cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will PM match Freedom Mobile's great plans?

Beagles
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Screenshot_20231127-190721.jpg

Screenshot_20231127-190712.jpg

 $24/month with 4GB 4G speeds with digital discount (automatic payments)

OR

$29/month with 20GB 4G speeds with digital discount and an additional $5/month, for 24 months, if you bring your own phone.

Tell me why PM can't even come close to anything like this for their existing customers that have been with them for years? So much for rewarding your loyal customers!

Guess I'll be investigating these plans for my entire family of 4.

16 REPLIES 16

dynamo1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

-

dynamo1

Freedom now has offered for the their prepaid Canada wide text talk data plans $119 for 15gb ($9.92 per month) and $149 for 30 gb ($12.42 per month) per year. They also have wifi calling.  Any chance PM will come up with something? Please!!!

Jakss8w

i think for the price range, PB offer is reasonably fair.

lower price range may be missing. hopefully in the future roll outs.

Senseless
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

My 2 cents.  I have been with Public Mobile since Nov 2016, at the time Public Mobile had the $120/12GB (paid every months), which was a great plan at the time.  Since then, and unlike many other competitors, Public Mobile has never increase my prices.  In fact it's only dropped from referral and loyalty programs.

With regards to comparing prices to other countries, you really can't compare.  Canada is 2nd largest country in the world, and with a low population density.  We need many towers and antennas to service the large landscape, while countries like India are smaller, and they have a very high population density, so 1 tower there can service many more people than 1 tower here.  I am an engineer, and I used to work in the telecom industry, working on many of their towers.  It takes a lot more resources and manpower to build and service all these cell towers.  

Carolccc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Koodo also offer $24-$29/30gb plan, Fido offer $29/30gb for existing customer, new customer get better rate. A couple years ago, PM offer cheaper price than other carrier without phone call customers. Now every company offer similar or better price and give more service, so if PM want more customers. They need to change. Just $29/10gb is so difficult to get for the existing customers. The basic plan $25 is only 1 gb data on 3G network. It is veryuncompetitive. 

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Beagles I agree with the India pricing. It comes down to economies of scale and the consumer market being targeted. Statistically speaking though, Canada has always been the country that pays the most for cellphone plans in the entire world. Hopefully 2023 Black Friday will have left an imprint on the level of competition in the cellphone service industry for years to come. I cannot see how companies can respectfully offer $25/1GB plans after offering us 50gb for $34? The 1gb/$25 plan is like a slap in the face in terms of value. 

Andy85

Looks like Fido wanted a word as well!

They dropped a sick deal which ended November 27! $34/50gb!! 😯

Andy85_0-1701148209802.png

Beagles

Like PM would say when matching plans with another carrier, that is comparing apples and oranges.

India has at least 30X the population of Canada. They are at scale already and can offer ridiculously low rates/plans. IMHO, I don't think we'll ever get to that level of pricing.

Having said that, for PM not to be competitive in Canada and offer similar (not saying exact) pricing plans is utterly mind boggling.

Andy85

Freedom is really disrupting the profits of the big cellphone service providers but there is a long way to go. My colleagues in India pay less than $20 Canadian in total for a year of service with unlimited data. If you want the phone plan that offers only 1gb/day, it costs $7 in total Canadian for 6 months of service.

I agree @Beagles 

PM has 2 levels.   The little to no data buckets in the $15 and $25

Then the ridiculously high data buckets from $34 and up.

They really should offer a $20 plan with 1GB, and perhaps a $25 plan with 3-5GB.   Alas, that would be too customer focused  🙄

Beagles

My bad, the $24 for 4GB includes the $5 discount for auto-pay and the $29 for 20GB includes the $10 credit for auto-pay and bring your own phone. Still, both are great deals.

I'm only getting 1GB for 25 at 3G speeds.

PM can certainly do a lot better for it's loyal customers 

Andy85

@Beagles Wow! Freedom has been very aggressive with their Cyber Monday pricing compared to other companies! Those are amazing deals! If I didn't have legacy rewards, I'd be tempted to switch.

As for matching the offer, Public Mobile will not match Freedom's plan for you specifically although during Black Friday, they have been reactive to all of Freedom's deals by offering them to all clients. IE: $34/40gb.

Who knows how Public Mobile will respond this time?

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Wow $29 for 20GB now! It just keeps getting better.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Beagles 

I believe if you read the 'fine print' the price INCLUDES the discounted means.   

Make sure to read everything before jumping in .... just sayin.

PM's $34 per month for 40GB data at 5G is pretty darn compelling right now.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

PM does not do price matching. What you see is what you get.

This is all trick how NOT to do price matching as all of providers have slightly different plans and offers and their excuse is 'we cannot match apples to oranges'...

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Beagles @Wow freedom at it again , but no PM won’t Macy by contacting support . But it’s possible they bring in similar plan they have followed suit with some of freedoms offers . Fingered crossed we see these plan soon 

Need Help? Let's chat.