cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid (7/yr) Textnow number as backup? Any services that don't work?

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I wasn't sure where else to ask this, but I've wondered if anyone else uses this service? I'd like to have a separate phone number for things like mainly short codes, from places like say gmail, Instagram, coinbase, skip the dishes, ebay etc those type places where they may require 2fa but that I'd rather not use my real number which is connected to my banking and government services, etc. To protect my number even more but could lead to less spam too. 

But I did read there is the caveat that some services don't allow voip period which would defeat the purpose.

So I just wonder if anyone uses, and if so have you run into any services that *don't work, even with the $7/year paid version? 

I know this may sound slightly paranoid, I'll own that lol. But I've had my one real number since I've had a number, really rather not mess with that by all these newer 2fa connections 😉

Saw that its an option and been thinking about trying it a while now. But if things I'll use it for won't work anyway, I won't bother lol

13 REPLIES 13

@srlawren wrote:

@Meow wrote:

but I am NOT giving Google my cell number, period.

@Meow don't worry, I'm sure they know it already.  

@Yummy's, too.

I am little bit TIRED of people making such stupid jokes.

There is NOWHERE in Public Mobile service agreement statement that TWO or MORE people from the same household CANNOT have accounts at PM and post in Community same day or within same hour.

Will you PLEASE stop with such 'funny' comments.

@srlawren 

Lol!!😅😆😆😂😂😂....but you do know they are actually two different people?! 😃

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Meow wrote:

but I am NOT giving Google my cell number, period.

@Meow don't worry, I'm sure they know it already.  

@Yummy's, too.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Pawprints1986 

You don't actually have to watch the ads....just tap the video as you do something else like post on the community.

Pawprints1986

I can't even imagine how long it might take to "earn" $7 even if it would work for number lock! Lol

@Meow   Earn money by watching video (fancy name for boring AD  😉  ) cannot be used for the $7 number lock.  I believe you can only use it for Long Distance calls at the moment

@Meow 

You can always collect cans and bottles to pay for it.

@softech wrote:

Also, try to see if the short code sent to you before paying $7.  If you get the message like I did, then pay the money  🙂

That is exact message I got when I tried to use TextNow with Canadian number to receive short codes. If that service is worth to you for $7 then it is well spend money.

I am wondering if their 'earn credits' could be used to cover that, but is is very loooong way to earn $7...

Also, try to see if the short code sent to you before paying $7.  If you get the message like I did, then pay the money  🙂

Pawprints1986

@softech that's an interesting idea, getting a US number... I'll have to look into that too! Wonder if there are any additional perks ! 🤔

@Pawprints1986  I had a different experience with TextNow, good experience.  TextNow actually getting Google short code without issue after you pay $7.  

In fact, without paying the $7, I got a message from TextNow saying... "Get verification codes with Lock in Number..",   Then i paid $7 and I got the code.

I got a US phone number from textNow, not sure if it makes any difference

TextNow and Fongo will not accept short codes.

TextNow will (as per their site) if you pay for that feature.

Tried both app for Service Canada My Account and it did not work. Same with short codes from Google (verify account, etc.) but I am NOT giving Google my cell number, period.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Interesting thought, @Pawprints1986.  I wasn't aware that some services won't accept a VoIP-based SMS number.  Do you have more info on that?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.