cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change the "locality" of my phone number?

DawsonMark
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Currently calls made from the city I live in to my phone (while I am within the city) register as long distance calls, despite my account  address being current. When I first created the phone number 10 years ago I was living in a different city. Is that city now the permanent locale of my phone number or can I switch it to my current address so that local calls are in fact local?

3 REPLIES 3

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@DawsonMark  Hi there you would neeed to change your phone number to the closest available city that you are in for an example I live in Port Moody I would chose a  Vancouver number as that is the biggest city within an hour drive of me. I would say if your moving 4 or 5 hours away I would change your number to the closest large city to you. Most people have province or canada wide calling.   

Long story short if you are moving  you have 2 choices 

1. Keep your number the same

2. Change your number to the closest local city you are in

if you keep your number  people in your old city can call you for free.  

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@DawsonMark wrote:

Currently calls made from the city I live in to my phone (while I am within the city) register as long distance calls, despite my account  address being current. When I first created the phone number 10 years ago I was living in a different city. Is that city now the permanent locale of my phone number or can I switch it to my current address so that local calls are in fact local?

@DawsonMark   If you're not too attached to your number then you can opt to change it to a local number by selecting Change phone number on the overview page, or by selecting the Plans/Add-ons tab.  Phone number can be changed once every 30 days for free.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DawsonMark 

No. This is outside of any control of the providers. A number is allocated to a place. You can add a 1 in front of the 10 digits so you never hear the old legacy recording. But callers will have their own issues of calling you.

Need Help? Let's chat.