Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Beginner’s Guide to the Community

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@HALIMACS wrote:

It's been commonly said around here that you'd make much more spending the time collecting and returning bottles for refund, than you would trying to earn money on this Community.  However, you wouldn't get the satisfaction of helping others...

I like that line.

@Amshan: don't do this for the money. 🙂

Hey thanks, @Anonymous , however, my statement isn't entirely accurate...  cleaning up roadsides of discarded refundables does help others keep their roadsides looking clean and 'healthy' - so both involve a type of "community" work that helps others, just in very different ways.  😉

3 REPLIES 3

@HALIMACS 

My elderly neighbour who we used give our empties to recycle and she would give my nephew a $100 gift card at xmas and us an endless supply of garden fresh gai lan and bok choy all year. When she sadly passed away my late partner and our 10 year old nephew started a recycling "company" with my nephew as the boss and "Uncle" as his worker. Every weekend they would do all of the recycling and finish by bringing all of the "returnables" to the recycling depot. We soon learned why our neighbour was so generous....depending on our roommates employment situation my nephew was netting up to $100 a month in empties!

The great thing was whenever we went out instead of me saying "no" everytime he asked me to buy a toy or a soda or candy I would tell him he could buy whatever he wanted with "his" money. We would settle up whenever we got home. He suddenly became very selective in what he chose to purchase and was much happier seeing his loot grow.....and would save it up to buy pokemon cards, a video game or something nice for his mom!

Good for you, @Anonymous 

I see nothing wrong with doing this for those who live in rural areas - it's admirable to see folks doing it these days as it serves the greater good of all in keeping our planet clean.

As far as a rural to urban move, same here.   Now the ditch/roadside collectors use shopping carts as their collection tool and man-oh-man, can those guys ever load those things up.

Quite impressive..  the below would net more in a few days, than a whole month of you and i and @darlicious combined on this dang Community!!!   (aren't we the fools now...)

HALIMACS_2-1620090896903.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS : Funny thing...when I was living in a rural area I would pick up containers partly for that reason. The other simply hey it's as good as silver on the sidewalk with a little effort. I live in a much more urban area now with all that that entails so I leave the containers for others. I'll pick up silver though. 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.