cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People on $15 would you upgrade to the $24 4GB plan if allowed?

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

How many people on $15 would upgrade to the $24 4GB plan if given the choice?

Really curious. This makes a lot of sense since Public Mobile would get more money from each line upgrade. No loss due to downgrading.

I’ll start. I would switch 2 lines.

36 REPLIES 36

Jonavin

Despite being able to get the $24 4GB, I ended leaving PM because of the recent changes. No more non expiring addons and changes to the old rewards program forced to new program. 

It has been a good run since about 2016. Thanks you everyone. See you somewhere else in the future. I've spread my wings to freedom.

OliviaLuong1
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

Yes, I will switch.  I was on the $15 plan.  As I needed more data and Public Mobile imposed a 30 day expiry on data purchase, I switched to the $25 plan.  The 4G $24/plan is ideal for you.  Why should I pay $1 more but get less data (1Gb vs 4Gb)?  I hope that they will extend this offer to existing customers.  

SwishyWashy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am on the $15 plan and was just offered this.  I am considering switching because I can't buy non-expirable top-up data any longer.  I'd buy an overpriced 1Gb which would last me the year and supplement the 250 MB on my plan.  With my credits (old system), I can get 4gb for $17 after my credits.  This is just over what my plan started out as (well, I had some bonus credits), but it seems reasonable for us value-minded folks. 

Jonavin

I tend to agree. The community postings are meant to give a sense of user reactions to different service offerings and changes. That’s what this thread was meant to do.

Anyone who still wants this should probably still need to create a ticket unless they open it up for everyone. Good luck. It’s evident from other internet sources that some people are getting this but not everyone.

Kydd
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It's now 34$ for 50gig 5g .. this should definitely be offered to existing customers who paying same or less 

@aakk wrote:

I just created ticket regarding the $24 and $34 plans not being available for existing customers and suggest all interested in switching to any of the plans submit the ticket to customer support. Conversation within the community chat won’t be heard by the decision makers.

I see it as the other way around.  It's the marketing department that needs to hear your concerns, and the marketing departments main method of communication to members is this Community website.

@hTideGnow wrote:

Hi @Fdrcamb 

if you want to have your voice heard, you need to talk to CS agent directly.   please submit a ticket with CS Agent here:
       https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437                     

I don't entirely agree with this.  Customer support agents are not involved in the decision making of the plans being offered to either new or existing customers.

Fdrcamb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you, the more voices heard the better 

aakk

I just created ticket regarding the $24 and $34 plans not being available for existing customers and suggest all interested in switching to any of the plans submit the ticket to customer support. Conversation within the community chat won’t be heard by the decision makers.

hi @Fdrcamb 

let me tell you, the Community is for customers like you and me help each other.  CS agent and staff do not monitor here.  So, you are just talking to customers here who cannot help to bring you good deals

Fdrcamb

If l need to have my voice heard why are you saying l need to speak with a cs, regarding a plan, this is called community.

Hi @Fdrcamb 

if you want to have your voice heard, you need to talk to CS agent directly.   please submit a ticket with CS Agent here:
       https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437                     

Fdrcamb

I really wished more people would go on to the community and request this plan, Pm would be aware and make the move for what their costumers are asking, oh well, tried.

Jonavin

That’s ok solution. I also found out the following solutions

1. Freedom annual plans $149/year for 30GB (about 2.5GB for $12.42/mknth)

2. Lucky Mobile $20 3GB/month.

aakk

For sure, but existing customers are second class clients that not allowed to benefit from good offers due to their loyalty 

publicho
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I want too! Sadly they don't allow me. Thinking if I should switch to somewhere else. Don't want to change to $34 plan but $15 plan offers too little. 

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Jonavin , at one time I may have taken the $24 4 GB at 3G Speed plan offer but Rogers recently made me an offer for $25 3 GB at 5G Speed Plan with Wi-Fi Calling & eSIM right before my Public Mobile $15 250 MB at 3G Speed plan was going to switch to the $34 40GB at 5G Speed plan which I didn't need that much data but there was nothing offered lower priced with enough data!

• $25 3 GB at 5G Speed Plan
  • Access to 5G/5G+ network
  • 3 GB at speeds up to 250 Mbps.
    Data at reduced speeds thereafter
  • Unlimited Canada-wide talk and text'
  • Unlimited international texting and picture/video messaging from Canada

xiv
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Jonavin I am on the 15$ plan, and I don't plan on switching. I am a low-data user as @Handy1 describes, so I don't need anything more than the 250MB allocation. I also don't need the unlimited minutes that the other plans offer. So I'll be happily sticking to the CRTC-mandated plan.

And to add to @will13am 's comment about 3G network, it's actually the only way to avoid all those pesky Amber alerts that you can't turn off under LTE or 5G.

So I'm all set, and I'm not changing anything.

-xiv

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Jonavin  Thinking more about your question , I don’t think most would switch and I say that because if your already a low data user and are on the $15 plan your not that concerned about data in the first place I think that’s true even for the $25 plan. Both cheap plans in their own rights . And the $40 mark for a plan was always a middle of the road priced plan . I joined PM on 5GB $40 plan back in 2018 . So naturally anytime a plan came out with more day for same price I was grinning ear to ear . Even if I don’t need that extra data , and so now it seems with all the different plans that came out this year the $40 priced mark plans from my view are now seen as expensive plans now . And I still think they are just that middle priced plans that still offer the very best value . And the $15-$25 plans as cheap plans . So I wonder if the questions should be is data  more needed now then before with better phones being used taking more memory and using more data with picture messaging and streaming etc. then should one simple just choose to get off the cheap plan and pay a middle road price to plan that would otherwise be overkill for their needs then to have to buy expiring data add ons (30day expiry after purchase now ) which was a blow to the community . Because I feel if you choose data being more needed now then before when one joined on the $15 plan the 4GB or even 5GB isn’t enough either anymore . And as I said I started on the 5GB $40 3G plan and to 4G I smiled and I never used all that data . Fast forward today and typically I use 20GB so that 5GB will no longer work but I still pay for a plan that has double the day I need just incase and that’s without breaking the bank on middle of the road plan .hope when I re read this after listing I don’t have a bunch of edits LOL feeling so long winded with that reply . And merry Christmas everyone 🙂

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Not i, @Jonavin 

$15 more than suffices for me with an unlimited work data plan.   😉

Fdrcamb

I agree with you 100%  it would be be a win win situation for Pm and costumers. Happy costumers stay. I’ve been with Pm for almost 4 years and very satisfied as a family we have 4 lines, the 4gb for 24 would be really nice. 

Jonavin

TBH I could stay in this $15 plan forever if those non-expiring data addons were still available. They were good value to buy from time to time. The other great thing previously was the relatively cheap US roaming. Every has changed.  

This line is for my mom. She’s low usage.  For my own personal usage I’m already on plans with basically unlimited data.

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Yes @will13am it's the $25 3G plan. TBH I rarely use the data that comes with it. Heck, I have 30GB that comes with my Telus phone and I rarely go near 3GB of data. 

And, granted this is just my opinion, I think the 3G network just bogs down the other networks. Not even sure why there is a 3G network when it's 2024. It's time to follow suite with the US and remove 3G and place everyone on 4G. I guess we'll see what happens to all our accounts in 2026. 

You are mixing up 3G speed plan with 3G network.  3G speed plans can run on any of 3G/4G/5G networks.  It is the traffic shaping that defines 3G speed plan performance, not the network.  In fact, there is no traffic shaping for any plan when running on the 3G network.  You will find that the 3G speed plan yields slightly better performance when running on the 3G network.  

Yes @will13am it's the $25 3G plan. TBH I rarely use the data that comes with it. Heck, I have 30GB that comes with my Telus phone and I rarely go near 3GB of data. 

And, granted this is just my opinion, I think the 3G network just bogs down the other networks. Not even sure why there is a 3G network when it's 2024. It's time to follow suite with the US and remove 3G and place everyone on 4G. I guess we'll see what happens to all our accounts in 2026. 

Not just that @sainttt . The $39 is capped at 50GB. The $40 plan is max speeds to 60GB then unlimited after that but throttled. 

Not worth it to port out and back in @Jonavin you would lose your old rewards .i advised against that . Just keep an eye out they do offer “us “ existing customers these sorta plans to as @Chalupa_Batman  mentioned he was offered the 5GB for $25 similar deal . And note this past Black Friday the 40GB for $34 was available to existing customers . So good chance existing will see these plans again sometime . Or maybe you will be one of the ones to get the targeted offer by text next time they do that and keep those old rewards intact .

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Well, they offered me $25 5GB offer in a text several months ago. I took it. So I guess I got the deal I wanted. 🙂

This deal being offered is to get people in the door. Into the used car dealership. Then, eventually, folks will upgrade to something more new and shiny. 

That is the 3G speed plan?  I took the deal as well and then switched some of the accounts over to the $29/10GB plan which is a little bit of overkill.  I am finding the traffic shaping on the 3G speed plans to be too aggressive to the point that it can be quite unusable.  I would not mind cutting back on the monthly costs though.  I doubt that Public Mobile would be interested in me saving a few bucks of month.  

hi @Jonavin 

or you can port out your line and port back in as a new activation if you really want the $24 deal

Jonavin

Doesn’t help if you just need a bit of data. $39 for 50GB isn’t a great deal since many carriers, including PM, had it for $34 or less. It’s a whole different level of usage. And going from $15 to $39 is more than double the budget that is needed per month.

I’ve been recommending the Freedom annual plans for those who needs little data and where the network works for them.

@sainttt wrote:

Yeah it is pretty weird! $1 for 10GB? 

HI @sainttt marketing strategy, this is how they try to promo you the plan they really want you to get  🙂 

Need Help? Let's chat.