidiaries, its sales agents, its advertising and promotional agencies, and members with whom they are domiciled.  By accepting these Contest Rules, entrants agree that any and all liability related to this contest by TELUS is limited to the value of the Prize(s) as defined hereinafter.

1. THE PRIZE
    There will be three (3) prizes awarded. Each winner will receive the following prize:

One (1) Amazon $50 eGift Card

Prize(s) must be accepted as awarded and with no substitutions, is/are not transferable unless set out in the Contest Rules and cannot be exchanged with Public Mobile for cash. Public Mobile reserves the right to substitute the Prize with a Prize of equivalent value if such prize becomes unavailable for any reason.  The chances of winning are dependent upon the total number of eligible entries received.

1. THE DRAW
    A random draw for all Prizes will take place at the Public Mobile office located at 25 York Street, Toronto, Ontario on or about July 19 at 12:00PM ET by a TELUS representative. Selected entrants will be notified on the Public Mobile Community. If the selected entrant cannot be reached within two (2) business days, or if the selected entrant does not meet any of the contest requirements, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
    In order to win, the selected entrant must correctly answer unaided a mathematical skill-testing question and will be required to sign a standard release form. If the selected entrant is under the age of majority in his/her province of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian must read and accept these Contest Rules.  Failure to answer the skill-testing question correctly, comply with the Contest Rules or sign and return the release form within two (2) days of receipt will result in disqualification and another entry will be selected until the Prize is awarded. Prize will be delivered to a Canadian address of the winner’s choice within (7) business days after prize has been awarded.

2. PRIVACY
    By entering the contest, entrants consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph, voice and/or image for publicity purposes in all media used by Public Mobile, without payment or compensation. Entrants agree to TELUS’ use of the entrants’ personal information that may include contacting you regarding limited time offers, promotional offers and/or surveys. Full details are as described in Public Mobiles’ privacy policy located at publicmobile.ca/termsofservice.

1. QUEBEC RESIDENTS

Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a Prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.

1. OTHER
    All entries become the property of Public Mobile. Public Mobile assumes no responsibility for lost, damaged or misdirected entries during the contest period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software and failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Public Mobile on account of technical problems, traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or failure of handset or mobile web browser. Public Mobile reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this contest without prior notice. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are mechanically reproduced, forged, falsified, altered, tampered with, not in accordance with Community standards or unlawful in any way. Entries submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that an entry has been made in an manner not sanctioned by these rules and/or an entrant has submitted more than the number of entries permitted by these rules, the entrant and all of his/her entries will be disqualified. Entrants agree to abide by the contest rules and the decisions of the contest judges, which are final. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.

90 REPLIES 90

Psygineer

Oddly enough as I am a person who hates when things get a minor scuff or scratch, I enjoy watching cellphone teardown videos and durability tests. I enjoy seeing the changes in tech over the year.

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Beer geek here. I love trying new beers and visiting breweries. I have also been brewing my own beer at home since 2012, which is super fun.

Bell3
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I love to watch Netflix.

jordan23
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Up until this day, I still play old school video games like Counter-Strike and Left 4 Dead! Those classic games just never gets old 🙂 

Jonavin

This song pretty much explains everything.

https://youtu.be/N9qYF9DZPdw

Anonymous
Not applicable

I perceive nerd and geek as derogatory terms.

I keep my tech running as long as it keeps doing what I need it to do.

I'm typing on a 2009 top o' the line HP laptop. I've replaced the fan a couple times, the keyboard, the motherboard and the HD for an SSD.

I finally gave in to Android when I got an EV ( <- is that geek enough for ya?) so that I could use the apps and connections. It also so happened that I bought a Samsung tv and so oh look a Samsung phone that can connect together.

First and foremost, I turn everything into lists and spreadsheets; compare this with that, detail stuff, analyse this vs that, etc. Also goes hand-in-hand with detailing all financial expenses, for yes, more analysis and comparison. 

Finding bargains too, often trying to save that little bit extra...

Then there is the tinkering... and keeping lost of small "junk" that I find clever uses for to fix this or that... love saving tech from the broken piles to give it some new life. 

Pedro_H
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hmm,

Well, I geek out over the usual suspects: technology, comic books/super hero movies and shows, sci-fi, fantasy, tabletop/boardgames/party games, volleyball, anime, horror movies, thrillers, trivia, listening to music, playing music, sometimes singing music (memorizing the words to One Week and trying to remember Yakko's Nations of the World lyrics (Animaniacs)), the glory days of WWF/WCW/WWE with Bret Hart, Ultimate Warrior, Sting, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio Jr, TLC Matches... I guess I'll stop there, lol.

Great Contest!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

tying to remember my php and coding basics from university and trying to customise some of the various wordpress templates/plugins i use.

@smp99 wrote:

Long Range Wifi - like 2km. I love showing people that

What does this look like... a mobile cell tower?
Pic please or it ain't so.

@Melissa-H77 wrote:

Two chemists walk into a bar. One says, “I’ll have an ‎H2O.” The other says, “I’ll have an ‎H2O, too.” The second chemist dies.

Want to hear a joke about sodium, bromine, and oxygen?

NaBrO.

What should you do if no one laughs at your chemistry jokes?

Keep telling them until you get a reaction.

Let my inner nerd out - I love Chemistry, especially setting up mini experiments with my kids in the kitchen 😁😁😁

Hope you don't have to put out any fires. Smiley Very Happy

sunflowershine

Ready ebooks whenever I have time. 

Melissa-H77
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Two chemists walk into a bar. One says, “I’ll have an ‎H2O.” The other says, “I’ll have an ‎H2O, too.” The second chemist dies.

Want to hear a joke about sodium, bromine, and oxygen?

NaBrO.

What should you do if no one laughs at your chemistry jokes?

Keep telling them until you get a reaction.

Let my inner nerd out - I love Chemistry, especially setting up mini experiments with my kids in the kitchen 😁😁😁

XionBunny

Personally im all about tech and comic book culture, if it's new i use it, and if it's based in a comic book i read it. Happily geeky here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The smart home these days is oozing geekiness everywhere.  Just keeping everything current and running is a job and a half.  Now, is this a hobby, interest or house work?  It does beat cutting the lawn. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

Geek is in my username.  Does that count?  Reading about new devices and Public Mobile promos is part of the fun of being here.

Winner, winner, chicken....

Geek is in my username.  Does that count?  Reading about new devices and Public Mobile promos is part of the fun of being here.

italocan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Photography has been my passion for a long time. When I first got serious I learned everything about it, I loved all the technical details. This was all with slide film, too, so any error in F stop, etc was immediately obvious. Was a great way to learn.

dna2016

@Alan_K  I think like most geeks we're big on gadgets (i.e. anything electronics). Got myself a robot vacuum, upgraded my phone 3 times in the last 3 years, installed new security cameras, new 75 inch samsung smart TV, and bought the Nvidia Shield in October 2018.  When I open those boxes from Amazon I feel like I'm 12 years old again opening my Christmas gifts, lol.  I know I'm missing a bunch other things, and I know there will definitely be more to come, unfortunately I know my wife is dreading it, lolSmiley LOL

smp99

Long Range Wifi - like 2km. I love showing people that

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

I live in my mothers basement play video games build model airplanes, geeky enough for ya? Smiley LOL

MacMe

I really like small technology, so things like working with a Raspberry Pi are really fun for me!

GR
Mayor / Maire

Cell phones and vehicles,  working on both! 

SD08

I like to practise reading and writing German. I listen to German pop music, also translating and memorizing it well enough to sing it in my head. I would never sing it out loud though, because no one should have to endure my singing.  Smiley LOL

@MandyJ wrote:

I geek out on simulation games.... of the simple 2D variety. First person/3D stuff tends to be too complex for my little gamer brain, so I tend to stick to my more old school low-key games. I very much appreciate developers who put out new games that fit my old school desires!

Oh My Gad!  MapleStory FTW back in the day.

MandyJ

I geek out on simulation games.... of the simple 2D variety. First person/3D stuff tends to be too complex for my little gamer brain, so I tend to stick to my more old school low-key games. I very much appreciate developers who put out new games that fit my old school desires!

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Mine is technology.

Google Home, automation, bounced around between Android and iOS more than I can count.

popping

After my dealer shop upsell an expensive brake job 5 years ago, I learn everything about my cars.  I am maintaining my family cars now.  Changing ball joints, A/C, steering rack, rebuiding starter etc.

BTW, I finally changed the brake pads 2 years after the dealer upsell.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Watching the Big Bang Theory, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and Stranger Things then talking about it at work the next day.  Reading up on the latest tech news about computers and phones.  

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

Geeking out on tuning, building motors, horsepower, torque, compound boosting. Cars, cars, cars.

Need Help? Let's chat.