cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

TELUS introduces unlimited (512Kb) Data Plans

I see that TELUS has just added an unlimited/no overages data option where once your full speed allotment is exhausted for the month you will still have much slower data at 512Kb to keep you going. This one-ups Bell & Rogers version of this plan that drops data speed to 256Kb. As far as I know this is the first time TELUS has offered endless data so I can’t help wondering if down the road PM may offer some plans with similar arrangement.

 

Terry

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: TELUS introduces unlimited (512Kb) Data Plans

That is over 165 GB for the month if you are leeching flat out!

 

What is the lowest priced plan though?

Oracle

Re: TELUS introduces unlimited (512Kb) Data Plans

I am going to guess Public Mobile will not follow the same course.  This is a sub brand of Telus, intended for a different segment of the market.  Overlap would make little sense as those Telus plans are expensive.  This brand is for those wanting to spend a lot less every month on their cell bill.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: TELUS introduces unlimited (512Kb) Data Plans


@AE_Collector wrote:

I see that TELUS has just added an unlimited/no overages data option where once your full speed allotment is exhausted for the month you will still have much slower data at 512Kb to keep you going. This one-ups Bell & Rogers version of this plan that drops data speed to 256Kb. As far as I know this is the first time TELUS has offered endless data so I can’t help wondering if down the road PM may offer some plans with similar arrangement.

 

Terry


Looks like the Big 3 are all going after Freedom Mobile.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: TELUS introduces unlimited (512Kb) Data Plans

I wish them the best then. I am moved over from Freedom and my calls were constantly getting dropped and service was sketchy in popular areas.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: TELUS introduces unlimited (512Kb) Data Plans

In case those who are interested here is Telus' page about the plan.

 

This conicides of the CRTC annoucement.

Mayor / Maire

Re: TELUS introduces unlimited (512Kb) Data Plans


@AE_Collector wrote:

I see that TELUS has just added an unlimited/no overages data option where once your full speed allotment is exhausted for the month you will still have much slower data at 512Kb to keep you going. This one-ups Bell & Rogers version of this plan that drops data speed to 256Kb. 


@AE_Collector a small step in the right direction but still far too slow for anything but simple email and instant messaging, IMHO.  This is 1/6th the speed of PM's throttled "3G" speed plans offered today.  Yikes.


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: TELUS introduces unlimited (512Kb) Data Plans


@srlawren wrote:

@AE_Collector a small step in the right direction but still far too slow for anything but simple email and instant messaging, IMHO.  This is 1/6th the speed of PM's throttled "3G" speed plans offered today.  Yikes.


Oh for sure, it’s just “emergency only data”, significantly slower than PMs “3G like” data speeds. I think it is after using 10 Gb of LTE data at Telus so in my mind that is just a nice insurance policy where 10 Gb is usually more than enough so you don’t bother to pay close attention and suddenly get a big data overage bill. Or on plans like PM’s, suddenly your data quits working when you burn it all up a couple of days too soon. Suddenly 512 Kb speed would be a whole lot better than 0 Kb!

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: TELUS introduces unlimited (512Kb) Data Plans


@bridonca wrote:

That is over 165 GB for the month if you are leeching flat out!

 

What is the lowest priced plan though?


@bridonca  $75 for 10 Gb of LTE then 512 KB speed until the end of the month.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: TELUS introduces unlimited (512Kb) Data Plans


@will13am wrote:

I am going to guess Public Mobile will not follow the same course.  This is a sub brand of Telus, intended for a different segment of the market.  Overlap would make little sense as those Telus plans are expensive.  This brand is for those wanting to spend a lot less every month on their cell bill.


Yes quite possibly they will not go that route. I am a little surprised that PM resists offering a plan larger than 8.5 Gb but that may have been to avoid getting too close to TELUS big $ Plans. Now that TELUS is offering unlimited data, rather than an unlimited data offer from PM maybe they might offer a larger data plan for a little higher cost. While 512Kb would likely be somewhat painful, 10 Gb of LTE and then unlimited 512 Kb data speed for $75 is getting closer to PM’s 8.5 Gb of ~3Mb data speed. At the moment though, the unlimited data plans from TELUS are “limited time offers” but time will tell.

 

Terry