cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My credit card was used in fraudulent transactions

Samuel112
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, 

I have saved my debit VISA for autopay but the auto pay never occurred, So Yesterday I had to go in and initiate the pay. After paying, I noticed my credit card was used in two fraudulent transactions ( see attachment). I am asking Public Mobile to fix this mess!71B4A627-5EF7-4C97-BBFA-1D225549382F.jpeg

I called the bank ....currently I am over  $900 short in cash

12 REPLIES 12

Andrea-N

That’s extremely strange. I’ve used autopay for the entire time it’s been avail and I’ve never had an issue. My husband friends parents and kids no issues. 

Is it possible that you for hacked from somewhere else? Just thinking of other possibilities is all. That’s sad and pathetic whom ever did that to you tho. So sorry  this is happening to you

I've moved this thread from Paying for your service to The Lounge because there isn't any way for Public Mobile to refund the member for charges made by another company.  Since the charges are not from recognized companies, the only resolution is to contact the credit card issuer to dispute the charges, cancel the card, and have the card replaced.  As for the possiblity of someone somehow stealing the credit card number by accessing the Public Mobile system, I don't see any indication of that.  I'm not saying that isn't possible, just that it's just as likley that this could happen based on card usage on any other website, or a card being potentially cloned from in-store usage.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Samuel112 wrote:

The reason I said PM should fix the mess is because that the only place my credit card is saved and I never had issues with other online vendors. 

@Samuel112 wrote:

4. I have used my debit credit card to purchase online stuffs and this was the only time it was compromised.

@Samuel112 Just becuase you never saved your card number anywhere else does not guarantee your credit card info wasn't compromised somehow, either online or in person (other responders have mentioned ways cards can be skimmed or otherwise cloned).  

You said you called the bank, did you get them to cancel the card and report those two transactions as fraudulent?  It may take a little time, but they should credit you back after their own investigation.

If someone at PM or a 3rd party partner was leaking your card info, they would be leaking others as well, and we would see a flood of these posts here.  Yours is the only one I've seen so far.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Samuel112 wrote:

Thank you for those who replied to me. The reason I said PM should fix the mess is because that the only place my credit card is saved and I never had issues with other online vendors. 

Just for your info: 

1. I went to PM website from my work computer and my office is on a high protected network.

2. No way malicious codes can be installed on my work computer.

3. The incident occurred after I made a transaction to reactivate my Autopay( I clicked on reactivate button to initiate the Autopay)

4. I have used my debit credit card to purchase online stuffs and this was the only time it was compromised.

i think someone who has access to PM clients info may have detected my transaction and just used my card ....it saved right there.

anyways, I do not expect PM to assume responsibility for now but at least do some investigations. What happened to me will happen to another Autopay user. Most companies accept errors when the media and legal institutions are involved. I am warning you.

A question: should you guys trust this system and keep your credit cards up there? 

For me I don’t. Autopay is the easier way of paying ( automatically) but after this incident, I am so disappointed. I am still $900 short as I write this message 

It's almost certainly not PM that leaked it, as others have mentioned by now other people would be chiming in. I'm sure many of us have checked our statements after seeing your post and others would be confirming by now. Assuming your network/work computer is as Fort Knoxy as you suggest, that doesn't preclude you from getting skimmed in other ways. Do you use or even carry that card in public ever? Do you check every terminal you use your card on/in before using the terminal? Just for fun, when was the last time you checked the slot on an ATM? When was the last time you gave your card to someone like a waiter/server/clerk? Ever have someone bump into you on the same side as you carry your wallet, as in near enough to pick up on your card's RFID through your wallet/pocket/purse? There are so many ways to skim the card. Various kinds of electronic pickpocket devices are out there and in fact most of them are dirt cheap too. Also I will proactively appologize right now if others do crop up and this is a PM issue. I don't believe that PM is to blame here, but if they are, well then I will certainly help in the crusade! 

nezahkard
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Have you used your credit card at any gas pumps, gas stations, or ever used the swipe instead of chip or tap on your card?

If so, it's likely that the place where you did so is more likely. I've had the same thing happen to me before. It's unlikely -- as others have stated -- that PM was responsible for the leak as it would be much more widespread.

The only other possibility if you have never used a swipe function on your card is that your workplace has visibility on your computer and someone wrote down your numbers, or -- based on the sports tickets -- a family member is using your card. I've seen that happen a lot too...

Unlikely a one off-leak of data from Public Mobile, and no one else is experiencing this issue.  Definitely call your bank/Visa issuer.

Samuel112

Thank you for those who replied to me. The reason I said PM should fix the mess is because that the only place my credit card is saved and I never had issues with other online vendors. 

Just for your info: 

1. I went to PM website from my work computer and my office is on a high protected network.

2. No way malicious codes can be installed on my work computer.

3. The incident occurred after I made a transaction to reactivate my Autopay( I clicked on reactivate button to initiate the Autopay)

i think someone who has access to PM clients info may have detected my transaction and just used my card ....it saved right there.

anyways, I do not expect PM to assume responsibility for now but at least do some investigations. What happened to me will happen to another Autopay user. Most companies accept errors when the media and legal institutions are involved. I am warning you.

A question: should you guys trust this system and keep your credit cards up there? 

For me I don’t. Autopay is the easier way of paying ( automatically) but after this incident, I am so disappointed. I am still $900 short as I write this message 

Phayeser

In addition, and on a second thought....

If you just entered your credit card online, and are getting these types of payments made on your card, you likely have some form of spyware installed on your computer that has obtained your credit card number.  I would highly suggest investing in some anti-virus software to protect against these types of malicious software.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Samuel112 wrote:

Hi, 

I have saved my debit VISA for autopay but the auto pay never occurred, So Yesterday I had to go in and initiate the pay. After paying, I noticed my credit card was used in two fraudulent transactions ( see attachment). I am asking Public Mobile to fix this mess!71B4A627-5EF7-4C97-BBFA-1D225549382F.jpeg

I called the bank ....currently I am over  $900 short in cash

Are you suggesting Public Mobile leaked your credit card information? Sports Hub Tix has nothing to do with PM (nor does the Emergency thing), so unless PM is responsible for your account being compromised not sure what you are expecting from them. Your best course of action is to talk to your bank and VISA provider to activate their fraud protection. Have your card turned off before any more charges occur. Odds are quite high that your system is infected with malware/spyware or you may have used public wifi which was infected.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

What's this got to do with Public Mobile? 

Do what you gotta do for wrong transactions otherwise. 

Phayeser

You should call your bank/VISA immediately and they will put a hold and reverse these previous transactions, if they were not made by you.  It is likely not Public Mobile who has made these, but just so happened to be around the same time.

Your bank insures your VISA debit against these types of transactions, so they will have no problem looking into it for you.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

I am not sure PM is responsible for the first 2 is the third one not your plan cost?

Need Help? Let's chat.