cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Letter From Dave: Reflecting on our journey together + Introducing our 5 Days of Giving!

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

P2814_PublicMobile-December2018_HeaderBanner-v5_Dec6_Dec06 (1).jpg

Hi Community,

This December, we are celebrating 5 years since we embarked on a journey to redefine how wireless service is delivered to Canadians. We started down this path with the goal of giving Canadians control over their wireless spend. 

Central to the journey was the belief that if we did things differently and we saved on costs, we could pass off those savings to our customers as a result. This is how our online support model, and our beloved Community, came to be. At the time, I was told over and over again that this was a crazy idea; it would never work. Yet here we are, 5 years later.

I want to sincerely thank you for supporting our crazy ideas and playing a part in making Public Mobile what it is today. We could not have done it without you. Of course, we still have lots of room to make things even better, and we’re excited about incorporating your ideas in 2019 and beyond. In particular, this is the wish list of things you’ve asked us to focus on next and that we are passionately working on:

1. Faster Moderator response times
  2. An improved ticket submission process
  3. Additional goodness from SIMon The Bot 

To thank you for being on this journey with us, we thought we’d have our own Public Mobile Advent Calendar and give away gifts everyday. But, in true #LessforLess spirit, we’re going to keep it to 5 days only because 25 would get very expensive. 🙂

With that said, we’re going to be holding a contest everyday from December 10 to 14 to get your holidays off to a great start! Each day, we’ll be announcing 5 winners. Make sure you come back on Dec 10th and check back every day next week!

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Dave

Contest:

Day 5 of 5

‘Tis the season to be jolly! Carolling aside, we hope that our deals are also music to your ears. To help you enjoy all sorts of music, enter for a chance to win 1 of 5 BassPal SoundRo X3 Portable Bluetooth Speakers, please share with us your favourite holiday tunes. Entrants must be an existing Public Mobile customer; please read Contest Rules for more details.

Well, today wraps up our 5-day advent calendar. If you didn’t win anything,have no fear- we still have something for you!

Get $20 for Free When You Sign Up for KOHO with the Code PUBLICMOBILE (until February 14)

The holiday season is a lot of great things, but cheap isn’t one of them! That’s why Public Mobile has partnered with KOHO to help you accelerate your savings and earn a little free money too.

KOHO is a financial tech company whose mission it is to make finances simple and transparent. They offer a slick reloadable Visa card and an integrated app. Get real-time insights into your money, automate your savings goals, and earn instant cash-back on all your purchases. KOHO is also free, because paying bank fees is so 2018.

Download the app now to get $20 when you join KOHO with the promo code PUBLICMOBILE.

The Public Mobile promotional code is available to the first 1000 customers.
Offer only available for Public Mobile customers.

Let’s break it down, step-by-step:

1. Download the KOHO app and sign up with the promo code PUBLICMOBILE

2. Add funds to your KOHO account and make your first purchase

3. You don’t have to wait for your physical card to arrive. Shop online instantly by creating a virtual card in the app!

4. Once you make your first purchase, $20 will instantly be added to your KOHO account

KOHO is backed by some of Canada’s leading investors, and your funds are held securely by Peoples Trust.

Contest Rules: 

Spoiler

Public Mobile Holiday Contest

CONTEST RULES

1.        HOW TO ENTER & ELIGIBILITY

No Purchase Necessary.  To enter entrants must share a response on the Public Mobile Community post sharing their favourite holiday tune(s).

Only one entry per entrant accepted.  No other form of participation is accepted.  In the event of a dispute on the entrant identity, the person who is the holder of the email address specified on the online form will be deemed to be the entrant.

If your entry contains a person, other than the entrant, by entering the contest, you state that you have obtained consent from everyone in the photo. If your photo contains a minor (under the age of 18) parental or legal guardian consent is required.

Contest runs December 14, 2018 only from 9:00AM to 11:59PM ET.

An Entry will be considered void and removed from the Community post if it contains subject matter that, in the opinion of the contest administrators, may violate community standards or is otherwise of questionable taste.

To be eligible, an entrant must be an existing Public Mobile customer and entry must be received on or before end of contest closing date and time. Entrants must be a Canadian resident who are 13 years of age or older and must be a member of the Public Mobile online Community. Contest not open to employees of TELUS Corporation, its affiliated companies or subsidiaries, its sales agents, its advertising and promotional agencies, and members with whom they are domiciled.  By accepting these Contest Rules, entrants agree that any and all liability related to this contest by TELUS is limited to the value of the Prize(s) as defined hereinafter.

1.      THE PRIZE

There will be five (5) prizes awarded in total.  Winner will receive the following prize:

-1 of 5 BassPal SoundRo X3 Portable Bluetooth Speakers (approx retail value $44.99)

Prize must be accepted as awarded and with no substitutions, is not transferable unless set out in the Contest Rules and cannot be exchanged with Public Mobile or cash. Public Mobile reserves the right to substitute the Prize with a Prize of equivalent value if such prize becomes unavailable for any reason.  The chances of winning are dependent upon the total number of eligible entries received.

1.      THE DRAW

A random draw for the Prize will take place at the Public Mobile office located at 25 York Street, Toronto, Ontario the day following the close of the contest (on or about 9:00am ET). Selected entrants will be notified on the Public Mobile Community. If the selected entrant cannot be reached within two (2) business days, or if the selected entrant does not meet any of the contest requirements, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.

In order to win, the selected entrant must correctly answer unaided a mathematical skill-testing question and will be required to sign a standard release form.  If the selected entrant is under the age of majority in his/her province of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian must read and accept these Contest Rules.  Failure to answer the skill-testing question correctly, comply with the Contest Rules or sign and return the release form within two (2) days of receipt will result in disqualification and another entry will be selected until the Prize is awarded. Prize will be delivered to a Canadian address of the winner’s choice within (7) business days after prize has been awarded.

1.      PRIVACY

By entering the contest, entrants consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph, voice and/or image for publicity purposes in all media used by Public Mobile, without payment or compensation.  Entrants agree to TELUS’ use of the entrants’ personal information that may include contacting you regarding limited time offers, promotional offers and/or surveys. Full details are as described in Public Mobiles’ privacy policy located at publicmobile.ca/termsofservice.

1.      OTHER

All entries become the property of Public Mobile. Public Mobile assumes no responsibility for lost, damaged or misdirected entries during the contest period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software and failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Public Mobile on account of technical problems, traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or failure of handset or mobile web browser. Public Mobile reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this contest without prior notice. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are mechanically reproduced, forged, falsified, altered, tampered with, not in accordance with Community standards or unlawful in any way. Entries submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that an entry has been made in an manner not sanctioned by these rules and/or an entrant has submitted more than the number of entries permitted by these rules, the entrant and all of his/her entries will be disqualified.  Entrants agree to abide by the contest rules and the decisions of the contest judges, which are final. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.

Winners:

Spoiler
12/10 ($50 Account Credit): Willaug56, bradman20012, @hultman, Vicky1313, Iorieux

12/11 (PM Swag Bag): lat34hat34, slash407, shartomjam, SD08, mcs11 

12/12 (Die Hard Blu-Ray Collection): @socialcocoon, Sphero, Adrian03, feedo, Sidewinder200

12/13 (Amazon Fire TV Stick): Canadaknows, ooakosiryan, 6500K, eizzor, francis26 

12/14 (BassPro Bluetooth Speaker): @Someone_here@itchyfeet01@ty_89@ntoulany@MacMe

886 REPLIES 886

foophykins
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got a stereo system for $50 2nd hand that we use to this day.

edalgaard
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My best holiday deal was the year that my mother bought us plane tickets to go and meet up with my sister out west! She wanted us to be together even if she stayed home herself. 🙂

Ashleede

I am guessing this is the post we share our responce on for this contest? I do not take direction super well apparently. Haha 

Best deal I ever got was a 60 inch plasma TV with all the bells and whistles originally $2500 for $900! Back when Future shop was still a thing. 

wobb4321

35 bucks from telus

alghosoa

Congratulations!

My best holiday deal: I got hired on a job I like, not exactly a shopping deal. But for me, it saved me.

Have a great Christmas & Happy new year

naddude
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Congratulations on the 5 year mark. I love my PM and the savings. But the support needs a lot of improvement. The messaging system does not work as already said lack of transparency and long delays. Perhaps a messaging or and Facebook messaging system in addition to tickets would help. Thanks again and good luck for the future. 

_parth23

“best holiday deal”. This is amazing not even a year with public mobile and I’m loving, the coverage is amazing works well practically everywhere. 

Ira90211

Best Xmas deal-free cookies that were given away on Xmas eve at our local grocery store bakery.  

Dan-Freeman

A few years ago my now deprated wife and I were visiting my brother & family on Christmas Eve.  We stayed quite late enjoying the libations!  We had to walk home, and when we stepped out we were shocked to be in the middle of a huge storm.  To walk streets would take an hour in good weather, and we were in severe wind and snow!  We tried to cross terrain but the snow was getting too deep, so we went back to walking in the middle of the streets as there was almost no traffic.  We were terribly under dressed and soon freezing.  Out of nowhere a taxi pulled up and the cabbie yelled "get in, " through the window.  We had no money at all and I said so.  "Who said anything about money?  I'll take you home."  And he did, for free!  That miraculous rescue was THE best holiday deal EVER!!!!

tisprili

The best holiday deal I've received was finding out my boyfriend was hiding the fact he had an 8 year old daughter. Unexpected 2 for 1! 

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

My best holiday deal was actually last year when the Google Home Mini was released. Got on for only $35!

darkstar107

The best holiday deal I've gotten was on a set lof Logitech z5500 speakers. I used them for a few years and then sold them for $70 more than what I paid for them

ringleaderguy

the best holiday deal ive ever recieved is an easy one.i got a brand new phone with an unlimitied data and text without a contract and was granted three wishes from santa clause bc i was on the "exceptionlly nice" list that year!!!

Raelippai

Best holiday deal

My best holiday deal was from a watch shop, I ended up getting watches for my 4 family members for 70% off their regular prices! 

Thanks cupido! And thanks for the great phone service public mobile !

Rae

Hugh

I bought a tv at the source for 300$ 65 inches that was the best deal

Thanhhoaphan

Thks, Happy Holidays 

Procykgirl

My best holiday deal so far has been getting an amazing pair of cat ear light-up headphones for over 50% off!

1FBFCE7A-8F6A-4F87-9E63-130A14566B5C.jpeg

DevChen

My entry for the 5 days of giving: The best holiday deal I got was when I helped adopt my sister's cats. They were kittens at the shelter during the holiday time and 2 for the price of 1 since they were brothers 🐱🐱

chantwizzle83

Looking forward to improvements. I've been a customer since October and have been travelling caCana. Service is always quick, even with just 3G.

steven_secord

I'm new to PM. New customer in October(ish). Been crazy happy with the service and definitely the price!

Best holiday deal I can recall is a few years ago, when it was a pretty new concept, buying a year of Netflix for my parents and the "sharing" the account with them. Worked in my favour and have since purchased my own account, but it was a great way to test out the service before going all in myself. Oh, and they still have the account and love it themselves, so it was a win-win. 🙂

bradman20012

The best holiday deal ive ever gotten was in the form of a buy one get one free on winter coats. It was last year and had no idea that type of sale had been on. I ended up getting 2 great jackets for the price of one!! Halton hills outlets baby!!

ryanmobile

My fav deal was getting the instapot for $40

BakerAce

My best holiday deal was to buy a trip this winter to the carribean for 50% off list. I thought that was a pretty good deal for me.

Andrew4

My favorite holiday deal was when I wanted to buy my little brother a welder when he was 16 it's regular price was $650 I got up to till to pay and because it had a scratch on it and it was xmas time they gave it to me for $250 that year I got a big hug and high five from my brother and I got a special memory

lilyzhangsc

Best holiday deal:

3 years ago. Found a Toro snow blower on sale in a small store, price matched in Home Depot for about 50% MSRP. Cat Very Happy

Scotfree

Best holiday sale was a years subscription time (Gaijin.net) which was a very generous 50% in savings.

Angelo1

The best holiday deal for me was 2 years ago, booked a trip to Cuba for my wife and I using my Petro points. The only expense I had was paying the taxes.

I love the service provided by PM.

Ninawells2017

The best holiday deal i have ever gotten was this year at a store that was closing out , every thing was 60-80% off the entire store , i have six kids to buy for , for christmas , it usually cost like 2000 dollars or more on christmas gift , i got everything i need to for my kid , for like 500 , 

sea_monkey

Hope this is going in the right place...my contest entry: I was shopping for an electric fireplace (because our heat pump had stopped working) and found the last one at a big box, and an attendant who didn’t want to count it - so I got a $300 fireplace for $100 and then sold the cabinet for $65 (really only needed the insert).  That was the best holiday deal I can think of right now.  🙂

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Ok

Its not nice but best deal I ever got at Christmas time Cat Wink

Went to local Costco to buy a new DSLR camera

Card gets rejected at check out (?) so just paid cash

Went home and after talking to bank found out (approx) $800 of fraud on card so it was suspended

Bank said they would reimburse me the amount before Christmas

After waiting a few days I called em to yell at em why it was not fixed yet since I actually need to USE my card for Christmas shopping

Person I spoke to said holidays / backlog / etc BUT would manually apply credit and fix card asap

Day later $800 credit and card works again

Bout 2 weeks after than got a memo from bank and they advised $800 credit was applied. AGAIN.

So I got -$800 fraud + $800 adjustment + $800 adjustment in the end

Free money is best deal there could ever be Cat LOL

Need Help? Let's chat.