cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesla Referral

Kydd
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello Everyone, I'm thinking of buying a Tesla any recommendations Model 3/Y/XorS 

32 REPLIES 32

Kydd

Facts Honda an Toyota are reliable and keep value new car smell will forever be great 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Kydd  True and I don’t begrudge anyone from a new car . I’m just loyal to Honda and Toyota. Never had a problem with either one and I’m hard on my stuff and easy to re sell like having money in the bank . . So i just buy what easy to sell because like you I never keep a car more then 5 years anywyas too usually just 3 year and before 60 thousands and get top doller . You will enjoy any new car I mean at the end of the day what’s not to love about a new car even the smell of it is great 

Kydd

Wow 8 years warranty that's more than enough time . I fortunate to yet keep a vehicle over 5 year . Those other low quality EVs an horror stories have everyone on the fence with Tesla vehicles.. I saw a video Tesla are leaps ahead of the competition in comparison with battery technology they have a 16 way pump first an only of its kind to efficiently distribute thermal energy etc etc 

Kydd

You just never know same can happen to a gas engine all depends on how you use the product 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@dwh1then I’d say you been one of the lucky ones and   With Honda and Toyota you don’t need that warranty . That mathematician have determined you won’t need but pay for . Ever had to use a warranty before I don’t ever get warranty on anything one time I tried they find every reason not to go  good on it . Warranty isint even worth the piece  of paper they write it on in my opinion 

not even  warranty on my iPhone 

dwh1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Handy1 After 4.5 years my battery has lost 4.5% of its range. Don’t compare these to phones - the batteries in current EVs will outlast the car and move onto secondary usages like stationary power. You may have heard stories about Nissan Leaf owners having to pay for replacements, but the Leaf did not have proper battery thermal management - unlike every modern EV design.

For those worried, there’s an 8 year warranty in the powertrain including the battery.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Kydd  Yes but gas is still how musk  manufactured that car and you best hope to sell the car before that battery goes it will cost more then the car is worth .

Kydd

Thank you so much

Kydd

Gas prices are $1.40c today next week it can reach $1.60 per liter I'm not a fan of the guessing game 

Kydd

Increase in electric Bill will still be cheaper then buying Gass we can charge overnight in the garage on low peek rates . Just like charging a cell phone lol . While out I think once your responsible with charging your car before you leave home you won't need to charge while your out . 

But then again you never really know unless you experience it yourself

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@dwh1  Yes maybe but I don’t care about the environment as much as seeing my doller go further and for me that tried tested and true gasoline engines 

Kydd

Most of those articles I take with a grain salt you just never know unless you have the product 

Kydd

Thank you so much for such a detailed response. Sounds like the car is great . I'll continue my research if I do pull the trigger I'll definitely msg you for the referral code 🎉

dwh1

@Handy1 wrote:

@Kydd  I just prefer gas we at the pinnacle of gas engines . And electro don’t have the ranges or do as good in extreme weather . Haven’t yet seen electric car last more then 10 years . It’s all preference but at the end of the day nothing beats the excitement of driving gas burning high reving motor in my opinion the new cars today are boring to drive . Just don’t think electric cars are there yet . And what’s even funnier is here in Nova Scotia some say yes but it’s better for the environment so I’m doing my part plugging in and yet Nova Scotia power still burns coal for energy so it’s smoke screen designed to take you money . It’s why the Toyota 4 runner still has the same old 4.0 motor and the TRD pro trim cost you 80 grand but will be on the road longer then any Tesla and when everyone stuck driving electric broke down cars the will drool for chance to drive a 4Runner and probably worth more then they day it came out 

In the interest of correct information - re the coal burning energy source.  Multiple studies have shown that any EV is cleaner than a gas car even if you have a dirty electricity source.  Obviously a cleaner power supply like that in Quebec or Ontario makes it even cleaner still, but there is no power supply in North America where an EV will not make up for its emissions cost of manufacturer and be cleaner than a gas car during its life.

I still see this concern raised in the media, but it has been studied to death by this point, and there is no concern here. EVs are cleaner.  Period.

@TheSterlinger  Nothing says I love you then giving your loved one a bomb (Tesla) sorry that’s my last dig at musk 

dwh1

@TheSterlinger wrote:

I was watching The National Desk yesterday night and there was a report about Tesla and it said that they are looking into reports of Tesla knowingly covering up faults… 

This is a concern for me as well - at least in terms of its impact on my resale value. All I can say is that in doing about 40,000 km over 4.5 years, my car has never had a significant fault - other than a minor issue with interior trim that was quickly and easily fixed.  Whether newer cars are of the same standard, I can't say.

dwh1

@TheSterlinger wrote:

Remember with an electric vehicle it will run up your hydro bill and you will need go find a charging station whenever your out and about. I do align with @Handy1‘s beliefs about sticking to Honda and Toyota. It’s your choice at the end of the day.

Yes, your hydro bill will increase, but your gasoline bill will go down much more.   I pay $1 to travel 100 km.  How much does it cost in your gas car? 🙂

As for charging stations, the Tesla supercharger network has strong coverage and there are plenty of third party places (which you can use with adaptors now but will all be supporting Tesla/NACS connectors within the next year or two since that connector is now the new North American SAE standard that all automakers are switching to).  In practice, charging really isn't a problem.  And assuming the OP is going to install charging at their house, they can leave the car with an 80% (to protect battery life) charge every morning.  Not having to stand out at a gas station on a cold winter day is a definite bonus.

dwh1

@Kydd No problems in 4.5 years other than a minor interior trim issue that was fixed in my driveway by replacing a clip with a stronger one.  I'll discount the cracked windshield caused by a truck that threw a stone at the car. 🙂

As for costs, I've paid for scheduled maintenance (every two years, for air filter change, brake caliber cleaning, and brake fluid check) for a total of (IIRC) less than $800.  I'm not driving all that much so my fuel savings costs are relatively modest, but the Tesla app says that in 2023 I paid $107 for charging (mostly at home at $0.085 per kWH, using Ontario's evening electricity rates, meaning that it costs me about $1 to go 100 km) and saved roughly $630 in gas costs.  I'm at less than 40,000 km in 4.5 years so you can tell those numbers would be higher if I drove more.

As for some of the other points: range is definitely lower in winter, but so is it for a gas car - if you're mostly driving near home, that's generally obviated by the fact that you can leave your garage with an 80% "full tank" every morning.  And there's never a problem with waiting for heat to come on - my car starts heating up in about 30 seconds.

Caveat: mine is a 2019 and so I can't speak for whether the quality level has gone done since I bought mine, but mine has been impeccable in terms of reliability.

If you would like a Tesla referral code, DM me here with your email address. My understanding is that will give you a cash discount on your purchase while I get referral credits that can be used towards buying accessories (which, I will never use since I won't have referred enough people). I'm offering this as a courtesy in case you don't have another source of a referral code.

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I was watching The National Desk yesterday night and there was a report about Tesla and it said that they are looking into reports of Tesla knowingly covering up faults… 

@TheSterlinger  Yes exactly and while we talking about the best stick to iPhone over android . Better resale also @Kydd   so in the end there still cheaper to own 

just my .02 cents 

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Remember with an electric vehicle it will run up your hydro bill and you will need go find a charging station whenever your out and about. I do align with @Handy1‘s beliefs about sticking to Honda and Toyota. It’s your choice at the end of the day.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Kydd  I have a new gas /turbo car now and hate it no better in gas then its v6 counter part 1sec faster in the 1/4 mile but not fun to drive at all . I don’t know you have lots to consider I also don’t live in congested city either so that helps my influence . Best of luck hope you find the right car for you 

Kydd

Definitely more exciting to drive Gass hearing the Revs that feeling when you change gears . But here in the GTA it's so crowded Gas prices always up and down as for range I rarely drive over 200km per day . Best bet is to get both variants 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Kydd  I just prefer gas we at the pinnacle of gas engines . And electro don’t have the ranges or do as good in extreme weather . Haven’t yet seen electric car last more then 10 years . It’s all preference but at the end of the day nothing beats the excitement of driving gas burning high reving motor in my opinion the new cars today are boring to drive . Just don’t think electric cars are there yet . And what’s even funnier is here in Nova Scotia some say yes but it’s better for the environment so I’m doing my part plugging in and yet Nova Scotia power still burns coal for energy so it’s smoke screen designed to take you money . It’s why the Toyota 4 runner still has the same old 4.0 motor and the TRD pro trim cost you 80 grand but will be on the road longer then any Tesla and when everyone stuck driving electric broke down cars the will drool for chance to drive a 4Runner and probably worth more then they day it came out 

Kydd

Thanks for the link

Kydd

I prefer a brand new Tesla so I can use the full warranty 

Kydd

I have 3 gas vehicle its time to say R.I.P to Gass electric vehicles are the future just the idea of not having to visit a gas station instead plug your car in at home 

Kydd

Besides the concerning stories,within the 4 years no problem? And did you get savings from not having to buy Gass 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@dwh1  Maybe @Kydd  would like to buy it from you !;)

dwh1

I have had a Model 3 for over 4 years and would not buy another Tesla. I’ve enjoyed it and it’s been reliable. However there have been enough concerning recent stories. More to the point though - the problem is Musk. We are all better off with less Musk in our lives. 

I will be selling my car as soon as I can find a satisfactory alternative.  

Need Help? Let's chat.