cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Public Mobile

[BLOG]: Physical Distancing Tips from the Public Mobile Team

Hey Community, 

I hope you’re all doing well and staying healthy! To say that the last few weeks have been a bit of an adjustment for Canadians would definitely be an understatement - we’ve all had to make some changes to our daily routines in light of physical distancing efforts. It’s important that we all do our part to flatten the curve of COVID-19 by staying home as much as we can. This means that many of us are staying indoors a lot more than usual and I can imagine that many of you, like myself, are getting a little bit stir-crazy. With that, we wanted to share some of the ways that the Public Mobile team has been occupying themselves while physical distancing. 

I’ll start us off! 

Tiana (Community Lead): I’ve started doing workouts and yoga in my backyard when it’s sunny. It provides a nice break to my day and helps me get off my couch, but it's also a great way to be outside but avoid coming into contact with too many people on the street or at a park. I typically just search up yoga videos on YouTube and follow along as best I can. 

Julia (Customer Base Management): My favourite activity at home lately has been finding a fun recipe online to try out. Sometimes it’s an elaborate dinner or a sweet classic like chocolate chip banana bread. I make do with the ingredients I already have or put things on the list for my next grocery run. Great sites for food inspo are bonappetit.com, foodandwine.com, and of course, Google!

Alan (Self-serve Strategy): With the weather warming up in Ontario, I have been getting back into running recently which has helped take my mind off of things! Exercise helps make the mind and body healthier which is absolutely essential. My long term goal is to conquer a 10K. When I’m not moving around, I’ve been loving Ozark and Community on Netflix.

Sarah (Manager, Support & Innovation): I have taken this time to try to learn some new skills! With the help of YouTube, I’ve really enjoyed learning how to do calligraphy (shout out to @thehappyevercrafter), paint my own cards, juggle and cut my own hair (!!). I am not good at any of them yet but it’s fun to be a student again. If anyone has any resources that may help me on my journey, please let me know! 🙂 

Some other activities the team is getting up to include: 

• Virtual book club
  • Organizing photos and scrapbooking
  • Binging netflix
  • Going on walks and rediscovering the neighbourhood

If you’re getting restless at home, maybe try out a few of these activities and let us know how they go! The PM team is also looking for ideas on what to do at home, so reply below what you’ve been up to while physical distancing. Do you have any tips on how to stay social and connected with others? 

Stay safe and please remember to stay home as much as you can. 

- Tiana + The Public Mobile Team

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: [BLOG]: Physical Distancing Tips from the Public Mobile Team

@Tiana_V i am glad to see that PM is practicing safe Social distancing during these times. Thanks for the Tips 🙂 As for myself i have been watching quite a bit of movies lately and keeping up with the PM forums. I also try to exercise daily and go for walks to keep healthy, and i video call my family to check up on everyone. I can finally do things that i haven't had time to get to before. Keep up the Social distancing everyone and we will get through this TOGETHER.

Stay safe Everyone 🙂

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Tiana_V Thank you for such amazing tips how to spend time during this period. Stay safe everyone!😊

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Thanks for your suggestions on handling the boredom and staying fit. May I suggest if you have library cards to take advantage of their online resources. Stay safe.

Highlighted
Oracle

I want my life back ASAP.  In the meantime, lots of couch potato activities is taking up the day.  Ozark is on the radar.  Gotta binge watch billions first.  For those familiar with this TV series, who is your favorite good guy/bad guy?  

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

I have been riding on Zwift and running in my neighborhood.  Watching Netflix and YouTube.  Latest series I have been watching the Americans and Westworld.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Tiana_V   Since I now have more time I've added online yoga to my HIIT (high intensity interval training) and weight program.  Next I'll try meditation which might be the tough one for me to just sit still.  Stay safe everyone.   Cheers

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

For last couple weeks, we still get snow once every 2 - 3 day.  Shoveling snow outside is my only outdoor exercise.  I am riding on my stationary bike when I watch news on TV.

I wear cloth mask when I go out for grocery.  I am an eyeglasses wearer which gives me eye protection against COVID-19.  But wearing mask will fog up my glasses.  I adjust the top string tighter to get a tight fit to my on my face.  I tested it while I am riding on my stationary bike for 30 minutes without fogging up my glasses.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I've been watching a lot of tv, staring at the worldometers.info totals (unfortunately, who hasn't?), and spending some time on the Community.

Admittedly, I'd like to spend more time outside since the whether is getting nicer.  I'll still go out for a 30 minute walk each day, although there's nowhere really to do go even if i wanted to. Even a little as two weeks ago, if someone stayed 6ft away when walking, that person would get stares. That's now become the norm and no one thinks anything of it and I think that people have learned not to take it personally. It's become a little bit awkward when there's a bit of hesitation when you go through the momentary hesistation about how far to moved over and who should trample on someone's front lawn or walk on the street (if it's safe to do so at that moment). It almost feels strange planning a short walking route in my neighborhood to a path that included grassy boulevards in front of the houses to try to minimize places where you're "trapped" beside someone such as over or under a bridge on a major street where there's really nowhere else to go (without getting hit by a car). 

As for grocery requirements, curbside pickup and delivery options are great, but be sure to plan ahead as the wait time can be a week or two for those options. If you can't wait for an online grocery order timeslot, I would suggest the lower volume grocery store such as Rabba Fine Foods, Valumart, or your local family-run produce store.  They might charge a little more, but paying a few dollars more for your bag of groceries may be worth it if you're able to go somewhere with only 2 or 3 other customers at the same time.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@popping wrote:

For last couple weeks, we still get snow once every 2 - 3 day.  Shoveling snow outside is my only outdoor exercise.  I am riding on my stationary bike when I watch news on TV.

You still have snow?

Need Help? Let's chat.