cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service issue with texts

kenholman007
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can I ask, what I think may be, a simple question? My wife has a plan with no data. She is unable to receive texts until she is within wifi range. Is this a setting on her iPhone or does she need data for texts to come through in real time? Thanks Ken Holman

44 REPLIES 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing wrong with discussion. Again, another perplexing thread for the regulars.

@darlicious wrote:

@kenholman007 wrote:

Can I ask, what I think may be, a simple question? My wife has a plan with no data. She is unable to receive texts until she is within wifi range. Is this a setting on her iPhone or does she need data for texts to come through in real time? Thanks Ken Holman

@will13am 

This what I am not understanding. The $10 50/50 plan is the last plan that was offered with no data. So the OP has either been BYOP customer or the wife isnt a pm customer and he intends to get her a data plan with pm? This is where I'm confused.

I am sure OP is as confused as we are.  A simple question and 5 pages of discussion later...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kenholman007 wrote:

@will13am 

This what I am not understanding. The $10 50/50 plan is the last plan that was offered with no data. So the OP has either been BYOP customer or the wife isnt a pm customer and he intends to get her a data plan with pm? This is where I'm confused.

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 @will13am 

I wasnt trying to say that it would be better to have unthrottled 4G LTE for this customer. I just wanted to point out the advantages or disadvantages for that matter of a no data plan (assuming its the $10 50/50 plan.) Changing now or on the next renewal ( that is not clear either) before exhausting all other possibilities of getting SMS /MMS working seemed like a waste of money since it doesn't really solve the issue.

There is a high likelihood that the sim needs reprovisioning or that there is an issue with the phone itself....

Given the age of OP's community account and the time since the $10 plan has been grandfathered, I don't think the $10 plan is in play here.  You have a dual SIM phone.  If you want to talk really cheap data on SIM 2, we can take the discussion offline as this is not a shopping forum.  

@computergeek541 @will13am 

I wasnt trying to say that it would be better to have unthrottled 4G LTE for this customer. I just wanted to point out the advantages or disadvantages for that matter of a no data plan (assuming its the $10 50/50 plan.) Changing now or on the next renewal ( that is not clear either) before exhausting all other possibilities of getting SMS /MMS working seemed like a waste of money since it doesn't really solve the issue.

There is a high likelihood that the sim needs reprovisioning or that there is an issue with the phone itself....

@will13am wrote:

For low data usage customers, I just don't see how data speed would matter at all. 

How about showcasing some past 3G speedtest results.

I went for a walk about an hour ago and got 28.2/3.95Mbps. That's fine with me even if I had a phone that didn't have LTE compatibility.  I have noticed a drastic indoor performance difference where I live. I suspect that 850MHz HSPA might have become congested in my area. 

As for data speeds, we're discussing this for customers who largely won't be using it, or at least will be using it at a slow rate to consume it.

@darlicious wrote:

@kenholman007 

The $10 50/50 plan is a coveted plan its also one that is grandfathered in so you cannot return to it. SMS does not use data and MMS while it uses data it doesnt go thru the same server so getting data will not change that issue she has with SMS and MMS. It will only ensure she can send iMessage. This can be accomplished by purchasing a data add on which would be full 4G LTE data rather than throttled to 3G speed 4G LTE. You haven't even waited for the moderators to help sort out the problem. You also haven't tried switching sims with your wife to see if the problem occurs in your phone or persists in her phone with your sim. Have you reached out to apple support yet?  Be patient as we go thru each possible scenario to narrow it down to find the solution.

The new $15 plan is way better value.  For $5 more, you get double the minutes, unlimited text and 250 MB data.  When you are required to pay $15/GB for data, I guess coveted may be a choice description.  We all tend to covet expensive purchases.  For low data usage customers, I just don't see how data speed would matter at all.  This is target customer for Public Mobile which is why they can get away with throttling data speeds without impairment to the service.  As we all know, data speed is not throttled on the 3G network, right @computergeek541 ?  How about showcasing some past 3G speedtest results.

@darlicious wrote:

@kenholman007 

The $10 50/50 plan is a coveted plan its also one that is grandfathered in so you cannot return to it. SMS does not use data and MMS while it uses data it doesnt go thru the same server so getting data will not change that issue she has with SMS and MMS. It will only ensure dhe can send iMessage. This can be accomplished by purchasing a data add on which would be full 4G LTE data rather than throttled to 3G speed 4G LTE. You haven't even waited for the moderators to help sort out the problem. You also haven't tried switching sims with your wife to see if the problem occurs in your phone or persists in her phone with your sim. Have you reached out to apple support yet?  Be patient as we go thru each possible scenario to narrow it down to find the solution.

I don't consider the $10 to be coveted. I consider it to be very poor value for the money. When it comes to data add-ons being at regular LTE speeds, Public Mobile would be more than happy to sell people as many data add-ons as a customers wishes. Once again, this would be poor value for the money. Low-usage customers do enjoy this plan largely because of the fact that Public Mobile has given free data out for the last 2 years. However, light-usage customers also aren't as likely to be cocerned with the data speeds.   Customers who use their phones with any regularity are would be unlikely to be on the $10 plan even if it were still offered.   Saying all that, I do have a one of these $10 plans. It's used as nothing more than a place to park a phone number. 

@kenholman007 

The $10 50/50 plan is a coveted plan its also one that is grandfathered in so you cannot return to it. SMS does not use data and MMS while it uses data it doesnt go thru the same server so getting data will not change that issue she has with SMS and MMS. It will only ensure she can send iMessage. This can be accomplished by purchasing a data add on which would be full 4G LTE data rather than throttled to 3G speed 4G LTE. You haven't even waited for the moderators to help sort out the problem. You also haven't tried switching sims with your wife to see if the problem occurs in your phone or persists in her phone with your sim. Have you reached out to apple support yet?  Be patient as we go thru each possible scenario to narrow it down to find the solution.

@kenholman007 

What plan does your wife have ? The $10 50/50 plan? Before you do that.....just confirm her current plan.

kenholman007

Thank you. We have decided to upgrade to include data. It seems like the easiest solution!

LoreckAvery
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

ensure cellular is turned on under “settings” cellular” and sms and mms is turned on under “messages” you can leave iMessage on as that is an Apple feature for iPhones to text each other. HOWEVER if she’s not tech savvy turn it off. If she has Zero data she will not be able to send iMessages and if her phone doesn’t recognize this it will be “lost” until she returns to a wifi area. It’s easy to keep iMessage on she just needs to ensure it says “delivered” after her blue iMessages get sent. If it doesn’t touch and hold on the message and select “send as text” 

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@LurganIeUk wrote:

This is what iPhone 5S apn setting should look like. I just fixed my mother-in-laws 5S yesterday.....do the iOS update if that had not been done yet. 

7ECF6E43-A7AB-4801-8C37-0F3395E825F0.jpeg

This is for setting the APN for tethering (hotspotting), not setting the iPhone's own APN.  You can have two different APNs for different purposes, and the APN for the iPhone's own use is defined by the Carrier Profile.

CalgaryBen

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

APN shouldn't need tweaking...unless it's a iphone 4 or less.

Keep us posted.

Not true .... the 5 5S and SE needs adjusting. 

@hairbag1 is correct.  APN is configured by the Carrier Profile, which was introduced with iOS 8 or so (if memory serves).  The 5/5S, and definitely the SE (1st Gen) all use the Carrier Profile for APN configuration and do not need to (nor can) be set manually.

Message settings that work

7292C543-BB76-43B0-B4F1-376C6B4C12C7.jpeg5A0AFEA2-8782-4301-B816-D8696EC84AE4.jpeg5FDA49E1-DD3D-4D0B-A073-6E09410F6225.jpeg

@kenholman007 wrote:

Thanks again to everyone for their help in trying to resolve this. My wife is using an iPhone 5S. I have changed plans to include data - hoping that will work. I did send a note to the Moderators but didn't receive a reply.

This is what iPhone 5S apn setting should look like. I just fixed my mother-in-laws 5S yesterday.....do the iOS update if that had not been done yet. 

And also you can set up the PM texting to show on other Apple products like iPad or a Mac under her cloud account to send and receive texts, green bubble, from android phones. Both devices must be on wifi or data though. 

7ECF6E43-A7AB-4801-8C37-0F3395E825F0.jpeg

@kenholman007 wrote:

We made all the recommended settings but still unable to get texts through without wifi. Thank you for your efforts. We've given up - it's just too frustrating!

What model of iPhone? Did you reboot it? 

With no data on and and no wifi on....can she text in a green bubble to an android phone?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm no Apple guy but isn't there something about logging out of iMessages and then back in.

Or, is this from one person or everybody?

I think there's also something about de-registering and re-registering too. But I know little about all that.

Bloody Apple. Gotta do things their own stupid way.

Yes iMessage only works if you are logged into your iCloud  account. 

@kenholman007 wrote:

Data enabled. "Send as SMS" also enabled. Still unable to receive texts unless using wifi.

I thought you said she had NO data? So carriers will offer a data block. 

@hairbag1 wrote:

@kenholman007 wrote:

Can I ask, what I think may be, a simple question? My wife has a plan with no data. She is unable to receive texts until she is within wifi range. Is this a setting on her iPhone or does she need data for texts to come through in real time? Thanks XXX XXXXXX

Just ensure that data is enabled as previously suggested. You need iMessage enabled to send / receive iMessages.

APN shouldn't need tweaking...unless it's a iphone 4 or less.

Keep us posted.

Not true .... the 5 5S and SE needs adjusting. 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@kenholman007 wrote:

She needs data for iMessages which are sometimes considered as texts. Does she do iMessage amongst other Apple using either a registered phone number or email address?

She has a plan with no data....with PM?

CalgaryBen

@Dunkman wrote:

I will tag @CalgaryBen.  Not sure if he is around these days.

Might want to consider getting the $15 plan with 250 mb of data each month.  Unlimited texts, incoming Canada minutes and 100 outgoing minutes. 

Yep, tag me and I'll usually check out the thread.  I haven't been around much since the forum seems to be doing fine with the participants present, so no need for me to be superfluous!

You're exactly right.  iPhone-to-iPhone is generally going to be on iMessage... so the sender trying to communicate with @kenholman007's wife is undoubtedly an iPhone user, sending via iMessage.

It's generally unrealistic for an iPhone user to ask all his/her senders to send via SMS only (and not use iMessage), so you're exactly right... adding a data-including plan is the easiest and most practical solution here.

(As an aside, on one of my phones with the $10 plan (i.e. no data), I've either bought data add-ons in the past, or stretched PM's generous data add-on promos to basically support iMessage.  iMessage doesn't really use much data, unless messages contain lots of video/pictures.  An alternative, if I really wanted to live without the data plan, is to completely disable iMessage on the phone (ref: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/ -- doing both parts, even if you have your iPhone)).

Basically, @kenholman007's wife's iPhone registered her phone number on Apple's servers identifying itself as iMessage capable.  When a message is initiated from any iPhone (with iMessage enabled), it will query Apple's servers to see if it's an iMessage capable device, and if so, bubble turns blue and message is queued through iMessage servers; if not, bubble turns green and is forwarded through carrier's SMS service.  Hence, de-registering (removing the phone number) from Apple's iMessage servers should tell the world of iPhone users that it isn't an iMessage eligible recipient, and the problem should be solved.

Of course, with a plan like the $10 plan, which meters SMS (50 outgoing/month), you become limited with the number you can send, so one problem might create another, depending on how you use your device and your needs...

@kenholman007 

@kenholman007 wrote:

If I set the "Send & Receive" to only use the phone number wouldn't that prevent the use of MMS?

No, you should still receive MMS messages.  

kenholman007

If I set the "Send & Receive" to only use the phone number wouldn't that prevent the use of MMS?

@kenholman007 

Have you tried force quitting the messaging app?

Anonymous
Not applicable

That'll give you the ability to use iMessage over cell data like you do with wifi. It'll consume your data. MMS will not and doesn't even need data other than merely being on.

It doesn't fix the issue you're having.

What plan was it on by the way?

Would like to hear results of other ideas that have been bandied about in this thread.

kenholman007

Thanks again to everyone for their help in trying to resolve this. My wife is using an iPhone 5S. I have changed plans to include data - hoping that will work. I did send a note to the Moderators but didn't receive a reply.

@kenholman007 

What model of iPhone is your wife using? Maybe @LurganIeUk  can offer some advice as well. Maybe her model is having an issue. You can try toggling airplane mode on/off in case she has a poor connection.

Have you messaged the moderators? If her sim needs reprovisioning you will need them to do it properly. You could also try removing the sim card for a few minutes and see if that helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this from any and all senders? Or just some?

Maybe it is an account provisioning thing. Two things to try:

1. log in to self-serve, Plans & Add-ons, Lost/stolen - Suspend. Log out. Wait a couple few minutes. Log back in and same place click Resume. Restart phone.

2. Manually add $1 from the pre-registered payment card (assuming you're on autopay). When successful, restart phone.

@kenholman007 

That is frustrating.  

I will tag @CalgaryBen , apple expert on this forum.  Not sure if he is around these days.

Might want to consider getting the $15 plan with 250 mb of data each month.  Unlimited texts, incoming Canada minutes and 100 outgoing minutes. 

A few things to consider:

updating IOS on phone

network reset of phone (will erase wifi settings, etc)

Need Help? Let's chat.